View Full Version : Shock of all shocks....AB Freeskate Test

e-skater
08-09-2006, 09:05 PM
I'm too tired to go into details (plus I couldn't keep my test sheets, they'll be mailed to me, though I did get a look at them *without* my reading glasses :roll: ), but................

i passed, I PASSED, I PASSSED!

All three judges passed me, and I did manage to eke out one "over" mark. I was so, so nervous when I stepped out for the test. Warm up (with three Intermediate Freeskate KIDS.....8O ) was great. My knees began knocking when my music started, but I pushed through everything and held it together.

Anyway, thanks to all for the support and encouragement....I just know it helped me........off to rest...so tired..............

Debbie S
08-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Congratulations, Janet!!!:bow: :bow:

OK, now sprinkle some Bronze FS dust in my direction!;)

How does it feel to be a Bronze lady?:P

Isk8NYC
08-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Hooray!

Another successful test - can't wait to see the results!
Debbie S - when will you take the test?

Congrats!

Debbie S
08-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Debbie S - when will you take the test?In a few weeks. As I posted on the other thread, I'm running (or trying to run) through my program twice a session until then. I want to pass this test the first time, and I've never been successful with a backspin in competition, so I'm really hoping this will be my day (hey, it better be!).

jazzpants
08-09-2006, 09:22 PM
WOO HOO!!! YOU GO, JANET!!!

http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/a045.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/a040.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/a050.gif

(See, I told 'ya you would pass...) :twisted: ;)

:bow: http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/k010.gif :bow: http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/k020.gif :bow: http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/k030.gif

I look forward to seeing the test forms when you get it! ;)

And before anyone asks again...I don't know when I'm testing Bronze FS!!! :P

doubletoe
08-09-2006, 10:47 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so EXCITING!!!!!!!
You're tired now, but tomorrow when you're rested, you need to PAR-TAY!!!!:bow:

Thin-Ice
08-10-2006, 03:10 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! We knew you could do it!!!! You're officially a "Bronze" lady (or as my brother-in-law teases me "a bronze goddess")!!! Hurray!!!! Hurray!!!!

Mrs Redboots
08-10-2006, 04:54 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Well done that woman!

Are you going to Adult Nationals 2007 now? I do hope so.

flying~camel
08-10-2006, 06:48 AM
CONGRATULATIONS! :P :bow:

renatele
08-10-2006, 06:54 AM
I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!!

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!!

FrankR
08-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Woo-hoo!!

What a great testing week everyone seems to be having!! :D

Congratulations, Janet!!!

Let's trot Michael back out here for another celebration! :lol:

http://gymgossip.com/Smileys/Kustom/billiejean.gif

http://gymgossip.com/Smileys/Kustom/beatit.gif

dbny
08-10-2006, 08:45 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!

Mel On Ice
08-10-2006, 09:00 AM
hooray! congrats~

Terri C
08-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Congratulations, Janet!
Now if I can only get my tests in!! (I'm happy for everyone that's passed tests lately, but feels a little left out at the same time)

e-skater
08-10-2006, 01:25 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Well done that woman!

Are you going to Adult Nationals 2007 now? I do hope so.

Thanks all for the congrats. I think it's just sinking in today that I've passed this test, and do not have to practice my program on Friday!!!!

Won't be going to Adult Nationals...don't have the resources to do that, but I'll be cheering everyone we know who is going! And wishing them the best.

On to AS moves and ice dance!

flo
08-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Great Job!!!!

cecealias
08-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!! What a major milestone! I'm so happy for ya. Keep your chin up and anything will be possible!

I'm too tired to go into details (plus I couldn't keep my test sheets, they'll be mailed to me, though I did get a look at them *without* my reading glasses :roll: ), but................

i passed, I PASSED, I PASSSED!

All three judges passed me, and I did manage to eke out one "over" mark. I was so, so nervous when I stepped out for the test. Warm up (with three Intermediate Freeskate KIDS.....8O ) was great. My knees began knocking when my music started, but I pushed through everything and held it together.

Anyway, thanks to all for the support and encouragement....I just know it helped me........off to rest...so tired..............

vesperholly
08-11-2006, 11:56 PM
That's great! I have seen videos of your skating (I think - on geocities right?) and it's no surprise to me that you passed Bronze - with "over" marks, too. Good job! :D

Raye
08-12-2006, 12:11 AM
Awesome!! Good for you! Congratulations, I knew you could do it :bow: :bow: :bow:

ouijaouija
08-12-2006, 06:28 AM
Hello!

I have no idea what all these different tests are about, but well done! :P

Mrs Redboots
08-12-2006, 09:30 AM
Hello!

I have no idea what all these different tests are about, but well done! :PIt's a major milestone for Janet, because in the USA, you have to have passed your Adult Bronze Moves and Free tests before you can take part in their Adult Championships.

Our system here in the UK is very different, and as yet, we don't have any specific Adult tests - you test standard track or not at all.

e-skater
08-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Well, the news is in. I received my test sheet copies today. In my blog (www.geocities.com/e_sk8r) I had posted that I knew the judges would mention my sit spin position, as well as my nerve-induced poor flow landings on some of my jumps......I didn't get any surprises in that area! But I *was* surprised to read some "good" comments for a change!

Judge 1, 2.5 2.6 position in sit is not low enough
more flow on jump exit

good feel for music and nice transitions

Judge 2, 2.5 2.5 work on spin position (hmm, WHICH ONE:twisted:)

This judge wrote "cheat" on toe loop. No other judge
noted that. I'll ask my coach. It did not feel cheated
to me, so..........

nice feel for music and use of arms

Judge 3, 2.5 2.5 (there were no technical comments, but all elements
were noted)

very nice program, nice flow

I found myself wondering what this test might have been like if I'd waited for, say, a year, *then* tested. Probably no different. It's hard to say.

Though I controlled my nerves better on this test than any others I've taken to date, I still need to find a way to relax more. I was very prepared, and I did not feel that was an issue, or a cause for being nervous. At least I remained focused and worked with the nerves, instead of letting them defeat me.

Well, it doesn't matter now, does it? I felt like I passed fair and square, and now I'm moving on to other skating projects! Janet

coskater64
08-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Congratulations, on to Silver!:) :lol:

tidesong
08-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Conngratulations!!!

Thin-Ice
08-25-2006, 04:11 AM
Well, the news is in. I received my test sheet copies today. (snip) I found myself wondering what this test might have been like if I'd waited for, say, a year, *then* tested. Probably no different. It's hard to say.

If you felt "very prepared" there was no reason to wait another year to test. You probably would have received comments about your sit spin position (a common comment on ABFS tests) and one judge probably would have said something about needing more power or bending your knees more... and you would still have received your comments on nice use of arms and good sense of music. And you probably would have wondered then why you waited so long to take the test. So be glad you took it when you were ready, that you passed (I'm happy for you!) and now you are halfway through the adult test structure and qualified for AN!

And thanks for sharing the comments from your test sheets!

techskater
08-25-2006, 06:17 PM
You probably would have received comments about your sit spin position (a common comment on ABFS tests) and one judge probably would have said something about needing more power or bending your knees more... and you would still have received your comments on nice use of arms and good sense of music.

I laughed when I saw this because it reminded me of a Junior dance team I knew getting a critique after a competition. The judges read the name and started going through their comments and finally one of the 2 skaters in the team spoke up and said, "But we're X and Y, not A and B!" The judge said "Oops!" Flipped the page and started reading almost the exact same comments!!!!

Mercedeslove
08-25-2006, 08:55 PM
congrats! Way to go!

Debbie S
08-26-2006, 02:12 PM
I passed, I passed, I passed!!!!

Not my best skate, far from it, but I was just good enough. Had to reskate the loop, and messed up on the warm-up of it, but managed to eke it out the second time. I was worried about the backspin, but I did 3 revs, and exited on the spinning foot. I'm sure after my lesson on Tuesday (where I basically couldn't do anything), my coach was probably just glad I finished the program standing up.

Anyway, since others have done so, I'll post my comments (only 1 judge). Not that extensive.

Technical - 2.5, good basic skating skills, spins and jumps OK

Presentation - 2.5, nice flow and attack overall

I got 7 revs on my forward scratch - wow! - 4 revs on my sit (although I'm sure the position was awful - I had a bad entrance and it was a struggle to hold), and 3 revs on my backspin. After my early struggles, I just kept telling myself to keep it together, skate with speed, and sell the program. I tried to do a good job with my waltz-toe, sal, and toe loop to make up for the other elements. I guess the judge was impressed - "attack" is definitely not a word I hear associated with my skating too often. :oops: :P

Now rooting for Jazzpants and Terri C to join me in Bronze-ville. You can do it, guys, I know it!!!!

doubletoe
08-26-2006, 10:39 PM
It is TOUGH to hold it together under pressure like that, and you DID it!
You absolutely earned that new Bronze status!
EXELLENT JOB!! :D :bow: