View Full Version : Some unusual advice please?

BlueIcePlaza
09-02-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm at something of a sort of 'loose end' at the moment, due to the following circumstances.
I have plans to sell our house in Birmingham in the next few months, hoping to move to, or near Weymouth, where my sister, niece and long-distance new girlfriend live. I'm a single parent father, with two daughters, aged nearly 5 and 8 and a half, who I like to take to public sessions at the Solihull rink on Sundays - However, due to travelling down to Weymouth quite frequently at the weekend, I can only take the girls skating once every three weeks on average.
As I am self-employed, I can usually grab an hour or two (often Fridays) to practise skating on me own, although I find it hard to progress with crossovers and one foot spirals etc. during the busy public sessions. During school term time (which seems like a distant memory, lol), I can still practise each week in the same way for an hour or so.
Because of the weekend 'commitments', I am loathed to take skate UK group lessons, as I can't stick with them.
I've passed levels 1 and 2, but have been unable to book any further lessons, due to the circumstances outlined above.
I'd like to progress further, and faster, but rather than being self-taught, would prefer to do it 'properly', via a coach. Trouble is, 'Patch' sessions are too early in the day (due to taking children to school), and also, I am limited with funds as to meeting coach fees. I could probably spare about £15 (half an hour private coaching) per fortnight. Another expense would be buying figure skates, too.
I feel that I am at a real crossroads, with being quite serious about skating, but not having the funds to meet the criteria, or not having the time/ funds to travel to a distant ice-rink from Weymouth, regularly, in future (probably Bristol or Basingstoke, by train).
At the moment, I'm quite happy 'skating for fun' in a way, but would love to 'spice things up' a bit - as I say, I am quite serious about it too.
What would you do?
From a 31 year old, just 7 months into skating for the first time.

Many thanks for any advice. :)

doubletoe
09-02-2006, 04:08 PM
You can often get more out of a short private lesson than a group lesson that's twice as long, so go with one private lesson per fortnight. Since you aren't practicing that much during the week, it would probably a waste to have more instruction time than that anyway. Also, get fitted at your skate shop for some decent beginner level skates and once you know what brand, model and size you wear, keep your eyes open on for used skates of that make, model and size at your rink, eBay, etc. Or just buy the new ones on your credit card and trust that the cost will be worth it in the long run. :)

samba
09-02-2006, 04:15 PM
I think you have too many balls in the air, and you just cant catch them all, however you have your priorities right in that kids and relationships have to come first.

It would appear that there are two main factors and not surprisingly this is the case with most people, one is time the other is money.

Are you sure you cannot fit in a 1 hour morning patch, maybe a relative could have the children over night for you so that you can get up early and do patch. If you have a £15 budget for coaching try 1 lesson per week, to be quite honest that is all you really need at this stage the most is learned by being there and skating, the coach just guides you in the right direction and ensures you dont get into any bad habits.

For skates try e-bay but check the photos and contact the seller because they only usually show the best side of the boot where it doesnt crease so badly which is usually the outer side of the boot where your feet dont meet, be sure the blades still have some wear on them, but you can get some bargains there.

If your girlfriend is interested, then the scope is doubled in that you can later do dance or pairs together.

Best of Luck
Samba

PS I took so long typing this that doubletoe has already said most of what I have said but never mind it shows we are on the right track.

BlueIcePlaza
09-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Many, many thanks for your replies.
I have read, on this forum during past weeks, that any private tuition (even just once or twice a month), is invaluable - and this seems really the way to go forward. At the moment, there's really no chance of doing early morning 'patch' sessions - but I have seen coaches on the scene during very quiet public morning sessions (school term times), so maybe I'll give that a go.
My long term fear, is not being able to travel a long distance regularly during the weekday mornings if we move - would booking a longer period of private tuition, say, once a month for an hour ( or even longer) help?
Many thanks. :)

BlueIcePlaza
09-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Just to add, can I move up through the levels with a coach, the same as with group lessons?
Also, my girlfriend works full time Mon - Fri, and is a very nervous skater, so I reckon she'd need some persuading! :lol:
Thanks again. :)

icedancer2
09-02-2006, 05:27 PM
- would booking a longer period of private tuition, say, once a month for an hour ( or even longer) help?
Many thanks. :)

I think ANY time-period that works for you is better than no time at all!

We all do what we can to keep our skating afloat. I used to skate at very cheap rinks (crummy places, too -- definitely not ideal "training-centers") near where I lived for practice. I would spend a little more money once a week for my lesson.

Now, being older, and somehow having more money (??? -- I don't know how that happens) and time I skate more and spend more.

But you have to start where you are at, and make the best of it, private lessons or not.

Have fun and good luck -- you will work it out I am sure!!:)

DallasSkater
09-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Wow, you do have a lot going at once. Since I have been skating for about as long as you I thought I would throw my 2 cents in too!

I think I get a ton out of my group lessons and they are so much cheaper than my private coaching. I do both. The private coach helps to advance my skills more quickly but I get valuable instruction from group. It is a time issue, of course. But you will have to evaluate your own personal resources of time and money to decide the best option for you. There is a saying....Manage your time or your time will manage you! I believe it! giggle.

If the girlfriend is new.. count on that time being less as you settle into that relationship and incorporate both of your interests and activities into a life style. That will happen naturally over the course of the first year or so as the ga-ga-ness of that relationship fines better balance! You are setting a precedence for your relationship now..balance your individual needs, with that of family and with new relationships. A move that grand is a big deal and I suspect will have some growing pains as well.

Good luck as you address this issue!

dooobedooo
09-03-2006, 12:25 AM
But if you move to Weymouth, you're going to be three hours from the nearest ice rink, for Pete's sake!! :frus:

... which is why you're asking us ... :?? I just checked the train times and it's a 2.5 hour train journey ... I hoped that there might be some good news on the proposed Southampton rink, but nothing seems to have happened since 2004 ....

I think you need to make availability of work your deciding factor. After all you have two little loved ones to care for, plus work is your security, your independence and identity. Will you be able to get the same amount of work, and a similar income, in Weymouth? Will your kids have a better environment to grow up in (quite likely)? Maybe you could take up sailing or windsurfing instead (seriously)?

samba
09-03-2006, 01:29 AM
But if you move to Weymouth, you're going to be three hours from the nearest ice rink, for Pete's sake!! :frus:

... which is why you're asking us ... :?? I just checked the train times and it's a 2.5 hour train journey ... I hoped that there might be some good news on the proposed Southampton rink, but nothing seems to have happened since 2004 ....

Oh dear, this said I think a reality check is in order, as dooobedoo said - maybe a change of interest would be better, or maybe your girlfriend could come and move your way, especially if maybe she has no children? it would probably suit your children better anyway. If a total of 5 hours joirney plus skating time is involved, when you have children, then you would have to be pretty determined to continue, this is basically a whole day taken up.

It's a long time since I did the basic learn to skate levels but I believe you can still take them directly with your coach, unless anyone knows differently? If not she/he will probably enrol another one to look at you for the test.

Sonic
09-03-2006, 03:53 AM
Isn't there a rink in Gosport, Hants? That might be nearer.

S xxx

sarahg
09-03-2006, 04:34 AM
As a Solihull skater, I've just sent you a PM about the Solihull set up which, for the time you are in Birmingham, you would definitely be able to fit into your schedule. During term time my private lessons are on public sessions in the morning and they are usually pretty quiet with the only other skaters being the adult figure skaters and coaches.

Also, you don't need to book the private lessons in blocks. People arrange them week by week with their coach and there are a lot of adult skaters who drop off and then pick up again as and when real life allows them to. It shouldn't be too much of an issue. The coach will teach you on the basis of the Skate UK levels and you can progress in exactly the same way as you would on a group lesson (although they do tend to hold their private pupils to a slightly higher standard, which means that you don't necessarily progress any faster...)

'fraid I can't help with what you can do once you move....;)

samba
09-03-2006, 05:06 AM
So glad you have some good news for him Sarah, well done.

BlueIcePlaza
09-03-2006, 06:55 AM
Isn't there a rink in Gosport, Hants? That might be nearer.

S xxx

I don't know it very geographically well - is it fairly easily accessible (by bus, for instance), from Southampton?

Many thanks, to all replies, and for your pm, Sarah. :D

My girlfriend would not consider moving to Brum, and I'd love to move, if it is at all possible. Around Wimborne and Bournemouth areas, there should not be a shortage of work, or so research has taught me.

I don't mind spending a whole day, or best part of a day, involved with travelling to and from a rink, but this would probably only be possible once every two to four weeks. My greatest fear, would then be, being unable to make much progress - however, I'm sure, as some of you say above, non of the skills taught by a coach, would be wasted.
Are inline skates an option - if not to practise certain skills, rather to keep the leg muscles 'tuned in' to the idea of regular skating?

Many thanks. :D

Mrs Redboots
09-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Gosport's a tiny rink, but has produced some good skaters, and some ice dancers, too. I think it's accessible from Southampton.

As for now, by all means take private lessons on public ice - it's usually very quiet except for school groups in term time. Your teacher will quite understand that it's only temporary, until you have moved, and won't insist on a long-term contract. One pays either after each lesson, or weekly (if you have more than one lesson), so there aren't usually issues with unresolved fees, although one also pays for a lesson cancelled without notice.

BlueIcePlaza
09-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Many thanks for your reply, Mrs Redboots. :)

I feel altogether better prepared now. I'll have a chat with a coach or two on next Friday. Thanks again. :D

doubletoe
09-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Yes, inline skates are good for basic stroking, but don't try doing mohawks on them or you could roll over the front of your front wheel and have a very nasty fall. Actually, if you end up moving and being away from the ice for long periods of time, you should look into getting Pic skates, which are the made for doing figure skating moves off the ice.

http://www.picskate.com/

BlueIcePlaza
09-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Yes, inline skates are good for basic stroking, but don't try doing mohawks on them or you could roll over the front of your front wheel and have a very nasty fall. Actually, if you end up moving and being away from the ice for long periods of time, you should look into getting Pic skates, which are the made for doing figure skating moves off the ice.

http://www.picskate.com/

Thanks. :D

ouijaouija
09-11-2006, 04:07 AM
Hi there, one thing I did, and many others do is check out every session time available to see which is the least busiest. I mean in the Summer this was my late evening sessions, but now that school has started it is the morning session.

I had the WHOLE rink to myself for half an hour, other than that there was only say 5 people.

Maybe you don't need a patch ice?

I think if you want to progress a private tutor is good, they can test you as you go along (LTS) as well. What I have done is befriend some of the better skaters to get tips from them.