View Full Version : Weird skirt request.. need help finding..

xofivebyfive
08-23-2006, 06:41 PM
I would like to find a skating skirt that is yellow, white.. or light purple. Any hints as to where I should look? Oh and another question.. someone on a different skating forum said that they liked skating without anything on their feet, just with the over the boot tights. Usually I do wear one pair of ankle length tights, then a pair of over the boot ones. Once you get used to bare feet, you'll never go back to socks or tights. Wouldn't you get blisters from doing that? I skated without socks once and got a bad blister on my foot.. that's still here 3 months later..

mikawendy
08-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Go to this web site (http://www.discountdance.com/frame_set.php3?mf=/dancewear/page_SKT_p1.html). The URL that I've put into the link should take you to their skirts page, displayed by color. I'm pretty sure that the Mirella and M. Stevens brand have skirts available in lavender and white. The Mirella skirts may also come in "buttercup" (a buttery yellow) as they sell a leotard in that color and often sell skirts in matching colors.

nja
08-23-2006, 07:31 PM
I have seen a number of people skate barefoot in their skates. Personally, I couldn't do it, but to each their own. It must be comfortable for them or they wouldn't be doing it.

techskater
08-23-2006, 08:02 PM
I was asked when I ordered my boots whether I skate barefoot. Abosolutely! It is the best feeling in the world! So much control over the boot with my foot and no slippage from tights

xofivebyfive
08-23-2006, 08:36 PM
You don't get blisters or anything? Maybe it's different for skates but I've always been told my my parents not to go in sneakers or those kind of shoes barefoot. :??

twokidsskatemom
08-23-2006, 08:56 PM
My son skates barefoot after seeing some coaches skate that way. He has no blisters or pain.

SpaMama
08-23-2006, 09:51 PM
my daughter tried it for the first time a few days ago and loved it. However got a whopping blister on the second day, so had to go back to socks today.
Not sure if she will try it again after they heal.

SpaMama

Mrs Redboots
08-24-2006, 04:42 AM
I had to skate barefoot once when I forgot to take a pair of thin socks to wear under my over-boot tights. Didn't give myself a blister or anything, but didn't find it very comfortable, so wouldn't repeat the experience unless I had to.

But many senior skaters don't wear socks, and prefer it that way, so I have been told.

You can go sockless in practically any form of footwear, if you wish, once your feet are used to it. The one I can't see how people do, though, is about the one form of footwear that you can't wear socks with, flip-flops. The only times I've ever worn them, I've developed appalling blisters between my big toe and second toe, where the plastic bit goes....

flippet
08-24-2006, 07:27 AM
I tried skating barefoot once, and yes with the blisters. (Hubby did it once, and got a crater-sized blister. Ouch.)

I think what may make the difference is whether you're skating in a pair of boots that's already stretched out to fit your tights or socks, or whether it's a fresh pair that fits snugly.

As for me, I skate in nylon knee-hi's (or pop sox)--I find that they're thinner than tights, and super-cheap, and they provide just that sheerest layer over the skin to prevent blistering.

Isk8NYC
08-24-2006, 09:50 AM
I usually wear pantyhose socks or tights. I've skated barefoot in a pinch, but I don't care for the "stuck" feeling on the bottom of my feet. (Feels like I can't get my foot into the right spot.) Still, barefoot is bearable. I really dislike wearing socks -- I lose all feeling of skate control.

If your skates fit you with socks on, skating without a sock might make the skate slightly too big; then you could get blisters. If you're using good/high quality, well-fitted skates, you shouldn't get blisters from "barefootin'."

techskater
08-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Nope, no blisters, only when breaking in the boots, but I'd get those either way

VegasGirl
08-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Go to this web site (http://www.discountdance.com/frame_set.php3?mf=/dancewear/page_SKT_p1.html). The URL that I've put into the link should take you to their skirts page, displayed by color. I'm pretty sure that the Mirella and M. Stevens brand have skirts available in lavender and white. The Mirella skirts may also come in "buttercup" (a buttery yellow) as they sell a leotard in that color and often sell skirts in matching colors.

Hm, but those are all wrap style dance skirts not skate skirts with attached briefs... this page (http://www.tidewaterice.com/mondorpage3.htm) has a couple of light purple skating skirts.

I don't know what kind of yellow you're looking for but Jerry's has a skating skirt in Mango (http://www.icessorizeunlimited.com/site/475661/product/JR-514) that looks kind of yellow.
Rebel makes a chiffon skating skirt (http://www.rebelskatewear.com/product_info.php?products_id=273) that comes in light yellow, light purple (lilac) and white (as well as other colors).
Or send this lady (http://cgi.ebay.com/Purple-Green-Ice-Skating-Flat-Skirt-Practice-Competit_W0QQitemZ320020774049QQihZ011QQcategoryZ1 37008QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) an email and see if she can make you one.

iskatealot
08-27-2006, 11:17 AM
Whenever I have skated without socks I have gotten the WORST blisters. Considering that i dont like having blood and gunk all in my skates I prefer to stick to socks.... I also want to mention that I HATE skating in the tights that go in your boot because those are too slippery....

itfigures
08-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Try looking at
www.rebelskatewear.com
That where I buy all of my clothes!

About Skating with no socks,
I did that once and it hurt me sooo bad~
the insides of my skates are fuzzy and my foot kept sliding. It gave me some sort of rug burn and blisters up the ying yang!

icenut84
08-29-2006, 05:16 PM
I skated barefoot a while ago when I wore flip flops to the rink and forgot to take socks with me. I didn't mind it too much - in a way it felt good, but towards the end the boots seemed to rub a little more, and I had big prints on my feet when I took the skates off :) I'd still prefer socks (haven't tried tights) but would be ok if I had to go barefoot.

You can go sockless in practically any form of footwear, if you wish, once your feet are used to it. The one I can't see how people do, though, is about the one form of footwear that you can't wear socks with, flip-flops. The only times I've ever worn them, I've developed appalling blisters between my big toe and second toe, where the plastic bit goes....

I can't wear the plastic ones either, they hurt my feet too much, but you can get flip flops where the bit between your toes (and across your foot) is material instead of plastic. Try Accessorize (where I got mine), they sell some that have a kind of straw-look sole and material strap part. They're really comfortable.

LilJen
08-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Try www.gk-elitesportswear.com. Go to the Holiday/Winter 2006 section, then choose separates. Bingo! White and light purple skirts! (velvet; they do have a couple of others in white; didn't see any yellow.)

Skate@Delaware
08-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Believe it or not, you CAN get socks to wear with flip-flops!!! They are Japanese (called tabi socks) and I saw them on eBay (where else?) in a lot of different colors and designs...I thought they would make really cute gifts for some of the kids who do wear flip-flops to the rink (even in winter).
Here is one, you can look for more:
http://stores.ebay.com/Hannari-Ya_TABI-SOCKS_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ2QQftidZ2QQtZkm

xofivebyfive
08-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Hey thanks everybody!