View Full Version : Skating and bodyart

Mercedeslove
09-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Okay I have many tattoos and piercings. The only ones you can see are my ears and eyebrow.

My tattoos are more visable however. Are there any rules about this? Does anyone else skate with their body art?

Pretty sure this has been asked before, but i didn't find anything scrolling back so...

Sonic
09-03-2006, 03:56 AM
Good question.

I have several tatoos, on of them is a band round my arm. The last (and only) competition I did I wore a long sleeved dress so it was hidden anyway. I wore a nose stud an no-one commented on that.

I would imagine tatoos and piercings are fine, as long as they're not excessive.

S xxx

TashaKat
09-03-2006, 04:14 AM
As a lot of judges are still quite 'old school' I would hide what I could. I don't know that tattoos are against the rules and Denise Biellman does have a tattoo around her navel which looks very effective with a toned bod :)

Skate@Delaware
09-03-2006, 07:51 AM
I'm not sure about judging for tests, but for our ice shows, all visible tatoos must be covered. One of our ladies doesn't like to do this (one of hers is rather large) but she does it.

She uses a large bandage, but I imagine Dermablend would work quite well if any part of it sticks out beyond your dress.

NCSkater02
09-03-2006, 08:33 AM
I just got my first tattoo this past spring, and I thought long and hard about where to put it. Knowing all the places little old break bones was helpful, so that when I'm 80 and fall and break my hip on an axel attempt 8O the incision wouldn't cut my tattoo. I also wanted it to not be visible when I skated.

I wound up putting it on my outter thigh. It clearly shows through one pair of tights, but I routinely wear two, and it doesn't show.

My artist has already said my next one would be a pair of skates.:lol:

Skate@Delaware
09-03-2006, 01:24 PM
I'm thinking of getting one on my lower back...so it will peek out above my bikini. So, unless I wear a very revealing ice dance costume I might have a problem 8O otherwise, it will be ok....

dbny
09-03-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm sticking to jewelry: easy on, easy off. For a long time I thought my girls might get some tattoos, but they have both decided against. Younger DD does have multiple piercings, many of which she did herself. I just read in the NY Times that tattoos are becoming pretty mainstream, so in a few more years, there shouldn't be a problem anywhere, IMO.

Skate@Delaware
09-03-2006, 04:13 PM
My daughter and I were skating one day and she was spinning soooo fast---she spun her chandelier earrings right off her ears!!!! One went to the boards and it was hard to get out of the crack, the other went right where I was going to jump.....it was hilarious!!! I've never seen that happen before! They were on the fishhook wires and she didn't have the little stoppers on. Now and again I ask her if she wants to take her earrings off before she skates 8O

Sk8pdx
09-03-2006, 09:37 PM
I have had an internal debate about getting my navel pierced. As for tattoos, I would pick a design out of one of the old school figures books and have it placed near my ankle. :lol:

sue123
09-03-2006, 10:58 PM
My daughter and I were skating one day and she was spinning soooo fast---she spun her chandelier earrings right off her ears!!!! One went to the boards and it was hard to get out of the crack, the other went right where I was going to jump.....it was hilarious!!! I've never seen that happen before! They were on the fishhook wires and she didn't have the little stoppers on. Now and again I ask her if she wants to take her earrings off before she skates 8O

That is why I am afraid of wearing earrings when i skate. I love my jewelry, especially the funky earrings, but I'm always paranoid I'll lose them. It's not that they cost a lot of money (I think all my fun earrings are all less than $10) but I'm afraid they'll fall out on the ice, and I won;t notice until I skate over it adn break my neck.

As for tattoos, I don't have any, and don't think I'll ever get one just because I'm a very indecisive person and I don' want to get stuck with something that I like for a month then can;t stand afterwards. My tastes change very fast, even when it comes to clothes. One minute it's the whole hipster look with Converse and low rise jeans and logo shirts, and then other times it's the more conservative traditional style. So no way could I get a tatoo, I'd change my mind so much. But I don't think it would be a problem when it comes to testing or competitions. They're supposed to judge your skating, not what your body looks like or what you may have on it.

Mercedeslove
09-04-2006, 01:40 AM
I have had an internal debate about getting my navel pierced. As for tattoos, I would pick a design out of one of the old school figures books and have it placed near my ankle. :lol:

I have two navel rings, I also have a tattoo around my belly button. I actually get a lot of compliments on it when I practice. My coach loves them, and the figure skating director thought the were pretty cool.

I also have two...yes two tongue rings. Then this weekend I got my eyebrow pierced again.

One day I'll get around to posting links of my artwork for those who might be interested.

Mercedeslove
09-04-2006, 01:42 AM
I'm sticking to jewelry: easy on, easy off. For a long time I thought my girls might get some tattoos, but they have both decided against. Younger DD does have multiple piercings, many of which she did herself. I just read in the NY Times that tattoos are becoming pretty mainstream, so in a few more years, there shouldn't be a problem anywhere, IMO.

Yeah I'm thankful that tattoos are no longer "the mark of the devil himself" because I love my art.

In a weird way it made me more open with people. I use to not talk to strangers a lot. Now they ask me about my art and such and I'm all urge to tell them about it.

Mercedeslove
09-04-2006, 01:43 AM
I'm thinking of getting one on my lower back...so it will peek out above my bikini. So, unless I wear a very revealing ice dance costume I might have a problem 8O otherwise, it will be ok....

I have a heart with flames around it on my lower back. A lot of my tattoos have to do with fire. I'm not a pyro just a firefighter.

Mercedeslove
09-04-2006, 01:45 AM
That is why I am afraid of wearing earrings when i skate. I love my jewelry, especially the funky earrings, but I'm always paranoid I'll lose them. It's not that they cost a lot of money (I think all my fun earrings are all less than $10) but I'm afraid they'll fall out on the ice, and I won;t notice until I skate over it adn break my neck.

As for tattoos, I don't have any, and don't think I'll ever get one just because I'm a very indecisive person and I don' want to get stuck with something that I like for a month then can;t stand afterwards. My tastes change very fast, even when it comes to clothes. One minute it's the whole hipster look with Converse and low rise jeans and logo shirts, and then other times it's the more conservative traditional style. So no way could I get a tatoo, I'd change my mind so much. But I don't think it would be a problem when it comes to testing or competitions. They're supposed to judge your skating, not what your body looks like or what you may have on it.

I'm like that with things I wear, but when I got my tatoos. I knew I wanted them and I love them.

I get that 'wait until you're 80 and they're all wrinkly'.

I don't care. I like them and who cares what I look like when I'm 80. For crying out loud I'll be 80!

rlichtefeld
09-04-2006, 03:18 AM
If you are ever thinking about skating pairs, I would suggest you don't get a navel ring. My 2nd to last pairs partner had a navel ring, and I hit it several times on throw jumps and we had issues on the platter lift because of it. Hers was so old, it wouldn't unscrew, and she didn't want to have it cut off.

I know I may be of a minority opinion, but being a bit older (age Class IV as of this past Thursday), I've never seen a tattoo that made a woman any more attractive. To me, it is like throwing paint on a masterpiece. I have many friends who have them, and I can appreciate the art of the particular piece, but it doesn't add to the whole effect. But, that's my opinion, and it's the only one I have.

And, as a competition chair of an all-adult event that interacts A LOT with judges and referrees, and has quite a few friends that are judges, my best recommendation for you would be to cover them for tests and comps. Let your skating express yourself at that particular time.

Rob

AW1
09-04-2006, 06:10 AM
At our recent State Championships there was a young (maybe late 20's - mid 30's ?) girl who had 2 giant angel wings tatooed on her back. They were as big as her back and she wore a completely backless dress - not something I would've done, but each to their own I suppose.. :??

Skate@Delaware
09-04-2006, 06:49 AM
I never would have thought about getting a tattoo when I was younger, but it's something I've been thinking about lately and I'm almost 45.

Sue123, if you want to toy with the idea but don't want anything permanent, you can always get a decal. I've seen some that were really nice and I'm told they last a while. I might get one while I decide where to place the design.

As far as a belly ring...I've got pudge and I just don't think it would look attractive, although I've been told by others to go for it. The verdict is still out.

Isk8NYC
09-04-2006, 10:45 AM
I have two students whose father is a dermatologist. The local paper just ran a huge article about his work in removing tattoos. It takes several sessions and is somewhat painful. I think some tattoo artists also do "semi-permanent" bodyart using permanent markers. Might be nice for a tryout or special occasion, if you aren't ready to commit to a permanent tattoo.

I have to say, the thought of injecting dye/ink under my skin grosses me out. After going to waterparks and seeing the results of weight gain on both genders' tattoos...no interest whatsoever. Right now, the teenager in my house agrees with me. Whew!

As for skating, try to be like Marilyn Monroe - you want to present an image and not let any one thing distract the judges. A bandage, or dermablend makeup is your best bet if the tattoo shows.

icedancer2
09-04-2006, 11:23 AM
As for tattoos, I would pick a design out of one of the old school figures books and have it placed near my ankle. :lol:

I LOVE this idea -- probably the only time I've ever considered a tatoo of any kind!!!

Let's see -- Loops, or maybe counters... Rockers? Certainly not the BO 8! (My current nemesis).

Mrs Redboots
09-04-2006, 01:58 PM
I'm not really into tattoos or body piercing (one hole in each ear has been enough for me). But I do occasionally use a temporary tattoo, just for fun.... and Husband did put some on when we did Leader of the Pack - and then rubbed his arms raw trying to get them off afterwards, not realising one should use surgical spirit! Duh!

One senior dancer of my acquaintance has just had her belly-button pierced - sooner her than me, is all I could say!

Skate@Delaware
09-04-2006, 03:07 PM
I LOVE this idea -- probably the only time I've ever considered a tatoo of any kind!!!

Let's see -- Loops, or maybe counters... Rockers? Certainly not the BO 8! (My current nemesis).
Once you conquer it then you can tattoo it!!!

As far as the weight gain, I've lost almost 80 pounds so I'm looking at it as a reward sort of thing...this summer was the first time since I was 19 that I wore a bikini at the beach, and I'm 44!

Sonic
09-04-2006, 03:45 PM

As far as the weight gain, I've lost almost 80 pounds so I'm looking at it as a reward sort of thing...this summer was the first time since I was 19 that I wore a bikini at the beach, and I'm 44!

Well there's no way I'm gonna conquer any of those nasty figures (or field moves as they're now know), but working on a tatoo design.

I designed one round my left arm, it's like roses entwined with leaves and am working on a design with little skates leaving traces.

Watch this space....!

S xx

luna_skater
09-04-2006, 04:39 PM
For synchro, my teammates have always covered visible tattoos with bandaids. Sometimes the bandaid is still visible, but it's often less-distracting than a tattoo would be.

I'm another one who would consider getting a tattoo, but could probably never decide on a design I would love forever. If I got something, I think it would be something with a very, very personal meaning for me.

sue123
09-04-2006, 04:59 PM
I think my other problem about getting a tattoo is that I don't like needles. I put up with them when I donate blood or have to get a blood test or get my flu shot, but it's def. not something I'm willing to experience voluntarily.

OK, so donating blood is voluntary, but it's just one needle, and it goes to good use. A tattoo is a bunch of needle pricks. Sorry, I think I would need to be unconcious for that to happen.

Sonic
09-04-2006, 05:08 PM
I think my other problem about getting a tattoo is that I don't like needles. I put up with them when I donate blood or have to get a blood test or get my flu shot, but it's def. not something I'm willing to experience voluntarily.

OK, so donating blood is voluntary, but it's just one needle, and it goes to good use. A tattoo is a bunch of needle pricks. Sorry, I think I would need to be unconcious for that to happen.
It's funny you should say that. I was an absolute needlephobic, it would take 4 doctors to calm me (and hold me!) down for a blood test.

Surprisingly, I didn't find the tatooos too bad at all. Had the first two done in this little place where I used to live, the guy was really nice and I was so busy chatting I didn't notice the pain. Got the third one done in Germany -again it was a nice guy and he wanted help with learning English, so I concentrated on that.

I'm the kinda person that is fine, as long as I don't look at the blood!

S xx

DallasSkater
09-04-2006, 07:43 PM

Congrats on that loss! You so deserve to be in an itsy bitsy yellow poker dot bikini!

On tattoo for me: There is no body part I want to particularly emphasize on the ice or ummm the beach..giggle. :roll:

Skate@Delaware
09-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Congrats on that loss! You so deserve to be in an itsy bitsy yellow poker dot bikini!

On tattoo for me: There is no body part I want to particularly emphasize on the ice or ummm the beach..giggle. :roll:
Thanks! Well, gosh darn it, how bout some fancy dancy boot covers???? I'm thinking of putting some sparkles on the hem of my pants, should last until I rip this pair doing backspins....

Sk8pdx
09-04-2006, 08:37 PM
If you are ever thinking about skating pairs, I would suggest you don't get a navel ring. My 2nd to last pairs partner had a navel ring, and I hit it several times on throw jumps and we had issues on the platter lift because of it. Hers was so old, it wouldn't unscrew, and she didn't want to have it cut off.

well then, that settles that debate. ;)

I know I may be of a minority opinion, but being a bit older (age Class IV as of this past Thursday), I've never seen a tattoo that made a woman any more attractive. To me, it is like throwing paint on a masterpiece. ....

Rob

I think your opinion is well stated. How fortunate for your pairs lady to have you as the foundation in which she shines. :bow:

Sk8pdx
09-04-2006, 09:01 PM

to be truthful, I really don't like pain. ...and I have heard way too many horror stories of tattoos and piercings gone wrong. Just like anything, I think bodyart/piercings can be done tastefully and it can be overkill. ( hmmmm....forget the navel ring,:giveup: maybe I will just stick with my original plan of rebellion as I approach 40 that is less painless, topless, red and has a turbo engine in it.) :P 8-)

flo
09-05-2006, 08:51 AM
From Rob "To me, it is like throwing paint on a masterpiece."

How kind!!!!

I use to bring in temporary tatoos for the kids on my research studies, lots of fun and they come off. I also put one on a boyfriend while he was asleep (after he insited it couldn't be done). Ha!!

PattyP
09-07-2006, 10:41 AM

I lost 30 pounds and my reward was a naval ring. I've had it for almost 4 years now and the weight is still gone! To me it is a nice reminder of my accomplishment. I was almost 40 when I got it and some of my friends said it was a "mid-life crisis" Haha.

doubletoe
09-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Good question.

I have several tatoos, on of them is a band round my arm. The last (and only) competition I did I wore a long sleeved dress so it was hidden anyway. I wore a nose stud an no-one commented on that.

I would imagine tatoos and piercings are fine, as long as they're not excessive.

S xxx

I very smart adult skater I know has a band tatooed around her upper arm and whenever she skates, she glues crystals onto it so that the judges think it's an arm bracelet! I thought that was brilliant!

VegasGirl
09-11-2006, 10:14 AM
I have a smallish tattoo on my upper arm and my coach asked me to use make-up to cover it for my artistic program since that dress is sleeveless. My freestyle dress on the other hand has long sleeves so the tattoo is already hidden from view.