View Full Version : Skate Annapolis- Questions about this comp.

xofivebyfive
09-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Okay, so I was very interested to hear that there is an annual ISI competition at the ice rink on the Naval Academy grounds, seeing that my brother just started his plebe year there. I found a website that said it was the 3 or 4 of March 2007. So I was curious, does anyone know if this competition is mostly higher level ISI skaters, or do they allow entries from say.. freestyle 2. I'm very interested to see if I would be able to skate at the competition, because my brother said he would bring his midshipmen friends to see me if I did.. :P Any information on this competition would be most appreciated.

Skate@Delaware
09-03-2006, 07:49 AM
I went last year and there were competitors from all categories of freestyle and artistic. I can't find my application info from last year but as soon as I do I will post it.

They are in the process of building a new rink so it should be interesting!!!!! The rink last year was beautiful and the ice was nice. My only complaint was the women's changing room...when the door was opened everyone outside had a clear view to the inside 8O . Hopefully, this won't happen in the new facility.

I am competing there again so maybe we can look for each other!!!!

ETA: Ok, I found my book from the actual comp (can't find my application-maybe my computer ate it when it hiccuped last time)...
I see levels from Tot 4, Pre-Alpha, Alpha, Beta, Delta, Gamma, Freestyle 1-7, Lt. Ent Spot FS 3-6, Family Spotlight, Artistic FS1-8, Synchro (adult and youth), Crama Spot Alpha, Char Spot Alpha-Betha, Couples Spotlight, and many more...

It was a lot of fun and I look forward to going again next year!

xofivebyfive
09-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Hey, are you the one with your program from last years competition on youtube? I think I commented on it. Even though I live like.. 4 hours away, I'm determined to compete there. And I cant' wait to see the new rink. It was in Dalhgren Hall right? They have good fries there. :P

Oh and is it like.. a 2 day competition over the weekend, or would it start on like a Thursday or Friday?

Skate@Delaware
09-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Yeah, that's me....8O

The comp did last a whole weekend. My skate was on a Sunday (and at a decent hour at that!). This year I'm planning on getting a room at the Navy Lodge (if they have any available) and making it a bit easier; although it's only about an hour's drive for me. I'll let you know. Can you room there since your brother is a plebe?

mikawendy
09-03-2006, 01:31 PM
The Navy Lodge is a great place to stay--affordable, comfortable, convenient. (This is according to my in-laws' extended family who stayed there when they were in town for our wedding; I've never stayed there myself.) If you know the dates you'll want to stay there, check early, as it sometimes gets booked up.

IIRC, the Navy Lodge rooms each have a kitchenette so that you don't have to eat all of your meals out when you're staying there.

Skate@Delaware
09-03-2006, 02:09 PM
The Navy Lodge is a great place to stay--affordable, comfortable, convenient. (This is according to my in-laws' extended family who stayed there when they were in town for our wedding; I've never stayed there myself.) If you know the dates you'll want to stay there, check early, as it sometimes gets booked up.
That is always good advice!!! Hopefully, they won't have a hockey tournament at the same time (since they are building two rinks and should have both done by then).
IIRC, the Navy Lodge rooms each have a kitchenette so that you don't have to eat all of your meals out when you're staying there.
Isn't that the whole point of staying in a hotel...so you don't have to cook!!! Seriously, it is cheaper and healthier to cook for yourself, especially if you have a whole crew!!!

xofivebyfive
09-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Yeah, that's me....8O

The comp did last a whole weekend. My skate was on a Sunday (and at a decent hour at that!). This year I'm planning on getting a room at the Navy Lodge (if they have any available) and making it a bit easier; although it's only about an hour's drive for me. I'll let you know. Can you room there since your brother is a plebe?
I have no idea. But the hotel we stayed at a few weeks ago was like, 5 minutes away from the Academy so I would probably end up staying there.

Skate@Delaware
09-03-2006, 04:43 PM
The nice thing about Annapolis is how close everything is!!!! Next time, we will hit the shopping!!! We stayed too late to watch more skaters and missed out (it was closed by the time we left). My daughter and I will need some clothes for a spring trip and this is a good opportunity for last-minute items...