View Full Version : Comfortable boots - & an Ebay Bargain

SkatingOnClouds
08-28-2006, 10:05 PM
After all my fretting about buying new boots and blades, trying to work out what to buy, things have sorted themselves out and I just had to share it.

Firstly, a change of stocking type suddenly made my Graf Galaxy boots feel as comfy as old slippers (well almost - at least they don't hurt anymore). I was wearing thin knee high stockings, but last week I tried some microfibre ankle socks, and suddenly my boots stopped being too tight. If anything, I now have a little slippage. (A curious side effect is that my laces now feel like they're made of elastic - I keep having to tighten them. If I tighten them too much to begin with, my feet cramp. They are nylon laces that came with my boots, maybe I should try cotton?)

My blades are 20+ year old Phantoms which have had a hard life and have only had one decent sharpening in that life, the last possible one. MK don't make 10 1/3 anymore so I was going to have to change down to 10 1/4, re-plug the holes and start again. New Phantoms cost $700 AUD 8O . A lot of money but I've skated in them so long I didn't want to have to get used to something different.

I cannot believe how lucky I was to find a pair of 24 year old 10 1/3 Phantoms size on Ebay. Identical to mine but in better condition, and with sharpenings still left in them, for $135 AUD including postage.

Even though they are still moderately sharp I will get them sharpened before fitting them, because I have to send them away. This way I can skate on the old blades and not miss any sessions.

Now, if only my skating could sort itself out so neatly....

dbny
08-29-2006, 12:44 AM
Congratulations and thanks for sharing. This is exactly why I love eBay!

sk8_4fun
08-29-2006, 06:31 AM
My brand new Gam ultra 95s were a bit of an ebay bargain. They were custom made (wide fitting just like me....) for someone who grew out of them before they even had a chance to put blades on! so I got them for $240 shipped. I have heated moulded them to fit me and I just can't wait to try them out now.

AW1
08-29-2006, 08:08 AM
Karen,
That's great - what a stroke of luck! I'm so pleased for you. I wonder if that would help in my new skates, which incidentally I've barely skated in....:roll:

icedancer2
08-29-2006, 04:09 PM
You are so lucky to have found the blades that you like!! I 've heard that the "new" Phantoms are different from the older ones, too, and so a new one would most likely not have worked for you.

Sounds great all around -- and yes, I like those microfiber socks, too -- very comfy, don't bunch up or stretch out, no holes, etc., -- well, at least so far!!:)

SkatingOnClouds
08-29-2006, 07:27 PM
I 've heard that the "new" Phantoms are different from the older ones, too, and so a new one would most likely not have worked for you.

Yeah, I'd read that in this forum, and it was a worry. Guess I'll have to try the new style one day, but hopefully not too soon.