View Full Version : adult gold moves vs. intermediate moves

emma
08-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Has any one tested their adult gold moves and then moved on and done intermediate moves? How much harder were the judges once you switched over? I am taking my int. moves on Sunday and am in a panic because people have told me they are much harder an adults when they switch over from adult testing to the standard testing.

coskater64
08-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Generally, they expect you to meet the standard regardless of your age, I found the gold much easier than the intermediate, but i went back and took my gold while I was on my Novice, so I had it easier. You do need to show that you can do the test as well as a younger person and the same is true for the rest of the standard track tests. With that being said it took me 9 months to get my intermediate on the second try, I was 37 so it's very doable. Good luck I'm sure you'll do fine, read the comments from the judges carefully.If you are really worried, before the test have your coach call a judge they know and ask if they will evaluate your moves and give you an opinion on if they are near passing and what things you should focus on.

saras
08-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Has any one tested their adult gold moves and then moved on and done intermediate moves? How much harder were the judges once you switched over? I am taking my int. moves on Sunday and am in a panic because people have told me they are much harder an adults when they switch over from adult testing to the standard testing.

I took my Int a month after my Gold - but it was before the most recent changes to the Gold test, so the Gold had a back perimeter power plus whirling threes on the end pattern (Gold had the Novice BI/cross/FI threes; Int has the back power threes). It also took me a while to pass the Gold - so I was working on both at the same time - there was just one extra move for the Int. In my case, my Gold test was judged at about the same level as the Int test - they expected similar performance - but that's my local judges (they're hard on adults). Personally, I don't think that the standards are all that different - but that's for my judges.

I know several others who have passed their Int after their Gold - so fingers crossed, skate your best, and good luck!

Sara

doubletoe
08-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Don't panic. All judges are different and for all you know, you might have actually skated your Gold moves at Intermediate standard the first time you passed them. I passed my Gold moves last November and have been working on Intermediate moves since then (only an hour per week). My coach watches every test session and tells me the major difference is that at Intermediate, they expect to see the patterns executed with a fair amount of power and flow rather than just managing to squeeze through each one.

lovepairs
08-19-2006, 03:02 PM
DoubleToe is right, they want speed, power, and confidence. After I passed my Gold Moves I thought...oh, easy, same moves on both test, I'll take the Intermediat Moves right away. It's a year later and I'm testing my Intermediate Moves for the 4th time up in Lake Placid in a week. Boy, did I learn my lesson. They are two very different tests. However, just go for it. My pairs partner passed it in two tries. It's definitely doable...good luck to you tomorrow...I will be thinking about you and sending good moves vibes your way!

techskater
08-19-2006, 04:39 PM
They expect power and confidence on the Intermediate test. They expect that if you are double paneled, that you don't get passed and can keep the 1/2 ice away from the person on the other side. I passed my Intermediate in December and they wanted strong edges on the three and brackets as well.