View Full Version : swelling advice..help

Chico
08-11-2006, 10:22 PM
My ankle is swollen to the size of...an orange at least. I have an old injury here and I've irritated it of late. Anyhow, how do I get rid of the swelling fast?
I'm also having a fair amount of hurt.
Chico

Sk8pdx
08-11-2006, 11:18 PM
I would suggest ibuprofen and apply ice packs to reduce swelling. If it was from a previous injury, (Not knowing what the injury was, and not knowing how much time has passed since,) you may need to visit your doctor if swelling continues. Your own intuition will tell you. I hope it isn't anything too serious. :??

jazzpants
08-11-2006, 11:36 PM
(Forgive me for borrowing from Vanilla Ice but...)

R.I.C.E, (http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/prepareemergencies/prep4922.html)R.I.C.E (http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/prepareemergencies/prep4922.html), Baby!!!

And yeah, go to the doctor!!! Since this is an old injury... you definitely don't want to further aggravate it. :??

Hope you feel better soon!

cecealias
08-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Please please make sure you go see a doctor!! I had thought i had a sprain it turned out to be a fracture and tear once. If I hadn't been rushed to the emergency room and x-rayed i wouldn't have realized it was that bad.

My ankle is swollen to the size of...an orange at least. I have an old injury here and I've irritated it of late. Anyhow, how do I get rid of the swelling fast?
I'm also having a fair amount of hurt.
Chico

ouijaouija
08-12-2006, 06:27 AM
i really feel for you, but go see a doctor, if it is indeed the size of an orange!

You could probably get some better acting medicines to reduce the swelling than generic painkilliers/anti imflammatories.

samba
08-12-2006, 08:16 AM
As peviously said, see a doctor, if there is no serious problem, I have found the best thing for my old ankle injury is to strap it up fairly tightly with a stretch bandage that has been soaked in cold water, but dont go to bed with it on.

Chico
08-12-2006, 10:19 PM
It really is the size of an orange. Seriously. If I can't get the swelling down, I'll give it a few days, I'll visit the doctor. Does anyone know how often and for how many days I can take ibuprofen safely? I tried wrapping it, thanks for the advice, and it helped. I'm worried but not panicked, I skated fairly well Friday considering, so I don't think it's anything horrible. It wasn't an orange yet at this point either however. Getting my boot on was interesting.

Chico

beachbabe
08-12-2006, 10:20 PM
ice it and put your leg up.

Ice is always your best bet if you have swelling!:P

dbny
08-12-2006, 10:27 PM
If ibuprofen does not bother your stomach, you can take 600 mg three times a day for as long as necessary. If you take it long term, meaning months at a time, you need to have blood tests to be sure your liver and kidneys are not affected. You do need to take it for several days to build up an effective level in your blood if you already have swelling and pain. Eat a little something when you take it, to head off stomach complications (although I take it on an empty stomach just fine, most people can't). I'm not a doctor and this info is all from my personal experience as a long time user.

sue123
08-13-2006, 08:58 AM
I was taking ibuprofen for a few days straight when I sprained my wrist (I did quite a number on it, thought it was broken at first, ouchies). After about the third or fourth day, I started getting so nasaous and eventually threw up after taking it. I was taking 2 pills at a time, every 6-8 hours I believe. So just make sure you can tolerate it.

techskater
08-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Aleve works wonders too. It's a little gentler on the stomach.

Chico
08-13-2006, 10:54 PM
The swelling is a little better, little. Wrapping my ankle when I'm walking around helps tons. I've been talking meds and this helps with the discomfort. Maybe the swelling too. I'm going to try skating tomorrow but I won't be jumping. (That is if I can get my boot on. Better try this evening.) Thanks for the info., I really appreciate it. I would never thought of wrapping it.

Chico