View Full Version : Axel question

miraclegro
09-02-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm working on off-ice axel stuff, without a lot of outside advise. Will eventually get some. But my big question is: What is the main secret for getting up and around? i've tried a few things, and it seems that perhaps the back leg really being stretched behind well and then a big "kick" through (like kneeing someone) is the clincher? is that true? Any other tips?

miraclegro
09-02-2006, 06:35 PM
also, when i try this, my upper body seems to be wild -- no consistency!

itfigures
09-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Try looking at the thread (started by me) called axel there has to be something in there to help you!

Pairs Chick
09-03-2006, 06:31 PM
when i was learning my single axel i always used to be quick.. i would step on my edge and go right away.. my coach kept telling me the same thing (i alway kind of ignored her because i never thought it would work)

1. step forward on your outside edge and lean over reallly farr! because you might think your leaning over but your not.

2. hold the edge swing arms back and then when the arms come forward swing your leg through.. but make sure everything comes up to your right side (unless you jum clockwise)

so it turned out what she was saying really helped..

try skating arround the middle circle and set up your axel there and dont step and swing your arm arround you WILL fall! lmao step OUT of the circle.. Hope this helps:s

doubletoe
09-04-2006, 02:26 AM
If you are doing an axel ON the ice (or on the floor for that matter), do not turn as you take off. Try to push outside of the circle you created with your back outside edge so you take off straight out. If you are turning when you take off, you will stay over your takeoff hip in the air instead of your landing hip, and you'll never get all the way around. You're also more likely to fall.

Either on or off the ice, you need to be right over your hips when you take off. Extending your free leg way behind you as you are about to take off is a good way to wipe out when you try to take off. Instead, keep your free leg bent and haning under your hips, just slightly behind. It shoudl stay still and motionlesson before takeoff. Just before takeoff, your weight needs to be on the ball of the takeoff foot, with your chest sticking out over your takeoff knee. Your shoulders must be back a little, especially your landing side shoulder.

When you take off, roll up onto your toes and spring straight up (not out) and lift your landing knee to help you get up. Once you have left the ice (or floor), snap your landing side hip in and straighten the landing leg. Now lift the takeoff knee a little and then pull the free leg and arms in. You should feel like you are doing a backspin the air.

doubletoe
09-04-2006, 02:28 AM
Oops, sorry for all those typos! Hope you could still understand what I meant. . .