View Full Version : Just Started

Arran
08-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Hi, I have just started Ice Skating, and I am really injoying it. Didn't think I would, fell over 12 times :lol: Can anyone give me any advice or tips? And I have been told to buy some skates that are a size up from the shoe size I wear. Why is this?

icedancer2
08-20-2006, 04:15 PM
You should have your feet fitted for skates.

That being said, most people wear about a size DOWN from their normal shoe size. Skates fit VERY tight to your foot -- you would never wear them as you would casual shoes, because you need the support.

Have fun! My dad said that the first time I skated, I fell about 50 times (and that was just once around the pond!!

I must have liked it though, because I still wanted to skate!!

Arran
08-20-2006, 04:22 PM

Isk8NYC
08-21-2006, 11:58 AM
Arran, I'm moving this thread to our "On Ice - Skaters" forum. I believe that you'll get more responses in that forum than this one.

itfigures
08-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Hi Arran,
You should go to a skating store to find skates that will fit your foot! You probably don't need a pair of $200 skates but if you are very serious about this sport you might want to get a pair of recreational skates. They can be any wear arround $30 or $50. About getting comforatable on the ice, if you feel like you are going to fall put your hands on your knees. You might also want to join some groop classes, basic 1 or 2.
Hope you love skating just as much as we do!!!
~
Where do you live? So we can give you some store names.

flippet
08-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Unless you're a small kid, it's unlikely you'll find decent skates, even beginner's skates, that are actually fit to your individual foot, for $30. As an adult, you're looking at closer to $80, probably even a bit more.

$30 will buy you sports store skates, and those are rotten for anything besides the once-a-year trip to stumble around the ice for kicks.

Does your ice rink have a pro shop? That's one place to start. Another thing is to look for the best skater with the nicest skates on the ice with you--(it might even be a skate guard, depending on the session)--when you all get off the ice, ask them for suggestions for a good local place to buy skates.

doubletoe
08-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Every brand of skates is sized differently, so yes, you need to get fitted for skates. I wear a size 7-1/2 shoe but my skate boot size is 6-1/2 in the brand I wear.

Mrs Redboots
08-22-2006, 05:05 AM
Thanks :) Know anygood places I should buy Skates from?I see you're in Nottingham - go to the skate shop at the NIC for your first pair. They will be able to measure your feet and recommend a good combination beginner boot and blade for you in the right size.

And by the way, just to clear up any confusion - American and British shoe sizes are completely different, and, of course, we're moving more towards the Continental sizing anyway. I'm a size 6 or 39 here, but I think in the USA I'm about an 8 or 9! So advice about shoe sizes vs skate sizes given in one country doesn't apply in another! Or prices, either, for that matter!

Isk8NYC
08-22-2006, 09:23 AM
That's a great point, Mrs. Redboots: this board has members from all over the world. The user control panel allows members to show their location. Showing at least your country will net more relevant responses to posts.

sarahg
08-22-2006, 10:10 AM
I bought my first boots about 4 months ago from Nottingham Ice Rink shop. The ladies were very helpful and I tried on a number of different styles, and ended up buying Risport Etoiles which were the best fit for my wide feet (and slightly cheaper at £65 bonus).

I normally take a size 7 1/2 - 8 in UK sizes but I believe that my skates are only a 7, but I suggest you try on a number of different sizes and styles so that you can work out which is most comfortable. Don't worry about taking a long time, it's an important decision as you will be in those boots for many hours :roll:

sarahg
08-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Sorry for the double post but I though I should also mention that there are also a number of guys dotted around the country who sell boots, for example there is a guy in Birmingham who is a dealer for WIFA boots and a number of novices at my rink have bought the standard WIFA ones. I believe they are about £120 with blade. I think if I were to have my time over, I would probably have bought something like this as my first boot - but I went with the Risports since they were much cheaper and I didn't know how long I would stick at skating :lol: Turns out I have stuck at it and now I want the WIFA's!

Hindsight is a very useful thing ;)

If you want details for the guy in Birmingham who is the WIFA dealer just PM and I can let you know.

Arran
08-23-2006, 04:21 AM
Thanks everyone for all your help. I am next going to NIC to skate on Saturday so I will ask about getting some skates then. Thanks again