View Full Version : British Adult Championships - who's going?

Mrs Redboots
08-16-2006, 06:48 AM
Bearing in mind that entries close this Friday at 5:30 pm - who is going and who's doing what?

We're doing Couples Dance - Elementary, age group 2, as usual and, for the first time, Husband is doing Free skating, also Elementary, but age group 3 as there are 3 age groups in the Free!

kateskate
08-16-2006, 08:00 AM
I'll be there! Looking forward to it

I'm doing intermediate free skating age category 1 and intermediate solo dance age category 1

I was going to do interpretive but its expensive, time ran out to choreograph a programme and I have plenty of other things to practise. I have done all 3 - free, dance and interpretive for the last 2 years though so its odd to be only doing two.

There are about 4 or 5 others from my rink competing too. One in elementary free skating age category 1, two in elementary solo dance age category 1 and one in age category 2, and one in advanced solo dance age category 2.

I'm up a level in free and dance this year so not expecting too much.......

sk8inincircles
08-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Hi

Can i just ask what kind of elements are done in elementary free skating?

Not going i was just wondering. Was considering going next year then i checked the age requirements and realised i am too young yet. lol.

kateskate
08-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Hi

Can i just ask what kind of elements are done in elementary free skating?

Not going i was just wondering. Was considering going next year then i checked the age requirements and realised i am too young yet. lol.

Class 4A: ELEMENTARY: Maximum Standard Level 2 Free and Elements

Requirements: A free skating programme of 1 ˝ minutes +/- 5 seconds
A well balanced programme containing a variety of jumps, spins and connecting steps. One straight line step sequence. Only single jumps permitted. (No Axels). No double jumps or flying spins permitted. Jump combinations /sequence are permitted. (max. 2)

Those are the requirements for elementary free skating.

Range of standards enter from those doing everything up to lutz to those doing up to maybe a loop.

sk8inincircles
08-16-2006, 10:02 AM
Range of standards enter from those doing everything up to lutz to those doing up to maybe a loop.

Thanks, that's what i was after. What about spins?

kateskate
08-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks, that's what i was after. What about spins?

Again, quite a variety. Some can do upright, sit, camel, backspins and combinations of those but I've seen some doing upright and sit or only upright.
You say you are too young. How old are you? I thankfully have never been too young for adult competitions having started at 21 but I'm too young for adult worlds, which I would really love to do. Something to work for I guess……

sk8inincircles
08-16-2006, 10:35 AM
You say you are too young. How old are you?

I'm 19. i originally thought that adult competitions started at 18yrs but obviously not. Maybe in a couple of yrs time...

kateskate
08-16-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm 19. i originally thought that adult competitions started at 18yrs but obviously not. Maybe in a couple of yrs time...

Some do but the British Adult has been 21 and over for a couple of years. Not sure why.

Mrs Redboots
08-16-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm up a level in free and dance this year so not expecting too much.......And if you get your Level 6 compulsory dances this winter, you'll be in Advanced next year! Don't forget, you led the field at Bracknell, certainly in the compulsories....

BatikatII
08-16-2006, 12:43 PM
I'll be there but now only to watch - not sure if I'll come up both days but will certainly be there for the freeskating since at least 3 others from the rink will be competing.

My back is responding well to chiropractic treatment but still not a good idea to even be thinking about going on the ice again for at least the next few weeks and I just don't think I could be fit enough to compete for several months. Guess I won't be competing again til next year's Bracknell Adult open.

Still - I'll be there to cheer everyone on.

samba
08-17-2006, 12:25 AM
I hope to be there, I have put in an application in the hope that I will be able to make it on the day but may have a problem due to a lack of ice and like baticatII - a back problem, was supposed to go to another rink to-day but coach's baby isnt well so I have missed out again :cry:

Get well soon BaticatII, hope to see you there.

Grace

chantelly
08-18-2006, 12:01 PM
I really wish I could but skating has had to take a back seat at the minute as my partner left me and the 2 children a month ago which knocked me sideways as you can imagine! I'll be back on track soon though let me know how you all get on! xx

Mrs Redboots
08-18-2006, 12:26 PM
I really wish I could but skating has had to take a back seat at the minute as my partner left me and the 2 children a month ago which knocked me sideways as you can imagine! I'll be back on track soon though let me know how you all get on! xxOh, Chantelle, how horrid for you. I am sorry! Will you be at Bristol, or have you had to withdraw from there, too?

chantelly
08-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Nope no Bristol for me either, I have no one to have the children now. I'll be back soon though watch this space! xx

NickiT
08-18-2006, 04:50 PM
I'll be there! I posted my application over two weeks ago since I've been away and just got back last night. Haven't skated in three weeks but hopefully by the the end of September I'll be back on form! Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Nicki

Clare
08-18-2006, 04:59 PM
I'll be there but now only to watch - not sure if I'll come up both days but will certainly be there for the freeskating since at least 3 others from the rink will be competing.

I'm hoping to come along and watch too, depending on the schedule. It will be the first time I've attended an event like this and I had to ask Mrs Redboots if non-competing folk could come along - that's how clueless I was!!

Clare

BatikatII
08-18-2006, 06:16 PM
I'm hoping to come along and watch too, depending on the schedule. It will be the first time I've attended an event like this and I had to ask Mrs Redboots if non-competing folk could come along - that's how clueless I was!!

Clare

Hi Clare - hope to meet you there. Are you planning to watch both days? Have you just recently started skating? I will be cheering on all the Bracknell skaters I hope (I'll be the one who keeps getting up to walk around the rink and straighten my back out!). I would have been competing in elementary freeskating class 2 so will definitely be watching that one and hope to come along for the dance day too.

Good luck to all those who are competing and hopefully I will be back on the ice next year.

Chantelly So sorry to hear your news. Hope you manage to get everything back on track soon and can get back on the ice - it is the best therapy.

Clare
08-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi Clare - hope to meet you there. Are you planning to watch both days? Have you just recently started skating? I will be cheering on all the Bracknell skaters I hope (I'll be the one who keeps getting up to walk around the rink and straighten my back out!). I would have been competing in elementary freeskating class 2 so will definitely be watching that one and hope to come along for the dance day too.

I only started skating at the beginning of May so am very new! I would like to try and get there both days if possible, certainly for the dance to see Mr and Mrs Redboots strutting their stuff :)

I'm really sorry to hear you can't compete and hope your back heals soon :) I shall indeed look out for your regular back stretching walks around the rink!

Clare

Sonic
08-18-2006, 06:28 PM
I'd like to come and watch if I can. Could someone remind me of the dates?

S xxx

Clare
08-18-2006, 06:29 PM
I'd like to come and watch if I can. Could someone remind me of the dates?

I think it's Sept 30th/Oct 1st. Can anyone correct me if that's wrong?

Clare

Sonic
08-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Thanx Clare.

S xxx

Mrs Redboots
08-19-2006, 07:36 AM
By the way, Clare, there will be three Streatham couples competing in Elementary Dance, so we'll need you to cheer for all of us!

Clare
08-19-2006, 09:24 AM
By the way, Clare, there will be three Streatham couples competing in Elementary Dance, so we'll need you to cheer for all of us!

I'm sure I can manage that :)

Clare

samba
08-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi guys

Names are up on the NISA Wesite:

http://www.iceskating.org.uk/adultskating/events.cfm

Cheers
Grace

BelleOnIce
08-23-2006, 04:06 PM
Hi all, Iv not been on in a while as I started a new job working 9-5 eurgh its terrible I was too used to being a student!!
Anyway I will be at British Adults this year skating in 4C age category 1- still never managed to do my programme right through though so will be spending every weekend and possible evening at the rink trying to get it sorted!!

Im excited though, I havent entered a competition in years I hope my nerves are alot calmer now than they used to be!!

Belle x

samba
08-24-2006, 12:55 AM
Hi Bell

I hope to see you there, I am on the opposite end of the scale in the oldest that they get group or as Mrs Redboots calls it "till death group", I havent skated for about 5 weeks now because the rink has had problems, rink is now being refurbished and we still dont have a rock solid date for re-opening, so if I do go it will certainly be a challenge for that and other reasons that I wont bore you with.

Cheers
Samba

Mrs Redboots
08-24-2006, 04:48 AM
the oldest that they get group or as Mrs Redboots calls it "till death group",Not original on my part; forget who first coined it - someone on these forums, I think.

Clare
08-25-2006, 07:37 AM
Could anyone tell me which day is dance please?

Clare

samba
08-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Could anyone tell me which day is dance please?

Clare

Hi Clare

Nothing yet, they usually tell you by post.

It would appear that photos and videos have to be pre-ordered and paid up front prior to the competition, unless of course I am not understanding it correctly, what does anyone else think?

NickiT
08-25-2006, 10:38 AM
It would appear that photos and videos have to be pre-ordered and paid up front prior to the competition, unless of course I am not understanding it correctly, what does anyone else think?

Thanks for that Samba. That's strange since we've never had to pre-order from Graham Taylor before and I notice the price of a CD Rom has increased since Bracknell. Still I don't get many photos of me so I'll be ordering. I'm usually happy with his results - just wish he could make me look thinner!!!

Nicki

samba
08-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Hi Nicki

Maybe its because of the low turn-out, and please get your eyes tested you are NOT FAT!! (meant in the best possible way)

Cheers
Samba

NickiT
08-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Hi Nicki

Maybe its because of the low turn-out, and please get your eyes tested you are NOT FAT!! (meant in the best possible way)

Cheers
Samba

Oh I am! I was horrified when I saw my Bracknell photos. They say the camera never lies8O !

Yep there aren't that many going to the British. Maybe if not many people want photos he won't go. Or maybe he won't capture those skaters who haven't pre-ordered. It must be a painstaking task sitting there capturing everyone only to have nobody purchase anything.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
08-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Well, some of my photos are pretty horrendous, too. And talking of fat - I've just bought some new bathroom scales, as mine had demised, and they are telling me I've only lost about 4 lbs, instead of the 50 or 60 my other pair said I had..... Very Deep Sigh; I've got it all to do again now!

samba
08-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Well, some of my photos are pretty horrendous, too. And talking of fat - I've just bought some new bathroom scales, as mine had demised, and they are telling me I've only lost about 4 lbs, instead of the 50 or 60 my other pair said I had..... Very Deep Sigh; I've got it all to do again now!

Sounds a bit odd, has the other half tried them?

Mrs Redboots
08-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Sounds a bit odd, has the other half tried them?He has now, and they make him weigh about a stone and a half more than he thought, but even that would make me still be overweight.

Sigh.

NickiT
08-25-2006, 02:54 PM
He has now, and they make him weigh about a stone and a half more than he thought, but even that would make me still be overweight.

Sigh.

If it's any consolation I've got a very mean set of scales too. I know because my hubby weighs in at his judo club at the end of a session (one of those rituals they do in judo!) and then comes home and checks his weight on ours, and ours invariably weigh him a good two kilos more.

Nicki

samba
08-25-2006, 03:39 PM
My other half got so fed up with me weighing myself all the time that once he totally dismantled the scales and threw them in the bin, I wasnt allowed a replacement until many years later, now I'm back to weighing myself every time I visit the bathroom.:roll:

sceptique
09-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Oh I am! I was horrified when I saw my Bracknell photos. They say the camera never lies8O !

Yep there aren't that many going to the British. Maybe if not many people want photos he won't go. Or maybe he won't capture those skaters who haven't pre-ordered. It must be a painstaking task sitting there capturing everyone only to have nobody purchase anything.

Nicki

Guys -

since I'm not skating in your group I will be happy to take pictures and will send them to you free of charge. I'm trying to get as much photo practice as I can.

samba
09-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Guys -

since I'm not skating in your group I will be happy to take pictures and will send them to you free of charge. I'm trying to get as much photo practice as I can.

What an incredibly generous offer, many thanks sceptique and I'm sure non of us will see you out of pocket for it. Look forward to seeing you and the rest of the gang there.

Samba

Mrs Redboots
09-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Guys -

since I'm not skating in your group I will be happy to take pictures and will send them to you free of charge. I'm trying to get as much photo practice as I can.Yes please! Thank you so much - and don't feel you have to print them out, I'm sure most of us can do that at home.

NickiT
09-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Guys -

That would be great! Thanks!

Nicki

kateskate
09-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Hi guys

Names are up on the NISA Wesite:

Cheers
Grace

Good to see that there are more entries this year. Especially in free skating. My group is a little scary! I'll do well not to come last! But its all good practice. And maybe this will encourage some clubs to have more adult competitions......

NickiT
09-05-2006, 02:31 AM
Good to see that there are more entries this year. Especially in free skating. My group is a little scary! I'll do well not to come last! But its all good practice. And maybe this will encourage some clubs to have more adult competitions......

Oh Kate. You won't come last! You're a beautiful skater! Don't be so daft!

Nicki

kateskate
09-05-2006, 04:18 AM
Oh Kate. You won't come last! You're a beautiful skater! Don't be so daft!

Nicki

Not being daft - just realistic. But thank you :) I won't mind coming last or near the bottom as long as I skate well. The other girls in my group are all very strong skaters.

BelleOnIce
09-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Hi,

does anyone know the timetable yet for skating? I need to book flights down and well it would be helpful to know when I am skating!
Hopefully I will be skating, last night I landed on my arm and the doc thinks there may be a fracture that is not visable in the xray but it's all strapped up and I have to go back in two weeks so hopefully it will have started to heal well by then and I can do the comp! Means I wont get much practise but I really just want to skate, Im not expecting to be a high place anyway!

Belle x

Mrs Redboots
09-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Nothing's on the NISA site as yet; they usually post it once details have been sent to the skaters. What are the Edinburgh lot doing in terms of flying down and staying somewhere?

Sorry to hear about your arm - hope it stops hurting soon!

Mrs Redboots
09-18-2006, 06:54 AM
I've sent PMs to people, but I'm sure I'm going to forget someone so am posting it as well:

A competitor told me last night that he'd telephoned NISA to try to get some indication as to the timetable so he could tell his friends, relations and rabbits when to come and watch. Allegedly they were going to get it out on Friday, yes right! So they didn't, but it should be this week.

Apparently, like last year, the couples' dance & the free skating will be on the Saturday and the solo dance on the Sunday. I have no indication as to timings at all.

NickiT
09-18-2006, 07:37 AM
I've sent PMs to people, but I'm sure I'm going to forget someone so am posting it as well:

A competitor told me last night that he'd telephoned NISA to try to get some indication as to the timetable so he could tell his friends, relations and rabbits when to come and watch. Allegedly they were going to get it out on Friday, yes right! So they didn't, but it should be this week.

Apparently, like last year, the couples' dance & the free skating will be on the Saturday and the solo dance on the Sunday. I have no indication as to timings at all.

They are leaving it a bit late given some people need to make arrangements to travel/stay etc. It would also be nice to know if we get some practice ice too. Hopefully we'll get to hear soon.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
09-18-2006, 07:38 AM
The timetable is now posted. It can't be downloaded if you use Firefox - you have to open the page in an Internet Explorer tab & download from there. It has no file name extension (it is, in fact, a spreadsheet).

These problems are surmountable, however, what isn't is that the front page says, as scheduled, that everything except the solo dance is on the Saturday, and the solo dance is on the Sunday - but the second page has this the wrong way round......

2loop2loop
09-18-2006, 08:14 AM
The timetable is now posted. It can't be downloaded if you use Firefox - you have to open the page in an Internet Explorer tab & download from there. It has no file name extension (it is, in fact, a spreadsheet).

These problems are surmountable, however, what isn't is that the front page says, as scheduled, that everything except the solo dance is on the Saturday, and the solo dance is on the Sunday - but the second page has this the wrong way round......

Maybe they've changed it, but I got an excel document with just the timetable on it, solo dance scheduled for Saturday and everything else for Sunday. Is that wrong? I hope not, I was quite pleased to see the freeskating is on Sunday as I don't get to skate much during the week and it will be useful to have Saturday to practice.

John

NickiT
09-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Aaaaaarghhh...my husband's going to kill me! I was pretty adamant the free skating would be on Saturday and told him so. However it's on Sunday and clashes with his judo tournament. Dammit.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
09-18-2006, 08:46 AM
Maybe they've changed it, but I got an excel document with just the timetable on it, solo dance scheduled for Saturday and everything else for Sunday. Is that wrong? I hope not, I was quite pleased to see the freeskating is on Sunday as I don't get to skate much during the week and it will be useful to have Saturday to practice.

JohnYes, I got that when I e-mailed Laura Hallam, so obviously there's something else on at Lee Valley on the Saturday afternoon. Bother, doesn't suit me quite so well.... but still do-able.

Mrs Redboots
09-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Have had a further look at the timetable - it's a complete nonsense! They've scheduled resurfaces in, but allowed no time for them..... someone else please e-mail them, I'll make myself unpopular if I go on wailing at them.....

BelleOnIce
09-18-2006, 01:14 PM
There's 20 minutes allocated for each resurface in the timetable I got off the N.I.S.A site. I opened it in firefox, well downloaded and then selected to open with exel. Maybe the one Laura sent you wasn't a completed one?

Belle x

Mrs Redboots
09-19-2006, 08:18 AM
I don't think it can have been - the printed copy arrived in the post this morning and the timings on that make sense!

So we are skating on the Sunday at 13:01, 13:53 and 17:19, and the Husband's free comes in the middle of that, at 16:12. At least he'll have time to change and listen to his music.

What day/time is anybody else skating?

kateskate
09-19-2006, 08:28 AM
I'm there both days. 9.44, 12.13 and 15.30 on the Saturday and 11.06 on the Sunday according to the timetable on the website when I last checked.

Now to figure out how I am going to get to Lee Valley…..

Mrs Redboots
09-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Now to figure out how I am going to get to Lee Valley…..Try the TfL journey planner (http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en), which can be a bit weird and wonderful, but which does give some ideas to start from! Incidentally, the printed timetables arrived in the post this morning, and included a map of the Lee Valley Park, which helps, too. And if I remember rightly, there's a huge car park.

BatikatII
09-19-2006, 10:12 AM
The main problem with Lee Valley apart from not being a full size rink is the problem of finding something decent to eat. I'm not over fond of rink food and Lee Valley's isn't the best.

When my daughter competed there we set off up the road in the car to find somewhere to eat and travelled miles along the road til we eventually came to a place with lots of kebab houses and what turned out to be an excellent Chinese - huge portions at a reasonable price. That was turning left out of the rink.

turning right (and walkable if necessary) you come to a couple of pubs. The first one on the river is OK if it is a nice day and you can sit outside but inside is not up to much at all. The other one looked even grottier so we didnt' even try it. Not sure if you come to anything more promising if you take the car and drive right out of the rink.

Does anyone know?

you certainly don't get the excellent food we had at Sheffield (even if the service was a little slow)

Dont expect nice changing rooms either - there's a boot area that is very open and when we there we were told there was a changing room through a very unpromising looking door which appeared to lead to a cleaners cupboard. The only other door appeared to be locked and we never did find a way in.

As for the loos - just don't go there - urrgggghhh! and I thought Bracknell was bad!

I dont' know if the signage and helpers will be more clued up for the championships but for the open there, it was impossible to find anything out and there were no gate stewards.

Hmmm - thinnk I'm glad I am not actually competing this year - it's certainly not the same standard as you find at Sheffield or Nottingham.

Clare
09-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Try the TfL journey planner (http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en), which can be a bit weird and wonderful, but which does give some ideas to start from! Incidentally, the printed timetables arrived in the post this morning, and included a map of the Lee Valley Park, which helps, too. And if I remember rightly, there's a huge car park.

Would anyone happen to have any idea how long of a walk it is from Clapton station? I have visions of wandering aimlessly through East London and never actually finding the rink!!

Clare

Mrs Redboots
09-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Map here (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=535250&y=186750&z=1&sv=535250,186750&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&ax=534873&ay=186126). Doesn't look too far - ten minutes' walk, maybe?

frbskate63
09-21-2006, 02:53 PM
As for the loos - just don't go there - urrgggghhh! and I thought Bracknell was bad!

I did a synchro competition there once, where we were allocated the Gents as our changing room! Between 12 of us, and we had to keep barring the door against people who wanted to come in and use them!!!

Grim didn't describe it.

Fiona

samba
09-22-2006, 05:05 AM
Hi guys

Just to let you know that I am out of the running next week, the back has finally caught up with me, the doc has signed me off and worse still, banned me from driving, all in all I have had a horrible year health wise, just hope next year is better and we can meet up again.

The best of luck to everyone.

Grace

Mrs Redboots
09-22-2006, 05:55 AM
I did a synchro competition there once, where we were allocated the Gents as our changing room! Between 12 of us, and we had to keep barring the door against people who wanted to come in and use them!!!

Grim didn't describe it.

FionaI haven't actually skated there, only watched the year Team Challenge was held there - Husband was dancing with someone else (long story) in the Adult Dance category. But nobody commented on the changing-rooms as far as I remember.... and I'm sure I must have used the loos, knowing me, but have no specific memories.

Rink food is always vile - I've never met a rink that realises its users are athletes! I shall bring a packed lunch, I think.

Just to let you know that I am out of the running next week,Which is very sad, and we will miss you. I am still keeping my fingers crossed that our rink's no 1 couple, who had to withdraw from Bristol, are going to be able to skate - she says she'll decide next week, but her knee does seem to be healing, so we are hopeful.

BatikatII
09-22-2006, 06:17 AM
I haven't actually skated there, only watched the year Team Challenge was held there - Husband was dancing with someone else (long story) in the Adult Dance category. But nobody commented on the changing-rooms as far as I remember.... .

probably because there weren't any! Our team had to change in either the vile loos or just in the open boot room area. Believe me it was bad!

Rink food is always vile - I've never met a rink that realises its users are athletes! I shall bring a packed lunch, I think.

Sheffield food was great and Nottingham isnt' bad and even Bracknell has the occasional decent bit of food in the cafe as well as a proper restaurant which is normally opened for events such as major competitions.

I don't think Lee Valley has anything other than chips and stuff like that.

samba
09-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Maybe they will make an extra effort as its probably the first time this rink has run a BAC, they may just pull all the stops out. Well I hope they do, it would be a shame to see this big event fade away as it appears to be doing.

2loop2loop
09-22-2006, 08:13 AM
Maybe they will make an extra effort as its probably the first time this rink has run a BAC, they may just pull all the stops out. Well I hope they do, it would be a shame to see this big event fade away as it appears to be doing.

Why do you say it is fading away? I know the rink is not exactly Sheffield standard, but the entries seem to be much higher this year and there seemed to be signs last year that NISA were getting their act together on the organisational side.

John

BatikatII
09-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Why do you say it is fading away? I know the rink is not exactly Sheffield standard, but the entries seem to be much higher this year and there seemed to be signs last year that NISA were getting their act together on the organisational side.

John

Well for one thing Lee Valley is not exactly a top rink in this country - not even full size. last year at Sheffield we had no photographer. ( my chance for a podium shot at championships and no photographer - not fair)

At one of the Sheffield events we had a proper kiss and cry and were given water after our skates - had decent cups and medals and a proper photographer and it felt like a proper competition. The next year nothing - not even a photographer and then this year moved to Lee Valley. Even with a photographer this year, it feels like it is being taken less seriously, though I hope that is not the case.

i know ther is a photographer thsi year but not beign held at

NickiT
09-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Hi guys

Just to let you know that I am out of the running next week, the back has finally caught up with me, the doc has signed me off and worse still, banned me from driving, all in all I have had a horrible year health wise, just hope next year is better and we can meet up again.

The best of luck to everyone.

Grace

Oh no. I'm really sorry to hear that Grace. I hope your back improves very soon.

As for the championships, am I the only one still awating my details through the post? My name's up on the website so I'm not unduly worried but it would be nice to get the stuff through the post.

I agree in that it just seems that the BAC isn't being taken seriously this year. Nothing against Lee Valley but I feel that for a national championship we should at least be using a full size rink. There seems to be no practice ice scheduled either so those of us who skate on full size rinks have just 2.5 minutes on the ice before we compete in which to make the necessary adjustments to enable our programmes/dances to fit.

To add insult to injury my husband who is a competitive judoka, gets the regular judo magazine and there's a huge advert in there for some judo championship........Where? At Ice Sheffield of course. So I feel a bit put-out that a judo championship can be hosted there but not our adult championship.

I can't help but feel that NISA just don't take us adults seriously which is a huge shame. Kids come and go but us adults stick around and we deserve to be treated just as seriously as the kids.

Nicki

max
09-22-2006, 09:56 AM
To add insult to injury my husband who is a competitive judoka, gets the regular judo magazine and there's a huge advert in there for some judo championship........Where? At Ice Sheffield of course. So I feel a bit put-out that a judo championship can be hosted there but not our adult championship.

The difference is that the judo will pay for using the facility. It also doesn't require iceSheffield to provide any volunteers which we are now struggling with due to the number of events that we have held over the last couple of years. I understand Nottingham are having similar problems with volunteers. The trouble is that for those of us with children competing or indeed competing ourselves (not me!), we have time off for competitions, tests and then you add the NISA events and our annual holidays have disappeared and we haven't enough time left to run our own Club events.

I am sure that Lee Valley will try to accommodate you and make it a special weekend. I know the NISA Cup apparently went very well there.

Skate well all of you!

Mrs Redboots
09-22-2006, 10:31 AM
The difference is that the judo will pay for using the facility. It also doesn't require iceSheffield to provide any volunteers which we are now struggling with due to the number of events that we have held over the last couple of years. <snip>
Skate well all of you!Thanks, Max. The thing is, of course, the year you organised the BAC, it was fabulous - really great, and then last year it felt like it wasn't being taken seriously at all. You even managed a team of flower-girls (even if they did eat all the judges' sandwiches!)! Last year, it felt like "just another Open", and they rushed us on to the ice and off again so fast that it was running an hour early by the end of the day! We didn't exactly feel welcome..... although, to be fair, there were great on-ice presentations at the end of both days.

But I'm not surprised that you are having trouble getting volunteers - that's the trouble with being at one of the two major ice venues in the country, it must feel like One Thing After Another.

I'm sure Lee Valley will do a good job for us; and for those who are coming as spectators, as I remember, there are loads of seats!

samba
09-22-2006, 11:06 AM

John

Oh I do hope you are right John, I guess I am only going by my age and standard, in my first in 2003 there were 6-8 people in it, 2004 saw 6 people, 2005 saw 4 and this year only 3 which unfortunately through my own fault is down to 2.

I agree Annabel and BatikatII, the year of the flower girls/boys at Sheffield was great, made us all feel very important.

samba
09-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Oh no. I'm really sorry to hear that Grace. I hope your back improves very soon.

Thanks Nicki I'm sure it will improve it's just gone wrong at the wrong time.

As for the championships, am I the only one still awating my details through the post? My name's up on the website so I'm not unduly worried but it would be nice to get the stuff through the post.

Try e-mailing Laura Hallam at NISA she could probably e-mail them straight to you, I have found her very helpful.
laura.hallam@iceskating.org.uk

Cheers
Grace

NickiT
09-22-2006, 03:53 PM
The difference is that the judo will pay for using the facility. It also doesn't require iceSheffield to provide any volunteers which we are now struggling with due to the number of events that we have held over the last couple of years. I understand Nottingham are having similar problems with volunteers. The trouble is that for those of us with children competing or indeed competing ourselves (not me!), we have time off for competitions, tests and then you add the NISA events and our annual holidays have disappeared and we haven't enough time left to run our own Club events.

I am sure that Lee Valley will try to accommodate you and make it a special weekend. I know the NISA Cup apparently went very well there.

Skate well all of you!

Yes I guessed it was for those reasons. Just seems weird that hubby will be competing at judo at an ice rink! I also appreciate how much organisation the BAC involves and volunteers are always few and far between. If it's anything like our Opens, it's invariably the same people year after year, so yep I can understand that it's time someone else took a turn to host the championships. Let's hope Lee Valley do us proud.

Nicki

NickiT
09-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks Nicki I'm sure it will improve it's just gone wrong at the wrong time.

Try e-mailing Laura Hallam at NISA she could probably e-mail them straight to you, I have found her very helpful.
laura.hallam@iceskating.org.uk

Cheers
Grace

Thanks for that Grace. If it doesn't come tomorrow I may well do that. Was there anything in there that I needed to read? I've seen the timetable so I know what time I'm skating.

Nicki

kateskate
09-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks for that Grace. If it doesn't come tomorrow I may well do that. Was there anything in there that I needed to read? I've seen the timetable so I know what time I'm skating.

Nicki

Nothing extra in the info sent in the post really. It had the timetable and photo and DVD order forms and a map.

Covering letter on stated what was included, reminded us that only CDs are acceptable and that our passes can be collected on the day.

samba
09-23-2006, 02:20 AM
I have just noticed that my name has been removed on the who's skating list, how efficient is that. I'm impressed so far having stuff on the website has certainly helped this year, maybe this year is going to be the best, fingers crossed.

Gosh you can tell I'm bored I have put in 6 answers so far to various posts this morning, probably a record for me, and I'm the only one signed in at the moment, hello, anyone there? I guess you are all frantically skating for next week.

NickiT
09-23-2006, 03:28 AM
Nothing extra in the info sent in the post really. It had the timetable and photo and DVD order forms and a map.

Covering letter on stated what was included, reminded us that only CDs are acceptable and that our passes can be collected on the day.

Thanks for that. Has anyone pre-ordered their photos? It just seems a bit risky given that we may not choose to buy them when we see them. I guess you don't have to pre-order, but can buy afterwards like we usually do.

Nicki

samba
09-23-2006, 03:35 AM
Oh good a few more people, hi Nicki!!!

I can only guess also that you will probably be able to order later.

Come to think of it like Kateskate said there isnt anything different in the post to what is on the web, that I can remember.

sceptique
09-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Does anyone know if there will be patch ice before the competition and what time does it start?

NickiT
09-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Does anyone know if there will be patch ice before the competition and what time does it start?

It doesn't look like any practice ice has been laid on for us which I feel is a bit poor. Those of us who train on full-size rinks could use a bit of practice time on the rink which we are competing on. Whether there is regular early morning patch ice I don't know.

Nicki