View Full Version : sno-seal: how do you use it?

beachbabe
08-09-2006, 10:36 PM
I decided to waterproof my boots myself this time so i went and bought some sno-seal at the pro shop and I'm just wondering how do you use it to get the best results.

Also, how often do you use it? And do I need to take off the blade to apply it?

Thanks guys:P

doubletoe
08-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Ooh, thanks for reminding me I should sno-seal mine again!
I just rub some in with a paper towel, then go over it with a hot hair dryer so it melts into the leather. Then I wipe it with a paper towel.

Skate@Delaware
08-10-2006, 06:48 AM
I cheat when I apply mine....put my skates on a rack in my dryer and put it on low heat for about 5 minutes....pull them out one at a time. They are warm (but not enough to undo any heat-molding) the sno-seal just sucks right in...3 coats is usually enough by then it's not absorbing any more. I only do the soles (bottom and sides and where the blade is open).

For the uppers, I clean them with a baby wipe, then apply white cream polish (from a golf pro shop) then 2 coats of neutral, buffing in between. I only do this at the beginning of the year, and change my laces so they look nice and clean.

When my skates look dirty, I just wipe them with a baby wipe.

If my insole is stinky, I take it out and hand wash it-scrubbing with a brush. I use either dishsoap or shampoo. Blot with a towel and put on my porch to dry. Ta Da! Instant sweet. In between cleanings I use a lavendar deoderizer spray that I made.

I need to clean out my skate bag.....it has "accumulated" things.

Isk8NYC
08-10-2006, 10:03 AM
There should be directions on the package, but you just heat up the sole using a hairdryer, then squeeze out some of the SnoSeal, rub it all over the sole and heel, then warm it up again with the hairdryer. Wipe off the excess with a paper towel. I waterproof about once every 5 months.

Use a plastic baggie to rub it in so you don't get the SnoSeal under your nails or on your hands.

I prop up the hairdryer so I just have to hold the skate in front of the air flow while I apply the SnoSeal. (My bathroom sink faucets hold the dryer just right. Plus, I can turn on the fan to get rid of the smell.)

I always take off the blades to waterproof new skates; just mark the positions so you align it properly when you put the blades back on.
(Hmmm...I wonder if you could just loosen them and put the SnoSeal underneath with a plastic knife?)

Since I'm the only one who doesn't outgrow her skates, I only waterproof under the blades every 2 years.

flippet
08-10-2006, 02:04 PM
I never sno-sealed under the blades. I simply heated it really well around the blade plate edge, and figured the leather would 'suck' a bit underneath the edges--at least as far as any water would dare to go! I never had any problems.

One pair of skates had some kind of caulking around the blade plate edge, so I certainly never moved those! I would hesitate to fiddle with blade placement and risk stripping the holes out simply for waterproofing--especially since so many people have no issues with rot even if they never waterproof. (note, I do recommend waterproofing, but YMMV as to how often you really need it.)