View Full Version : Halloween Classic application is posted!

manleywoman
07-25-2006, 11:21 AM
What are the dates and details of the Halloween Competition outside
Philly? Is there a Masters Ladies category? Is the judging NJS or 6.0? I'm wanting to do this one. Thanks!

NoVa Sk8r
07-25-2006, 11:26 AM
It's slated for Nov. 4-5.
I don't think the announcement is read yet.

Debbie S
07-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Well, I'm not affiliated with the comp or the hosting club, but the announcement will likely be posted soon (I imagine) on the club's website: http://iceworkssc.org/

The dates are already listed: Nov 4-5. That's 2 weeks after the club hosts Regionals - hopefully, they won't be so overwhelmed that HC stuff falls through the cracks - 2 big comps is a lot for a club to handle in a short amount of time.

manleywoman
07-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Perfect! Early November is great for me. Thx guys.

TimDavidSkate
07-25-2006, 12:03 PM
cant wait, i hate this waiting around until competition time ~ im bored 8O

phoenix
07-25-2006, 12:22 PM
cant wait, i hate this waiting around until competition time ~ im bored 8O

If you make the switch to dance, you'll have plenty to do in the summers!! :o

TimDavidSkate
07-25-2006, 12:25 PM
well yes, i have been taking care of learning all the compulsary dances and such, but i still am itching to compete in singles here and there :halo:

Terri C
07-25-2006, 05:56 PM
About a week or two ago, I e-mailed the Halloween Classic (or HC, as some of us call it) to ask if there was a timeline for the announcement to come out. She replied back that she hopes to have the announcement online by August 1.

Skate@Delaware
07-25-2006, 06:11 PM
WOO HOO!!! Gettin' excited already!!!!!

Raye
07-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Me Too!! Cause I'm coming to that one :halo:

2loop2loop
07-26-2006, 02:57 AM
Me too!! (Hopefully - plans aren't finalised, but I'm giving it some serious consideration this year).

John

Mrs Redboots
07-26-2006, 07:34 AM
Now I am jealous!!!!! Ah well.... one of these years.....

2loop2loop
07-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Well since I am imminently about to join the ranks of the employed (gasp!) 8O this is now something I can consider! :D

John

Skate@Delaware
07-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Well since I am imminently about to join the ranks of the employed (gasp!) 8O this is now something I can consider! :D

John
I guess it's like a good news/bad news sort of thing

I just re-read the application for last year's comp and for no-test (which is what level my coach wants me to enter under) my music HAS to be 1:30....DARN! now I gotta re-edit to lose 10 seconds...I'm really getting tired of this piece!

ETA: ooops! I should learn to read! Thought it read "unemployed"....but, in a way it sort of does suck since now you have to punch a clock!!!!

Mrs Redboots
07-27-2006, 08:11 AM

JohnCongratulations! As long as you can take some holiday so early.....

NoVa Sk8r
07-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Oh, great news about your being gainfully employed, John--and even better that it is NOT in a lab!

So back to Halloween:
Are there any pairs teams that are thinking of going?

InsideAxel
07-27-2006, 01:08 PM
So back to Halloween:
Are there any pairs teams that are thinking of going?

mmmmmaybe. :)

Kelton

coskater64
07-30-2006, 11:58 AM
I am hopeful to attend, but my events my be spins with crutches or moves and dance. Of course I could use my crutches as a partner? Actually, in fact I know I'll be off them (crutches) it's just how much strength will I have...isn't that always the question. Nice to see so many people going, I am excited as I had to scratch last year, but I've heard nothing but great things about the competition.
:)

Terri C
08-04-2006, 08:21 AM
About a week or two ago, I e-mailed the Halloween Classic (or HC, as some of us call it) to ask if there was a timeline for the announcement to come out. She replied back that she hopes to have the announcement online by August 1.

Alas, here it is August 4 and no announcement yet.:??

TimDavidSkate
08-04-2006, 09:16 AM
My head is swimming with a lot of things right now, trying to create a program in my head for Halloween..
Question: For the silver level; If I do a comb spin + a flying spin, do I have to do a third solo spin? :halo:

Isk8NYC
08-04-2006, 09:18 AM

JohnCongratulations! Back to the grind, hey?

Skate@Delaware
08-04-2006, 10:30 AM
There is absolutely no way I can re-cut my music to fit 1:30 for no-test..it barely fits at 1:40..I'm going to have to tell my coach I will have to skate say UP to pre-bronze and take my knocks as such (and NO SIT SPIN!!!) or do an artistic interp....whatever...:giveup: just so i can skate this year!!!!

Debbie S
08-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your frustrations, Skate@Del, but I think you'll be fine in Pre-Bronze. Most comps don't have No-Test for adults, so you'll probably have to skate at Pre-Bronze as a No-Test at some point anyway. Look at it as a learning experience and don't worry about your placement - just have fun!

And you don't need a sit spin in Pre-Bronze. Plenty of Pre-Bronze skaters don't do a sit spin in their programs and do just fine - like the woman who won HC last year, and the woman who won Skate Wilmington last weekend. The important thing is to do the spins you can do, well. Both of those skaters I just alluded to do 2 1-foot forward upright spins in their programs - 1 is a scratch, 1 is with the free leg bent and held to the skating knee.

If you don't want to do FS, there's always compulsory moves. Last year, I believe the spin in CM was a 1-foot upright (sk8pics, am I right?) and I think the jumps were waltz and toe loop (or was it waltz and salchow?). And I think there was a spiral required.

sk8pics
08-04-2006, 11:37 AM
I can't really remember last year's compulsory moves detail, but I want to say a plain 1 foot spin was required, and a waltz jump, maybe a salchow and a spiral. Terry, you will be fine. I think from what you've said you belong in the pre-bronze group anyway, so just have fun! Plus, wait and see what the announcement says before you panic. Although I do have to say I recall no-test events usually being shorter than the pre-bronze fs times.

Skate@Delaware
08-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks! I'm whining because my coach put in a darn sitspin in my program last year for our Basic Skills Comp, even though I couldn't do a sit spin to save my life!!! It's really pathetic and sucks big time! I've been working on it all summer (bruises as proof) and no way am I close. I should have spent time on my camel instead.

I have a nice scratch and 1-foot upright and a wicked 2-foot.

No panic. I just don't want to have to re-cut my music...having just spent 3 hours cutting it to include some really neat stuff. I think it sounds really cool. Hmmm, maybe I should put it up and let you guys decide. Maybe I'll do that when I get home (I'm at work right now).

I might do the compulsory events, hubby wants to do the team events if we can get some more people from our rink interested (they say they are then chicken out).

sk8pics
08-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Don't forget, your team members don't all have to be from the same club... just the right test level.

Raye
08-04-2006, 02:30 PM
I am the only one coming from my club. I am up for joining a bronze-level team if anyone wants me.:halo:

Joan
08-05-2006, 06:38 AM
I am the only one coming from my club. I am up for joining a bronze-level team if anyone wants me.:halo:

I'm going to try to be there - I want to be on a bronze team too!

Skate@Delaware
08-05-2006, 10:19 AM
I just went to the Iceworks rink Club site....and this is the message I got:

This domain name expired on 07/30/2006 and is pending renewal or deletion.

Don't know if it's true or if the site was taken down so they could upgrade it.....

I'm just wondering when the comp info is going to be posted....

Terri C
08-05-2006, 10:27 AM

Don't know if it's true or if the site was taken down so they could upgrade it.....

I just went there and got the same ole, same ole, competition dates for this year with last year's results.
I think we're all waiting with bated breath here.

Skate@Delaware
08-05-2006, 07:16 PM
I've uploaded my music to the sk8rland site...and would appreciate any comments as to which you guys prefer. I've labeled them "When You Say You Love Me-(new or old)" in mp3 format. They are both nice, last year for this cut (yay!)

http://tkahline.sk8rland.com/Misc%20Things/

I think the new cut is a smidgen long but I'm not too worried, as long as I stop skating, is that right? :halo:

until the application comes out........

aussieskater
08-06-2006, 01:30 AM
S@D - nice music! I wouldn't be game to skate to that, even though I love it, because it's graceful (which I ain't), and so quiet that you'd hear every toepick...Brass bands for me, and plenty of 'em! (Anything to cover the toepick noises... :oops: )

I have to say I preferred the "old" one as it seemed to have more "texture" (is that the word I'm looking for?) - the "new" one was very much the same right through. Mind you, both were nice :D

Skate@Delaware
08-06-2006, 07:32 AM
S@D - nice music! I wouldn't be game to skate to that, even though I love it, because it's graceful (which I ain't), and so quiet that you'd hear every toepick...Brass bands for me, and plenty of 'em! (Anything to cover the toepick noises... :oops: )

I have to say I preferred the "old" one as it seemed to have more "texture" (is that the word I'm looking for?) - the "new" one was very much the same right through. Mind you, both were nice :D

Well, I wouldn't call myself graceful by any stretch of the imagination, but the old version I used last year, and was called "a very graceful skater" by one of the judges at one of my comps! Go figure!!!

The good thing about quiet music-you are more aware to keep off your toepicks!!! Although in my video (and also according to my coach) it wasn't as bad as what I heard :lol:

I'm torn between the two.....the old version is beautiful while the new is kickier-I've got more footwork in this year's routine and really have to hustle to get my routine finished in time (it moves). Sigh...I hate making decisions....and I'm waiting until I'm a better skater to skate to more rambunctious kick'n music!!! (like that piece from Chess-I love it too!!!)

sk8pics
08-06-2006, 08:12 AM
I think the new cut is a smidgen long but I'm not too worried, as long as I stop skating, is that right? :halo:

Terry, I've never seen anyone stop before their music ends. The thing to do if it's too long, is not start right at the beginning. Stand still and wait until the right beat of the music and then start.

manleywoman
08-06-2006, 04:07 PM

I just got the same today. Really wondering what's going on.

Terri C
08-06-2006, 05:26 PM
I just got the same today. Really wondering what's going on.

Last night, I e-mailed the webmaster to inquire about that, since my coach was looking for information regarding South Atlantic regionals.

Terri C
08-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Tonight I got a reply from the webmaster, thanking me for the heads-up, as they had been on vacation. While the IceWorks website is back up, there is still no HC info.:roll:

Skate@Delaware
08-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Terry, I've never seen anyone stop before their music ends. The thing to do if it's too long, is not start right at the beginning. Stand still and wait until the right beat of the music and then start.
Well, I re-cut my music, so it is exactly 1:40. Don't know if it will pass my coach though (will find out in about 5 weeks when I see her).

Raye
08-08-2006, 08:10 PM
So that's two of us so far... We are now half a Bronze Team. Anyone else ????

Terri C
08-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Yesterday I got a e-mail from Iceworks with the announcement for South Atlantic Non Qual attached. I replied back, stating that I will pass on the information to my club members, but if they could let me know what's going on with the Halloween Classic announcement, I'd have appreciated it.
Still haven't heard a thing and it makes me wonder if HC is getting "lost" in the midst of planning and implementing South Atlantics.

Terri C
08-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Yeah it's me again. Just wanted to apologize for the double post.

flutzilla1
08-11-2006, 11:15 AM

I would love to do the team event, but I'm also not sure if I will be able to go or not -- I would like to, but new boots coming in next week along with a possible blade size change might prevent me from going. What elements do the bronze teams do?

Joan
08-14-2006, 12:34 PM
I would love to do the team event, but I'm also not sure if I will be able to go or not -- I would like to, but new boots coming in next week along with a possible blade size change might prevent me from going. What elements do the bronze teams do?

Here is the description, from the Peach Classic announcement. I'm not certain Holloween Classic will have the same elements, though.

"Bronze — Passed no higher than Preliminary or Bronze FS Test
1. Waltz/toe loop jump
2. Any single/single combination jump
3. Spiral (forward and backward)
4. One-foot spin (any position or direction)
5. Sit-spin (min 3 revs)"

sk8pics
08-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Here is the description, from the Peach Classic announcement. I'm not certain Holloween Classic will have the same elements, though.

It's far more likely that they will have the same elements as last year than for them to converse with another organizing committee of a completely different competition. But you really can't make any assumptions. There are no official requirements for this type of event so the LOC can do what they please.

Best thing to do is just wait for the announcement, which will hopefully be forthcoming soon.

LoopLoop
08-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Best thing to do is just wait for the announcement, which will hopefully be forthcoming soon.
I just got an email from the competition chair, and I quote "We are finalizing the application this week and are aiming to have it posted this weekend or early next week."

Debbie S
08-16-2006, 11:42 AM
"We are finalizing the application this week and are aiming to have it posted this weekend or early next week."Meaning it will be posted sometime around Labor Day? :lol:

Seriously, thanks Loops, for the information. :) I just hope that they changed the elements on the Bronze CM - the past couple of years, I remember them having a circular footwork sequence, which kept me from doing it - hey, I have enough problems trying to master the footwork sequence in my program, I don't think I could handle an additional one - lol. Given my success with CM at Wilmington, I think I should try another CM event! :)

Terri C
08-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Meaning it will be posted sometime around Labor Day? :lol:

Seriously, thanks Loops, for the information. :) I just hope that they changed the elements on the Bronze CM - the past couple of years, I remember them having a circular footwork sequence, which kept me from doing it - hey, I have enough problems trying to master the footwork sequence in my program, I don't think I could handle an additional one - lol. Given my success with CM at Wilmington, I think I should try another CM event! :)

Loops, thanks for getting the scoop!
Debbie, you could do the 8 step mohawk from the Silver moves, since you have to work on it anyway! I have ( well you've seen) a variation of that in my program.

Debbie S
08-21-2006, 09:33 PM
It's posted. It open in a window so there's no direct link - go to the HC page at http://iceworkssc.org/

Interesting note: at the bottom of the page listing the FS events, there is a note that the comp is being conducted according to the 06-07 WBP rules. Oh really? Then why are they only allowing 3 jump elements in Pre-Bronze? :roll:

If I compete at this comp, I'll be skating Bronze, regardless of my test status, but I find this deviation in rules irritating. What it will do is force most Pre-Bronze skaters to either radically change the choreo in their programs or skate up to Bronze, where they may not be competitive, which would discourage them from competing. Great idea. :roll:

And the first event fee has increased from $65 to $70. :twisted:

NoVa Sk8r
08-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Same thing with gold pairs: The WBP requiremnts changed the max time to 3:40. Here, it says music may not exceed 3:10. Huh? Maybe they just cut and pasted the wording from last year. :?:

sk8pics
08-22-2006, 05:48 AM
Obviously they made a mistake with the pre-bronze free skating elements, or they decided to make that change themselves. Unfortunately (IMO anyway) clubs can do what they want in terms of requirements for programs in local club competitions.

Actually, I'm kinda happy about these rules, because I can just take out a waltz jump at the beginning pretty easily, and I only had 2 spins anyway. So for me, it's a minor change. But I realize it will be more difficult for some people.

Terri C
08-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Just printed out the announcement and will have the "To Skate Up or Not " talk with secondary coach this afternoon- primary coach is out of town.
At least I have until September 30 to decide.

Skate@Delaware
08-22-2006, 08:58 AM
All I get is the page with the logo and the dates, with the link to last year's results. I am at work so maybe the firewall is blocking something.....I'll have to check it when I get home.

ETA: my IT guy fixed it....now I've downloaded it and printed it out....I guess I'll skate pre-bronze because of the time (I'd rather do 1:40 than 1:30).

phillyskater
08-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've posted, so I hope you're all doing well and training hard.

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Halloween Classic application has been posted on our website: http://www.iceworkssc.org/. If you are having trouble finding the application on the Halloween Classic page, try refreshing your browser when you get to that page - it worked for me.

There is also a form posted there to see if there is enough interest for us to host a test session in conjunction with the competition. If you are even remotely interested in a test, I would encourage you to fill out the form and send it in. It also asks when you would prefer the test to be scheduled. That way we can measure whether there is sufficient interest to plan a test, and when to hold it to best accommodate the most people. You are not committed in any way to test if you send in the form indicating your interest.

If there are any questions about the event, you can post them here and I will try my best to respond to everyone. Or you can contact me directly at: iceworkshalloweenclassic@iceworkssc.org.

I hope to see everyone in November!

phillyskater

phillyskater
08-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Same thing with gold pairs: The WBP requiremnts changed the max time to 3:40. Here, it says music may not exceed 3:10.

Thanks for catching that - it was a mistake in the application and has been corrected. :oops: A revised application is being posted on the website ASAP. So just to clarify, the Gold Pairs event will have a maximum time limit of 3:40, not 3:10. (Incidentally, the same thing happened with the Masters free skating event - that time limit has been corrected from 4:10 to 3:40).

Let me know if there are any questions. Thanks!

phillyskater

Isk8NYC
08-22-2006, 04:12 PM
I merged the two threads together, but I accidentally changed the original title. Sorry! :oops:

Terri C
08-22-2006, 05:58 PM
There is also a form posted there to see if there is enough interest for us to host a test session in conjunction with the competition. If you are even remotely interested in a test, I would encourage you to fill out the form and send it in. It also asks when you would prefer the test to be scheduled. That way we can measure whether there is sufficient interest to plan a test, and when to hold it to best accommodate the most people. You are not committed in any way to test if you send in the form indicating your interest.

Test session, did you say test session???:o
I can't locate the form, but this is one skater interested in testing Bronze moves!!!:D
ETA: Found the form and will print out and mail tomorrow! Doh!

phillyskater
08-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Test session, did you say test session???:o
I can't locate the form, but this is one skater interested in testing Bronze moves!!!:D

If you go to the Halloween Classic page on the website and keep scrolling down, you should locate the "test survey" form below the application. If you don't see it, try refreshing the page in your browser.

Hope that helps!

phillyskater

sk8pics
08-23-2006, 05:46 AM
philly-
What about the restrictions on the pre-bronze free skating event? Meaning, only 3 jumping passes. The WBP requirements for pre-bronze did not change in the rulebook. Just wondering.

LWalsh
08-23-2006, 07:33 AM
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone recall which day they hold the Ladies Silver III FS event typically? My husband is running the NY Marathon that Sunday so I can only skate on Saturday. I know schedules can change, but I'd risk it if I knew that the event has historically been on Saturday.

Lara

phillyskater
08-23-2006, 09:54 AM
philly-
What about the restrictions on the pre-bronze free skating event? Meaning, only 3 jumping passes. The WBP requirements for pre-bronze did not change in the rulebook. Just wondering.

The Committee decided to follow what other Adult competitions (i.e. the Peach Classic) were doing with respect to Pre-Bronze freeskating. It was decided for consistency that Pre-Bronze should be subject to the same types of limits now imposed on every other level.

phillyskater

phillyskater
08-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone recall which day they hold the Ladies Silver III FS event typically? My husband is running the NY Marathon that Sunday so I can only skate on Saturday. I know schedules can change, but I'd risk it if I knew that the event has historically been on Saturday.

Lara

We try to schedule as many events as possible on Saturday, especially the freeskating events. Although scheduling is ultimately up to the referee, she usually does it this way, especially with the higher level freeskating events since Saturday is when most of the qualified judges are available.

Hope that helps!

phillyskater

Debbie S
08-23-2006, 10:48 AM
The Committee decided to follow what other Adult competitions (i.e. the Peach Classic) were doing with respect to Pre-Bronze freeskating. Well, Peach is the first adult comp conducted under the new rules, so "other adult competitions" is kind of a limited comparison group.

It was decided for consistency that Pre-Bronze should be subject to the same types of limits now imposed on every other level. I agree with you on this, but I think the step to achieving that is to bring up the discrepancy to the adult committee and have changes enacted at Governing Council and become the "law of the land", so to speak. I don't think it's right for competitions to disregard USFSA rules and make up their own. Conscientious adult skaters and their coaches will likely look at the rulebook when choreographing their programs, and to deviate from that (and expect them to change their programs for a specific comp) is wrong, IMO. I know that competitions committees are allowed to do this, but that doesn't mean that they should. JMO.

Debbie S
08-23-2006, 10:56 AM
We try to schedule as many events as possible on Saturday, especially the freeskating events. Although scheduling is ultimately up to the referee, she usually does it this way, especially with the higher level freeskating events since Saturday is when most of the qualified judges are available. Hmmm, last year, IIRC, all the FS events were on Sunday, and the other events (CM, Spins, MIF, team, etc) were on Saturday. So is the schedule going to flip-flop this year? Personally, I think that FS and Interp events should be the first day and the other events on the second - I know that the actual schedule won't be known until the ref makes it up, but if you have a basic idea of what days events will be on, it would be great if you could let us know.

I am considering an MIF event, but I remember last year, they were first thing Sat morning, and there was no way I would have been able to get there for it and be in any condition to skate. If MIF is going to be on Sunday this year, that would work out well for me, as I'd just stay over Sat night.

Terri C
08-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Well, Peach is the first adult comp conducted under the new rules, so "other adult competitions" is kind of a limited comparison group.

I agree with you on this, but I think the step to achieving that is to bring up the discrepancy to the adult committee and have changes enacted at Governing Council and become the "law of the land", so to speak. I don't think it's right for competitions to disregard USFSA rules and make up their own. Conscientious adult skaters and their coaches will likely look at the rulebook when choreographing their programs, and to deviate from that (and expect them to change their programs for a specific comp) is wrong, IMO. I know that competitions committees are allowed to do this, but that doesn't mean that they should. JMO.

BTW, the Buckeye Open in Cincinnati in October is not implementing these jump limits on Pre Bronze. With the LOC inflicted program limits, Pre Bronze skaters are given three options
A: Change your program drastically (add a new jump combo) or water it down.
B. Skate up to Bronze and get killed.
C. Stay home.

phillyskater
08-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Hmmm, last year, IIRC, all the FS events were on Sunday, and the other events (CM, Spins, MIF, team, etc) were on Saturday. So is the schedule going to flip-flop this year? Personally, I think that FS and Interp events should be the first day and the other events on the second - I know that the actual schedule won't be known until the ref makes it up, but if you have a basic idea of what days events will be on, it would be great if you could let us know.

Unfortunately, the competition organizers have no control over the scheduling once the ice time is determined. Those decisions are entirely in the discretion of the chief referee. I can forward scheduling requests from competitors after the close of entries, but of course there is no way to accommodate everyone.

Skate@Delaware
08-23-2006, 06:42 PM
philly-
AAARRRGGGHH!!! I think I have too many jumps now I have to take it out (I'm skating up to pre-bronze).....or do something...(I've got 3 singles and one combo). Footwork is good. Spin-wise I'm ok but I'm not going to do the sit spin (major issues with that). Do the spins have to be different?

sk8pics
08-23-2006, 06:50 PM
I had to take out a jumping pass, too, and my coach did it tonight. And yes, normally the spins should be different. But it's a max of two, so you could just do one. As for me, I will have a hail-Mary-type of backspin attempt at the end of my program.8O

Terri C
08-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Right now (primary coach is on vacation this week and next Monday it may change), there will be no loop to worry about in the program, with one combo, one combo/jump sequence and one jump alone. I will open with backscratch and close with sitspin coming out of circular footwork. Yes I have my straightline foot work!

mikawendy
08-23-2006, 07:59 PM

I'm also up for being on a bronze level team. I can volunteer for spiral or sit spin (most reliable of all of the elements listed for me). I definitely do NOT volunteer for the waltz toe as it alternates being semi-respectable and totally wussy.....:lol:

Skate@Delaware
08-24-2006, 06:53 AM
Hubby wants to do the manuever team thing (strictly pre-bronze)....he wants to do the one-foot spin. He can sometimes squeak out 3-4 revolutions :roll: but he wants to go just for the fun of it only :bow: !!!!!!

I'm seeing if anyone from our rink wants to join in. They talked about wanting to last year.

sk8pics
08-24-2006, 08:21 AM
Just wanted to point out that you can have pre-bronze and bronze skaters on the same team.

Phillyskater-- I know you personally don't have control over this, but can you ask the schedulers/referee to please not forget about ice cuts? Last year the ice was horrendous for my compulsory moves event. It had been several hours since a cut and really needed it.

Raye
08-24-2006, 04:04 PM
I'm also up for being on a bronze level team. I can volunteer for spiral or sit spin (most reliable of all of the elements listed for me). I definitely do NOT volunteer for the waltz toe as it alternates being semi-respectable and totally wussy.....:lol:

I see on the announcement that the teams are to be a minimum of three persons and a maximum of 5. Would you, me and Joan like to be the beginnings of a team? I can do the waltz-toe, and for a single-single combination, I can do a Salchow/Toe loop, unless one of us can do a better Single/Single combo - Joan I seem to recall you having some good jump combos at Peach last year......

Skate@ Delaware, you and your hubby can be four and five....

So ladies, How about it?

Skate@Delaware
08-24-2006, 04:33 PM
I see on the announcement that the teams are to be a minimum of three persons and a maximum of 5. Would you, me and Joan like to be the beginnings of a team? I can do the waltz-toe, and for a single-single combination, I can do a Salchow/Toe loop, unless one of us can do a better Single/Single combo - Joan I seem to recall you having some good jump combos at Peach last year......

So ladies, How about it?
I'm up for it; either doing the sal-toe or spiral sequence-rusty but can be worked on (guess I'd better because it's in my current program 8O), but not the sit spin cause that has not happened yet in any recognizable form and hubby can one-foot spin if that's ok. Let me know.

ps-This will be his first competition/performance. I am sure he will drive me nuts! (short drive actually)

Joan
08-25-2006, 08:19 AM

So ladies, How about it?

Sounds like a plan. My best executed jump combo is loop-loop. I can also do a flip-toe loop or flip-loop pretty consistently, and a lutz-toe loop not so consistently.

Now we need a team name!

Raye
08-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Sounds like a plan. My best executed jump combo is loop-loop. I can also do a flip-toe loop or flip-loop pretty consistently, and a lutz-toe loop not so consistently.

Now we need a team name!

COOL... I heard from Skate@Delaware and Hubby. Your Loop-Loop or Flip-Loop trumps anything we can do... Now we just need Mikawendy to check in.....

mdvask8r
08-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Hi -- So happy you all have found each other for your team event. I don't mean to be a grouch, but how about completing your plans by private email. Have a great time at HC!! It's a fun event.

Terri C
08-27-2006, 08:27 AM
What it will do is force most Pre-Bronze skaters to either radically change the choreo in their programs or skate up to Bronze, where they may not be competitive, which would discourage them from competing. Great idea. :roll:

Right now, I may be staying home for the above reasons that Debbie posted. I've been doing my freestyle program with the imposed limits and those LOC imposed WBP requirements have left two big holes in my program where I just stand there!!
It also gives me additional time to work on moving up to Bronze.

I sincerely hope that LOC's of other Adult Competitions (NYI, Wyandotte, Non Qual Sectionals, etc) are taking note of this!!

Skate@Delaware
08-28-2006, 10:19 AM
I meet with my coach next week and the first thing we will discuss will be my routine and this competition. Maybe a little tweaking and it will be fine. I can see taking out one jump with no problem and substituting a spin for one I can actually do :lol: .

Looking forward to it!!! So excited! Now I just have to decide on WHICH dress to wear....

Raye
09-08-2006, 02:30 AM
Dig dig, bump bump bump....

Entry closing date is getting closer and will be here before you know it! Especially with all that goes on in September, things could get lost in the shuffle.

I put my paperwork in the post today and have purchased my plane ticket to Philly - so who else has decided to go? And is anyone on the fence, just needing a leeeetle teeeeeny push? (push push, you'll be glad you went! my 2cents:halo: )

jazzpants
09-08-2006, 02:46 AM
Enjoy HC, Raye! We'll miss you this year at Skate SF, though... :( Still doing the Kitty number??? MEOW!!!

Raye
09-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Hi Jazz. Will miss you too.... Yes, Kitty is going to HC!! She did NOT want to be retired yet. Meow

Terri C
09-11-2006, 04:19 AM
And is anyone on the fence, just needing a leeeetle teeeeeny push? (push push, you'll be glad you went! my 2cents:halo: )

My mind is made up. Until the LOC's stop implementing their version of a WBP for Pre Bronze freeskate, this is one skater who will stay at home. Makes me feel as if I'm being told to shut up and move to Bronze already!:roll:

Skate@Delaware
09-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Well, coach and I talked a bit about it (enter as no-test or skate up to pre-bronze) and right now we are undecided. We still have some time for me to "kick the tires" of my routine so to speak...I have both time versions of my program so that's no big deal...just wait and see I guess. I'm ok with either option.

skaternum
09-11-2006, 12:29 PM
My mind is made up. Until the LOC's stop implementing their version of a WBP for Pre Bronze freeskate, this is one skater who will stay at home. Makes me feel as if I'm being told to shut up and move to Bronze already!:roll:I appreciate the problem of having your WBP stuff in flux, but I think you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. View each competition as a chance to present your program, rather than a "competition." Take the program you're going to use all year and use every competition as an opportunity to get comfortable with it. That's what David & I have to do with our Gold pairs programs. Shoot, we can't even DO some of the stuff in the WBP for Gold pairs. We just choreograph a program that works for us, includes as many of the elements as we can, and Just Do It (tm). We're not worried about losing points because we didn't do this element or that element. We're just happy to get a chance to do a program in front of judges and spectators and to try to get over the nerves.

Skate@Delaware
09-11-2006, 02:46 PM
I'll second what Skaternum says...I view each competition as a chance to "solo" my program in front of an audience. I never get a solo in a show so I figure that this is my chance. Each time you skate in front of an audience, you gain experience which helps you to better deal with the jitters and nerves.

My coach doesn't like doing major changes to a program just before a competition but minor minor changes (jump/spin substitutions) are no problem. We do this in shows also, sometimes choreography is changed during dress rehearsal 8O

flo
09-11-2006, 03:02 PM
All the changes in rules are a swift pain, and it's not over yet. If you want to get out there for the experience, the Hallowen event is lots of fun. But if you have other opportunities for this and without the headache of changing your program, go for it. I don't pay much attention to the points, and my coach none, but he's always choreographed well balanced programs. Like skate@del said, if it's a minor change, no biggie, but I don't think I'd do any major ones for one regional event, and for me I can see not wanting to compete in an event where I'd be starting off with program problems.

Terri C
09-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, but I have my second round with Bronze moves on December 8 and will stay at home to prepare for that, as well as do major technical catch up on freestyle (my left thigh is a little sore from working on sit change sit)

sk8pics
09-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I, too, find it annoying with all the changes in program rules from competition to competition. But I have done just what skaternum suggests, when I went to Oberstdorf last year, I just did what I could sort of do, and oh well if it didn't meet the requirements. I wouldn't like to do that every time, but sometimes it's worth it.

But Terri, I think staying home to work on your moves is a perfectly valid reason for not coming. Not that you need a reason, but it certainly makes sense. The only thing you might gain is a chance to do the bronze moves event at that competition, but that's a long way for you to travel just for that.

I only had to make a small change in my new free skating program as a result of the rule changes. Not that I can skate it yet, so it didn't much matter, LOL!

TimDavidSkate
09-11-2006, 07:00 PM
See you guys there ~ with the rest of the silver men ;)

coskater64
09-12-2006, 11:23 AM
If it makes you feel any better you are not alone, look at all the posts, the new rules for me require a max 3.40 program, I did 3.10 last year and 2.40 the year before that. I will go ahead and do the 3.10 program if I can even manage that since i have been off the ice for 2-3 months. It's a learning experience, I can't really compete against the others so soon after my surgery but I'll go out and do my best regardless.:)

Mrs Redboots
09-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I, too, find it annoying with all the changes in program rules from competition to competition. But I have done just what skaternum suggests, when I went to Oberstdorf last year, I just did what I could sort of do, and oh well if it didn't meet the requirements. I wouldn't like to do that every time, but sometimes it's worth it.You did extremely well, I thought - you weren't the worst, either.

And you were a lot braver than me; I could have put a tiny free programme together and had a go, and would probably have finished behind you and the other skaters who were around that sort of level, but I funked it! And you won't see me doing it next year, either, even though the Husband probably will compete in Bronze Men III.

sk8pics
09-12-2006, 12:10 PM
You did extremely well, I thought - you weren't the worst, either.

And you were a lot braver than me; I could have put a tiny free programme together and had a go, and would probably have finished behind you and the other skaters who were around that sort of level, but I funked it!

Aw, thank you so much. 8-) I was very proud of myself for doing that, and for me, the even bigger deal was running my program by myself on crowded practice ice without knowing any of the other skaters. My coach was proud of me, too; he got reports from others as well as my own report. So it was all around a great experience for me, and I was so overwhelmed that people actually threw stuff to me, including you!:bow: I had never experienced that before! I may go back next year to Oberstdorf, but I haven't made up my mind.

starskate6.0
09-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Hi gang...

Its been a while . Iv been of the ice a long time because of my situation . :??
But ... Ill be skating the Halloween event again , at least it will be at my home rink and I can help out to run the show as well. The new Freestyle is not finished but I guess I can just make something up as I go along so long as you all laugh and applaud. :lol: it will be fun.. Won't have time to skate much before the event this year , to many other life issues .. :?? . But skating always brings out the best in me.. Ill see you all there...... and if you have any questions or I can help you out at the competition at all just hunt me down and Ill be happy to help you as an ICEWORKS Club Member.... :)

Ross

MusicSkateFan
09-20-2006, 06:45 AM
Well I am not entering this year.....I may still come up and watch and then spend some time with friends in Philly.

I still have not started jumping yet after the knee surgery in June. I am getting stronger and the moves and spins are really coming along. I have a final follow up appt with my Dr. soon so I will know If I can begin jumping again.

I had thought of trying to take my silver moves test at the event but I dont even want to put that kind of pressure on myself right now. It has been great to skate 4 times a week and not feel the pressure of having any tests or competitions coming up!

Maybe the New Years competition?

2loop2loop
09-21-2006, 02:38 PM
I'm going, booked my flights today! Woohoo!

My first long-haul competition :)

John

Debbie S
09-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Form went in the mail today. I think this is my record for advance time (9 days!) in submitting a comp entry form - lol. I'm doing Bronze FS - preparing to finish last - oh well - it's all about the people and the experience, right?

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

manleywoman
09-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Sent mine in too for Masters Ladies . . . I think there will be at least three of us. I'll be just coming off a 2-week vacation, so I expect to suck, but I have a new three-month-old niece in the area, so it's really an excuse to see her.

Skate@Delaware
09-21-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm entering as "no-test" which still makes me a bit nervous, but what they hey....I'm trying to get my form signed by my club; they are new at this. I should have it in the mail next week!!!! Yay!!!!

Raye
09-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Form went in the mail today. I think this is my record for advance time (9 days!) in submitting a comp entry form - lol. I'm doing Bronze FS - preparing to finish last - oh well - it's all about the people and the experience, right?

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

I'm in Bronze ladies too - and equally prepared to fininsh last...... :halo:

Skate@Delaware
09-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Like I said before...I don't care how I finish (I don't care if you watch or not, I'm sorry the judges have to sometimes my skating is soooo bad).

I just wanna have fun, skate well and have my moment in the spotlight. I figure, every moment I get solo prepares me for skating in shows, and every show I do prepares me to skate in competitions. It's fun, a hoot, and the company can't be beat!!! I'll skate as long as I can and when I can no longer skate, I will sew skating stuff so there!!!

(still hoping for that snowflake part in my rink's production of Nutcracker.....)

flo
09-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Best of luck to all! I won't be there, but celebrating my friend's 50th birthday.
Have fun.

phillyskater
09-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Hi everyone! Just a friendly reminder that applications need to be postmarked by this Saturday (Sept. 30). We may be able to accept late entries, but they need to include a $25 late fee. It looks like we're going to have a great turnout again this year, so everyone get to the mailbox and send your applications in today! ;)

Looking forward to seeing you all,
philly

TimDavidSkate
09-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Im trying to remember if the Gold and Silver events were scheduled on a Sunday... is it? :halo:

phillyskater
09-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Im trying to remember if the Gold and Silver events were scheduled on a Sunday... is it? :halo:

Unfortunately we as the host club are not responsible for setting the schedule of events. That is handled by the chief referee, a U.S. Figure Skating official. So I don't have any information about when specific events will be held (although I really wish I did!)

Sorry I can't be more help on that....

philly

TimDavidSkate
10-04-2006, 08:20 AM
Are there hotels near the rink? I didnt notice, I was too busy getting my head together. I'm planning on getting there on Saturday

Skate@Delaware
10-04-2006, 08:31 AM
There are hotels listed on the very front page of their website scroll down a bit, on the right side it says "where to stay":

http://www.iceworks.net/

I don't know if they give special rates because of the competition, never hurts to ask!!!

TimDavidSkate
10-04-2006, 08:38 AM
There are hotels listed on the very front page of their website scroll down a bit, on the right side it says "where to stay":

http://www.iceworks.net/

I don't know if they give special rates because of the competition, never hurts to ask!!!

Thanks :halo: , as long as Im near the arena, I'll have the peace of mind :D

Skate@Delaware
10-04-2006, 08:46 AM
I know what you mean! Depending on how early we end up skating....we may end up getting a hotel room ourselves. Although we don't live that far away, I hate having to get up early and scrambling!!!! Plus, if they have a hot tub.....that's a bonus!

Raye
10-04-2006, 11:58 AM
There's a hot tub at the hotel I have booked (Days Inn, I think), which according to MapQuest is only three or four miles from the rink...

TimDavidSkate
10-04-2006, 12:06 PM
There's a hot tub at the hotel I have booked (Days Inn, I think), which according to MapQuest is only three or four miles from the rink...

Oh youre staying at that hotel that is only 7minutes away. Im planning on staying there as well :halo:

Isk8NYC
10-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Wasn't there some debate about hot tubs BEFORE skating?

TimDavidSkate
10-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Wasn't there some debate about hot tubs BEFORE skating?

I would do it after, I dont want to get all wobbly or dehydrated before I skate

jazzpants
10-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Wasn't there some debate about hot tubs BEFORE skating?I thought it was swimming and yes, definitely you don't want to go into either a hot tub or go swimming right before going skating. Not recommended.

Of course, definitely go AFTERWARDS! You've earned it!!! 8-) (Why did I know that Raye's gonna look for hotels with hot tubs...tee hee hee...) :P :lol:

Skate@Delaware
10-04-2006, 02:45 PM
I thought it was swimming and yes, definitely you don't want to go into either a hot tub or go swimming right before going skating. Not recommended.

Of course, definitely go AFTERWARDS! You've earned it!!! 8-) (Why did I know that Raye's gonna look for hotels with hot tubs...tee hee hee...) :P :lol:

That's the plan!!!!!! I have a whirlpool tub now and that's what I do after a hard skate and it feels wonderful!

TimDavidSkate
10-04-2006, 02:53 PM
I thought it was swimming and yes, definitely you don't want to go into either a hot tub or go swimming right before going skating. Not recommended.

I made a mistake on going swimming a day before my skate at sectionals. My ears got clogged on one side. Thankfully my adrenaline made me not notice it, but it was clogged for at least a week. So since then I made it a rule for myself not to do anything before I skate my competition, just rink - eat - go to my room and hang out there and sleep. I dont go sight seeing either. :halo:

Skate@Delaware
10-04-2006, 02:57 PM
TimDavid,
I saw your siggy....

"Deciding on which piece to skate to for Halloween '06, Tosca? or Malaguena?"

I've already given my music to my coach for her to cut for next year (2007)...I'm getting TIRED of my music already....

TimDavidSkate
10-04-2006, 03:27 PM
TimDavid,
I saw your siggy....

"Deciding on which piece to skate to for Halloween '06, Tosca? or Malaguena?"

I've already given my music to my coach for her to cut for next year (2007)...I'm getting TIRED of my music already....

Oh my, wow youre advanced... I try to work on it the week before so its still fresh... what are you skating to this season and the next?

Skate@Delaware
10-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Oh my, wow youre advanced... I try to work on it the week before so its still fresh... what are you skating to this season and the next?
This season (same as last year) is the instrumental version of Josh Groban's When You Say You Love Me (actually a karaoke piece but NO background vocals AT ALL!!!).

Next year is the instrumental of Rihanna's Unfaithful. I LOVE the music (can't stand her voice :roll: too nasal in this song although I love SOS). I figure I can milk it for 2 years. Coach is cutting it to 1:30 so we can use it for my ISI comps as well (we're limited to 1:30).

TimDavidSkate
10-05-2006, 08:04 AM
:D http://timdavid.org/Halloween05Gold.jpg

jazzpants
10-05-2006, 01:09 PM
:D http://timdavid.org/Halloween05Gold.jpg
Sorta off-topic...this particular medal is probably one of the more interesting designs for a skating medal. Is this the typical medal shape that they give out at every Halloween Classics or just for that particular year?

Good luck to all you guys competing at Halloween Classic. No, I won't be there (not that I'm ever there anyway) but this year I'm not even competing so... :P

TimDavidSkate
10-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Sorta off-topic...this particular medal is probably one of the more interesting designs for a skating medal. Is this the typical medal shape that they give out at every Halloween Classics or just for that particular year?

Good luck to all you guys competing at Halloween Classic. No, I won't be there (not that I'm ever there anyway) but this year I'm not even competing so... :P

Im not sure if its the same one every year, but that was last year's

Skate@Delaware
10-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Im not sure if its the same one every year, but that was last year's
Cool!

Have you decided on your music yet????

TimDavidSkate
10-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Cool!
Have you decided on your music yet????

Not yet, I may chose either Malaguena or Tosca, or something else, I wont know until the week of Halloween :halo: It all depends on how I feel that week

Raye
10-06-2006, 01:03 PM
What a cool medal!! I hope they are the same this year. (not that I am likely to bring one home or anything, but......)

TimDavidSkate
10-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Cool! Have you decided on your music yet????

TOSCA :halo:

Skate@Delaware
10-07-2006, 08:59 PM
TOSCA :halo:

Yay!!! Can't wait to hear your cut!!!

I can't imagine waiting until "the last moment" to decide....I need TONS of time and LOTS of preparation. Of course, that means after a year or two...I'm sick of my music. But, you are higher level than I am so you don't need as much preparation as I do.

That gives me hope that it does get better (I'd love to be able to "just skate" to something I'm hearing at the rink-sort of flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants type of skating).

Raye
10-13-2006, 05:17 PM
Bumping this up... 3 weeks to go and getting excited!!!!:halo:

manleywoman
10-13-2006, 06:02 PM
I have low expectations. I'm woefully out of shape due to an insane and obscene work schedule, and can only on good days get through the whole program. But I;m leaving for a 10-day vacation next week (yay!) that was postponed already due to the work overload. So I will be off the ice for 10 days, but reaaaaallllllyyy need the vacation after this project. So once I get back, I only have 4 days to get back in shape before the competition! I'm going to SUCK!!!!! But it's okay. It's just a warm-up, and it's really an excuse to visit my family who live nearby since I haven't seen them in a while.

So if you see a Masters Lady doing only singles in her program and breathing heavily, it's probably me.

Skate@Delaware
10-13-2006, 09:34 PM
I only do the best I can do...right now I'm not feeling all that great :( ...just recovering from whacking my head on the ice, labrynthitis which is causing me lightheadedness and dizziness, a knee that's acting up from a stupid twist on a sour salchow, and today I slightly pulled my hip flexor.....good way to start the season, huh? Or is it the mid-40's that's finally catching up to me?

I'm not sure, yet.....:giveup: maybe I need a vacation too!!!

Debbie S
10-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Another member of the I'm-going-to-suck contingent chiming in here. I have yet to land the flip on program pattern (after my footwork), my loop has gotten very unsteady lately (not that it was ever that consistent) b/c my coach is having me rework my technique for that jump and it's having adjustment issues, and I fell on 3 of 4 change sit attempts last night, including in my run-through. Yikes. At least my coach couldn't say I was afraid to fall - lol.

And now my salchow is having difficulty. But I never expected much from this comp - my first one in (officially) Bronze. I'm just doing it to see everyone and to have a chance to try some new things in my program.

Sk8pdx
10-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Obviously I am too far away to attend HC (...why does it seem all the fun stuff happens on the east coast?:?? ), but since there are so many of you who have set your minds into thinking they are the best ones who suck skating (Manleywoman, S@D, Debbie S, .... others... I wonder if there is a place on the podium for that? I can imagine the scene going like this (the announcer calling out with a drum roll in the background going.... and the award for the suck-iest skater goes to ...LOL:P

I can't wait to hear the results on this one. As I will be keeping track, I'm certain the results will fair out better than you all think. (you guys are lucky I don't live on the east coast. or I'd give you a run for your money at who totally sucks the best! he he he). I hope you all will skate your best and good luck!:bow:

~sk8pdx.

badaxel
10-14-2006, 10:10 AM
oh, oh, I could win the "I suck" medal! I have yet to even make it thorugh my program, and, let's not even discuss the axel... Anyway, does anyone know the schedule or anything? I want to get in on the hot tub hotel, but I don't even know which day I'm skating yet. I checked the website, but they don't have anything, that I could find, anyway. I would appreciate any help!
Chris

coskater64
10-14-2006, 10:18 AM
Well, I already know that I'll withdraw from my Master's FS, I will not be allowed to jump until December at the earliest, but I have 3 other events which I hope to do depending on about a billion variables.

:D

starskate6.0
10-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Hi everyone

Well Im pulling out of Halloween AGAIN.:( On the up side I have been in Germany the last two weeks looking into work all over the World and found a lot of good information. However while I was away USA3000 called and I have a job the Airbus A320 starting training for the aircraft on October 30th . I won't be back in town again till late December. My skating has been a real bust this year but at least I now have a job for a while..Its only for 6 months... I quess Adult Nationals for mext year will also be a bust for me but maybe Oberstdorf..

Best of Luck all. Its my home club and Ill miss you all.

Ross

Skate@Delaware
10-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Ross, Congrats on getting a job! We know once things have settled down with that you will get back to the ice.

TimDavidSkate
10-15-2006, 08:34 PM
tick * tock * tick * tock :mrgreen: cant wait

flo
10-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Ross, congrats!!

jazzpants
10-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Ross: congrats on the job! Yeah, it's six months but it's better than nothing... (and can buy you more time... both to look for something more permanent and ICE TIME...) ;)

starskate6.0
10-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks everyone...;)

Its been a real battle for me this year..Iv had ice time avalable to me but Iv been to busy looking for another job and trying to make ends meet in the mean time to use it.. :roll: I look forward to skating a little before I leave. Ill be up in Eagan MN for the training for 6 weeks on the aircraft..

Maybe Ill see you all in Oberstdorf... It looks like no nationals again for me.

:mrgreen: Ross

phillyskater
10-23-2006, 08:28 AM
Hi guys. I just received the tentative schedule from the referee (and of course I posted it here first! :D ) It will be available on the website soon too. Please note that there may be some changes based on adds/scratches, so please continue to check periodically. Also, if you don't see your event listed here, there may have been only one entry. Certain single-entry events will be offered critiques. I will contact each affected skater independently in those circumstances. Practice ice forms will be mailed shortly. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

philly

2006 Halloween Classic Tentative Schedule
Saturday, November 4, 2006

Start Time End Time Event Comments
8:00 AM 8:20 AM Prelimary Solo Dance
8:20 AM 8:40 AM Silver Solo Dance
8:40 AM 9:00 AM PreGold Solo Dance
9:00 AM 9:20 AM PreBronze MIF - all
9:20 AM 9:35 AM Bronze Moves in the Field - all
9:35 AM 9:55 AM Silver Moves in the Field - I,II & III
9:55 AM 10:10 AM Silver Moves in the Field - IV & V
10:10 AM 10:25 AM Gold Moves in the Field - all
10:25 AM 10:40 AM Masters Moves in the Field - all
10:40 AM 10:55 AM Junior/Senior Moves in the Field – all
10:55 AM 11:10 AM Resurface
11:10 AM 11:25 AM PreBronze Spins – all Lobby end
11:10 AM 11:25 AM Bronze Spins - I & II Zamboni End
11:25 AM 11:45 AM Bronze Spins - III & IV Lobby end
11:25 AM 11:45 AM Silver Spins – IV Zamboni End
11:45 AM 12:00 PM Silver Spins - I & II Lobby end
11:45 AM 12:00 PM Silver Spins – III Zamboni End
12:00 PM 12:20 PM Gold/Masters Spins - I & II Lobby end
12:00 PM 12:20 PM Gold Masters Spins - III & IV Zamboni End
12:20 PM 12:35 PM PreBronze Comp Moves – III & IV Lobby end
12:20 PM 12:35 PM PreBronze Comp Moves - V Zamboni End
12:35 PM 12:50 PM Bronze Compulsory Moves – II & III Lobby end
12:35 PM 12:50 PM Bronze Compulsory Moves - IV Zamboni End
12:50 PM 1:10 PM Silver Compulsory Moves - I & II Lobby end
12:50 PM 1:10 PM Silver Compulsory Moves – III Zamboni End
1:10 PM 1:25 PM Silver Compulsory Moves – IV Lobby end
1:25 PM 1:45 PM Gold/Masters Comp Moves - all Full ice
1:45 PM 2:00 PM Resurface
2:00 PM 2:40 PM Ladies Adult Interpretive - I, II & III
2:40 PM 3:25 PM Ladies Adult Interpretive - IV & IV
3:25 PM 3:45 PM Mens Adult Interpretive – all
3:45 PM 4:05 PM Masters Interpretive - I & II
4:05 PM 4:25 PM Masters Interpretive - III, IV & V
4:25 PM 4:40 PM Resurface
4:40 PM 4:55 PM NoTest Ladies Free Skating - all
4:55 PM 5:15 PM Pre-Bronze Ladies Free Skating - all
5:15 PM 5:35 PM Silver/Gold Maneuver Teams
5:35 PM 5:55 PM Pre-Bronze/Bronze Man. Teams
5:55 PM 6:10 PM Gold/Masters Improvisation - all
6:10 PM 6:30 PM Adult Improvisation - I, II & III
6:30 PM 6:50 PM Adult Improvisation - IV & V
6:50 PM End of Saturday events

2006 Halloween Classic Tentative Schedule
Sunday, November 5, 2006

Start time End time Event
10:00 AM 10:20 AM Gold Ladies FS I & II
10:20 AM 10:40 AM Gold Ladies FS III & IV
10:40 AM 11:00 AM Gold Men FS - all
11:00 AM 11:20 AM Silver Men FS I & II
11:20 AM 11:40 AM Silver Men FS III, IV & V
11:40 AM 11:55 AM Bronze Men FS
11:55 AM 12:25 PM Bronze Ladies FS - I & II
12:25 PM 12:40 PM Bronze Ladies FS - III
12:40 PM 1:00 PM Bronze Ladies FS - IV & V
1:00 PM 1:15 PM Resurface
1:15 PM 1:35 PM Masters Ladies FS I & II
1:35 PM 2:05 PM Masters Ladies FS III, IV & V
2:05 PM 2:30 PM Silver Ladies FS - I & II
2:30 PM 3:05 PM Silver Ladies FS - III
3:05 PM 3:30 PM Silver Ladies FS - IV
3:30 PM 3:45 PM Silver Ladies FS - V
3:45 PM End of Competition

TimDavidSkate
10-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Awesome thanks Philly :D Will there be a roster in the future? (Just checking to see how many competitors there are in each flight)

phillyskater
10-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Awesome thanks Philly :D Will there be a roster in the future? (Just checking to see how many competitors there are in each flight)

I don't know if that will be made available or not. If the referee provides us with it, we'll post it on the website.

philly

Debbie S
10-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the schedule info, philly. Will practice ice info be posted on the website?

phillyskater
10-24-2006, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the schedule info, philly. Will practice ice info be posted on the website?

Hi Debbie. Yes, practice ice sign-up forms should be posted on the website by the end of the week. They will also be mailed (and hopefully e-mailed) to all competitors.

As soon as I know when the practice ice sessions are scheduled, I will post them here.

philly

Raye
10-26-2006, 06:31 AM
I don't see the Bronze solo dances, are they around the same time as the other dance events?

phillyskater
10-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Just a heads up to everyone that the practice ice reservation form will be posted on the website today. Please note that we are doing it a little differently this year. Given the limited amount of spaces available and the short amount of time before the event, we are accepting reservations by mail, e-mail and telephone. You will sign up for only those sessions you intend to skate (no first, second, third choice) and will pay at the door. We had problems last year with people taking the ice using that famous line "the check is in the mail." ;) So this year, if you don't have your payment in hand, you forfeit your spot.

Here's what the form essentially looks like (I don't see a way to attach a document here). Feel free to start sending in your reservations right away.

Let me know if you have any questions!

philly

2006 IceWorks Halloween Classic
Practice Ice Registration Form

Name:
Address:
E-mail:
Phone:

There are three ways to sign up for practice ice: 1) Call 610-448-4653 daily or 302-832-2661 evenings. 2) E-mail your choices to: maria.hunt@siemens.com. 3) Mail in this completed form. Cost is $12.00 per 30 minute session. Calling or e-mailing is the best way to make sure you get the sessions you want. We will accept practice ice reservations on first come first serve basis.

Please DO NOT mail your payment for practice ice. The ice monitor will collect your payment prior to each session. Due to the limited number of spots available, skaters who have not paid in full prior to the session will forfeit their spot. Make your check payable to: IceWorks Skating Club.

Any additional questions, please feel free to contact Maria Hunt at the phone numbers or e-mail address above.

Friday
4:15 pm to 4:45 pm
4:45 pm to 5:15 pm
5:15 pm to 5:45 pm

Saturday
6:15 am to 6:45 am
6:45 am to 7:15 am
7:15 am to 7:45 am

Sunday
6:15 am to 6:45 am
8:45 am to 9:15 am
9:15 am to 9:45 am

Total Amount Due:

Mail reservation forms to: Halloween Classic Practice Ice
c/o Maria Hunt
12 Brighton Way
Bear, DE 19701

phillyskater
10-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Just a quick update to let you all know that I edited my previous message to add time on Friday which was just given to us. :P

Let me know if anyone has questions.

Raye
10-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Hi All: I have surfed the net for weeks and cannot find the music for the Hickory Hoedown, which is one of the two Bronze Solo Dances at the HC. Not in downloadable form, nor the name of the particular piece of music currently in use.

The Hickory Hoedown is not a Canadian dance, but my coach used to teach in Bellingham so he knew it, but he doesn't have the music for it. I have been learning it to the Kilian which, I am assured by the coach, is faster than the 'official' music. Does anyone here know what the actual music is??

10-Fox is no problem as we have that one in our test stream as well.....

Many thanks

2loop2loop
10-26-2006, 07:16 PM
See you all there. I'm heading to the US tomorrow (7.5h flight after a full day at work, ugh) then coskater and I are going to hellraise in NY for a week before heading down to Philly. :D

John

mikawendy
10-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Just a quick update to let you all know that I edited my previous message to add time on Friday which was just given to us. :P

Let me know if anyone has questions.

Thanks for posting the practice ice schedule.

The Ice Works web site says that there are usually freestyle sessions on Fridays at, among other times, 2:45, 3:30, and 4:30. Are these sessions ON as usual, or has the schedule changed a bit because of the competition practice ice being offered?

Also, how crowded are the Friday afternoon freestyle sessions? I would guess that the earlier ones are less crowded because some kids are still in school then?

mikawendy
10-26-2006, 08:53 PM
See you all there. I'm heading to the US tomorrow (7.5h flight after a full day at work, ugh) then coskater and I are going to hellraise in NY for a week before heading down to Philly. :D

John

Getting a head start on the vodka nips, are we???? :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Mrs Redboots
10-27-2006, 05:17 AM

JohnHave a fantastic time - half the British Adult team seems to be in the USA, one way and another, right now! Wish I could join you, but hey, I've just had a holiday!

2loop2loop
10-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Have a fantastic time - half the British Adult team seems to be in the USA, one way and another, right now! Wish I could join you, but hey, I've just had a holiday!

I think it's just me and JB who are going to Aston, but I think JM is doing SSF. Anyone else?

John

Mrs Redboots
10-27-2006, 12:00 PM
I think it's just me and JB who are going to Aston, but I think JM is doing SSF. Anyone else?

JohnJM is indeed doing SSF, and AO has just left on an extended visit and will watch Skate America, to say nothing of staying/skating with the Pond crowd (waves to BlueIIIMoon!) and possibly the Horvaths.

TimDavidSkate
10-30-2006, 10:41 AM
* bump *

Nerves are building up 8O , My estimate for the Silver Men 1-2 are at least 7 more men 8O

manleywoman
10-30-2006, 11:03 AM
I just got back from my vacation away from teh internet. I hope there's still practice ice available since I only just found out. :cry: I sent in my email.

Are they still doing tests? I was interested in taking a test and haven't heard anything.

Alos, are they not splitting the practice by level? I'm a bit worried putting Masters Ladies on the same ice as Bronze Maneuver Teams.

jazzpants
10-30-2006, 11:14 AM
JM is indeed doing SSF...If JM is who I think you're referring to, I just saw him just this past Saturday night watching the Senior Mens do their thing and WOW the crowds!!! He did a wonderful job and got the Silver for his Free Skate event!!! YOU ROCK, JM!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Skate@Delaware
10-30-2006, 02:33 PM
Can anyone please tell me how long the warm-up usually is before each element/section? This is my first USFSA comp and I'm wondering how it is.... Thanks!

NoVa Sk8r
10-30-2006, 02:41 PM
The first year, it was 3 minutes (which freaked me out given that I skated in the pairs event, and we had no practice ice that morning). Last year, it was the typical 6 minutes.

TimDavidSkate
10-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Can anyone please tell me how long the warm-up usually is before each element/section? This is my first USFSA comp and I'm wondering how it is.... Thanks!

It can be 5minutes to 6minutes. But for practice, try to do 5 minute warmups at least 3 times this week, then rest up the warmup routine for Friday and Saturday ;)

On your first warmup practice try to do a 5 min runthrough, get off the ice for at least 10 minutes then get back on and do your program.
(I use to do that and I have a habbit on getting cramps so I would take off my skates and get back on after 10 minutes) {This is just in case if you skate last)

Second warmup practice: Do a at least 4 minutes and on the 6 min mark try to do your program - stay on the ice (this is just in case you skate first)

Third practice - do 5 minutes get off the ice and get back on after 3 minutes.

Hope this helps ;) (of course this is for not all in one day)

Skate@Delaware
10-30-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks!!! I usually do off-ice and am very stretched out and warm, then try to stay warm and stretched until it's my time (from my ISI comps, this worked). I always skated first at my ISI comps (I was the only one in my class so I skated "against the book"), but I'm not counting on skating first at HC because I saw the amount of time they allotted for no-test ladies, so I'm thinking there are a few of us.

My coach did give me an on-ice warmup to do...hoping I don't kill myself doing my footwork 8O

FrankR
10-30-2006, 03:28 PM
The first year, it was 3 minutes (which freaked me out given that I skated in the pairs event, and we had no practice ice that morning). Last year, it was the typical 6 minutes.

I think this is most relevant for the freestyle events. However, I believe that the warm-up is less for moves-in-the-field events and spin events. I think we only got three or four minutes to warm up for those events last year. (Or maybe it just felt like the warm-up went by in the blink of an eye for me. LOL) I am not sure if you get the usual six minute warm-up for compulsory moves events either.

Also, note that the warm-up is structured slightly differently for the maneuvers team events. Usually, you go out and are allowed to stroke ONLY (no jumping and/or spinning) for a few minutes before you break up into your respective teams. Then, you get about a minute to warm up each of your elements just prior to competing them.

NoVa Sk8r
10-30-2006, 03:48 PM
I did 5 events in 2004, and each event, I believe, had different times, which didn't make sense. I think the spin event gave the most time, but I think that's because they were running ahead of schedule.

The reason that the pairs time was unnerving was becasue they didn't tell us before hand. We structured our warmup to include our elements in a 5- (if we skate first) or 6-minute frame. When they announced 2 minutes intothe warmup that we had 1 minute left, that was a bit jarring (we skated first), and we had to get off the ice to get ready to skate our program. But alst year, they seemed to have ironed out these wrinkles.

Frank, are you competing at Halloween?

TimDavidSkate
10-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Also, note that the warm-up is structured slightly differently for the maneuvers team events. Usually, you go out and are allowed to stroke ONLY (no jumping and/or spinning) for a few minutes before you break up into your respective teams. Then, you get about a minute to warm up each of your elements just prior to competing them.

Really? 8O Angelo and I got invited to be part of a maneuver team on Saturday around 5pm... THanks for the heads up 8O

FrankR
10-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Frank, are you competing at Halloween?

Hi,

I'm just doing the maneuvers team event. How about you?

FrankR
10-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Really? 8O Angelo and I got invited to be part of a maneuver team on Saturday around 5pm... THanks for the heads up 8O

You're very welcome. I'm not sure if prior notice makes it any easier though. :lol: I'll tell you that it was quite the adventure having to jump an axel and an axel/loop combination on legs that were still pretty much cold and feet that were fully numb.

Last year we had seven teams compete in the gold/silver maneuvers team event. Although it was a bit tough to get warmed up by doing the warm-up that way, it kind of made sense because there were around twenty of us on the ice between the seven teams and it would have been mayhem if they had just allowed a free-for-all for six minutes. However, when we did the gold/silver maneuvers team at Adult Easterns a few months later they did the same thing and there were just seven skaters split amongst two teams on the ice. I'm guessing that's just the way maneuvers team warm-ups take place.

TimDavidSkate
10-30-2006, 06:24 PM
:halo: Im assuming youre doing the same event as I am?

FrankR
10-30-2006, 06:33 PM
:halo: Im assuming youre doing the same event as I am?

If you're doing gold/silver maneuvers then yes, I guess so.

TimDavidSkate
10-30-2006, 06:49 PM
If you're doing gold/silver maneuvers then yes, I guess so.

Yeps :halo: and you said youre doing axel/loop for combo? damn :frus: I didnt plan on working or doing an axel this weekend.. I was just going to settle for lutz/loop , angelo's doing the single axel jump and the spin combo

FrankR
10-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Yeps :halo: and you said youre doing axel/loop for combo? damn :frus: I didnt plan on working or doing an axel this weekend.. I was just going to settle for lutz/loop , angelo's doing the single axel jump and the spin combo

Actually, I did axel/loop last year. This year our team is a little different and we may swap out on some of the elements. However, nothing is set in stone. We'll probably decide when we get out there. You know how that is. ;)

TimDavidSkate
10-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Yeh you're right...I knew I would discover a piece of music that I would fancy during Skate America... I did.. So know Im trying to decide whether I should do this or Tosca. I never even ran through Tosca yet on the ice... I guess I will play around with it tomorrow night at a Freestyle session in Nyack 8O

TimDavidSkate
10-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Just wondering did anyone do a lutz/loop combo?

NoVa Sk8r
10-31-2006, 10:57 AM
Hi,
I'm just doing the maneuvers team event. How about you?I'm reluctantly competing in silver FS.
I'm really just going to take advantage of the test session.

TimDavidSkate
10-31-2006, 11:01 AM
oh shoot, i totally forgot about the test session... i wish i could have signed up so i can get this silver freeskating over with

NoVa Sk8r
10-31-2006, 11:05 AM
The test session (part of it) is on Sunday morning, right before the competition. Eek.

phillyskater
10-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks for posting the practice ice schedule.

The Ice Works web site says that there are usually freestyle sessions on Fridays at, among other times, 2:45, 3:30, and 4:30. Are these sessions ON as usual, or has the schedule changed a bit because of the competition practice ice being offered?

Also, how crowded are the Friday afternoon freestyle sessions? I would guess that the earlier ones are less crowded because some kids are still in school then?

Hi. Yes, there will be regular freestyle sessions on Friday in addition to the official practice ice. Although I don't skate during the day because of work, I do know that there are a number of high level pairs and dance teams who practice on that ice, so sometimes it's difficult to get in a complete program run-through (I have that problem on weekends there). That's why we set aside the separate ice on Friday afternoon for the competition. You're certainly welcome to give it a try though if that time works better for you! :)

TimDavidSkate
10-31-2006, 11:11 AM
The test session (part of it) is on Sunday morning, right before the competition. Eek.

8O oh that would get me tired... ok i dont feel bad on passing the opportunity

manleywoman
10-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Okay, wait, re: the test session: I had sent in my form expressing interest in taking the test. It's still happening? How do I find out the info and find out if I was signed up?

jazzpants
10-31-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm reluctantly competing in silver FS.
I'm really just going to take advantage of the test session.Oh? Are you testing Gold Moves? ;)

NoVa Sk8r
10-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Oh? Are you testing Gold Moves? ;)Eventually. ... I'm hoping by 2012 or so.

Joan
10-31-2006, 11:40 AM

When is the test session?

NoVa Sk8r
10-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Okay, wait, re: the test session: I had sent in my form expressing interest in taking the test. It's still happening? How do I find out the info and find out if I was signed up?The test session is Sat. evening, after the competition (7-8:15pm) and Sunday morning, right before the competition (7-8:45am).
Your name is not on the list.

Joan
10-31-2006, 11:59 AM
The test session is Sat. evening, after the competition (7-8:15pm) and Sunday morning, right before the competition (7-8:45am).

I'm not planning to test - I'm hoping to trial judge! I found the schedule at the iceworks club website. Thanks for the info. on the times.

FrankR
10-31-2006, 12:45 PM

Best of luck to you in your event and on your test.

manleywoman
10-31-2006, 01:23 PM
The test session is Sat. evening, after the competition (7-8:15pm) and Sunday morning, right before the competition (7-8:45am).
Well that's really irritating. I send in my foirm saying I'm interested and then hear nothing about it? :x I guess they arranged everything while I was out on vacation.

NoVa Sk8r
10-31-2006, 06:47 PM
Best of luck to you in your event and on your test.Make that tests, 2 to be exact with LoopLoop. We should be OK. But this week, I have to go to this early morning to late night work retreat on Wed.-Fri. Grrr. :evil: (Work ruins everything, but I guess it pays the bills.)

phillyskater
11-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Well that's really irritating. I send in my foirm saying I'm interested and then hear nothing about it? :x I guess they arranged everything while I was out on vacation.

Hi. The survey form was just to determine whether was sufficient interest to hold a test session during the competition. To actually register for a test, you would have had to complete and send in an application (found on the website). I'm sorry if that wasn't explained clearly. (I'm just the competition person, that was handled by the test chair :giveup: )

philly

TimDavidSkate
11-03-2006, 09:33 AM
How long is the {warmingup/stroking} for maneuvers? :halo: Do the reff. then hold the groups to do the elements one by one? Does it mean we only get to do the element once?

NaomiBeth1
11-03-2006, 10:37 AM
How long is the {warmingup/stroking} for maneuvers? :halo: Do the reff. then hold the groups to do the elements one by one? Does it mean we only get to do the element once?

I'm sorry to say that I won't be at HC this year (Quite Pregnant & no time since I just bought a house!) - but if I remember correctly, everyone had a 1 or 2 minute lap around the rink (all 30 or so participants). Then, they picked an element (ie., camel spin), and each camel spin person had about 30 seconds to practice it at the same time. Then, each contestant, one at a time, showed their camel spin for the judges. This repeated this way for each element. It was a great event and way to show camraderie.

Have fun everyone!