View Full Version : Martha Stewart meets Skating

Emberchyld
08-30-2006, 11:40 AM
I just wanted to start a thread for us to list out the crafty, creative, (and cheaper!) ways that we have found to get around some of our skating challenges.

For example:

I've been having a lot of trouble adapting to using standard elbow pads (I tried the volleyball ones, but they just didn't work for me-- to get ones that were small enough to stay on my arms, I would lose a lot of the bend in my elbow, and larger ones would just rotate and not protect my arm during falls), and was wishing that I could have some pads similar to the gel knee pads that I've been using.

So, I have a pair of gel hip pads that I bought but rarely use now because I'm good enough to avoid falling on my hips hard for little things and not good enough to do anything that would make me fall on my hips hard (does that make sense?)... and I went to Target and bought a pair of little girls' spandex/lycra tights in the smallest size. I cut the tights to create two tubes that fit over my arms and hold the hip pads in place (and just add fuel to the "skating goth/punk" look *:lol: ). The hip pads are a bit too big, so I'm going to be looking at other (cheap) options, like :lol: falsies :lol: or gel insoles or dance pads, but for now, they definitely do the job, look streamlined under a jacket, and let my arms bend.

Another thing that I've done is turn all of my footed tights into toeless or convertible tights (like my good ol' trusty dance tights) by chopping off the front two inches of the foot on the tight- because I like to be able to just roll the tights above my ankle when I'm not skating to give my toes some wiggle room.

So, do any of you have any crafty solutions to share?

Mrs Redboots
08-30-2006, 12:04 PM
I knit boot covers and will happily pass on my pattern to anybody who asks - send me an e-mail or pm if you want a copy. And one can make one's own soakers and/or skate bags (I don't mean carrying bags, but the individual bags to keep your skates separate and away from the damp wiper!).

Isk8NYC
08-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Buy a hand-towel and stitch up the sides. It makes a great single-boot bag. Make two and you don't need soakers any more. I double-up the bottom, so it's thicker.

I make a pair of these, toss in a matching washcloth to use as a skate rag with an iron-on initial (from the craft store) for a nice gift. (The iron-on is better on the bag than the rag - the bag gets washed less.)

You can add fasteners to close them or keep them together. A friend used to sew them together and add a kid's belt to make a saddle bag.

flo
08-30-2006, 02:47 PM
I cut the cuffs off old socks to put around my ankles. I also use then to put around water bottles to spot them on the boards. I also use small tote type mesh kids purses to put all my stuff in to take to the boards. It keeps my crash pads cd's, lip balm and is see through for easy spotting.

I paint tissue silver cover packs so I also know which tissues are mine.

I've painted tracings of edges and moves patterns on skating shirts.

beachbabe
08-30-2006, 09:15 PM
when you want cheap tights- at about mid-spring, go to your local department store- Dillards or whatever. Pay attention in the hoisery department because sometimer sthey will have sales of 75% off plus additional 50% and stuff like that. They usually put the thick winter tights on sale and the feel just like real good skating tights, but usually come out to costing $2 or less. Good solution if you use skating tights alot and go through too many $15 pairs.

VegasGirl
08-30-2006, 09:20 PM
For example:

I've been having a lot of trouble adapting to using standard elbow pads (I tried the volleyball ones, but they just didn't work for me-- to get ones that were small enough to stay on my arms, I would lose a lot of the bend in my elbow, and larger ones would just rotate and not protect my arm during falls), and was wishing that I could have some pads similar to the gel knee pads that I've been using.

How about trying youth football elbow pads (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=219580&cp=2367820.2356658.2360706.2360747&pg=1&parentPage=family&searchId=17302824281)?

sue123
08-30-2006, 10:18 PM
I feel very uncrafty. I never thought about making my own soakers, I just take them from my dad's friends son who plays hockey and has tons of them lying around. :bow: to all of you crafty sorts.

Paulie86
08-30-2006, 10:41 PM
I make my own soakers and am currently experimenting in making my own costumes and skating skirts to keep the cost down.

Mercedeslove
08-30-2006, 10:56 PM
I cut the cuffs off old socks to put around my ankles. I also use then to put around water bottles to spot them on the boards. I also use small tote type mesh kids purses to put all my stuff in to take to the boards. It keeps my crash pads cd's, lip balm and is see through for easy spotting.

I paint tissue silver cover packs so I also know which tissues are mine.

I've painted tracings of edges and moves patterns on skating shirts.

Can I ask what the cut up scks do for your ankels, or are supposed to do?

Mrs Redboots
08-31-2006, 08:17 AM
Buy a hand-towel and stitch up the sides. Also, put a narrow hem or casing at the top and put in some elastic, to keep the bag over the top of your boots.

I do use a soaker inside my bag - one friend makes matching sets of bags, soakers, and wipers - the soakers match the boots, and are lined with the same coloured towelling as the wipers are made from.

I'm experimenting with lined knitted soakers - but I'm not yet prepared to share the pattern for that, it's not got to that stage.

And, as many of you know, I make my own soap and body scrubs which I throw on the ice for people.

flo
08-31-2006, 08:48 AM
Mercedes - they provide a little protection from the top of the boot of new skates. I used these before the gel tubes were out.

Mrs. R - I'd love to see your knitted boot covers - what a great idea!

Skate@Delaware
08-31-2006, 09:42 AM
I also make my own dresses, pants and stuff (when I have the time). Also, when my rink closes for the season, they usually toss the stuff in the lost and found....so I ask to "browse" around and can find gloves, soakers, blade guards, etc. that get a really good washing and they are ready for my skate bag for the next year. That way I can give them to someone that needs them (I'm the rink mom).

I'm also the one that grabs up the gloves that are 4/25 cents at the end of the season.....but my stores never have good sales on tights or leggings :cry:

Love these ideas, esp. the one for keeping the pads in place for your elbow!

Skate@Delaware
08-31-2006, 09:44 AM
I forgot to mention...lots of people at my rink use the little carry-alls from the dollar store for their stuff at the boards...the plastic ones? They come in all sizes and colors and they are really handy for your water bottle, tissues, cd's gloves, etc. Most decorate theirs with stickers and stuff. Really cute idea!!

sk8_mom
08-31-2006, 02:08 PM
My daughter likes to wear 2 pairs of tights (cold rink).
She wears a regular footed pair, and then another footless pair on top.
I got tired of buying sooooo many pairs of tights all the time, so now when the footed pair gets holes I cut them off at the ankle and stitch some elastic around the bottom, and she has another footless pair to wear on top. (I tried darning the holes, but she complained about the feel of them)

Sk8pdx
08-31-2006, 08:32 PM
I forgot to mention...lots of people at my rink use the little carry-alls from the dollar store for their stuff at the boards...the plastic ones? They come in all sizes and colors and they are really handy for your water bottle, tissues, cd's gloves, etc. Most decorate theirs with stickers and stuff. Really cute idea!!

A lot of the skaters at my rink do the same. During club skating you see them aaaall lined up on the boards. :) Inside them they even have a little cup thingy for dirty tissues to empty out when the session is done. That way they aren't leaving them lying around. ewww. (some rinks provide trash cans in the hockey boxes, but for whatever reason, ours doesn't...:giveup: )

Thin-Ice
09-01-2006, 03:06 AM
I make my own soakers and am currently experimenting in making my own costumes and skating skirts to keep the cost down.

I make my own practice dresses and some of my costumes.. but I'm not sure I save money doing it. I LOVE fabric stores and trying different kinds of fabric for skirts so I end up with more skirts/dresses, which I don't REALLY NEED, so the cost probably works out to about the same.

blue111moon
09-01-2006, 09:20 AM
I cut up a mouse pad to use as a knee pad under tights for a program that required me to finish by plopping down on one knee. Maybe that would work for elbows?

I also used a cut up mouse pad to cushion the ball of my foot after surgery a few years ago. Unfortunately my foot's too long or I'd use the mouse pads instead of Dr. Scholl's inside my skates.

One of the kids at the rink uses a mouse pad in her tights as a tailbone cushion.

Handy things, mouse pads - and cheap - or free if you don't mind the ones with ads on them.

Isk8NYC
09-01-2006, 09:28 AM
I make my own practice dresses and some of my costumes.. but I'm not sure I save money doing it. I LOVE fabric stores and trying different kinds of fabric for skirts so I end up with more skirts/dresses, which I don't REALLY NEED, so the cost probably works out to about the same.When I sewed for my own skating, I did the same thing. Now that I make outfits for my kids, I've learned to watch for sales and stock up on stuff. One year, I found that Joann's had lycra on sale, so I bought 8 yards of the flesh-colored lycra. I made a bodysuit for a particularly revealing costume, and I also used it as lining in the bodice and crotch of a few dresses. Still have a few yards left!

For the first "competition" dress I made, I bought sew-on rhinestones and appliques in midtown Manhattan. (I worked nearby) I remember they were very expensive at the time. I wore it many times, my oldest daughter considered it her "backup" dress and the twins used it for dressup games. When it finally bit the dust last year, I cut off all of the rhinestones and saved them. They're still beautiful - I just have to find the right use for them.

Here's a question for our seamstresses - I have a length of non-stretchy fabric. It's like a satin, with some glitter on it. I'd like to use it as the skirt of a skating dress. The body of the dress would be lycra or stretch velvet. All my patterns are designed for two-way stretch fabric, which I assume includes the set-in skirt.

Are there any adjustments I'd need to make to the pattern so the seams don't rip?

flo
09-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Hi,
I'm getting a sewing machine and looking at the brother 6000i. Does anyone have experience with this machine?

Raye
09-01-2006, 10:17 AM
ISK8NYC - I use non-stretchy fabric for the skirt part on a lot of the skating dresses I have made for myself and my granddaughter, and the dance dresses I have made for my other granddaughter. If you curve the crosswise seam, the non-stretchiness of the satin/tulle/chiffon/georgette.... is not usually a problem. You don't really need a lot of curve. It works well as long as the centre front and back are at least one inch further below your waist than at the side seams. Creates a nice 'line' too.

Isk8NYC
09-01-2006, 10:40 AM
I like that 'line' and it is built-into the pattern, so that's a good solution. Thanks.

Mrs Redboots
09-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Here's a question for our seamstresses - I have a length of non-stretchy fabric. It's like a satin, with some glitter on it. I'd like to use it as the skirt of a skating dress. The body of the dress would be lycra or stretch velvet. All my patterns are designed for two-way stretch fabric, which I assume includes the set-in skirt.

Are there any adjustments I'd need to make to the pattern so the seams don't rip?Skirt and sleeves don't need to be stretchy - well, sleeves do if they are tight, but if they are loose sleeves they don't need to be. My old green dress had a chiffon skirt and sleeves, and a stretch velvet body:

http://mrs-redboots.sk8rland.com/pictures/annabel2.jpg

flo
09-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Pretty!
I cut up garden kneeling pads for my crash pads. I've broken the gel ones!

Skate@Delaware
09-01-2006, 02:12 PM

Are there any adjustments I'd need to make to the pattern so the seams don't rip?
That's the real trick...i know from using chiffon and fabrics like that there will be some separation of the seam especially when stressed and over time. You can make sure that there is sufficient fabric for ease and then some (not enough to make it noticeably baggy but you don't want it really tight). I would stitch the seams again in the seamline with a regular machine stitch even if you overlock.
so it would look like this:

_________________seam-edge of fabric
--------------------stitched by machine with regular stitches
--------------------
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ overlock edge with 3 or 4 threads

For the vertical seams, you could use regular lapped, or french seams, or small serged seams depending on how thick the fabric is; I would experiment with it and see what looks the best.

Someone else might have other suggestions...if you have extra fabric it's worth a little experimentation & playing with it (i.e. tugging) to see what works.

mikawendy
09-01-2006, 04:47 PM
When I have old pairs of tights that have lost their elasticity at the top (or are full of holes), then I cut off from about the knee down. I save the feet/leg parts to wear on my feet if I'm wearing footless tights over my skates.

If I have a very holey pair of tights that still has a good waistband, I cut off the waistband (sometimes I have skirts that I wear at work that need a little extra to keep them up but are hard to alter because of how they're constructed).

Emberchyld
09-03-2006, 09:19 AM
So many awesome ideas! I was on a business trip for a few days and just came back to a full thread!

I'm knit-handicapped (I can only crochet), so I'm in envy of you, Mrs Redboots.

Vegasgirl, unfortunately, I've tried the football pads, too (already open packages at Modells is a great thing), and they didn't give me the mobility that I still wanted (I was starting to feel like I was the kid it "A Christmas Story", all bundled up and unable ot move). But bluemoon111, I never thought of mousepads...

I'm currently trying one of those shoe insoles (they're a soft gel-ly material that can be cut to size), but if they don't work, I'll move to mousepads-- heavens knows I have millions of those!

DallasSkater
09-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Wow! You guys are so crafty! I am jealous! I am so not artistic, I will be left in the dust paying the big bucks to have stuff to use! :bow:

Skate@Delaware
09-04-2006, 07:46 PM
Wow! You guys are so crafty! I am jealous! I am so not artistic, I will be left in the dust paying the big bucks to have stuff to use! :bow:
You need to make friends with a crafty person....someone who wants someone to "try out" their experiments on!!!!

DallasSkater
09-04-2006, 08:31 PM
LOL SkateDelaware....will you be my new very best friend? giggle

Skate@Delaware
09-04-2006, 08:52 PM
LOL SkateDelaware....will you be my new very best friend? giggle
Sure! My next new "experiment" is a cushion for the top of my Zuca bag...I've got the gears going, waiting for my next "zing" of inspiration for more things to create8O !!!

Isk8NYC
09-04-2006, 09:49 PM
I use a skate hook to undo my laces (and those of any kid in close proximity). It's faster and easier on my hands. I keep it on a lanyard clipped to an outside pocket of my skate bag. Easily accessible.

Skate@Delaware
09-05-2006, 05:53 AM
I like to use the zippered zip-loc type of bags for keeping things neat and tidy in my skate bag...they come in different sizes and I can write my name on the outside so I know it's MY baggie of pins, candy, etc...

of course, my bag of candy keeps emptying8O

And it makes finding things IN my bag easier!

flo
09-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Skate@del - I was also thinking of getting a seat cushion for my zuca. The ones for my kitchen bar seats fit is pretty well and have the ties. I want a Zuca cozy for mine for when I have to check it. The Zucas don't fit in all overhead containers.

Skate@Delaware
09-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Skate@del - I was also thinking of getting a seat cushion for my zuca. The ones for my kitchen bar seats fit is pretty well and have the ties. I want a Zuca cozy for mine for when I have to check it. The Zucas don't fit in all overhead containers.
Ok, I'm stumped...what's a Zuca cozy???? I'm trying to figure out what that is..8O

As for the cushion, since I am Queen of the Rink (my unofficial title, mind you) I have to have a cushion fitting a Queen.....actually I just want it to match the pink and have some fringe and stoning on it. Yeah, completely over the top.

flo
09-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Hi,
Like a tea cozy, that's quilted and fits over the Zuca so it won't get dinged up. I like the fringe. I want those pom-pom things.

sk8_mom
09-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Zuca cosy and pillow? Great ideas, but please please share patterns if you have any (I can copy or follow a pattern, seriously challenged to do from scratch)

We have an abundance of Zucas (Zuci?) at our rink, so my daughter and friends are planning on making customized licence plates for them.

Mrs Redboots
09-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Er - please, what is a Zuca?

twizzles13
09-05-2006, 01:41 PM
I don't have any crafty ideas, but thank you for posting yours!

flo
09-05-2006, 01:45 PM
http://www.zuca.com/

great skate bags.

Skate@Delaware
09-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Zuca cosy and pillow? Great ideas, but please please share patterns if you have any (I can copy or follow a pattern, seriously challenged to do from scratch)

We have an abundance of Zucas (Zuci?) at our rink, so my daughter and friends are planning on making customized licence plates for them.
sounds like a new mission!!!! It shouldn't be too hard to draft up a pattern...finding time will be the big issue...stay tuned!

I like the plate idea! Our pro shop is finally getting them in, altho i've been told no pink ones (so I will be the only pink one in the rink)!

kateskate
09-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Not so crafty or clever but when I get too many holes in my over the boot tights in the foot part from doing drags or kicking myself in jumps and spins I just cut off the toe part of the over the boot bit and still wear them as stirrup type tights over my boots. My tights only seem to get holes in the over the boot bit - the rest of the tights are fine.

I frequently sew up holes in tights and gloves.

This ones not so clever but people have been surprised by it - I don't wear a leotard under a chiffon skirt - instead just ordinary black knickers over my tights. Cheaper and easier. And then a T-Shirt.

Mrs Redboots
09-06-2006, 07:01 AM
http://www.zuca.com/

great skate bags.Thanks. Not a brand I've seen over here.

Mrs Redboots
09-06-2006, 07:02 AM
This ones not so clever but people have been surprised by it - I don't wear a leotard under a chiffon skirt - instead just ordinary black knickers over my tights. Cheaper and easier. And then a T-Shirt.I do exactly the same thing. Only I use control-panel knickers, which you probably don't need to do!

Skate@Delaware
09-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Not so crafty or clever but when I get too many holes in my over the boot tights in the foot part from doing drags or kicking myself in jumps and spins I just cut off the toe part of the over the boot bit and still wear them as stirrup type tights over my boots. My tights only seem to get holes in the over the boot bit - the rest of the tights are fine.

I frequently sew up holes in tights and gloves.

This ones not so clever but people have been surprised by it - I don't wear a leotard under a chiffon skirt - instead just ordinary black knickers over my tights. Cheaper and easier. And then a T-Shirt.

Don't the tights run when you cut them off, or do you seal them with something?

I'd sew up my gloves but they are worn thin all over so I'd be wasting my time....

Don't like leotards and one-pieces because it's hard enough untangling to go to the bathroom (and sometimes the heat is off in there). The less I have to drop the better...I know you can get the cheerleader's type of panties or short-shorts for about $10-15 and they come in a zillion colors (sometimes you can snag them for about $5 each when they are on clearance).

Paulie86
09-06-2006, 08:59 PM

Why don't you try putting clear nail polish around the holes on your tights. It stops them from getting any bigger or laddering. And if you put a little bit at the top of ladders, it stops them from growing to. I use it on my practice tights because it seems to work alot better than sewing the holes up.

mikawendy
09-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Why don't you try putting clear nail polish around the holes on your tights. It stops them from getting any bigger or laddering. And if you put a little bit at the top of ladders, it stops them from growing to. I use it on my practice tights because it seems to work alot better than sewing the holes up.

Or to stop the holes from laddering, you can take a dry bar of soap and rub it on the hole. It still works even after the garment is washed.

kateskate
09-07-2006, 07:25 AM
Or to stop the holes from laddering, you can take a dry bar of soap and rub it on the hole. It still works even after the garment is washed.

My tights don't tend to ladder - I had the thick mondor ones - they just get holes which are from kicking myself usually. Some of them I just can't explain how they appear! Nail polish works for a bit. I'll try the soap thing. I start cutting the feet off as a last resort!

CaraSkates
09-07-2006, 08:08 AM
My tights don't tend to ladder - I had the thick mondor ones - they just get holes which are from kicking myself usually. Some of them I just can't explain how they appear! Nail polish works for a bit. I'll try the soap thing. I start cutting the feet off as a last resort!

I wear the thick Mondor OTB tights too and I have lots of holes. I buy them a size big (this gives me extra fabric OTB and they last longer) and then I sew up the holes. After two or three sewings I either throw them out or cut off the feet.

I also sew skating dresses, skirts and I'm working on fleece pants with zippers. The trouble is finding the zippers long enough!

Isk8NYC
09-07-2006, 08:50 AM
I also sew skating dresses, skirts and I'm working on fleece pants with zippers. The trouble is finding the zippers long enough!Let me know if you find a source for the zippers. I wanted a few pairs of fleece pants for teaching, as coverups over my regular pants.

Skate@Delaware
09-07-2006, 09:37 AM
My local sewing store can special order zippers....you might want to check around your area. I have been somewhat lucky to find a 32" separating zipper in my local store, but only in black.

Check online also...

http://www.denverfabrics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=27589&source=Search
I've ordered from denverfabrics before, very fast service

http://www.zipperstop.com/id19.htm
has multiple styles AND colors; i haven't used this company before but I might!

Just google "separating zippers" I was amazed at the number that came up!

CaraSkates
09-07-2006, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=Skate@Delaware]My local sewing store can special order zippers....you might want to check around your area. I have been somewhat lucky to find a 32" separating zipper in my local store, but only in black.

[QUOTE]

My local Hancocks carries up to 36" separating in black only....however it's not long enough for my legs! I think I need a 39 or 40" zipper. I'm off to look at denver fabrics, I saw some other stuff there I might need....

sk8_mom
09-07-2006, 02:25 PM
My daughter talked me into buying her a pair of these skate deodorizer things. They're made of fleece, shaped like long cylinders and have animal faces, and come in different scents. And while they were on clearance, they still were expensive, and I'm wondering how long they last.

I'd like to try making something similar, was thinking they might make for an interesting fundraiser for the club (no more chocolate bars!)

Has anyone ever tried making these? They don't look hard to make, but I have no idea what is inside them. They're fairly heavy and are supposed to absorb odors so I'm thinking cornstarch maybe? The brand name was "stink-eez" or something like that.

flo
09-07-2006, 02:58 PM
A dessicant to remove the humidity as well.

Isk8NYC
09-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Has anyone ever tried making these? They don't look hard to make, but I have no idea what is inside them. They're fairly heavy and are supposed to absorb odors so I'm thinking cornstarch maybe? The brand name was "stink-eez" or something like that. I don't know exactly what "stink-eez" contains, but I keep a kid's sock in my bag. It's filled with flower-drying crystals called "silica gel" and activated charcoal. You get the silica from the craft store and the charcoal from the pet store. Stuff it in the sock and sew (or just tie it tightly) closed.

The silica absorbs moisture (which is why I keep it in the bag, not in the skate) and the charcoal absorbs odors. (Also great for musty dresser drawers. I tried adding scents, like lavender, but the charcoal made the scent disappear.

I guess you could make a pair that'll fit inside a skate as a fundraiser.

flo
09-07-2006, 04:15 PM
http://waltonfeed.com/grain/faqs/ivd2.html

good info on desiccants

doubletoe
09-07-2006, 04:48 PM

I've always got some E6000 clear fabric glue around, since I use it for gluing crystals onto my skating dresses. It's perfect (as one might assume) for gluing fabric, especially since it stretches a bit with the fabric.