View Full Version : Spiral Sequence

miraclegro
08-23-2006, 01:29 PM
I am working on putting together my Silver freestyle program, and one of the Silver program requirements is a "Spiral Sequence." Since i don't know the definition for this, and i haven't spoken with my coach in the past few days, does that mean changing feet in the spiral, or just changing edge? Any definition on this would be appreciated.

flo
08-23-2006, 01:43 PM
both. Take a look at the requirements for the spiral sequence. Also remember to hold each position for 3 secs. As far as points and such, any change in core position is higher as well as unassisted spiras, such as spiral to spiral without steps in between. But be sure to check the regs carefully.

Mine w/o pushes or crossovers was: Forward right outside, counter to back right outside change of core position to layover, change feet (hop) to forward left inside, cross r over L to forward right develope spiral, end on flat.
It filled the length of the rink.

Frumpy
08-23-2006, 02:06 PM
You may want to check on the new well-balanced program requirements for Silver (for competition). According to the recent Governing Council:

"A maximum of one (1) step (i.e. circular, straight line, serpentine) utilizing at least one-half (1/2) of the ice surface.
- Additional moves-in-the field, spiral sequences and step sequences will not be counted as a step sequence but will be counted in the free program as transitions and marked as such."

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/adults-06GC.pdf

The Silver freeskate test does not specifically require a spiral sequence, but expects connecting moves, including spirals.

I hope that helps.

doubletoe
08-23-2006, 02:17 PM
At Adult Gold, there is the option of EITHER a spiral sequence OR a footwork sequence, but there is no such option in Silver; you are required to do a footwork sequence. You could do a spiral sequence in addition to the footwork sequence, but you probably don't have time to do both and still get all your jumps and spins in. Of course you can--and should--do a spiral in your program, but it would just be a spiral, not a spiral *sequence*.

miraclegro
08-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Okay, i need to re-read my book. I thought mine was either/or, but if my footwork is required and i think it is in a serpentine, i'll need to reconfigure things. Thanks for the tips.

miraclegro
08-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Okay, i checked the copy of the page of the manual from my coaches book. It is either/or. And i am working on a test for Silver freestyle and wanting to use it some for competition for an ISI event, although i will have to change out some things.

I am assuming the test and competition requirements are the same, are they not?

rlichtefeld
08-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Okay, i checked the copy of the page of the manual from my coaches book. It is either/or. And i am working on a test for Silver freestyle and wanting to use it some for competition for an ISI event, although i will have to change out some things.

I am assuming the test and competition requirements are the same, are they not?
The rules have changed this year, and the new rulebooks aren't out yet. So, the rulebook that you are looking at will be incorrect.

Check out:

Also, I've got the Test and Program rules at:
http://gerfsc.com/rules.htm

Rob

doubletoe
08-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Actually, there are a few omissions/errors--on that adult well-balanced program rules chart. The most thorough (and official) version of the new rules for the 9/1/2006 season are in Appendix A of the Combined Report of Action, which is the report that comes out of the Governing Council every year (which is where new rules are decided on). The text below is from page 34 of that report, which can be found here:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/COMBINED%20ROA%20Oct%2005%20-May%2006.pdf

ADULT SILVER – maximum time 2:10
Jumps & Jump Combinations
- Maximum of five (5) different single jump elements, which may include the Axel jump.
- Jumps may be repeated only once and only in combination and/or sequences.
- There must be at least one (1) jump combination or sequence, but there may be up to three (3) jump combinations or sequences. Each jump combination and/or sequence counts as one (1) jump element. The number of jumps in a combination or a sequence is limited. One jump combination could consist of three (3) jumps, and the other two up to two (2) jumps.
- Additional jumps sequences which contain jumps of not more than one (1) revolution (i.e. mazurkas, half loops, etc.) performed as part of connecting footwork preceding single jumps are permitted.
- Only single jumps and Axels are allowed. No double or triple jumps are permitted.
Spins A maximum of two (2) three (3) spins of a different nature. These spins must have a minimum of three (3) revolutions, and if a spin includes a change of foot, it must have a minimum of three (3) revolutions on each foot.
There must be a minimum of (2) revolutions in each position or the position will not be counted
Steps - A maximum of one (1) step (i.e. circular, straight line, serpentine) utilizing at least one-half (1/2) of the ice surface.
- Additional moves-in-the field, spiral sequences and step sequences will not be counted as a step sequence but will be counted in the free program as transitions and marked as such.

doubletoe
08-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Spins A maximum of two (2) three (3) spins of a different nature.

In the original document, the "two (2)" was crossed out, showing that they had changed their minds and decided to allow 3 spins.

doubletoe
08-23-2006, 05:18 PM
The rules have changed this year, and the new rulebooks aren't out yet. So, the rulebook that you are looking at will be incorrect.

Check out:

Also, I've got the Test and Program rules at:
http://gerfsc.com/rules.htm

Rob

Rob, is that YOUR website?! I have always been so impressed by the great information you've got there! Wow! Awesome job! :bow:

miraclegro
08-23-2006, 09:05 PM
what is the date of the new books coming out?

doubletoe
08-23-2006, 09:46 PM
The new rules for the 2006-2007 season are effective September 1, 2006.

Thin-Ice
08-24-2006, 03:23 AM
what is the date of the new books coming out?

Although the rules go into effect on September 1st, you probably won't be receiving your new rulebooks until mid-September or later. Judges usually get an advance-issue, and the judges rulebooks won't start to be shipped until tomorrow (Friday 8/25). It usually takes about two weeks after judges books are shipped before they send out books to clubs who placed advance orders, and then USFS ships to individuals who had already ordered copies.

I wish USFS would just include the cost of a rulebook in basic membership.. tack on the extra dollars and automatically ship them to everyone along with the membership card. In my NOT so humble opinion EVERY skater, coach and judge should have a current copy of the rulebook. And no, I don't think kids in the same family should share one. I mean EVERY skater should have one... but then that's just my opinion.:lol:

skaternum
08-24-2006, 07:07 AM
I wish USFS would just include the cost of a rulebook in basic membership.. tack on the extra dollars and automatically ship them to everyone along with the membership card. In my NOT so humble opinion EVERY skater, coach and judge should have a current copy of the rulebook. And no, I don't think kids in the same family should share one. I mean EVERY skater should have one... but then that's just my opinion.:lol:I completely agree. I'm always amazed at how many people will come to forums like this, ask rule-related questions, and just take the word of a bunch of strangers online, and never crack open a rule book. Yes, they're not the easiest thing to read, but if everybody got one every year, I think more people would be likely to use them.

Skate@Delaware
08-24-2006, 07:25 AM
This reminds me of an incident that happened a few years ago. We had some kids going to an ISI competition. Instead of getting the new rulebook, the coach relied on her old book (which was 3-4 years old), with updates from the website. Well, she was missing some of the updates (not all had been posted). The judge told the coach that the children skated the wrong sequence. The coach was mad, the moms were really mad and the girls were crying (can you blame them?).

So, all the time they spent practicing the wrong steps, and skating it in the competition could have been avoided if she had gotten the new book.

Last year, she had a new rulebook.

flo
08-24-2006, 09:49 AM
The rulebook, or an updated web page is important now as the rules are changind daily. However in the not too distant past there were very few changes. I remember one coach of an olympic medal skater saying he didn't even own one then. Times change.

rlichtefeld
08-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Rob, is that YOUR website?! I have always been so impressed by the great information you've got there! Wow! Awesome job! :bow:

Yep, that's my website. I kinda started it to have info about the Geriatric Figure Skating Crew (GerFSC), the local adults at my rink.

But, it has morphed into "all things adult skating that Rob cares about". And, my member page (http://www.gerfsc.com/members/roblic.htm) is really my skating bio. The video page are all my videos, etc.

I still post results for the local skaters, but I also hosted the results of the Mountain Cup before they got their website. I still do an annual Mountain Cup page with totals by country (http://www.gerfsc.com/mountcup.htm)

So, at this point, it has sort of turned into a vanity site. But, it keeps me off the street.

And, the sales of the Vintage Figure Skater stuff, as well as the Google ads, more or less pay for the hosting.

Rob

Isk8NYC
08-24-2006, 02:18 PM
I wish USFS would just include the cost of a rulebook in basic membership.. tack on the extra dollars and automatically ship them to everyone along with the membership card. In my NOT so humble opinion EVERY skater, coach and judge should have a current copy of the rulebook. And no, I don't think kids in the same family should share one. I mean EVERY skater should have one... but then that's just my opinion.:lol:As an individual USFSA member, I DO receive a new rule book every year. I just wish I got a new pin every year - I keep misplacing mine!

Since the USFSA's revisions are easy to read, I don't mind starting over with a fresh book annually. The ISI changes are often hard to find in the new versions, so I prefer to hand-write the changes and effective dates in my old book. I got burned on a judges' test using a brand-new rule book. The ISI had removed a testing requirement for dance the year before. They noted this in the new book by simply leaving it out altogether, rather than using a strikeout with a change/date note. My old book had the removal actually written. (Live and learn, right?) The ISI website isn't always up to date, and it's often difficult to find the updates. (Not to mention that there are THREE manuals for ISI!)

BTW, Skate@Delaware, those dance step sequence changes were announced and reviewed at the annual coaches' seminars that take place in the fall. They explained the reasoning and clarified everything in person. (That year brought several major changes, affecting several different tests.) The changes weren't effective until the beginning of the next year. The coach you mentioned probably missed the update seminar; s/he also has to take the Judges' Update test before s/he can be a valid judge at competitions.

If anyone's skating ISI Synchro, there are a number of new changes to bring those events more in line with USFSA structure.
They ARE on the website and the link works now.

miraclegro
08-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Well, i certainly hope the little jab wasn't directed at me. I was reading the rule book, but was asking for some basic understanding. I do agree we should get one when we renew our membership; because i don't have all the time in the world to constantly be trying to figure out when things change, or when the new issue date is.

I gauge advice from the forum, but refer to my sources as well. -PJ

miraclegro
08-24-2006, 04:12 PM
I renew my membership through my club membership, so i guess that's why i don't get a book. Oh, brother.

Skate@Delaware
08-24-2006, 04:47 PM
I renew my membership through my club membership, so i guess that's why i don't get a book. Oh, brother.
me too, and I didn't get a new book last year because I knew there was a snowball's chance in heck that I would have time to test (I didn't)...except ISI which I did....however, I did order a new book for this year and now have to wait for it like everyone else. I don't bother getting an ISI book because my current coach keeps hers current.

I have learned to carry it rinkside with me in case my coach wants to refer to it; sometimes the other coaches do too (maybe I should charge viewing fees).

doubletoe
08-24-2006, 05:53 PM
I guess our club is a little more on top of things in that regard. Every year when we get our membership renewal form, it includes a form for ordering a new USFSA rulebook (which costs extra, but with all these changes every year, it's worth it!).

Thin-Ice
08-25-2006, 03:54 AM
Well, i certainly hope the little jab wasn't directed at me. I was reading the rule book, but was asking for some basic understanding. I do agree we should get one when we renew our membership; because i don't have all the time in the world to constantly be trying to figure out when things change, or when the new issue date is.

I gauge advice from the forum, but refer to my sources as well. -PJ

I wasn't directing any "jabs" at any skaters. It is nice to have people who are familiar with changes, nuances, interpretations we can ask questions of. And I think you're smart to back up those answers by checking the most current copy of the rulebook/most updated section of the official website... especially as we go through this transition time with the rules going into effect on 9/1 -- but the new rulebooks not shipped yet.:)

Thin-Ice
08-25-2006, 03:59 AM
I guess our club is a little more on top of things in that regard. Every year when we get our membership renewal form, it includes a form for ordering a new USFSA rulebook (which costs extra, but with all these changes every year, it's worth it!).

Our club also includes a rulebook order form, but not everyone takes advantage of it. Personally, I think it's silly to spend all that money on ice time, lessons, competition fees, costumes and music -- and not spend the small amount of money for a current rulebook so you know what is actually being judged on tests and competitions! Like I said before, I think they should just include the cost of a new book every year in the membership whether you register through a club or as an Individual member... and increase the price accordingly. Of course that STILL wouldn't mean everyone would actually look up the information themselves :roll: -- or considering the way some of those things are written, we wouldn't need clarification on some of the rules anyway. :) But it WOULD certainly be helpful when we try to figure out what needs to be brought up at Governing Council each year and how each of those proposed changes would be different from what the current rules are!

doubletoe
08-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Then again, part of being a good competitor is doing your homework, and some of us need to depend on that advantage a little more than others, LOL!