View Full Version : Toe-loop woes ?

Alexeiskate
09-05-2002, 05:57 PM
Anyone have consistent problem with the two-loop, eventhough it's supposedly the "easiest" jump in skating ? I just don't get that jump. I have to do my 2toe as a half flip-2toe combo. If I try to go into the 2toe as a solo jump, I usually slip off the picking leg and do a woe instead of a toe.

JDC1
09-06-2002, 08:38 AM
I am still doing single toes but question - are you doing the 2t out of RFI 3turn? If so are you checking your 3 turn hard enough before you pick in? On my single toe if I don't check my turn and I kinda rush it and becomes either a boo boo or weird looking waltz jump.

Alexeiskate
09-06-2002, 11:16 AM
When I do a toe from a RFI, I can't seem to control the check after the three turn. The left leg swings too far inside the circle to pick correctly. I've also tried the toe from a LFO (or toe-wally) entrance and have had much better success with it but it isn't pretty. Somehow doing a half-flip before the toe just seem to keep everything in a nice straight line for the toe.

Debbie S
09-06-2002, 11:24 AM
When you do your RFI turn into the jump, make sure that your left arm is in front, with right arm in back (this is assuming you are a CCW jumper, if not - do the reverse). When I first started doing this jump, I would place my arms the way I had originally been taught to do the RFI turn - toward the circle. The problem with doing that before the jump is that you end up still turning so it's hard to pick in. Once I switched my arms, I found it much easier. I am also finding it easier when I bend from the knee, so to speak, rather than from the waist, but if you're doing doubles, I imagine you've already discovered that.

Good luck with it!

Elsy2
09-06-2002, 04:28 PM
My daughter does all her 2/toes from a RFI mohawk/change foot/reach back and pick entrance. Seems like this entrance might work for you too.

tidesong
09-06-2002, 10:50 PM
Yes I have a major problem with my double toe loop ... I have got 1 and a half rounds at my best now.
I realized that my toe-loop was pretty bad when I started on the double. So I went back to working on toe-loops(Actually still am working on them). I managed to solve one problem which was picking with a bent knee(that got me 1 and 1/4 rounds) . But now after picking with a straight knee and checking hard... I go straight up in the air and land heavily down on my toepick with hardly any distance.... arrrrgh

melanieuk
09-07-2002, 05:13 PM
Tips I got for single toe loop:

Try and do the 3 turn in a straight a line as possible.
Remember to check arms.
Don't lean too far forwards before and during pick.
Don't let the pick come behind and across the skating foot (inside the circle made by right back outside edge).
Remember to bring the back arm in with a rolling motion. Other arm just sweeps in towards chest. Don't drop the shoulders.
Have the hips and shoulders parallel.

Try doing the single toeloop in combination with a loop.
Do all jumps with a toe loop on the end.
Check the arms, again, Deep knee bend. Chin up.

I have trouble with flow after a flip-toeloop.
:evil:

Mrs Redboots
09-09-2002, 04:49 AM
Do you really think it is the easiest? I find 3-jumps and even the Salchow much easier. Mind you, my Salchow is so dreadfully cheated I don't even rotate the jump - I do all the rotation on the ice and then hop backwards..... But then, I don't jump much anyway.

Alexeiskate
09-09-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
Do you really think it is the easiest?

No way. It's supposed to be one of the "easiest" jump to do and that's why it find it most frustrating not being able to get it consistently correct. The 3-turn into the jump kills me everytime. The same with the flip jump. I can only do it from a mohawk. If I go into the flip from a three turn, my upper body immediately lunges forward on the pick, and I become stuck. My body knows what it's doing wrong but controlling it is a whole issue on its own :)

dani
09-09-2002, 06:05 PM
I find the loop to be one of the easiest jumps for that same reason. In the case of each of my other jumps, I am doing some sort of 3 turn (or mohawk) which gives my upper body a chance to go wonky on me. For the loop, I am set and I jump - I don't think I could have ever landed my flip without learning the loop first!

Hugs!
Danielle