View Full Version : When is a boot considered broken down ?

Alexeiskate
09-05-2002, 08:52 PM
If I look at a picture of a boot that is broken down in a skating book, most likely I would be presented with a picture of a boot that is flopped over onto one side at the ankle section. But it seems to me that most people buy new boots before their current ones ever get to the stage where it is almost flopping over at the ankle area. So I'm just curious as to when people consider their boots to be broken down and start buying a new pair ?

icesk8er31
09-05-2002, 09:57 PM
I bought my new boots (which I'm waiting impatiently for from Klingbeil) when my old boots became "warped," but weren't necessarily broken down. I have a tendancy to pronate on my left foot and, over time, that warped my left boot over. When it no longer gave me the support I needed on that side, even though it was still strong, I got fitted for new boots.

I think the decision on when a boot is "broken down" depends very much on your performance in that boot. If you feel like your jumps, spins, footwork are being compromised due to structural changes in the boot, it's time for a new pair, regardless of whether they are floppy.

Hope that helps.

Chico
09-05-2002, 10:06 PM
My coach told me. I was tightening my boots all the time trying to make them fit better, and I was told this is a sign. I've heard, when the boot crease travels past the ankle point of the boot. The way I knew is when my boots, who had felt good, didn't. Ask your coach, they will help you on your assessment. If you don't hae a coach ask someone you trust.

Chico

Anita18
09-06-2002, 02:28 AM
Well, when I upgraded my boots, my ankles fell in all the time, I couldn't land anything anymore, and my ankle would twist a bit every time I picked in with my toepick. Oh yeah, and I couldn't bend my knees enough to do back crossovers, since the laces would bite into my ankles. Those are all pretty obvious signs, LOL..

Anita

anital
09-06-2002, 05:26 AM
I think it sounds like Anita18's boots were a little "too" broken down! I think the main clue is that you are lacing up too often because your boots are too loose. If you get to the stage that your skating is deteriorating a lot(like not being able to land easy jumps etc), you've gone too far.
Ask your coach for tips though and after a while you might just realise ofter a certain amount of time, I know I need new boots after about a year to 16 months, it depends on your boot, how much you skate etc though so do ask your coach or other skaters!

Anita

PS: If your boots are "floppy" it may mean that they weren't a quality boot in the first place as well, some boots start out floppy!!

Yazmeen
09-06-2002, 08:49 AM
My coach pointed out exactly what Chico's did--my ankle creases were deep and extending beyond the ankle, plus I was using a gel pad for comfort under the right boot tongue and was having to lace tighter and tighter, especially on the left side. I, too, anxiously await my Klingbeils!!

Beth