View Full Version : what would you buy at a competition?

ic3ang3l
08-28-2006, 12:15 PM
im just trying to get some ideas on some things i can make and sell at our next competition. if you have any ideas, please suggest them and about how much you would pay for it.
Thanks.

dooobedooo
08-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Useful things to buy:
- plastic blade guards (say 8 to 10 US dollars);
- towelling or fur fabric blade protectors (I've seen fun ones in animal fur fabric made to look like Dalmation puppies or teddies) (say 8 - 15 dollars depending on cuteness);
- boot covers (lycra, velvet or furry) (say 6 to 15 dollars);
- wrap skirt for practice (say 30 to 40 dollars for kid to adult);
- triangular skate bag (waterproof with zip and pockets for CD's etc) (say 30 dollars);
- skate tape;
- d-i-y skate sharpener (such as skatemate or pro-filer);
- laces;
- fleecy warm-up zipped jacket (depends on quality, say 40 to 50 dollars, but more if exceptional quality);
- zip-off skating warmup trousers (depends on quality, say 40 to 50 dollars);
- skating notebook with sections for practice notes etc.
- hair scrunchies (in velvet, satin, fleece or anything sparkly or sequinned or funky-looking: say 10 to 20 dollars)

Unusual things to buy:
- spin trainer;

Fun things to buy:
- toys to throw (I think you can buy these in bulk from a cash and carry, about 10 to 20 dollars);
- skater earrings or pendant.

And things I NEVER buy!! :?? :
- glass ornaments;
- super-thick tights;
- dayglo lycra dresses ...

Don't know whether my suggested prices are up-to-date!

dbny
08-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Skating jewelry!

phoenix
08-28-2006, 02:04 PM
pretty wrap skirts (I wouldn't pay more than $20)
gloves
little souvenirs w/ the city or competition names on them
t-shirts/sweatshirts w/ same as above
pretty note books/pens (like the kids keep their lesson notes in)
stickers
fancy hair ornaments
competition make up kits / makeup cases
CD cases
Good luck/thank you/congratulations cards
flowers (if you're allowed to sell those)

IOW, a little more unique things than the same ol' stuff that's in every skate shop! And all of this you can make or buy & embellish to make it more special. Hope that inspires you!

flo
08-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Hi,
there was a similar thread after the last halloween classic. You might get a few more ideas there. I think it was under vendors.

Mel On Ice
08-29-2006, 09:31 AM
I always seem to buy towels, soakers and pins.

Mrs Redboots
08-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Boot covers! And once a scarf, and once a T-shirt, and once even a second-hand dress that fitted and does me as a practice-dress.

doubletoe
08-29-2006, 12:15 PM
If it has the competition logo on it, and the design is good, I would pay up to the following amounts for the following items:

- Small towel (100% cotton, or else they aren't absorbent enough) $5
- Long-sleeved zip-up shirt/sweatshirt for warming up on ice (NO HOOD) $25
- Small insulated waterproof bag for carrying a drink, CD, etc. $10

Mrs Redboots
08-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Very few of our competitions have such luxuries, but I would pay up to €10 for a T-shirt and €20 for a sweatshirt at somewhere like the Mountain Cup (which sometimes has them, but not every year). That's roughly the same in dollars, I think.

Forgot to say that the other thing I always buy is a programme, especially if it comes with mark sheets. And if you have to buy mark sheets separately, I do still buy them and try to find a kind friend to note down our marks and those of our competitors.

flo
08-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Doubletoe - as you mentioned a zip up sweater - I was shopping this weekend in Florida and saw navy zip up hoodless sweaters in the school uniforms section for the back to school kids. They were perfect for skating sweaters - not too warm and no hood. I'm going to grab a couple when they go on sale - which should be now.

Skate@Delaware
08-29-2006, 03:02 PM
I hate hoodies...but they seem to be everywhere!

I like t-shirts with sparkles on them or skating logos; competition logos are good
skating jewelry
hair stuff/clips
soakers-the really fat ones
anything I can't get at my local area rink:lol:

cutiesk8r43
08-29-2006, 05:08 PM
When I go to a competition I usually buy....
Skating T-shirts (7-15 dollars)
cute little skating charms (2-4 dollars)

VegasGirl
08-29-2006, 09:03 PM
In general I don't buy anything at a competition except for maybe some food and something to drink... but even that I'd much rather buy outside. Competitions are expensive enough without spending any extra money on overpriced stuff.

Raye
08-30-2006, 12:05 AM
EXTRA TIGHTS!!! I have been known to put my finger through my best tights at the worst possible moment and needing to replace them in a panic because I'm on in ten minutes!! :frus: :frus:

I have bought at least one pair of replacement tights at nearly every competiton I've been to, and it's NOT because I didn't bring an extra pair!