View Full Version : Keeping skating dress from slipping?

mikawendy
08-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Does anyone have any tips on keeping a skating dress from slipping? The straps on my skating dress are loose, and the way that the top of the dress is constructed, it would be very visible if I were to take them in slightly unless I were to do major surgery on the dress. (I'm using it this weekend, so I don't want to do major surgery on it right now.)

Is there any sort of tape that people use? I think I've heard that synchro skaters have something they use. I tried searching past threads, but I can't figure out what search terms to use that will find what I'm looking for (slip/slipping brings up too many results).

The dress is cotton/lycra blend, so I'm hoping I can steam the straps to get them to go back to their original shape/size a little.

Skate@Delaware
08-23-2006, 08:36 PM
There is stuff called Hollywood Fashion Tape. I haven't used it but it looked interesting and like something I should stock up on. In your area it's sold at:

Sitting Pretty
Annapolis, MD 21401
410-267-1722

L' Apparenza
Baltimore, MD 21209
410-372-0350

La Papillon
Timonium, MD 21093
410-252-1400

good luck!!!

beachbabe
08-23-2006, 10:41 PM
use some plain old double sisded tape- thats what all celebs use to stop any accidents on the red carpet- so I'm sure it must work.

Or ask a tailor to fix it?

samba
08-24-2006, 01:00 AM
Are the straps long enough to cross over at the back? or maybe replace the straps with strips of diamontes or stretch sequins crossing over at the back would look pretty.

Skate@Delaware
08-24-2006, 06:46 AM
That's a good idea, Samba. I know you can get the jeweled bra straps, or even clear and then you'd just have to stitch a loop for them to attach to. Or Samba's suggestion of the stretchy jewels (which you should be able to find where you live).

I have also heard of some people using wig/toupee tape, which is really sticky (maybe "ouch" sticky) and available wherever wigs are sold.

There is another tape, which I just remembered, called Res-Q-tape. I don't know if it sticks to skin as I haven't used it before, but it says it sticks fabric-to-fabric and I do recall seeing it at Jo-Annes fabrics so it should be available at a most fabric stores; just ask.

These are things that happen during shows and then you are scrambling for "fixes"......I've placed an order for the stuff. (as a seamstress and rink mom, I'm known to carry a kajillion safety pins, straight pins, measuring tape, etc. in my skate bag, so why not?)

In a pinch-take a piece of cording type of elastic and run it through the straps, and tie/knot it to the base of the dress after you have adjusted it. Be sure you tack it with some larger stitches so it doesn't come undone. If you use the clear type of elastic, stretch it pretty good first because it needs to be pre-stretched!

flippet
08-24-2006, 07:00 AM
Isn't there some kind of adhesive spray that beauty pageant contestants and gymnasts use to keep things in place?

skaternum
08-24-2006, 07:04 AM
Spray rosin will work. Very sticky.

Skate@Delaware
08-24-2006, 07:20 AM
Spray rosin will work. Very sticky.
Where do you get it?

flo
08-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Mika, we can also get some thin elastic cord to either match your skin, or paint it the color of the dress, and run it across the back. The colored cord would make a pretty design.

skaternum
08-25-2006, 07:48 AM
Where do you get it?
I used to get it a large dance supply store. You can also get it anywhere that sells gymnastics supplies.

VegasGirl
08-25-2006, 08:37 AM
I just use ordinary double-sided tape bought at Walmart, Target or such... works like a charm not just for skating dresses but low-cut evening dresses as well.

Skate@Delaware
08-25-2006, 11:35 AM
I used to get it a large dance supply store. You can also get it anywhere that sells gymnastics supplies.
I guess the key-word is "large" which means not the little one in my town....to the internet!!!

I haven't had to much success with the typical double-stick tape, maybe I'm too rough.

skaternum
08-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Maybe you could alter it without having to remove the straps from the body of the dress. If you cut the straps and re-sew them together, you could use a rhinestone button or pin to cover up the seam on the strap. You could even add a line of evenly spaced buttons or pins to it (maybe even those little jeweled hair things) to make it look even more intentional.

mikawendy
08-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks for all of the great suggestions!

Since I need a quick fix this weekend (and then have time before the next time I'll be using the dress), I ran out and bought some heavy-duty double-sided tape from a dance supply store. Hopefully the tape will stick enough even if I sweat...

if not, I'll have to experiment after that (flo, I like your idea for elastic straps). The dress is constructed with a tank leotard as a base (the straps are part of the leotard fabric as opposed to separate pieces--otherwise the rhinestone idea sounds like a great idea for other dresses, skaternum). The whole front of the dress has ULTRA ULTRA firm power net in it (which has the effect of pulling the whole thing down) and it's already short waisted.

Is spray rosin similar to the spray stickum that some pairs skaters use?

skaternum
08-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Is spray rosin similar to the spray stickum that some pairs skaters use?Yep. I hope the double-sided tape works. Let us know. And if it doesn't, don't post the pictures! :halo:

SDFanatic
08-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Yep. I hope the double-sided tape works. Let us know. And if it doesn't, don't post the pictures! :halo:
Why not? :twisted: :halo:

Steven

mikawendy
08-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Hi, everyone--
Thanks, the double-sided tape did work--so no "wardrobe malfunctions" here today. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm glad I wore different clothes to practice in, then changed into my dress, as I think had I worn my dress, the tape wouldn't have kept sticking. But it was sticky enough to make the dress feel secure and not distract me, which it has done in the past. (And thanks, flo, for lending your bronzy/coppery dress just in case I had a mishap with my dress!)