View Full Version : Best coaches and rinks for adults

newskaker5
09-01-2006, 08:11 PM
If you could train anywhere in the country, what who you say would be the best rink(s) for adults and who would be the best adult coaches?

Mel On Ice
09-01-2006, 08:31 PM
I like the quality of coaches and overwhelming adult support in:
San Francisco
Detroit
Chicago
U of Deleware

cecealias
09-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Definitely San Francisco, Yerba Buena. I dont' know if i would have stayed in skating had I not started skating here and met my current coach who is amazingly patient and funny.

jazzpants
09-02-2006, 02:39 AM
Definitely San Francisco, Yerba Buena. I dont' know if i would have stayed in skating had I not started skating here and met my current coach who is amazingly patient and funny. Other places I've been have beenrelatively hostile to adult beginners, including yours truly.

PM me if you'd like coach recommendations! I have lots!I second the nomination for San Francisco!!! It's "Adult Figure Skater's Central" here with lots of adult skaters, both recreational AND competitive. (Okay, both cecealias and I are biased since we're from here but we're raving for a reason... :P ;) ) And of course, a good group of you guys have met Jay and/or are friendly with him... so you know why he's been my long time primary coach!!!

A true story: A net friend who only seen a handful of adult figure skaters at his rink, showed up on a Monday night once at my rink and said "OMG!!! There's so many adult figure skaters here!!!" 8O My reply was "That's just the recreational crowd! Show up in the morning FS and you'll see the other half!!!" :lol: :P He was STUNNED!!! 8O

Outside of San Francisco... well, I obviously LOVE and look forward to seeing my coach Emanuele in NYC... he's very good (has LOTS of ideas, he's patient enough, and adjusts you rather than just skate around and demonstrates how things are done...and doesn't yell.) And, of course...Edward the Moves Guru at the Hack!!! 8-) :bow: FrankR and icecatespairs are both very VERY fortunate to have such a wonderful coach out there!!! He is definitely organized and his methods are well throught out. Yeah, he's very strict, but you know when you did something right by his standards that you've done well... 8O

I have yet to try out Chicago, Detroit or U Del. One of these days I'll have to try to get to these spots!!! I have LOTS of you netters out there I want to meet and visit with! (And different coaches to try too!!!) :D

MusicSkateFan
09-02-2006, 07:58 AM
Wahington DC is another area with a high number of adult skaters. There are several great coaches who work with adults. Washington FSC did extremely well at the ISU competition in Germany.....we have "World Champions" in many events.

Don't forget about us!

:) :) :)

VegasGirl
09-02-2006, 08:33 AM
How on earth is anyone supposed to answer that question?
You'd have to have had experience with all the rinks and adult programs across the country... impossible!!!

doubletoe
09-02-2006, 11:34 AM
SoCal is very adult-friendly, too. :)

TaBalie
09-02-2006, 12:23 PM
I've skated in several different locations in the US, and my pick is Sun Valley, ID.

I know I am spoiled here -- fantastic coaches, lots of ice time, and a skating culture that is very inclusive of adults. Also, very very small town, so no traffic (it takes less 5 minute to drive to the rinks!). LOVE IT :) I will be sad when I have to move away in January...

Isk8NYC
09-02-2006, 01:14 PM
How on earth is anyone supposed to answer that question?
You'd have to have had experience with all the rinks and adult programs across the country... impossible!!!I don't think the OP wanted you to review EVERY rink in the country! LOL However, adults tend to move around, change rinks/clubs, so they can voice opinions based on their experiences.

I thought you moved around a bit, which area was your favorite for skating?

Northern New Jersey has several good rinks with adult sessions and supportive communities. I lean towards Fritz Dietl's and Ice House in Hackensack.

Best coaches for adults - can't help you there, sorry.

Mercedeslove
09-02-2006, 10:36 PM
I like the quality of coaches and overwhelming adult support in:
San Francisco
Detroit
Chicago
U of Deleware

yay for Chicago.

This makes me :-)

techskater
09-03-2006, 05:20 AM
I agree with Mel's assessment on Chicago. So many rinks welcome adults here and there are several very good coaches who have multiple adult skaters in their fold, like mine! LOL!

Sk8pdx
09-03-2006, 09:42 PM
When I visited the Phoenix area, there seemed to be quite a healthy adult scene there too. I liked the Alltel Ice den and Desert Schools rinks I visited. Not sure about coaches though. :??

cecealias
09-04-2006, 01:01 AM
Anyone happen to know any adult friendly rinks in D.C.?:D

MusicSkateFan
09-04-2006, 01:57 AM
Most are:

I skate at Mt Vernon, Wheaton and Ft Dupont.

Ft Dupont has only public skates Fri-Sun but the Friday noon public skate is mostly adults and has very nice people and great ice. 12pm-1:50pm for 4$!

Reston was having an adult freestyle on Fridays but I think that is over now.

Mt. Vernon has club ice(WFSC) on Sundays at 3:45-5:15 that has a good adult showing...

hope this helps.

The new rink at the Balston Mall is only going to have public session?(thats what I heard!

cecealias
09-04-2006, 02:07 PM
MusicSkateFan,

thanks for the rink suggestions!:D I am going to DC several times next year but i'll be staying right in downtown DC. Are any of these rinks commutable by mass transit, or is everything a must drive car option only? I also noticed that downtown rinks are open for the winter only (i.e. Sculpture rink) and i'll be there probably in late april/may.

jenlyon60
09-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Reston also has continuous freestyle/dance sessions from 6AM until about 5:50pm Mon-Fri. Generally the sessions before 1 or 2pm are fairly empty (other than the home-schoolers).

Ellyn
09-05-2006, 01:10 PM
MusicSkateFan,

thanks for the rink suggestions!:D I am going to DC several times next year but i'll be staying right in downtown DC. Are any of these rinks commutable by mass transit, or is everything a must drive car option only? I also noticed that downtown rinks are open for the winter only (i.e. Sculpture rink) and i'll be there probably in late april/may.

http://www.arlingtonva.us/Departments/ParksRecreation/scripts/facilities/ParksRecreationScriptsFacilitiesBallstonIceRink.as px

I believe this rink will be opening this autumn. I don't know any more about it than what's in the press release. But at least it's on a Metro line.

What kind of sessions are you looking for -- public? freestyle? dance?

MusicSkateFan
09-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Yes the Ballston Rink is right on a Metro Line and should be open when you come to DC in April/May. Will they have any freestyle or dance? No one seems to know. I have only heard about public ice!

Most other DC area rinks are a driving thing. Fort Dupont is in DC but is not very close to any metro stations:cry:

cecealias
09-05-2006, 05:46 PM
I'd love to get in a few freestyle sessions if at all possible, hopefully not too crowded like under 20 people. Meeting people in DC would be great too! :D Are you from DC?

http://www.arlingtonva.us/Departments/ParksRecreation/scripts/facilities/ParksRecreationScriptsFacilitiesBallstonIceRink.as px

I believe this rink will be opening this autumn. I don't know any more about it than what's in the press release. But at least it's on a Metro line.

What kind of sessions are you looking for -- public? freestyle? dance?

cecealias
09-08-2006, 01:50 AM
BTW, one more reason why San Francisco is adult friendly.... if you're in town for a convention at the Moscone center, the rink is right on top of the convention center and within walking distance of downtown SF and many hotels nearby! And a Starbucks, Whole Foods market, and great restaurants (all within 1 block of each other) Never mind the major movie theatre complex to boot at the metreon.

jazzpants
09-08-2006, 02:58 AM
BTW, one more reason why San Francisco is adult friendly.... if you're in town for a convention at the Moscone center, the rink is right on top of the convention center and within walking distance of downtown SF and many hotels nearby! And a Starbucks, Whole Foods market, and great restaurants (all within 1 block of each other) Never mind the major movie theatre complex to boot at the metreon. And three blocks from the Gap, Old Navy, Nordy's... LOTS of major shopping!!!

Ta-da-da-da da-DAH!!!! CHARGE IT!!! :twisted:

Canskater
09-11-2006, 07:41 AM
A really good adult-friendly Canadian club ... in the GTA is the Richmond Hill Figure Skating Club. I highly recommend them.

-- sheilagh

VegasGirl
09-11-2006, 10:27 AM
I thought you moved around a bit, which area was your favorite for skating?

Yes, I have moved around a bit but only once since starting to skate. Between the two locations I'd have to say that the Las Vegas Ice Center was definitely more pocket book friendly when it comes to adult lessons... and the best coach, ofcourse is also down there, my former coach!