View Full Version : Flash with the cash or stony broke - 21/8 - 28/8

Sonic
08-21-2006, 03:11 PM
I hope you guys don't mind me starting this week's off? :)

Flash with the cash
Skated at the tea-time session this evening:
Succeeded in landing 6 flips on a running edge
Three jump - loop okay
Toe loop okay
Salchow okay (especially considering I hate them lol!)
Backspin slightly improved
Foot tender - but I can walk on it. Will put on ice pack just to be safe...

Stony broke
Spins mediocre - could only manage maximum of two revs on the camel
Again with the *!!****!:frus: Shoot the Duck.....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

:giveup:
S xxx

phoenix
08-21-2006, 03:33 PM
flash the cash:
I have lots of cool new exercises & am very happy to be working with NO deadlines for competitions or tests! Coach is again attacking my knee bend--wants more, more, more--so am being made to do lots of lunges & shoot the ducks. Small problem--I can't do a shoot the duck, never could (was going to abbreviate that & then realized it's not a good idea :twisted: ). One exercise is do a spiral, lower down to a shoot the duck, then come back up into the spiral. My position on the lowest point is more semi crouched.....However, now when I do my pathetic little shoot the duck, I don't feel like I'm going to die anymore, so we'll mark that in the plus column anyway.

stone broke: I'm SO sore from all the lunges/imitation shoot the ducks! There's a muscle that is above the knee that seems to wrap around that I never knew existed before. And, I woke up this morning w/ a scratchy throat & fear I'm coming down w/ something.

mintypoppet
08-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Flash with the cash
Just to be different... :twisted: I can suddenly manage lunges and shoot the ducks on the left leg. I've been having issue with PFS in that knee, so this was a pleasant surprise.
Sonic tells me that my spins and jumps are also improving (as are her shoot the ducks, which aren't as terrible as she thinks they are).
Managed a couple of tiny waltz-halfloop-salchows.
Remembered the steps to the Canasta for once!

Stony broke
The trapped nerve problems continue, and are now happening even without the orthotic. Still waiting on GAM...
My coach's evil BO edge exercise is incomprehensible.
Still stepping the half-loop, rather than jumping it.
More knee bend needed. Nuff said :lol:

slusher
08-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Flash with the Cash

Went to the big city on the weekend because one of the kids wanted to see a long lost friend. Having time on my hands I knew there was a rink, so I brought my skate bag and yes indeed there was ticket ice for figure skating. Unfortunately the price had gone up so I was as not flash with the cash when I was done but it was a pleasure to skate with figure skating kids again, all who were better than me which is my usual situation. When everyone else is flying around, I fly around too. Unfortunately it was mostly freeskaters so impossible to do dance nor even request dance music, so I played around with lots of little things and tried to remember what it was like to skate again. And It WAS FUN!

Oh boy do I need my skates sharpened! Talk about no-edge spirals!

Stony broke

Um the tank of gas it cost for that little adventure?

No, what was the evil part of the day had nothing to do with my skating, it was the mom and skater at the rink that were having a fight. There's a reason why SkateMoms have that reputation. The poor girl.......wasn't getting her skate on fast enough and the coach was waiting for her lesson and the coach is so expensive and every minute costs and think of all these things I do for you all the time and if you don't want to do it just go ahead and quit......blah blah blah blah.

There was no rush, the flood was on. I wanted to say something nice to the girl on the ice but then I knew her mom would yell at her after for chit chatting and not "working" every single minute.

Sigh.

I skate because I want to. No one is making me do it.

doubletoe
08-21-2006, 08:27 PM
Flash the Cash
- Actually got to skate my program twice yesterday since there were fewer coaches hogging the CD player and the parapatetic (everywhere at once) pairs teams had taken a day off. Aaahhh!
- Landed my axel in both program run-throughs, something that hasn't happened in awhile.
- Made it through the spiral sequence right afterwards in one of them.
- Landed a clean double sal on the first try in my warmup.

Stony broke (never heard that expression before!)
- Messed up the flying camel-back sit in both program run-throughs (ironic, since this has been the most consistent element lately)
- Messed up the double salchow in both program run-throughs and could only land 1/4 -1/3 turn cheated ones when I tried again later. Evasive little varmint.
- Messed up my BACK somehow during practice yesterday. Probably doing this semi-shoot-the-duck position into an attitude and letting my back relax and get rounded instead of keeping it arched as I came up. I won't make THAT mistake again. I just went to the chiropractor and paid $75 for an adjustment, which will hopefully help.

SkatingOnClouds
08-22-2006, 04:09 AM
flash with cash?

well not after hiring the rink to myself for an hour. It was bliss to have the ice to myself, no loud music, no kamikaze kids cutting across the middle. Just me, the ice, and the sound of my blades. Sigh! If only I could afford to do it every week. Or every day! I love to skate, couldn't wipe the grin off my face for the rest of the weekend.

Coach finally got me working on spins instead of edges in my private lesson. Yay. Started working on the camel spin again. Group lesson on Saturday focussed on small jumps, which was fun. Ballet jump, falling leaf, half loop landing forwards, star jumps, half salchows and half waltzes. Cute! So now I have heaps to work on.

Oh and I finally have a fairly reliable, acceptably low sit spin. Yay.

Stoney Broke.

camel spins are so much harder than when I learned them 20 years ago. Need to work on my free leg position on the entry.

Coach told me not to atempt full flips again until I get my entry sorted out. I am happy to do whatever it takes to get my once favourite jump working properly again. For now it means practising the entry and jump with zero rotation, to make sure I'm doing it right. Oh, and left back inside 3 turns to help me get further back on the blade prior to picking.

jazzpants
08-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Stoney Broke with holes in pockets!!! :x

No LOOP OR FLIP!!! I am lucky to just be able to jump today!!! By the time I was warmed up enough to do jumps w/o killing my back (which ended up being maybe the last 30 minutes, so took about 45 minutes to warm up my body before I actually did a jump...) the ice was dry sticky slushy again! At one point, the blade was literally STICKING to the ice, so I really have to muscle my way to make a strong deep edge!!! ALL of my edge jumps are impacted by this! It's usually NOT like this, but they had to turn up the freezer so the ditch doesn't get any longer. Unfortunately, that still didn't work -- the length of the ditch now past the half way mark and will probably be this way 'til Labor Day. :roll:

Flash with the Cash!

We will finally have our annual ice maintanance starting Labor Day in the evening. No skating from Monday night 'til Saturday (morning?) I'll probably have to go to my second alternate rink to skate or something during that week. Those of you who are coming to visit San Francisco (you know who you are...) probably won't run into the ditch by the time you come to town and the rink should be opened by then -- fully functional with beautifully "smooth like buttah" ice and NO DITCH!!! :D

Spins are good... pretty much anything that doesn't require me to jump off the ice was pretty good! :P

Terri C
08-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Flash with Ca$h:
Had a good lesson today, where Coach and I looked at the Halloween Classic Application and went over Bronze moves for Halloween Classic. Yes I can do three turns on top of the lobe on power threes and the five step was a five step with major bling-bling!!

Stony Broke:
Unless there's some major breakthrough in the jumps department, I will doing Pre Bronze free, since the loop is coming back, but not competition ready and the flip is still in developmental stages.
Freestyle was horribly crowded today, which made it a royal pain, but flash with cash for rink management!!

Sk8pdx
08-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Stony Broke:
My loop jump seems to have returned to Hades where it came from. It is gone. I have shin splins from trying to force it. :frus: :cry: :twisted: I give up.:giveup: I am still plateaued in "half rotation-ville" and see no escape in sight. I am so mad at skating right now.:evil:

Flash with cash:
Even while jumps have evaded me, there are tremendous improvements in spins. I am starting to be more consistent in getting them centered and feeling the entrance edge.

Power 3s today were not skidding as much. The right side is more challenging than the left still. and that damn step forward....:P

Thin-Ice
08-23-2006, 03:28 AM
Group lesson on Saturday focussed on small jumps, which was fun. Ballet jump, falling leaf, half loop landing forwards, star jumps, half salchows and half waltzes.

What are "star jumps, half salchows and half waltzes"? (Yeah, I know they're jumps.. but what I'm really asking is stuff like: Is a half-waltz a quarter rotation? and how do you do a half-salchow? and I've never heard of a star jump before (star lift, yes. stars to push into a camel, yes... just not star jumps). And I'm impressed you're brave enough to land a half-loop forwards... that would scare me to death! So is a half-loop landing forwards truly a half a loop with a half-way-round rotation? So many cool things to discover in this sport!

tidesong
08-23-2006, 05:22 AM
@thin-ice: A half loop is landed on the left foot (left back inside) if you take off from the right foot. In the same vein a half waltz jump is likely a waltz jump thats landed on the left foot (left back inside) if you take off from the left foot. Which would make it practically a jumped leftforward outside three turn (or right forward outside three turn if you skate clockwise)

stony broke:
back on my home ice again and it felt wierd compared to the rink in china... I nearly fell over after stepping on it because my blades felt like they glued themselves to the ice.

flash with cash:
I started landing my double salchows towards the end of the session I also landed two double loops. Spins were decent but not very fast... hard for me to get them fast on the soft ice.

sarahg
08-23-2006, 07:55 AM
I'm relatively new to this board and to the world of adult skating (I started 4 months ago and am 28 years old), but I figured I may follow Clare's lead from last week and start posting my minor triumphs and sorrows on the practice thread - especially since I love reading everyone else's, it gives me inspiration to continue.

Flash with the Cash

My coach passed me on my backward chasses today (they are in level 6 of Skate UK) and I was really happy about this. My backward crossovers are coming along well, I just need more knee bend and more lean into the circle (what a shock!). My cross rolls had some nice edges to them, although they are still a little steppy - I need to work on getting a nice knee bend and proper push rather than a toe push.

Stony Broke

The only remaining element left in level 6 is the wretched forward outside 3 turns. I have been practising these for nearly 2 months now and they feel exactly the same as the day I first started. My very first attempt at a 3 turn was 'nearly there' and 2 months on I've progressed to 'very nearly there' :roll: We spent a lot of the lesson trying to identify the particular point at which they go wrong, and we think we've found it. I guess I just now need to try and understand how to fix it :??

My continuous inside edges need more control. The first 2 or 3 are good but then I start to lose them and either overrotate or don't have sufficient control over the edge. But on the plus side at least I understand how to fix this, it's just a matter of practice - unlike the evil 3s :lol:

doubletoe
08-23-2006, 12:40 PM
@thin-ice: A half loop is landed on the left foot (left back inside) if you take off from the right foot.

That is true. They call a loop a 1/2 loop when you land it on your left back inside edge, even though it really is a full rotation. The 1/2 revolution jump you were doing from a loop takeoff is called a Falling Leaf. I remember learning the falling leaf and finding it quite pointless, but being very impressed by that gorgeous split jump Michelle Kwan used to do from a loop entrance instead of a flip entrance. You can imagine the look on my face 8O when it finally dawned on me that she was doing a split falling leaf and that's what that silly little jump was really supposed to look like, LOL!

NoVa Sk8r
08-23-2006, 12:54 PM
In the same vein a half waltz jump is likely a waltz jump thats landed on the left foot (left back inside) if you take off from the left foot.It's also called a 3-jump because, essentially, you are doing a 3-turn in the air.
A half-salchow takes off like a regular salchow (LBI edge for CWW), but is landed on the LBI edge, where you can do another one or just do a salchow. Watching Don Jackson in Oberstdorf, he did quite a few of the half-salchows into 2sals.

Also, one can do a 1/4 flip: the half flip takes off backward then lands forward on the same picking foot (right foot for CWW), whereas the 1/4 flip would land forward on the left foot. I know some folks who do a 1/4 flip into 2flip. Sounds nifty.

phoenix
08-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Flash the Cash!
One of my very evil-est exercises is power pulls, started from a stand still, & you're supposed to go all the way around the rink w/o touching down, & you do both fwd & bkwd on each foot. Today, for the first time, I made it through the complete circuit!! I usually can do 1 or 2 complete, but not all 4. Coach was very pleased.

Also got a new variation on my twizzles--starting from a FI edge, do a single on each side, normal, then do doubles on each side w/ arms above your head (like 5th position arms). I was amazed to find I could do them--a little wobbly, but I didn't touch down at all.

Also worked on FI double 3's a LOT, which have never been a strong exercise for me. He changed some things around & it's improving a bit, & I also understand it better. Then did BI double 3's, w/ a different push & different free leg positions than I'm used to, so that will give me something (else) new to work on.

Stone Broke:
Not much, it was an all around good lesson!

Mrs Redboots
08-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Stony broke: Had to skate on the teatime patch because of hockey school - so, unfortunately, did everybody else! So quite difficult to do much, and the ice, naturally, was dire.

The ice cleared by about 6:30 as the younger ones went off to their fitness class, and we had our lesson. Not great - we needed to work on the free dance, and the coach decided he didn't like one bit of it. so we had to change it, and of course that never works first time. In fact, Husband caught his blade and prostrated himself at my feet.... And the step sequence is getting nowhere near the length of the rink, but that was partly the ice. I hope!

Stayed on to Figure Club and did some of our own work, then went back to the dance (I know, I know - but we never do compulsory dances on Figure Club, only the Free). I had such a backache by the end of the session, trying to work on that ice.

Flash with the cash: At least next week will be better because everybody will be at the NJS and morning patch will be reduced to mostly adults again! So we'll get good ice to work on.

It was good to meet Clare, very briefly, as we were leaving.

Mrs Redboots
08-23-2006, 02:18 PM
It's also called a 3-jump because, essentially, you are doing a 3-turn in the airWhereas here in the UK a 3-jump is the same thing as a waltz jump!

doubletoe
08-23-2006, 02:23 PM
It's also called a 3-jump because, essentially, you are doing a 3-turn in the air.
A half-salchow takes off like a regular salchow (LBI edge for CWW), but is landed on the LBI edge, where you can do another one or just do a salchow. Watching Don Jackson in Oberstdorf, he did quite a few of the half-salchows into 2sals.

Also, one can do a 1/4 flip: the half flip takes off backward then lands forward on the same picking foot (right foot for CWW), whereas the 1/4 flip would land forward on the left foot. I know some folks who do a 1/4 flip into 2flip. Sounds nifty.

I don't know if I've heard that called a "half salchow" but I think I've heard it called a "1-foot salchow." The danger of landing any jump backwards on the LBI edge--other than the half loop--is that it will still count as a landed jump according to the current ISU rule clarifications. So if you did two 1-foot salchows in a row, it would be considered a salchow-salchow combination and would use up both of the salchows you are allowed to do in your program. An exception is made for the half-loop, though, even though it's also technically a full revolution jump landed on the LBI edge. You are allowed to use the half loop as a connecting move in footwork or as part of a jump sequence without it counting as a jump.

NoVa Sk8r
08-23-2006, 02:56 PM
The danger of landing any jump backwards on the LBI edge--other than the half loop--is that it will still count as a landed jump according to the current ISU rule clarifications. So if you did two 1-foot salchows in a row, it would be considered a salchow-salchow combination and would use up both of the salchows you are allowed to do in your program. An exception is made for the half-loop, though, even though it's also technically a full revolution jump landed on the LBI edge. You are allowed to use the half loop as a connecting move in footwork or as part of a jump sequence without it counting as a jump.That's incorrect. The one-foot salchow or half-salchow is an "unclassified jump" and does not count as a jump. It can be used in between listed jumps (the "scale of value jumps") for a jump sequence.

jazzpants
08-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Stony Broke:

Still working on my loop drills... working on getting deeper edges still. I'm now occasionally getting the drill at times...gotta keep working on the drill 'til I get it (consistently that is....) I still haven't landed a loop yet, but I'm got close on my first try. (Landed it clean but landing was too shaky to stay landed and had to step out to stay vertical...)

And the BIG scary part....

Secondary coach says "Bring your hip pads next week! You'll need them! :twisted: " *GULP* Uh-oh.... 8O (When the coach allows me to wear pads for protection, you *know* it's gonna HURT!!! WAAAAAH!!! :cry: Better keep my cell phone nearby too!!! Might need to call the chiro afterwards!!! 8O )

But I am left with this homework assignment for now...

Clare
08-23-2006, 05:16 PM
It was good to meet Clare, very briefly, as we were leaving.

Good to meet you too :)

Well, since I'm already here...

Flash with the cash: Had my second private lesson last night, coach discovered my love of the spin. I thought it was a 2 foot spin but he assures me I'm on one foot for the majority of it so I was quite pleased with that. My backwards skating is improving- slowly but surely. The hardest part is fighting my own impatience and accepting that it will come together eventually!

Stony broke: The ice was not great, as Mrs R mentioned (although I skated again tonight and it was better) and my blades need sharpening so must try to fit that in soon. I am still not bending my knees deeply enough on my CW crossovers which is why I am struggling with them.

Tomorrow is another day :)

Clare

xofivebyfive
08-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Flash with the cash:
My backspin finally came through for me, and now I can do at least 5 rotations easy. YAY. I also was playing around with my half-flip and decided to try doing a whole one again(been trying already for about 3 months).. and after about half an hour I finally did one.. and then 49 more. And my coach came back today after getting surgery and being gone for 2 weeks and was amazed by how fast and strong my backcrossovers are and my whole flip and my "wonderful" spiral.

Stony broke:
Can't seem to land the flip one footed. Coach told me to do half-flip->backspins.. but she said that they're very hard and she can barely do them.. but it would probably help if I was able. I also played around with the sitspin and scratch spin.. I can do the scratchspin up until my feet are one over the other.. I can't cross more than that because I get off balance. And my sit spin.. I barely bend my knee at all but I was just trying to get the feel of it.

And I was trying to show off my beautiful salchow but kept screwing up. I assured her that I was fully able to do a good one, and she believed me which is good.

doubletoe
08-23-2006, 05:52 PM
That's incorrect. The one-foot salchow or half-salchow is an "unclassified jump" and does not count as a jump. It can be used in between listed jumps (the "scale of value jumps") for a jump sequence.

It's possible that I am jumping to conclusions on the one-foot salchow-salchow combination, but I would still play it safe when it comes to assuming any jump landed on the left foot is an unlisted jump and won't count against your jump limits (with the exception of the half loop, which is specifically singled out as an unlisted jump). Here's why:

From the most recent publication posted on USFSA.org for Technical Controllers
http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/FirstAid_Singles_06-07-30.pdf

(Page 42)
Not listed jumps
Jumps that are not listed in the SOV (e.g. Walley’s, Split Jump, Half Loop etc.) will not count as a jump element but might be used as a special entrance to the jump to be considered in the mark for Transition. A Toe-Walley, however, will be called and count as a Toeloop

Landing on either foot
All jumps may be landed on either foot. The call goes for the jump, independent of the landing foot

NoVa Sk8r
08-23-2006, 06:30 PM
That will be interesting to observe, to see how this rule is interpreted.
I was basing my response on this wording:

-A one-foot axel is considered an axel jump element, although it is not specifically listed in the ISU Scale of Values. It is an exception to the rule and will be counted as fulfilling the requirement of an "axel type jump," as well
as a jump element.
• NOTE: Walley jumps and inside axels are not found in the ISU Scale of Values. These jumps, along with half-turn jumps such as half loop, split jump, stag jump and falling leaf, are not considered to be jump elements in the new well-balanced program rules and are not limited. These jumps are referred to in this clarification as "Unclassified Jumps." These Unclassified Jumps will not increase a skater’s Technical Merit mark. Judges will evaluate such Unclassified Jumps as transitions/skating movements.

And anyway, I can't imagine anyone really doing a series of half-jumps as part of a long jump sequence pass -- unless they are tryng to emulate Janet Lynn! :)

doubletoe
08-23-2006, 07:43 PM
That will be interesting to observe, to see how this rule is interpreted.
I was basing my response on this wording:

-A one-foot axel is considered an axel jump element, although it is not specifically listed in the ISU Scale of Values. It is an exception to the rule and will be counted as fulfilling the requirement of an "axel type jump," as well
as a jump element.
• NOTE: Walley jumps and inside axels are not found in the ISU Scale of Values. These jumps, along with half-turn jumps such as half loop, split jump, stag jump and falling leaf, are not considered to be jump elements in the new well-balanced program rules and are not limited. These jumps are referred to in this clarification as "Unclassified Jumps." These Unclassified Jumps will not increase a skater’s Technical Merit mark. Judges will evaluate such Unclassified Jumps as transitions/skating movements.

I like the clarification they give in the note there; it's more than I've seen on that subject in most of the other places it's mentioned. Is that from one of the sections on short program jump requirements? Can you tell me which document it's from?
It's interesting what they say about the 1-foot axel because it is actually consistent with counting all listed jumps landed backwards on either foot, KWIM? (with the exception of the half loop, of course, since they keep specifically identifying as an unlisted jump). Gawd, I'm becoming such a rules junkie, LOL!

NoVa Sk8r
08-23-2006, 09:10 PM
I actually had that pasted into a "COP rules" document that I created a while ago. I'll have to look for the exact document. It's from one of the IJS Communications.

But here's a document that lists some clarifications:
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-152073-169289-64128-0-file,00.pdf

And Communication 1319:
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-168609-185827-89562-0-file,00.pdf

As for "landing on either foot": One document says "All jumps may be landed on either foot. The call goes for the jump, independent of
the landing foot. Judges will reflect this in the GOE if necessary." I had always interpreted this differently than what was mentioned above. I believed it to mean that if I, say, did a 3sal, but landed on the LBI edge, I would still get a "3S" listed on my protocol sheet, but I would have negative GOEs for the incorrect landing.

doubletoe
08-23-2006, 09:45 PM
As for "landing on either foot": One document says "All jumps may be landed on either foot. The call goes for the jump, independent of
the landing foot. Judges will reflect this in the GOE if necessary." I had always interpreted this differently than what was mentioned above. I believed it to mean that if I, say, did a 3sal, but landed on the LBI edge, I would still get a "3S" listed on my protocol sheet, but I would have negative GOEs for the incorrect landing.

Yes, I think it's up to the judges to decide whether a negative GOE is in order (thus the words, "if necesssary"). It probably has to do with whether the LBI edge landing was intentional or appeared to be a mistake, not to mention the control level, etc. But I agree that it isn't 100% clear.

Thin-Ice
08-24-2006, 03:16 AM
@thin-ice: A half loop is landed on the left foot (left back inside) if you take off from the right foot. In the same vein a half waltz jump is likely a waltz jump thats landed on the left foot (left back inside) if you take off from the left foot. Which would make it practically a jumped leftforward outside three turn (or right forward outside three turn if you skate clockwise)

Tidesong--

Thanks for the description of a half-waltz jump! (I've never really cared for doing half-loops, so I could "feel" what a half-waltz would be like from your really good description.) I may have to try that.. I've done jumped FO 3s as part of a footwork sequence.. so maybe I'll have to make them a bit bigger.. and tell my coach it's a footwork sequence including small jumps!

SkatingOnClouds
08-24-2006, 03:59 AM
The half loop thing I was talking about landing forwards as opposed to landing on the left foot is, I suppose, a split falling leaf. Years ago my first coach called the landing forward thing a half loop, and I didn't catch what my current coach called it. So I'm happy to go with split falling leaf.

Star jumps are jumping from the toe pick of one foot to the other foot, with fairly straight legs, with half rotations. More a connecting step than a jump in my mind.

Half waltz, yes that is taking off from and landing on the same foot.
Half salchow is the same, and I'm finding i quite tricky to control. I have done a half loop, half salchow, full salchow combo, but not very well.

As I am not competing at the moment, it never occurred to me how a judge might view them, but I'm glad the issue was raised, as I had considered most of these as possibly part of a step sequence or as connecting moves, so it is something to bear in mind.

Skate@Delaware
08-24-2006, 06:59 AM
This is very educational to me, all the different jumps! I have a skating friend who says the half-waltz is on her "test" for pre-bronze!!! I asked her if it was the rink test or "other" but she didn't know.

I'm still stuck trying to land correctly on the loop...I keep landing the half-loop (i.e. landing on the left foot instead of the right) only because I'm scared to trust myself enough to go for it. :frus:

I'd like to try the half-waltz jump though...sounds really interesting!

although I still get confused on some of these jumps....I need flashcards! Last time I went skating, I had to ask a 6 year old how to do a half-flip. That gets embarrassing, especially when they look at you like you are crazy and say, "Thats EASY!!!" and you have to ask them to do it again S-L-O-W-L-Y!!!! Sheesh!

Debbie S
08-24-2006, 11:20 AM
I have a skating friend who says the half-waltz is on her "test" for pre-bronze!!! I asked her if it was the rink test or "other" but she didn't know.If you're talking about USFSA Pre-Bronze FS, the jump requirement is 2 jumps, either half or whole revolution. Most skaters do a (whole) waltz jump for one of the jumps (I did a waltz and toe loop), but it is not required.

I don't think a half waltz jump would count as a jump for the test. That sounds like more of a footwork step or something for choreo effect. Better to stick with jumps that are part of the USFSA FS lesson sequence - waltz, half flip, half lutz, toe, sal, and the other full rev jumps.

A half flip (and half lutz) is the same takeoff as the single, except that you only turn around halfway, so you land forward. You may land on either your usual landing foot (right for CCW) or the other - I have always landed on the other (left for me - I'm CCW) and then stepped forward on my right. I'm revisiting the half flip now that I'm working on the single - it's good practice to get you to draw your skating foot to your picking foot and jump off the toe pick.

2loop2loop
08-24-2006, 03:16 PM
if I, say, did a 3sal, but landed on the LBI edge, I would still get a "3S" listed on my protocol sheet

So how is that 3sal going NoVa? :twisted:

NoVa Sk8r
08-24-2006, 03:21 PM
So how is that 3sal going NoVa? :twisted:About as well as your 2axel! :D

doubletoe
08-24-2006, 04:01 PM
So how is that 3sal going NoVa? :twisted:

Ha ha! I was thiiiiiis || far away from making a little crack about that myself! :lol:

NoVa Sk8r
08-24-2006, 05:41 PM
I was SO waiting for you to razz me.
And hey, at first, I was going to have myself doing a quad axel, but thought that was a *bit* too much. :P

doubletoe
08-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Although a quad axel IS a listed jump (meaning you couldn't do it as part of your footwork unless you were willing to use up one of your jump passes!). ;)

DallasSkater
08-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Flash with the cash: Since school is back in session, there were few people at public session today. Took a long lunch from work and got over an hour of ice today! There is such serenity offered on a near empty rink! I learned my first "dance sequence" last week. I must admit that I never really enjoyed watching ice dance the way I have enjoyed watching freestyle. But doing even my simple one gives me new appreciation for it's popularity. There is something very relaxing yet challenging in it. I love to do the pattern and think I have it down for my lesson tomorrow! Did do all my jumps just to make sure I still could but saved my legs for my step class I also did tonight.

Stony Broke: Invited Spamama to try on her blue boot rentals. She was unable to make this session but I do think she is getting close! giggle. Spins are still hit and miss. I do not understand why these are so difficult for me. I am wondering about my blade alignment. I had to have one moved but wonder if it is really where it needs to be. I fear moving it again as it was really hard to get it adjusted to were it is. I wish there was more of a science to placing those. They can clone sheep, puppies and humans! Surely they can get a computer to place it perfectly for me! lol. Well, that is my latest spin rationalization anyway!

Skate@Delaware
08-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Stony Broke: Invited Spamama to try on her blue boot rentals. She was unable to make this session but I do think she is getting close! giggle. Spins are still hit and miss. I do not understand why these are so difficult for me. I am wondering about my blade alignment. I had to have one moved but wonder if it is really where it needs to be. I fear moving it again as it was really hard to get it adjusted to were it is. I wish there was more of a science to placing those. They can clone sheep, puppies and humans! Surely they can get a computer to place it perfectly for me! lol. Well, that is my latest spin rationalization anyway!
It can really be challenging to get them if the blade is off even a smidgen! My 3-turns were really messed up on my one foot for a year because my blade was mounted incorrectly.....causing my toe-loop to be messed up....it was off 3/8" front and back. And my jump landings too as it was my landing foot (I had to lean to correct). It can be mounted crooked as well which I hear is worse.

Are you tensing up when you spin? or breaking at the waist, or rushing into it? These can mess you up.

Thin-Ice
08-25-2006, 04:05 AM
The half loop thing I was talking about landing forwards as opposed to landing on the left foot is, I suppose, a split falling leaf. Years ago my first coach called the landing forward thing a half loop, and I didn't catch what my current coach called it. So I'm happy to go with split falling leaf.

Star jumps are jumping from the toe pick of one foot to the other foot, with fairly straight legs, with half rotations. More a connecting step than a jump in my mind.

Half waltz, yes that is taking off from and landing on the same foot.
Half salchow is the same, and I'm finding i quite tricky to control. I have done a half loop, half salchow, full salchow combo, but not very well.

As I am not competing at the moment, it never occurred to me how a judge might view them, but I'm glad the issue was raised, as I had considered most of these as possibly part of a step sequence or as connecting moves, so it is something to bear in mind.

Thank you for the explanations and for bringing up the topic... it's always nice to have new (ahem)" challenges to try out.. especially when all the old "challenges" are uh, uhm, "too challenging".:roll: :lol:

Mrs Redboots
08-25-2006, 06:50 AM
Flash with the cash: The ice was a lot better last night than it had been on Tuesday, not quite sure why. Perhaps it had been cut better before the patch?

Stayed on to dance club, which was quite fun. Managed to do a very bad 14-step, an appalling Hickory Hoedown (how on earth are you supposed to do that 3-turn! It's simply impossible!) and even worse Foxtrot, but did a quite good Prelim waltz and remembered the steps to everything else at that sort of level. Didn't do the Willow, though, as Husband is competing it at Bristol so let him solo it.

Stony Broke: I had my lesson, which was mostly struggling with the back cross-strokes or cross-cuts or whatever they are called. Coach said that if it was just the cross-rolls I'd probably pass, but not with the cross-cuts, but he seems unable to help me improve them. Sigh. Mind you he did say it was okay to lean forwards a little - now he tells me....

They are better than they were, I think, but still not what they will have need to be before the end of the year.

DallasSkater
08-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Skate@Delware: My most common error in a spin, especially a one footed one, is to drop my right shoulder when I pick up my foot. I only sometimes break at the waist when I am losing balance. I have my 2 footed spin down pretty well after I am warmed up so my coach said today that it is possible the blade is slightly off but more likely ME! She thinks if the blade were that significant it would effect the two footed spin as well. WAAAHHH! She does want me to get sharpened again first. Will decide about messing with the blade after that. Thanks for the input!

Flash with the cash: Had my private lesson today. I had a great time and it was as good a lesson as last Friday! I am able to do more revolutions on a one footed spin when my coach is there for some reason. I do everything that she tells me to do when she is not there but for some reason it seems to make a difference when I am in a lesson. Felt better about reviewing the 1/2 lutz from last week. The coach was able to point out how I was not reaching back straight and it totally fixed that jump when I did. She had me do a few bunny hops prior to doing the waltz-toe tap-waltz and it helped to get them higher. I was pleased because I just think that should be much improved by now. Today I learned a backward spiral inside and outside edge from cross overs....Love it! Still enjoying the little dance sequence thingy...the coach was impressed that I had it down so well...I told her I did it a million times because I liked it so much!...lol. Going to try to have a love affair with the waltz jumps and one footed spins to see if I can get as ga-ga about them! A little euphoric mood might help!

Stony Broke: (I love these UK expressions...how cute is that?)....I have some back pain again following this session. Seems every time I do jumps, I am just hurting for the weekend. It is not severe but noticeable and bothersome. I did not go to my step class this morning and will not go this afternoon in fear that it will effect my skate session tonight. Did stretch before and after..may do more in a bit.

Decided I am taking the freestyle class that is with little kids...ugh! There is an adult elite (basically a freestyle class too) being offered but the day and timeframe is not good for me and the chances are that not enough adults will sign up and we will be mixed into the adult advance group. I will get better instruction. But whew it is embarrassing! There are parents, grandparents, Aunts, Uncles and a ton of spectators watching the LTS especially at the time frame I need. I will look like a giant with little ants. I had that timeframe with an adult advance class before...I am hoping I will be as successful in drowning out the crowd effect. Ahhhh for the love of skating! Will also take a second class that is the bridge program...hoping at least an older teen might be in that one. It will be humbling but that can sometimes be a good thing...giggle.

Skate@Delaware
08-25-2006, 06:20 PM
Skate@Delware: My most common error in a spin, especially a one footed one, is to drop my right shoulder when I pick up my foot. I only sometimes break at the waist when I am losing balance. I have my 2 footed spin down pretty well after I am warmed up so my coach said today that it is possible the blade is slightly off but more likely ME! She thinks if the blade were that significant it would effect the two footed spin as well. WAAAHHH! She does want me to get sharpened again first. Will decide about messing with the blade after that. Thanks for the input!
My biggest error(s) were either hunching UP my shoulders (still do that occasionally) or dropping my left shoulder (still an issue with me)....so you are NOT alone!!! Make sure you are not looking down, but if you try to look at the boards at the far side of the rink (or pick a spot far away so you keep your head level) you won't look down-bad habit!!!

And if your blade was really off, you'd notice it on your edges and 3-turns too as they'd be a devil to get!

Rob Dean
08-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Flash with the cash: Yesterday was a test session at our rink. I finished my preliminary level dances (yay!) despite some trepidation earlier in the week when I realized that not being able to see my coach for three weeks just before a session was a possible problem area. 8O Ah well, we had a good lesson concentrating on the test on Wednesday morning (with only 3 other skaters and coaches on the ice with us), and it all worked out in the end. My son also passed his preliminary moves test and dance test (so we're even at the moment), and we had a glorious practice session at the end of the day, with only a few other skaters on the ice.

Stony Broke: If I'd have posted earlier in the week, I'd have mentioned my Monday lesson--rink schedule variations left the elite dance teams short of ice this week, so they were carrying over onto the general dance session, and Monday's lesson was a near-total washout as I tried to watch all ways at once and live through it. Once past that, though, it's been a good week. Always lots to do in the next week, but that's more good than bad!

Rob

Mrs Redboots
08-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Congratulations to you and your son, Rob!

You do get used to sharing the ice with elite dancers - we have several couples at our rink! As dancers ourselves, we are quite used to joining in the queue for the step sequence!

I didn't skate this morning - too depressed, and slept badly last night.

e-skater
08-26-2006, 12:36 PM
earth[/I] are you supposed to do that 3-turn! It's simply impossible!)

Stony broke..... Had to laugh when I read the above! I'm definitely stony broke right now, getting back into dance. And I left off being....well, needing help. I have learned the steps to the Hickory....I find the end pattern swingroll where you have to be facing back up the ice again the most difficult! I actually like that 3-turn. I'm sure that will change once I start actually working on this dance, and discover the correct pattern! :twisted: :P

My stony broke comes from the "Fiesta Tangle". Being up on the hip, on the proper outside, inside, outside edge......my end pattern kind of goes on a vauge diagonal......:roll: Not to mention the anticipatory "roll over" edges on the Swing Dance......Hoping to test those two before 2009!

jazzpants
08-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Flash with the Cash

Bronze Moves are still there...check!
Spins are there! Other jumps are there....check!
Well, I landed two loops in a row...BIG CHECK!!! :DStony Broke

But couldn't land any more of them clean afterwards!!! :twisted: :frus: (Gave up after about the 7th attempt...)
No flip either! Don't know what the #$@&* is going on now... :frus:
Toe loops are there, but it's still royally toe-waltzed!!! :frus:

Hannahclear
08-26-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm pretty sure they don't care if you toe waltz. That's what my coach said. I don't do it myself, but I am quite paranoid about it. Don't worry! Just test! ;)

Emberchyld
08-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Flash with the Cash

I'm always amazed when I stop to evaluate my progress. I never really notice how far I've come until something comes along to remind me of where I was only a month ago.. or two months ago.

Still...

Stony Broke

A. It frustrates me that the powers that be don't realize that *gasp* a lot of adult *work*. Not offering adult classes at times when people on standard corporate schedules can take class seems to be a disease amongst the rinks in our region... So we're scrambling to find (or negotiate for) a class time at any rink nearby.

B. Hockey season has begun. Ice time has shrunk to nothingness. And the little hockey terrorists have taken over the ice during the public sessions (yesterday, I was taken down by one who skated backwards top speed into the public session traffic, not looking where he was going... and there was no way for me to avoid him. The way that I fell, I was lucky that I didn't break my arm... *sigh*)

Terri C
08-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Fla$h With the Ca$h:

Finally, Saturday freestyles are back at my rink. Starting next week, we will have 3 hours, yes 3 hours of freestyle time on Saturdays!!

Power threes are getting better- at least that's what I think- I'll see what Primary Coach has to say about that!! Five step mohawk is still smooth as buttah and I feel as if I'm riding on the edges!!

Stony Broke:
Spins were a battle.
Freestyle program will be interesting to re-work because of the LOC imposed WBP requirements for Halloween Classic.
Had to practice around two group numbers for this Friday's LTS show at our rink, which none of the skaters are LTS students, just regular freestyle skaters. If I have to hear "Bop Till You Drop" from High School Musical or "Don'tcha" by the Pussycat Dolls one more time I will scream!!

SkatingOnClouds
08-27-2006, 03:33 AM
Flash with cash:

I love skating !!!
I just feel so good after skating. So many things to work on, but I see every one of those things (well almost every one) getting better.
Today I got 3 revs on a camel spin in what felt like a decent position, at least it wasn't totally on the toe-pick. Jumps are going okay mostly, spins coming and going but more there than not now. And I've just having fun and enjoying it.

Stoney broke:

@&*(&@^# back spin is still a string of tiny little 3 turns instead of circles. No matter, I will persevere and one day it will click.

Mrs Redboots
08-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Stony broke..... Had to laugh when I read the above! I'm definitely stony broke right now, getting back into dance. And I left off being....well, needing help. I have learned the steps to the Fiesta....I find the end pattern swingroll where you have to be facing back up the ice again the most difficult! I actually like that 3-turn. I'm sure that will change once I start actually working on this dance, and discover the correct pattern! :twisted: :P I'm just thankful that the Hickory isn't part of our test programme, and is very seldom asked for in competition!

My stony broke comes from the "Fiesta Tangle". Being up on the hip, on the proper outside, inside, outside edge......my end pattern kind of goes on a vauge diagonal......:roll: Not to mention the anticipatory "roll over" edges on the Swing Dance......Hoping to test those two before 2009!They will be the next dances I test, as they comprise Level 4 Silver here (you have to take both of them at the same time). The end pattern on the Hickory is our nemesis - well, it's everybody's, really. It's the step to forward on to the LI edge for the restart that is my nemesis - I always seem to widestep it. I think it's partly that the Husband pulls me too far back, but not entirely.

As I seem to have started with the Stony Broke aspects of today's practice (our Fiesta is improving, but it's still not as good as I'd like it), I'll carry on! We arrived before the rink was open this morning, and then when a keyholder arrived, the lock jammed! However, he got another door open. I was amused to see that, of all the skaters waiting, it was we in our 50s who got on the ice most quickly! We then had to get off again, as whoever had cut the ice last night hadn't noticed that the Zamboni had gobbeted on to the ice when it was emptied, and there was a bit of a snowdrift, so they brought it out again to smooth out that little bit.

However, once we got started.... things continued to go badly! We did a pretty good Dutch waltz, and our Fiesta was, as I said, as good as we can get it, but that's not yet good enough. We ran through our free dance, first in bits and then the whole thing, but as the big NJS competition, which qualifies people for the "real" British Championships, is this coming week, all the elite skaters needed to do full programme runthroughs, and we do still have three more practices, if not four, before Bristol! So we didn't put our music on, although I had it on the MP3 player and counted us through it - but we still made a nonsense of where the coach changed the steps last week.

We spent what was left of the time after Husband's lesson (I worked on my dance moves mostly, and watched the elites, while that was happening) working on one particular bit of the dance - four back cross-cuts, a 3-turn, and then into 2 back crossovers and the lift, how hard can that be? Yet we simply can't get ourselves matching on it! Sheesh.....

Flash with the cash: At least the Husband can still lift me! I may be heavier than I thought I was, but I'm not actually any heavier than I was last time we practiced! And our step sequence wasn't too bad, either.

I just wish this dance was better.....

(Edited 'cos I'd written Hickory when I meant Fiesta!)

tidesong
08-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Flash with the cash:

Had a very cool two days of skating seminar so far...
The biggest thing for me was that the tech guy raised my flying sit back from the dead... 8O I hope it stays there after the seminar! :lol:

Stony broke:

Injuries abound as people attempted to lutz and butterfly into each other... I hit someone and other people hit other pple accidentally too :( Nothing too serious luckily... all the people that were hit were still skating after it.

doubletoe
08-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Stony Broke:
As of today, the freestyle sessions at my usual Sunday rink were just reduced from 3 to 2 (due to the start of hockey season), and they were so crowded they had to turn people away on the first session. And almost all of these skaters were high level skaters in panicked competition mode, since the first big competition of the season--which I'm also doing--starts this Wednesday. It was such a free-for-all I can't believe nobody got hauled away in an ambulance!
I didn't get to play my music until there was just a minute and a half left in the session, and in addition to only getting to skate 2/3 of my program, I had all 3 of the jumps in that section interrupted by skaters who were in their own little worlds (and one of them very nearly collided with me). Total insanity.

Flash the cash:
I am finally skating normally for the first time since one week ago, when I strained a muscle in my back during practice. The combination camel and flying camel spins finally came back today, as well as the double salchow (which was nowhere to be found on Friday!). Considering I have my competitoin on Thursday night, this happened just in time!

e-skater
08-28-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm just thankful that the Hickory isn't part of our test programme, and is very seldom asked for in competition!

They will be the next dances I test, as they comprise Level 4 Silver here (you have to take both of them at the same time). The end pattern on the Hickory is our nemesis - well, it's everybody's, really. It's the step to forward on to the LI edge for the restart that is my nemesis - I always seem to widestep it. I think it's partly that the Husband pulls me too far back, but not entirely.

Swing and Fiesta are in our Pre Bronze. Hickory is in Bronze, next level up.

We spent what was left of the time after Husband's lesson (I worked on my dance moves mostly, and watched the elites, while that was happening) working on one particular bit of the dance - four back cross-cuts, a 3-turn, and then into 2 back crossovers and the lift, how hard can that be? Yet we simply can't get ourselves matching on it! Sheesh.....

It can be plenty hard! I always say, if I had to partner, I'd either trip or stab whoever was skating with me! You are amazing!

Flash with the cash: At least the Husband can still lift me! I may be heavier than I thought I was, but I'm not actually any heavier than I was last time we practiced! And our step sequence wasn't too bad, either.

I just wish this dance was better.....

Good job on the lift.......and your dance *will* improve. Stick with it!

Skate@Delaware
08-28-2006, 06:15 PM
We have a little over a week until my rink re-opens for the season...when it does we will be stony broke (for a little while at least) as first payment of ice bill is due. With 3 skaters, it's a bit pricey this year.

Hubby AND daughter have been picked up by my coach (misery loves company I guess). The first question coach asked: Do you and your husband plan on skating pairs or dance right away? 8O Uh, yes for my answer, no for hubby's; but overall, no until his skills catch up. Seriously, they will love her, she is a great coach! And now I won't be her oldest student, hubby will be.

Still waiting for the call that our boots are in, but it's only been 4 weeks (and 2 of those involved the factory closing for holiday or something like that).

Terri C
08-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Stony Broke:
Today's lesson on moves validated my reasons for not going to Halloween Classic- my forward perim pattern is still not what it should be and I was totally off on the back power perim as well....but...

I was "Flash with The Cash" on power threes. Yes the right ones are still early and that did leave me a bit stony broke, but Coach commented that the power was good.

Loop is getting there- now will it show up and stay for good.
I'm also having a bit of a debate which free program to use for my Bronze free test, should I take that too. My body has forgotten some of the old program and the new program is just that, new and the choreography is a mess 'cause of all the possible adjustments I was making.