View Full Version : How Many Lessons Do You Have in a Week as an Adult Skater Meaning 25+

rf3ray
08-15-2006, 07:40 AM
For myself I have 4 - 5 Lessons a week
4 of them Individual and 1 for an hour as a group lessons on Advance footwork and edges. Just wondering what you guys do? or how many lessons you get for an adult

sarahg
08-15-2006, 07:43 AM
Wow - that's a lot! I have one 30 minute private lesson and then a 15 minute lesson that I share with 2 other adults who are around my level. Occasionally I add in a private 15 minute lesson just to focus on dance, but that depends on my finances :roll:

Scarlett
08-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Wow! How do you fit that in with the rest of your life? I take one, sometimes 2 lessons a week. If I am lucky, I can fit in 3 days of skating a week. Frequently, my schedule is so packed I can only skate once a week.

VegasGirl
08-15-2006, 07:53 AM
Started with 1 group lesson (30 minutes instruction + 30 Minutes practice time) a week... a couple months later added a 30 minute private lesson to prepare for a competition... ended up keeping that private lesson and did this for a year and a half. Then I switched rinks to follow my coach. The new rink didn't offer adult group lessons so instead I just continued with the 30 minute private lesson per week and added three 2 hour (or was it 1 1/2 hours, can't remember) practice sessions to that... kept that schedule for about half a year.
After that we moved out of state and once I found a rink here I started my new schedule of 1 1/2 hour practice sessions twice a week. Would love to add lessons again as I'm getting bored just practicing what I already know (and miss having someone check to see if I'm doing it right) but coaches that are familiar with the ISI program aren't available at the rink and at this point I'm not willing to make the switch to USFSA yet.

TimDavidSkate
08-15-2006, 07:58 AM
:halo: once every 3 months

Debbie S
08-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Usually I just have 1 lesson a week. Sometimes I have an additional lesson with the coach who choreographed my program if a competition is coming up. I try to skate 3 times a week, so I try to schedule the lessons (if I'm having 2) on different days; recently, though, I had to have them back to back on the same session - that was interesting - lol. One was 20 minutes of FS elements and run-throughs, and the next was 20 minutes of moves - I had quite a workout! :)

At one point, when I was with a different coach, I had 2 lessons a week - 1 on FS and 1 on moves with a secondary coach. I've thought about adding an additional lesson but I decided that, at least for now, I'd rather not spend any more money on skating than I currently do, but that might change at some point. ;)

I think you can be fine with just one lesson a week as long as you remember to incorporate your coach's corrections when you practice elements and are diligent about going through everything. Much of my "block" to acquiring new skills is mental, anyway, so for me, it's important to just practice, practice, practice.

Mrs Redboots
08-15-2006, 08:10 AM
For myself I have 4 - 5 Lessons a week
4 of them Individual and 1 for an hour as a group lessons on Advance footwork and edges. Just wondering what you guys do? or how many lessons you get for an adultHow do you manage to practice, though? We were taught, when we were starting out, that in an ideal world you do two hours' practice for every 15 minutes' worth of lesson. Not that we can do that much, but we do probably manage an hour's worth most weeks. Or at worst, an hour's worth per 30 minute lesson.

We each have two lessons, one solo and one joint, although his solo lesson is only 15 minutes.

Laura H
08-15-2006, 08:29 AM
I'd love to do more, but time/finances usually limit me to 1 group lesson per week (with 3 other skaters who are about the same level as me) plus 1 to 1 1/2 hours of practice . . . if I'm really lucky I get to skate 1-2 more times during the week - but that's more the exception then the norm!!

Sonic
08-15-2006, 08:31 AM
Wow rf3ray - that must cost lol!

[When my foot isn't playing up], I have one 15 minute ice dance and one 15 minute free skate lessson per week

S xxx

Hannahclear
08-15-2006, 08:41 AM
2 lessons per week, 2 coaches, 30 minutes per lesson. One for moves, one for freestyle.

I skate about 3 hours per week or a bit less, so I don't have the perfect ratio. But adult skaters are used to dealing with less than ideal training circumstances.

blue111moon
08-15-2006, 08:48 AM
Generally, it's 1 20-min. figures/Moves lesson and one 40-min. free skating lesson a week. I skate between four and six hours a week total.

phoenix
08-15-2006, 09:01 AM
2 lessons a week, totalling 1 hour. I'd like to try & add another 15 minutes this winter, but don't know if I can afford it.

flying~camel
08-15-2006, 09:04 AM
Currently, I get 1, 10-15 min FS/moves lesson a week and I skate 2 days a week.

Skate@Delaware
08-15-2006, 10:32 AM
Last year I took ice dance also AND had a 30-minute group lesson. This year I'm ditching the ice dance and group and contemplating power skating instead (it's a 45 minute class). I will also have a 30-minute private lesson for moves/freestyle elements.

Last year I practiced about 10-15 hours or so but it was for freestyle, moves, ice dance, competition routine, and show stuff.

This year I should be able to cut it down to 8-10 hours a week for freestyle, power, testing moves, and show stuff (plus competition routines).

froggy
08-15-2006, 12:10 PM
1 lesson a week sometimes 2 if our schedules work out, each lesson is 30 min. i skate 3-4x/week around 2 hours each time.

PattyP
08-15-2006, 12:52 PM
I have 3 - 20 minutes lessons per week and only skate 4-5 hours per week.

I like breaking it up in smaller time slots so that I can practice after my lesson. My work schedule prohibits me from skating more than 1 hour at a time...and lately my body does too! :roll:

doubletoe
08-15-2006, 01:03 PM
I have two 30-minute freestyle lessons per week and I also have a 20-minute MIF lesson every other week. I skate 6-7 hours per week, total.

kateskate
08-15-2006, 01:16 PM
I have 2 half an hour free skating lessons a week and 2 half an hour dance lessons a week (if my teacher come in! I don't always get 2 lessons a week).

But that is only during term time - my free skating teacher especially isn't always around in the school holidays

I do a stroking class for 30mins every week.

I also do synchro once a week for 45mins (although not my fave thing to do!)

On top of that I practise for about 4/5 hrs a week

I think I have a bit of an imbalance - too many lessons not enough practice. But the problem is at our rink you are often not allowed on patch ice unless you are actually physically having a lesson at that time. So its lessons or don't skate.

I skate 4 times a week usually.

sk8_4fun
08-15-2006, 01:53 PM
2x 1/2 hour small group lessons per week + 15 mins private lesson- would like more if i could afford it!

jazzpants
08-15-2006, 02:26 PM
I have two 30 minute lessons. One with primary coach and one with secondary coach! And that's all I can afford. ($ and bandwidth wise.)

I skate 4-5 (usually 5) times a week. An hour on the two days I have lessons and about 1.5-2 hrs I have on weekends and Monday nights... so about 7.5 hours a week.

skaternum
08-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Not skating right now, but my usual schedule is:

Four 1-hr. sessions per week, which include a 30 min. freestyle / moves lesson and a 30 min. spin lesson. My parnter and I would try to get together to work lifts off-ice 3 times a week.

icedancer2
08-15-2006, 03:02 PM
If possible, one 1/2 hour with dance coach and one or two 15-minute figures/Moves/dance/technique lessons with primary coach.

It doesn't usually work that way due to time and finances, but in an ideal world, this is how it would be.

I usually skate about6-7 hours/week and I won't take a lesson if I haven't had at least one practice session since the last lesson -- it just doesn't work for anyone if I haven't practiced.

jenlyon60
08-15-2006, 03:47 PM
3-4 30 minute lessons per week. Sometimes I have both coaches at once, when I'm in dance test prep mode. Because coach #2 can watch from a neutral observer what coach #1 (who usually takes me through tests) might not be able to see or feel, since he (#1) would be skating with me.

3 lessons with coach #1 and 1 lesson with coach #2.

AndreaUK
08-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Unfortunately I can only afford one half hour lesson per week. We go through many skills and then i use the other 3 sessions that I attend to practice what I have learned

Rusty Blades
08-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Right now, with my summer coach, I skate 6 hours a week and have about 1.5 hours coaching. Last week, when she didn't have any other skaters in that session, I was getting 45 minutes per hour - that's INTENSE! 8O

In Fall School, I expect to be getting 15 minutes every two hours (six hours/week) and that will ramp up in the winter season as I get ready for competition.

LoopLoop
08-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Generally I have two lessons per week, 20 minutes each, one with primary coach and one with secondary.

Sk8pdx
08-15-2006, 09:49 PM
I have 2 lessons a week. One 1/2 hour lesson with my primary coach (moves, technique, freestyle, choreographs and outlines programs etc..). 20 minutes with secondary coach (jumps and spins). I skate 4-5 hours a week. In addition, I visit the gym 2 nights a week. (routines include free weights, kickboxing, pilates, yoga.)

Chico
08-15-2006, 10:55 PM
I'm lucky to fit one lesson in a week during the summer. When my kids are in school I take two. (30 minutes per lesson) I spend 6 hours a week on the ice. Well, during the school year. I've been finding that skating has been a challenge this summer.

I've often wondered about how often and number of coaches. It seems like many skating peers have a lesson every time they skate. A different coach for each day to boot. Part of me is jealous that some folks have that much time and money to devote to skating. Saying that, I'm very happy with what I have. I'll keep my one and do my best with the time I do have. I'm curious, how do some of you find the time?

Chico

Mercedeslove
08-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Since I am a poor mo-fo I have one lesson a week right now. 1 hour group lessons. However, I finally have some money coming so I'm going to try add some on too it.

Got the sad news though, that my group instructor won't be around for the next session and I am getting a new one. I'm really sad about this. I'm sure she will be just as good as the one I have now, but I got attached to her.

jazzpants
08-16-2006, 12:40 AM
Got the sad news though, that my group instructor won't be around for the next session and I am getting a new one. I'm really sad about this. I'm sure she will be just as good as the one I have now, but I got attached to her.Yeah, I know what you're going thru. I still remember many moons ago that I had to give up my group instructor (I didn't want to take group lessons since I was starting to take private with her... and they wouldn't allow me to take the class during the skating school practice. (B/c of course, I'm no longer in skating school.)

So what do I do? I went hunting for a private coach and I found my current primary coach!!! :bow: (Obviously I'm very attached now to both my current coaches, but my primary coach has been with me for so long that it's gonna be really hard on me if I have to leave him.)

Mercedeslove
08-16-2006, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I know what you're going thru. I still remember many moons ago that I had to give up my group instructor (I didn't want to take group lessons since I was starting to take private with her... and they wouldn't allow me to take the class during the skating school practice. (B/c of course, I'm no longer in skating school.)

So what do I do? I went hunting for a private coach and I found my current primary coach!!! :bow: (Obviously I'm very attached now to both my current coaches, but my primary coach has been with me for so long that it's gonna be really hard on me if I have to leave him.)

I want to cry, I got so use to her being around and warming up to her. Now I gotta break in someone new and get use to things being done differently.

jazzpants
08-16-2006, 12:55 AM
I want to cry, I got so use to her being around and warming up to her. Now I gotta break in someone new and get use to things being done differently.Trust me, change can be a good thing... I have a few secondary coaches in my life time to get a different perspective and so far my current secondary one is the longest running secondary coach I have to date (She did the impossible and got me thru the dreaded Bronze Moves!!! :twisted: ) But I still like the occasional lesson with someone totally new who doesn't see me often. (My wonderful NYC coach and the Moves Guru, for instance...) :P

DallasSkater
08-16-2006, 06:32 AM
Right now I am in one 45 minute private lesson and one 40 minute group lesson a week. I work out 7 days a week doing mostly step aerobic classes too. Our skate semester ends and starting Sept. I will be taking 2 group lessons at 40 minutes...a freestyle class and a new bridge program class.....and my private lesson. I wanted to take a stroking class too but thought I was getting obsessive! giggle.

Chico: It is difficult with the time issue since we are all limited to the rink schedules. I do my gym workouts very early in the morning or really late at night. I schedule my skating lessons and practice around that schedule and even schedule my work to meet that schedule! It is not easy as I have had to let other things go that I also enjoy..such as I socialize less on weekends then I use to as I have the skate sessions Friday and Saturday two times each day!

I always remember...."Manage your time or your time will manage you!" I try to be organized to my very best of abilities and have "outsourced" some stuff at work and home to be able to participate! Truthfully, I do feel a bit over scheduled...but I love skating and will do so as long as I enjoy it!

Mrs Redboots
08-16-2006, 06:47 AM
But I still like the occasional lesson with someone totally new who doesn't see me often. (My wonderful NYC coach and the Moves Guru, for instance...) :PJust think, Jazzpants, next time you have a lesson with the Moves Guru, you'll be showing him your Silver moves!

jazzpants
08-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Just think, Jazzpants, next time you have a lesson with the Moves Guru, you'll be showing him your Silver moves!Yeah, oh, JOY!!! 8O Scary, scary!!!

Yeah, Moves Guru doesn't know that I've passed Bronze Moves yet. But he'll know soon enough, I'm sure.

e-skater
08-16-2006, 10:06 AM
One 30-minute lesson each week. I'm trying to get one 45-minute lesson a month when I can. For my first four years of skating, I had one lesson each month, sometimes two. Not fun. Not much progress either. :roll: It's amazing that I've even passed what tests I have when I think about that, as anyone who has seen me skate obviously knows I certainly have no "natural talent" for this sport! :twisted: :P Maybe it's that pit-bull-like determination. :lol:

skatingatty
08-16-2006, 04:46 PM
I have a 30-min. lesson per week. Last year, when I was with a different coach, I had 2 30-min. lessons per week, but I felt like I was stretching my budget. (And that was when I had a steady paycheck!) Plus, since my skating has pretty much plateaued, I don't think I'd get as much out of having more than one lesson per week.

Chico
08-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the advice Dallas. Believe me, I'm the queen of scheduling. Try like anything anyway. Some things just can't be controlled.

Mercedeslove
08-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Trust me, change can be a good thing... I have a few secondary coaches in my life time to get a different perspective and so far my current secondary one is the longest running secondary coach I have to date (She did the impossible and got me thru the dreaded Bronze Moves!!! :twisted: ) But I still like the occasional lesson with someone totally new who doesn't see me often. (My wonderful NYC coach and the Moves Guru, for instance...) :P

I'm sure I'll be fine after a few weeks. For now I feel like I lost a best friend.