View Full Version : Good skate insoles for arch pain?

mimi
08-10-2006, 10:06 AM
I have arch pain when I skate. I tried Superfeet (Gray). But it made my arch pain worse. I wonder if someone knows good skate insoles for arch pain. Thanks.

dbny
08-10-2006, 05:05 PM
I have custom Klingbeils, so I can't recommend anything, but sometimes pulling the laces too tight over the arches can cause arch pain. Try having them very tight at the toes, then lightening up a bit over the arch, and tight again at the ankle. If you tie a single knot between the holes and the hooks it helps to hold them.

Skate@Delaware
08-10-2006, 05:32 PM
My daughter has very low arches and skates without anything in her skates. I mean nothing at all. We took out the insole that was in there and she has a piece of thin cardboard/foamy thing only. It has really helped her. Her arches don't cramp up anymore.

ET: I also want to add. If you have weak muscles in your arch, that could be causing you pain. You can develop the muscles in your arch (which should cut down on the pain) by doing releves (ballet term for raising up onto the ball of your feet slowly, then going back to flat foot). You would do these barefoot. You can do a search on the internet for pictures or video.

Clare
08-10-2006, 05:38 PM
ET: I also want to add. If you have weak muscles in your arch, that could be causing you pain. You can develop the muscles in your arch (which should cut down on the pain) by doing releves (ballet term for raising up onto the ball of your feet slowly, then going back to flat foot). You would do these barefoot. You can do a search on the internet for pictures or video.

I had a podiatrist recommend these to me about a year ago- I walk alot and have flat feet which was causing a lot of pain in both my arches and my calves. He advised me to stand on a step, raise up slowly then drop down so that I am hanging down over the step and stretching out the calf.

I do it every morning and evening and it really seems to have helped with loosening up my calves and stopping the pain in my arches.

Good luck :)

Clare

mimi
08-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Thank you so much:bow:

dbny:
I tried the way of lacing this morning. It worked:!: I felt much better.

Skate@Delaware:
When I skated without insoles, my arch pain was much worse and I had to take off my skates every 10 minutes. So it looks like I need something but not too much for my skate insoles.
I did releves before and after skating this morning. It was very helpful.

Clare:
Thank you for the information. I will try it.

oroetlaboro
08-11-2006, 08:31 AM
My daughter has Sole Custom Footbeds arch supports in her skates. They are heat moldable and thin enough to fit in the boot. They are sold over-the-counter. She has pronated feet which led to knee problems. Her sports-med physician and physical therapist looked at them and said they would be a great alternative to custom orthotics, which are very expensive and not practical for growing bodies - not to mention often requiring the purchase of new boots. Their website is www.itsyoursole.com. I would recommend finding a store that sells them so you can try them in your skate before you buy. The website has a store locator, but the store where we bought hers isn't listed, so I would call around to shoe repair shops as well as shoe stores.

mimi
08-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Thank you so much again :bow:

mikawendy
08-13-2006, 03:38 PM
My daughter has very low arches and skates without anything in her skates. I mean nothing at all. We took out the insole that was in there and she has a piece of thin cardboard/foamy thing only. It has really helped her. Her arches don't cramp up anymore.

Another exercise that can help the muscles in the arch is to put a towel on the floor, and while sitting on a chair, use your feet to scrunch the towel and pull it toward you without moving your knees or legs.