View Full Version : Being forced to give up...

icenut84
08-29-2006, 06:06 PM
I've been skating (sometimes regularly, sometimes not) for the last 5 and a half years, but it's starting to look like I might have to virtually quit. I've been at university for the last 3 years, in a city that has an ice rink, but since graduating I've moved home. Where I live has no local ice rink - the nearest one takes about 1.5 hours or more to get there - probably more. Although I've been a few times since being at home, I'm trying to find a full-time job. Once I get one, my monday-fridays will be filled (it's not really feasable to get to the rink in the evening, as they don't have practice sessions that late and it'd be very difficult to get there). The distance is only a problem physically - I've always travelled to go skating, so I'm willing to do it. When I first started skating, I had to travel an hour each way to the ice rink (but that one has now closed down). My boyfriend lives in another city, so I always spend my weekends with him, meaning that they aren't really free for skating either (I can't see him during the week). Once I get the job, I can't help thinking that I just won't be able to skate any more.

Even though I've been skating this long, for the last 4 of the 5.5 years I have not had regular lessons, and have often gone for a couple of months between them. I haven't always been able to practice that often either - normally no more than twice a week, and that was when I was at uni. Because of this, I can't help feeling demotivated about my progress. I was re-reading some of my old private messages I sent, and I realised that I'm trying the same jumps now as I was three years ago (the loop and flip). I've landed them sporadically, but with no practice any progress I make just disappears again. While I know that my basic skating has improved in that time, my elements haven't really, and it makes me really sad. I often think, what if I'd had regular lessons/practice this whole time? I also don't do dance any more because of the lesson/practice issue, and I used to really like it.

At the moment, I'm trying to make the effort to keep practicing, even though it's only once every week or two weeks at the moment (at the most) - it's not easy to get there, and also I'm not too flush with cash at the moment. But when I go, I'm just trying to make sure I can still do what I can do, but I'm not really improving, and not progressing - and each time I go, it just makes me miss it again. I hate feeling like that because there was a time I felt like I was progressing well, when I was moving through tests and elements. I just can't see a time when I'll be able to skate regularly and learn, at least not for the forseeable future.

Sorry, long post - I just wondered if anyone had any words of advice or wisdom. Kind of feels like a hopeless situation at the moment.

miraclegro
08-29-2006, 06:20 PM
I know it must be frustrating, but if you still have the burning passion to skate, i say keep the fires burning. I started at 18 yrs. old with my first lesson, and then got married at 23, where there was no rink for 15-18 years. By then i had two fairly young children, a part-time job and had to drive an hour and 20 minutes to the nearest rink. BUT I LOVED IT! I would sometimes get up at 4am and drive to get to the freestyle. My husband would handle the a.m. shift with the kids, and ...

i started back at 1x per week, but figured out if i wanted to progress i would have to bump to 2x per week. I only got a lesson about 2 times a month, and would take any and all free tips, hand me down skating clothes, and shopped for myself at the consignment stores so i would have my money to use for skating. (the gas prices were a little better when i had to drive that distance).

I finally passed my Silver MIF test last year, and am working on my Gold - which is pretty hard at 46 years old. This winter we FINALLY got a rink in our town - after 22 years of marriage. And, if it makes you feel any better, every day, i think i am getting to old to do this. But i have been told i look 25 so it surely must keep ya young, and i find, in the middle of approaching menopause, it is indeed the "coolest" place to be!

You just have to go with your heart on this one. If you think about it a lot, you'll probably be more sad if you give it up. Let me know what you do. I'll say a little prayer for you!

Hannahclear
08-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Are there any early morning sessions near you? I skate twice per week at 6am, and hold down a job. Then I squeeze one more session in per weekend.

I was in a very similar situation after college. I didn't have a car, or money to pay for regular lessons. I was stuck in a holding pattern for about two years. Then, my financial picture improved and I was able to skate more seriously. I've passed prebronze and bronze adult tests from August 05 to August 06. You CAN do it! It may take a few years to get on the ice regularly, but if you really love it, it will come back to you.

I know it's sad. Skate when you can and just wait for the right opportunity.

VegasGirl
08-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Welcome to adulthood and real life! ;)

saras
08-30-2006, 12:01 AM
I've been skating (sometimes regularly, sometimes not) for the last 5 and a half years, but it's starting to look like I might have to virtually quit. I've been at university for the last 3 years, in a city that has an ice rink, but since graduating I've moved home. Where I live has no local ice rink - the nearest one takes about 1.5 hours or more to get there - probably more. Although I've been a few times since being at home, I'm trying to find a full-time job. Once I get one, my monday-fridays will be filled (it's not really feasable to get to the rink in the evening, as they don't have practice sessions that late and it'd be very difficult to get there).

<snip>

Sorry, long post - I just wondered if anyone had any words of advice or wisdom. Kind of feels like a hopeless situation at the moment.

Pic Skates are rollarblades that emulate figure skates - with a rocker and a toe picky thing. It's not the same as ice, but it'll keep you in mostly-ice shape until you have more access to ice or a job or whatever.

Raye
08-30-2006, 12:34 AM
I know where you are at... It is hard to be in a place in your life where you may have to cut back on skating, or aaaaaaaaaak give it up altogether temporarily.

28 years ago I had to give up skating on a regular basis when I found out I was expecting my first child. I went back to skating once a week after she was born, but that didn't last too long because along came her brother and her sister.... I took them to family public skating once in awhile, and once they were in school I ALWAYS volunteered to be a parent chaperone when the class had a field trip to the skating rink... I would have liked to go to a figure skating session during that time, but there wasn't time - homework - brownies - scouts - gymnastics - dancing classes - swimming lessons - soccer- baseball - after school jobs and paper routes.... Honestly, there was about a ten year period when I thought the steering wheel was part of my anatomy... and all these things my kids did cost money so there was none for me to pay for skating even if there had been time.

They are all grown up and gone on to their lives now and I was able to return to skating two and a half years ago. The first time I stepped back on the ice felt like coming home... and it WAS like starting over, especially for the first six or seven months. The comeback trail was not going to be easy.

I have absolutely NO REGRETS and would do it all again in a heartbeat...

Whatever happens, we are here to encourage you, and I hope it all works out for you that you can keep skating........

Mrs Redboots
08-30-2006, 05:10 AM
Don't forget that, just because you're looking for a job in your home city, you won't necessarily live there all your life. Even if you can't skate more than occasionally at this stage, you can always take it up again later. You've built a foundation that will stand you in good stead if you find yourself ever working in London or Birmingham or Nottingham or Sheffield..... or anywhere else with a rink, for that matter.

Do they do any Christmas rinks near where you live? If so, you're sure of being able to skate at least one month in the year!

flo
08-30-2006, 11:44 AM
No one's forcing you to do anything. If you really want to skate, you'll find a way. It may be difficult and not the ideal situation, but we all have and do make choices.

Sonic
08-30-2006, 04:43 PM
I sympathise with you icenut84. It is very frustrating not being able to skate much, no matter how good you are, the only way you make progress (in the sense of getting better/learning new moves) is to get ice time.

Look at it this way. Yes, you are 'treading water' at the moment, but as Mrs Redboots says, this may well only be at the moment - in the future your situation may change, you may move to a different town with a rink, be able to skate more often, and move from 'treading water' to 'swimming again'.

So hang in there...

S xxx

NickiT
08-31-2006, 07:52 AM
Another thing to remember is this. You are obviously still very young. There are several skaters on this forum who didn't even start skating till they were well past their 30's. So while it isn't ideal at the moment, I'm sure that at some point in the future you will return and will have that added advantage of having skated before which several of us didn't have. I'm sure too that you will take up every opportunity to skate in the meantime. The best of luck to you.

Nicki