View Full Version : another silly question

sk8_4fun
08-16-2006, 04:10 AM
:?? what is stroking (In skating terms, no smart answers please *guffaw*) I see it mentioned alot in the threads but I dont know what it means???
sorry to be so ignorant but I' a relative newcomer........

AndreaUK
08-16-2006, 05:48 AM
Hi

Stroking is skating. It can be done forewards and backwards.

For example. If you are skating forwards, you will push off on your right leg then bring it to run parallell with the other skating foot. Then you will alternate to the other side and then allow your skates to run parallell again.

The action of the foot should be similar to switching a light switch on and off. Its a gentle move and one of the first things you will learn.

Mrs Redboots
08-16-2006, 06:43 AM
Just to expand on Andrea's excellent answer, you will normally be pushing on to outside edges, your first edge curving away from the straight line you are progressing on, and the other foot bringing you back to the line. This is true of both forwards and backwards.

And you have to remember every body part at once - feet together, knees bent, extend your free leg (behind you if you are going forwards, in front of you if you're going backwards), point your toes, make sure you are looking ahead of you, not at the ice, make sure your shoulders are relaxed down and back, your arms extended sideways from your body at about waist height with the palms of your hands facing towards the ice..... And even then, your coach will complain about something, because that's what coaches do!

Most skaters do a lap or to of stroking to warm themselves up when they first step on to the ice.

sk8_4fun
08-16-2006, 07:06 AM
thanks! it seems I've been doing it already- I didn't realize that was what it was called!!!!!( stoooopid!) :frus:

Mrs Redboots
08-16-2006, 12:31 PM
thanks! it seems I've been doing it already- I didn't realize that was what it was called!!!!!( stoooopid!) :frus:"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!" How were you to know......:?:

Sonic
08-16-2006, 12:35 PM
"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!" How were you to know......:?:

Hear, hear!

S xxx