View Full Version : Broken Toe

itfigures
08-29-2006, 09:43 AM
Hi everyone~
This is probably the weirdest story you've ever heard.
I was practicing jumps in my living room, I had pushed the coffe table to the side and started to jump, some how when I was going to try the axel I kicked my leg and my foot hit it into the coffe table! Ouch! That night my toe was covered with ice packs. The next day I tried to skate mostly every time my foot touched the ice my toe stung. I've decided to go to the doctor and I got some x-rays done. Unfortunatly My toe was broken, now I have two toes taped together and have to wear a special shoe to help me walk. My lessons are going to begin in 2 weeks and I wanted to know If anyone had broken a toe before:
1. how long did it take to heel?
2. is there anything I can put in my skate to stop the pain so I can continue with lessons?

Thank you!

Mrs Redboots
08-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Ouch, poor you! I have never knowingly broken my toe, although I have stubbed it so badly that I probably did break it! Can't help with how long it will take to heal - but as soon as you can wear your skates without pain, do so!

doubletoe
08-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Which toe was it? If it was your pinkie toe, it probably won't be much of a problem, but if it was your big toe, or even the toe next to the big toe, it will be a problem.

Get better soon! :??

CanuckSk8r
08-29-2006, 12:52 PM
I don't think my pinkie toes have ever healed totally again, but it's no big deal. Don't feel bad about how you did it - my dog broke mine both times! :frus:

Agreed that if it's your pinkie toe, no big deal and put it in your skate as soon as it will fit!

Speedy recovering to you!

ic3ang3l
08-29-2006, 04:19 PM
a little while back i broke my pinkie toe but while it was healing, i broke it again from jumping on it so then it took even longer to heal. it took about a month b4 anyone let me jump again. so just wrap it and be careful
;)

phoenix
08-29-2006, 04:29 PM
I broke my pinkie finger last year right about this time (my dog broke it too!! What is it with dogs?!). It took a good 8 weeks to be truly healed, but it started improving as far as pain lessoning after maybe 4 weeks. It takes awhile, so be patient.

coskater64
08-29-2006, 07:39 PM
I feel for you-- I crushed my last digit of my left big toe and was in a foot brace for about 3 weeks, through some miracle I did not totally lose my toenail. It grew back but it took about 4 months. I dropped a 35 lb piece of granite on it I won't go into all the details but there was an awful lot of blood and a visit to the emergency room (late at night) and lots of vicodin.

I was off the ice for 6 weeks and it wasn't that bad, to this day I have very little feeling on the tip of that toe but otherwise I'm fine. In all honesty and as a person who generally suffers through everything don't skate on it, cancel your lessons, let it heal, if you don't you can do some serious harm. (think gangren(sp))

xofivebyfive
08-29-2006, 08:05 PM
I broke my left pinky toe two summers ago. I didn't even know it was broken for about 2 months, even though it was very sore and purple! Once it was x-rayed the doctor told me I should be very careful walking on it and I couldn't play soccer for 3 weeks. I wasn't skating then, but I would suggest you don't skate, as the toes are squished in the boot anyway and its a lot of pressure on it.

Erica Lee
08-29-2006, 08:48 PM
When I broke/sprained (not sure, never actually went to the doc) my pinkie toe, I couldn't even fit a regular shoe on my foot - much less a skate.

Two weeks may be enough time to have improved enough.. but trust what your body is telling you at the time - if it's uncomfortable, it's probably not a good idea.

itfigures
08-30-2006, 08:47 AM
Thank you so much for responding!
I thought that having a broken pinky toe wouldn't be much of a big deal but I soon found out that I couldn't walk or stand. Luckly I have wide sneakers so my foot can fit with out any pain.
Just went back to the doctor and she told me that I should've had a cast put on my foot but since the "special shoe" wasn't bothering me, I could keep it!:) Unfortunatly, she said that I couldn't play any sports untill I see the orthopediest. (Which is in 2 weeks)
Hopefully my foot feels better soon so I can have my lessons!!

Thank you again!!!!!!!

Isk8NYC
08-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Weird broken toe stories? I have a doozy: oldest DD is at a friend's house, working on a school project. They decided that it should be a video, so they set up in the basement. Part of my DD's "script" involves a pratfall onto the couch. Little did she know it was a SECTIONAL sofa, which parted as she flopped onto it. Losing her balance, she whacked her foot on the incredibly-heavy coffee table. Not wanting to be any trouble, the two ninnies didn't tell the other girls' parents.

By the time she got home, the second toe was bigger than the first one. One three-hour pediatrician referral / orthopaedist visit and a set of xrays later, she was home with instructions to stay off it for two days. After that, she could go skating since the skate acted like a cast. (The ortho was the mother of a skater, one of my students in fact, as it turns out.)

Three weeks later, she broke the toe next to it tripping on the stairs. Before anyone assumes there was abuse involved, she also grew six inches in less than two months. Chaulk it up to growing pains and teenage awkwardness.