View Full Version : Anyone else going slowly bonkers???

sk8_4fun
08-10-2006, 12:29 PM
:frus: I thought I would start this thread in case there is anyone else out there going slowly round the bend. Here in the UK we are in the middle of the shool summer holidays which means no adult skating classes for 7 weeks!!! I am a mother of two beautiful little boys who I love to bits. but without my skating fix I'm going bonkers!!!! I have no hope of getting near the ice, which I have come to terms with but it dosn't stop me thinking about it all the time- in fact giving up smoking was easier than this! I am on a diet so that I don't gain weight, and I'm going to the gym when I can in the evenings so that I don't lose muscle tone, I also spend alot of time balancing on one leg (physio for a knee injury) and resorting to watching 'ice princess' whilst doing the ironing8O HOW SAD AM I????? so are there any other sad skating junkies out there???????

SDFanatic
08-10-2006, 12:34 PM
:giveup:

Steven

samba
08-10-2006, 01:11 PM
Count me in, my rink is closed for refurbishing, no definate date when it will be finished. I will probably benefit from the rest because my back has been playing up and I know I would probably try to skate regardless, so I guess it is a blessing in disguise.

Problem is there is the BAC at the end of September and I am loosing valuable practice time, so at the moment I am one of the sad non-skating junkies with huge withdrawal symptoms like playing my music on the head phones and doing my programme in my head which can be embarrasing when husband walks in and finds me twitching for no apparent reason.

From one junkie to another you have my sympathy.

Mrs Redboots
08-10-2006, 01:31 PM
And I've had a cold all week and had to miss both my lessons - it wasn't the kind of cold you could skate with, alas. Husband took both lessons, and learnt a lot (normally he has private lessons with coach2), and I'm having his lesson on Sunday with Coach2 as he's going hiking with our daughter (when he could be skating? He's daft!), but even still. Plus there's a hockey school sometime and I don't know when and I hope to goodness it's not next week as it would mean missing yet another lesson, and with not only the BAC coming up but also Bristol at the beginning of September.... and the step sequence in our free dance needs coachly attention! We haven't had a lesson on it since Bracknell and our fall, although we've skated it a time or two.

Plus I need the coach to look closely at our Fiesta and see exactly what's going wrong on the end pattern, without automatically assuming it's all my fault.....

At least our Dutch Waltz is usually relatively reasonable - famous last words!

And I hope to be back on the ice in the morning, and will make the Husband skate with me unless I get badly out of breath.

samba
08-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Gosh Annabel you must feel bad to miss your lesson! I PM'd you before reading this, you look after yourself now.

Grace

Skate@Delaware
08-10-2006, 02:26 PM
I feel your angst!!!!

The first summer my rink closed; I thought I would die! I drove every week the hour and a half to another rink. I did it again the following year. All this was supplemented with skating videos and devouring anything skating.

This summer was the first one that wasn't quite so severe, but this month has been a doozy!!! I got chased off the ice because of the ammonia leak, then today my son had an orthodontist appointment (better to go than wait 2 months for a reschedule).

Can't go on Sunday-school clothes shopping; next Thursday-another appointment that can't be rescheduled.

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

But, it's nice to know that my rink WILL re-open for the season on 5 Sept!! i'm seriously thinking of taking the day off....just to skate....he he he!!!

My wall at work has a skating calendar; my other calendar in front of my desk counts down the weeks until my rink reopens. My desktop has a list of the pre-bronze moves. i have the skating tv shows built into my calendar. I got my hair cut today but didn't go short so I could be sure to pull it back into a bun come December and ice show time. So, who is pathetic???? ME!!!

ps-Annabel, I hope you are feeling better!!! We have a wicked virus going around on this side of the pond (and strep). Yuk!

sue123
08-10-2006, 04:40 PM
I feel your pain. I never know when I can go skating. The freestyle sessions are early in the morning and about an hour drive away. I am not a morning person at all (getting up at 4 am does NOT work for me). Occasionally, I can get to a public session, but they dont have too many, and there's a bunch of summer camp kids there. I think in September, there will be a new sports facility with 2 rinks opening up about 5 mins drive from my house, so hopefully I"ll get some ice then.

Although lately, I haven't been able to go even if I could get to a session because of this stupid knee. But I think once I get my knee sorted out, I will be able to go quite often in the fall since I'll be working as a substitute teacher and so I'll get to make my own schedule. If I want to skate that day instead of working if I get called, no problems. the fall will be here soon enough.

sk8_4fun
08-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys, you made me feel a whole lot better, knowing i am not alone!

Mrs RB, hope you feel better soon, and that you get Ice time next week:)

icedancer2
08-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Anyone else going slowly bonkers???

When I saw this thread title, I thought you meant just in general!!!:lol:

Skate@Delaware
08-10-2006, 05:31 PM
When I saw this thread title, I thought you meant just in general!!!:lol:
Well, it could be that too until school starts!!!!

Rusty Blades
08-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Yes ma'am!

I started to re-learn skating at the end of January. After winter season, there was Spring School, but after Spring School there was 6 weeks with no ice until Summer School. By mid-June, I was going NUTS! 8O I rented a whole rink for 3 hours at $100 an hour.

Tell me I am not an addict when I am willing to pay $300 for a FIX! :roll:

Skate@Delaware
08-10-2006, 08:01 PM
My rink had purchased the artificial ice for shows during the state fair, then for training thereafter.....when I talked to the skating director about when the training was to start, she said it wasn't going to happen right away, maybe in a few months...man! it would have been something until we got real ice!!! And it's closer!!!! Even though it's a small area it would have helped..

skatingatty
08-10-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm a bit bonkers b/c the kids are still out of school, and the skating sessions are packed! After becoming self-employed, I thought I could do the cheaper public sessions in the middle of the day, but those are the worst sessions. Can't wait til September though.

Chico
08-10-2006, 09:46 PM
I have ice, but I need to skate early due to my kids being on summer break. I was up at 4:30 a.m. this morning to skate the 6:30! I have never been a morning person and this schedule could kill me. Really. I am skating with tons of kids and I have to admit that I like it.... Weird I know. I do miss sleep and most of my adult skating peers. I actually think I'm the only fool I know to skate this early. I guess early and busy ice is better than no ice. Sorry no ice skaters!

Chico

Scarlett
08-10-2006, 10:17 PM
I've been sidelined with an ankle injury and I'm driving myself and everyone around me absolutely insane. Only the fact that I cannot weight bear is preventing me from taping the ankle and just working on moves.

Sonic
08-11-2006, 10:52 AM
I can imagine how you must feel, sk8_4fun. I can also relate to what you're saying, Scarlett.

The mystery foot injury has now been plaging me for a couple of months, I've bearly been managing to skate more than once a week, and have been like a bear with a sore head.

Frustrating, isn't it? You just start to feel as if you're making progress..then for whatever reason you can't skate!

S xxx