View Full Version : Tights, skirts, and a mental block

Hannah
08-09-2006, 06:09 PM
I've got a strange mental block about wearing tights and a skirt (usually I skate in pants), but I have decided it is necessary after taking a bad fall when my blade got caught in the pants I normally skate in. The mental block is strange because I spent 12 years of my life (age 6-18) on a swim team, covered in nothing more than a swimsuit- which covers considerably less than tights and a skirt.

So why do I have this problem? Anyone else feel silly the first time they wore a skirt to skate in or am I worrying too much?

On a related note, anyone know where the website is that sells dance skirts (as in, for ballet)? I looked all over the forums, I KNOW it is there somewhere- the website has a big selection of dance skirts that are really pretty.

Thanks!

SDFanatic
08-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Wear leggings or sturrip pants.

Steven

jp1andOnly
08-09-2006, 06:29 PM
I loathe wearing dresses and do it for competitions and tests only. I have fat legs and have never liked wearing skirts of any kind.

Once I have my dress on for awhile I relax and stop fussing about it. It helps if everyone is in a dress/skirt.

You should see the holes in the legs of my pants. I've got my blade caught in them too many times to count...hehe

I've got a strange mental block about wearing tights and a skirt (usually I skate in pants), but I have decided it is necessary after taking a bad fall when my blade got caught in the pants I normally skate in. The mental block is strange because I spent 12 years of my life (age 6-18) on a swim team, covered in nothing more than a swimsuit- which covers considerably less than tights and a skirt.

So why do I have this problem? Anyone else feel silly the first time they wore a skirt to skate in or am I worrying too much?

On a related note, anyone know where the website is that sells dance skirts (as in, for ballet)? I looked all over the forums, I KNOW it is there somewhere- the website has a big selection of dance skirts that are really pretty.

Thanks!

icedancer2
08-09-2006, 06:51 PM
The first time I wore a skirt after coming back to skating as an adult I felt totally ridiculous (and of course my coach-at-the-time had to point out how self-conscious I was). But then I really got used to wearing a skirt and I like the feeling of it. And yes, I too have heavy "skater-legs".

Right now I am wearing pants more and more -- got some tighter legged pants with zippers at the bottom so I could put them down over my skates. This summer I am mostly wearing yoga pants -- they are a little flared, but since I am neither jumping nor spinning, and my free leg should never be that high and towards my leg, I don't worry too much about it.

My favorite skirt is a Capezio ballet skirt that I get from www.discountdancedistributors.com (http://www.discountdancedistributors.com) or maybe it's www.dancedistributors.com (http://www.dancedistributors.com) or www.discountdance.com (http://www.discountdance.com)

Skate@Delaware
08-09-2006, 07:54 PM
I started wearing skating skirts to get used to them for our ice shows....you should have heard the comments and seen the looks I got! You would have thought a comet was headed for the earth!! And I felt naked.

I mix it up every now and again. I wear pants when I "train." But, in lessons (especially closer to competitions), I will wear dresses and skirts to get used to them. I also wear dresses and skirts in ice dance-it helps me feel more graceful and to remember my posture.

I make my own pants and they are made of heavyweight lycra and like leggings. I make them long enough to cover my laces to the ankle. My old pair got ripped from my blade also (stupid backspin).

DallasSkater
08-09-2006, 08:08 PM
I usually skate in athletic pants that are for joggers...they taper down and I have never caught a blade in them. They have zippers at the bottom with is also nice to adjust the skate laces after I am warmed up. I use yoga pants too and those work out as well.

Do you have to wear a dress thingy to compete? I do not think I have a body image thing about it but I do not even like the idea of wearing that! I will eventually want to compete but thought I would use music that was not too girlie and get to skate in pants! I do not know if it is a required thing for women to have to wear the skate dress or if it is just the traditional thing. I am a rebel at heart so if it is not required, I will opt out.

Does anyone know?

SDFanatic
08-09-2006, 10:00 PM
You could also wear shorts or just a leotard, no restrictions in that.

Do you have to wear a dress thingy to compete?

No, some guy petitioned the USFSA and the ISU two years ago to allow females to compete in pants, as a result, a dress or skirt is not required unless you are a female in synchro (and competing)

Steven

SpaMama
08-09-2006, 10:28 PM
:giveup: DallasSkater - I will learn to skate if you wear a dress thingy!

Ha Ha

SpaMama

doubletoe
08-09-2006, 10:40 PM
I think for me, the concern was not so much how my body looked in the skirt, but rather, whether I was "worthy" of practicing in a skating dress. I mean, only GOOD figure skaters had the right to practice in skating skirts. Was I being pretentious? Were people going to snicker at me? But frankly, nobody really cares, LOL! Wear what works for you. :)

I don't wear skating skirts now, but it isn't because I'm self-conscious anymore, it's just because I don't like tights and I sometimes have to go somewhere after skating (without changing) and leggings/stretch pants are much less "weird" than a skating skirt in public. I wear the Seku stretch pants, which do not flare at the bottom. They're a bit expensive, but regular stretch leggings work, too.

beachbabe
08-09-2006, 11:00 PM
I think for me, the concern was not so much how my body looked in the skirt, but rather, whether I was "worthy" of practicing in a skating dress. I mean, only GOOD figure skaters had the right to practice in skating skirts. Was I being pretentious? Were people going to snicker at me? But frankly, nobody really cares, LOL! Wear what works for you. :)

I don't wear skating skirts now, but it isn't because I'm self-conscious anymore, it's just because I don't like tights and I sometimes have to go somewhere after skating (without changing) and leggings/stretch pants are much less "weird" than a skating skirt in public. I wear the Seku stretch pants, which do not flare at the bottom. They're a bit expensive, but regular stretch leggings work, too.
totally agreed about the whole wearing it in public thing.

Usually after I skate I have to go someshere afterwards. Sometimes I have to stop by the grocery store or pick up some takeout.

I don't wanna be seen in public with tights, a skating dress, and look like an idiot.

I don't like wearing my dresses untill around competition time because its not comfortable and always hurts more if you fall. Tights are also expensive and have to be replaced after just a few skating sessions.

And you are right about the whole thing with people expecting to see some serious moves when you're in a dress. I always find it really funny when some terrible skater gets on the ice in a skating dress and can't even skate without tripping. Wearing a dress is somewhat of a statement (especially if its a very heavily decorated one) and you'll look extremely stupid if you wear a cute dress and are a terrible skater.

Sk8pdx
08-09-2006, 11:54 PM
:giveup: DallasSkater - I will learn to skate if you wear a dress thingy!

Ha Ha

SpaMama
ROTFL!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Wish I could have met you when I visited Grapevine. I was introduced to your lovely daughter by DallasSkater. She has your same sassiness. I like it! It must be the red hair in the fam. he he he.:P

See, DallasSkater, you have all the love and support as well as sacrifice of friends. Wear the dress! You will get used to it. I find that I have much more mobility and movement when I wear a skirt/dress. You might even try wearing black leggings then a black wrap skirt over the top. I see Ice Dancers here do that all the time for practice.

mintypoppet
08-10-2006, 02:35 AM
I started (occasionally) skating in a skirt recently. My worry wasn't my appearance, but that people would think that I was being a bit premature.

Instead though, other skaters seem to have started taking me more seriously, which was a reaction I didn't expect. I suppose it looks like I'm taking myself more seriously as a skater. I received a few comments from my friends, but they were all good-natured.

Like icedancer2, I have a Capezio wrap skirt. The 276 is knee-length, so more for dance I would imagine. The 272 is 3" shorter, and I find that with black tights, it's fine to practise in. When I leave, I just put the tracksuit bottoms over the tights and untie the skirt, and then there's no issues with going anywhere afterwards.

Rusty Blades
08-10-2006, 04:47 AM
I am 57, 5' 9", a bit over-weight, and built like the old farm girl that I am. I work in engineering & construction and have been in the trenches and on the tops of towers. When I told my friends and co-workers I was taking up figure skating they all split their sides laughing at the thought of ME in a "tu-tu"! 8O Ok, so I look like a giant grape popcicle in my purple skating dress . . .

You know what? To he!! with them!

The skating dress is a tradition that goes back generations. If you want to wear a dress, wear it! The skating dress is a "uniform" of sorts and if you are investing your time and effort in this sport you shouldn't hesitate to wear the uniform if you want.

I used to practice in pants when I was a teenager until I caught a blade and took a spill that wrecked my knees for over a decade. When I came back to skating this year, I started wearing shorts (and tights) to practice - also acceptable for stopping at the store after practice. When the weather gets cooler in the fall, I will switch to my grape popcicle dress - I'VE EARNED IT!

Mrs Redboots
08-10-2006, 04:53 AM
I tend to practice in a skirt and tights, and especially if we are going to work on our free dance - if he's going to grab my leg, I'd rather he grabbed tights, which are unlikely to shift, than leggings, which might! Mind you, in the recent very hot weather it was simply too hot, so I skated in my capri pants, but we weren't working on our free dance at that stage. At least, not the lift.

If I want to go somewhere between skating and going home, I just throw a pair of street trousers or a skirt into my bag, and change discreetly at the side of the rink.

sk8_4fun
08-10-2006, 05:03 AM
8O OMG! this is almost the same quaestion as I wanted to ask! I Haven't been skating that long and would love to wear something more graceful but I'm worried about wether I'm worthy to wear the 'uniform' as it were. I'm not the lightest and have been checking out black tights and possibly a longer length dance type skirt?? I'm not jumping or spinning either. anyone know were I could get something plain and black in the UK?

BatikatII
08-10-2006, 06:02 AM
Just think you should be aware that black tights show up all the lumps and bumps that you might have and that the flesh coloured skating tights are very much more flattering. The reason is that you are skating on ice which is white - black against white is the highest contrast you can have and therefore you see the outline very, very clearly. This is why many dancers and synchro teams practice in black tights or leggings since it allows the coaches to clearly see all the lines and whether legs are straight and toes are pointed etc.

As a newbie I competed in my first competition in a skirt and black tights thinking as you do that black is more flattering. Then I saw the photos 8O - believe me I have never worn black tights again.

A coloured skirt and flesh coloured tights are much more flattering and forgiving of less than perfect lines or body shapes.

Skate@Delaware
08-10-2006, 06:31 AM
Nothing is more fun than still having all your show makeup (very heavy plus glitter) on then having to stop in to the store for milk and eggs....boy, you get the looks then!!! Especially when your daughter is with you in the same makeup!!! That is hilarious!!!

I feel just stepping on the ice "earns" you the right to wear a dress or skirt. We have waited long enough to learn to skate (as adults or late-starters) and have all the bumps and bruises to show as badges.

Even on public ice I will wear a dress. At 44 years old, I don't care what others think about what I'm wearing to skate in. They don't pay my ice bills.:twisted:

Plus, at my rink, most people don't care what you wear.

sk8_4fun
08-10-2006, 06:51 AM
As a newbie I competed in my first competition in a skirt and black tights thinking as you do that black is more flattering. Then I saw the photos 8O - believe me I have never worn black tights again.

A coloured skirt and flesh coloured tights are much more flattering and forgiving of less than perfect lines or body shapes.

Thanks, I'll 'bare' that in mind:D

DallasSkater
08-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Skate@Delaware: I am truly impressed that you make your own! How nice to have that talent.

SDFanatic: Good to know that the rules have changed. Found it interesting that a guy petitioned on what woman could wear. Had not even thought about shorts...that is an idea. Thanks!

SpaMama: Giggle. hmmmm what a tempting offer. The new LTS schedule is out and sign up starts next week. Do you have a favorite popsicle flavor? giggle.

doubletoe: I have no doubt that you are "worthy" of the outfit. However, I agree with your statement..wear what works for you!

beachbabe: I guess you are right that when I see someone take the ice in a practice dress, it draws my attention to them to see how well they skate. I am too old to be body obsessive at this time but had not considered that expectations would be immediately diluted...giggle.

Sk8pdx: LOL. Just need to mention that I saw no glitter, tights, or dress on you for our shared ice! black leggings and a wrap skirt sounds nice.

mintypoppet: Very cool that you are embracing a skater's identity. I am feeling more like a skater each time I go and working on my acceptance.

Rusty Blades: Too funny! Since I may have to consider SpaMama's challenge...do you have any regrets on choosing to be a grape popsicle vs say a black cherry, lemon-lime, or orange. I think grape is my favorite...we could be twins then! giggle. You have such a great attitude about it!

Mrs Redboots: Makes total sense that you would be in dress with the dancing. Great idea to change into something immediately following to do errands.

sk8: I bet you will look adorable.

Batikat: I am soon to be 44. Somewhere in my mid to late 30's I lost my concern for less than perfect body image. I have to say...it is a relief. I go for comfort now. I hope my "winning personality" (giggle) will still draw love, nurturing and attention from others...lol. If I had to rely on my body...well ...I would be rather isolated!

I am an advocate for adult skaters at my rink as I believe improving numbers affords more bargaining power for adult specific ice time, classes, seminars etc. Now that I have the opportunity to get one more adult skater on the ice at my rink (spamama) I will have to consider a little outfit..giggle. If I wear the dress in honor of spamama...I will wear some glitter in honor of sk8pdx! lol (Thinking maybe I could get a matching one with spamama as I am sure she would only skate in a little dress!) Sk8pdx...where does one get appropriate glitter? lol

SpaMama
08-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Ok, Dallasskater I am not saying this to get out of learning to skate :roll: but
many of the teens who skate the freestyle sessions wear shorts over tights, and that looks good too. Purple would be good! Get you out of the "head to toe" black you favor!

sk8pdx - Wish I could have met you too! Yea, those red heads can be sassy! She is actually pretty shy and quite, but becomes a different person on the ice! By the way, it is still over 100 here, 105 yesterday I think. I thank the good Lord every day we step foot on the rink that my kids don't play soccer!

SpaMama

Skate@Delaware
08-10-2006, 09:40 AM
I am an advocate for adult skaters at my rink as I believe improving numbers affords more bargaining power for adult specific ice time, classes, seminars etc. Now that I have the opportunity to get one more adult skater on the ice at my rink (spamama) I will have to consider a little outfit..giggle. If I wear the dress in honor of spamama...I will wear some glitter in honor of sk8pdx! lol (Thinking maybe I could get a matching one with spamama as I am sure she would only skate in a little dress!) Sk8pdx...where does one get appropriate glitter? lol
I saw a blurb in the latest Skating magazine (Aug/Sep issue) on page 54 (purple box) was asking for Adult Skating Ambassadors. Basically (if I understand this correctly) you are a point-of-contact between adult skaters and the USFSA to report adult numbers, distribute information to adult skaters, promote adult skating, etc.
I was thinking about putting my name in...maybe it would help, maybe not but what they hey? I'm tired of the adult skaters at my rink getting screwed or forgotten...and if I have the USFSA over my shoulder maybe that would count for something!!!!

ps-I sew for myself (thank goodness for home ec!) because I'm tired of all-black outfits AND I have a long torso and long legs...it's the only way to get stuff to fit...

Mrs Redboots
08-10-2006, 10:37 AM
8O OMG! this is almost the same quaestion as I wanted to ask! I Haven't been skating that long and would love to wear something more graceful but I'm worried about wether I'm worthy to wear the 'uniform' as it were. I'm not the lightest and have been checking out black tights and possibly a longer length dance type skirt?? I'm not jumping or spinning either. anyone know were I could get something plain and black in the UK?Your local dancewear shop, and ask for a practice-skirt. Unless there's a shop at your rink which might just have skating skirts in your size - worth asking. Or there might be someone at your rink who makes them for everybody - your coach will know.

Incidentally re tights - I know leg-coloured tights are more flattering, but black tights are a lot cheaper - Tesco or Sainsbury's Value 40 denier do very well at this time of year! If you want leg-coloured, John Lewis do very good 40-denier ones which are fine for practice and training, about a fiver, I think.

sk8_4fun
08-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Incidentally re tights - I know leg-coloured tights are more flattering, but black tights are a lot cheaper - Tesco or Sainsbury's Value 40 denier do very well at this time of year! If you want leg-coloured, John Lewis do very good 40-denier ones which are fine for practice and training, about a fiver, I think.

Cheers Mrs RB, I never thought of using non-skating tights, and I already have a good stock of those form M&S- my winter essentials, I love them!

doubletoe
08-10-2006, 12:48 PM
And you are right about the whole thing with people expecting to see some serious moves when you're in a dress. I always find it really funny when some terrible skater gets on the ice in a skating dress and can't even skate without tripping. Wearing a dress is somewhat of a statement (especially if its a very heavily decorated one) and you'll look extremely stupid if you wear a cute dress and are a terrible skater.

I think you might have misunderstood my post a little. I wasn't actually AGREEING with that old assumption I used to have about needing to earn the right to wear a skating dress. I was just afraid *other* people might judge me because I was wearing a skating skirt when I didn't even have all of my single jumps yet. In my experience (now 12 years later), I don't think most people judge anyone negatively for wearing skating skirts, even when they are relative beginners. And that was actually my point, that most people really aren't going to care what you wear while you're practicing and won't judge you for it.

Hannah
08-10-2006, 02:34 PM
I think the idea of "not being good enough to wear a skirt / dress" hits my concerns on the nose, and explains why I feel covered in a swimsuit. The various comments on this have put things in perspective, though! :)

Beachbabe's comment "I always find it really funny when some terrible skater gets on the ice in a skating dress and can't even skate without tripping. Wearing a dress is somewhat of a statement (especially if its a very heavily decorated one) and you'll look extremely stupid if you wear a cute dress and are a terrible skater." sort of embodies the sentiment I'm concerned about, and actually the reason I was a little worried about starting skating as an adult in the first place (I'm very happy I found this forum!). As a 24-year old grownup, I should be way beyond the effects of any petty teenage snarkyness, but I find that I'm not. :roll:

Skate@Delaware
08-10-2006, 03:30 PM
I think the idea of "not being good enough to wear a skirt / dress" hits my concerns on the nose, and explains why I feel covered in a swimsuit. The various comments on this have put things in perspective, though! :)

Beachbabe's comment "I always find it really funny when some terrible skater gets on the ice in a skating dress and can't even skate without tripping. Wearing a dress is somewhat of a statement (especially if its a very heavily decorated one) and you'll look extremely stupid if you wear a cute dress and are a terrible skater." sort of embodies the sentiment I'm concerned about, and actually the reason I was a little worried about starting skating as an adult in the first place (I'm very happy I found this forum!). As a 24-year old grownup, I should be way beyond the effects of any petty teenage snarkyness, but I find that I'm not. :roll:
Yeah, that's why I don't worry or care what people have to say about me and what I wear (unless I'm in a comp and it's the judges, OR my coach-then I care).:lol: Luckily, I skate at a rink that is classed "Recreational" although they are just now becoming competitively-focused. There has never been any skating down this way (unless you count tv). So, it's whatever you want to do. I have seen all sorts of skating attire, from snow suits (yes, the little tykes wear them), shorts, lycra whatever, competition dresses on practice ice, etc. And no one cares!!! I have yet to hear a comment that was cast in a negative way.

I will say, though, when I first stepped onto the ice wearing a skirt, it was shocking and I had to explain (comments ranged from "OMG she has legs" to "who are you dressed up for?" :roll:

doubletoe
08-10-2006, 04:05 PM

Hannah, trust me, there are very few people who will judge you for wearing a skating skirt, and the only important judgers are the judges! Speaking of which, I have to admit it's true what someone else said, I also tend to skate "prettier" and use better posture and stroking technique when I'm wearing a skirt. It all comes down to you and your skating, and really, nothing else matters. :)

sk8_4fun
08-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Hannah, trust me, there are very few people who will judge you for wearing a skating skirt, and the only important judgers are the judges! Speaking of which, I have to admit it's true what someone else said, I also tend to skate "prettier" and use better posture and stroking technique when I'm wearing a skirt. It all comes down to you and your skating, and really, nothing else matters. :)

I havn't skated in a skirt yet but that sums up what I was trying to say about being graceful- something like pretty is as pretty does

doubletoe
08-10-2006, 07:45 PM
I havn't skated in a skirt yet but that sums up what I was trying to say about being graceful- something like pretty is as pretty does

Mah mom-ma al-ways to-ld me pretty is as pretty does. . .
(Sorry, having a little Forest Gump moment, LOL!)

Skate@Delaware
08-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Mah mom-ma al-ways to-ld me pretty is as pretty does. . .
(Sorry, having a little Forest Gump moment, LOL!)
I always think more along the lines of Maria in West Side Story....Pretty, I feel pretty, ...... when wearing a dress (esp. for ice dance because I'm supposed to look pretty and graceful).

beachbabe
08-10-2006, 08:36 PM

ok, I can see how my comment may have come off sounding rude but its the same situation as a skier completely decked out in brand new gear stepping their way down the mountain, or the swimmer who has the $400 swim trunks on and loses the race to a boy in $10 swim shorts.

The fact is, wearing a dress draws attention to you immediately and people expect to see a certain level of skating.

I should be way beyond the effects of any petty teenage snarkyness, but I find that I'm not.

Its not something thats to do with adults necesarily. I've seen coaches have a laugh when some 10 yr old stepped out on the ice like a little diva in a pink frilly dress and was doing miserable 2 foot spins for her mom. If you wear a dress and skate at a low level people will laugh at you- even if they don't make it obvious.

Chico
08-10-2006, 09:36 PM
I had a very hard time wearing tights, leggings and skirts. I don't see me ever making the hurdle into dresses. I understand your concerns I think. =-) Graduating into skating clothes was a process for me. When I was ready and had a supportive but not pushy coach I gave it a try. I actually like wearing tights and leggings now. Still not a big skirt wearer and I wear leggings with a wrap skirt when I do. Start in what makes you feel comfortable and move on from there. Skating should be about you and your enjoyment, wear what makes you feel good. Do make sure nothing is "showing" that you don't want to share with the rink. Skating can put you in some strange situations ... I have seen some things that made me raise an eyebrow or two! Good luck. =-)

Chico

SDFanatic
08-11-2006, 12:03 AM
As a 24-year old grownup, I should be way beyond the effects of any petty teenage snarkyness, but I find that I'm not. :roll:

I thought the adult professionals in my area were beyond the petty snarkyness myself, but the detrimental actions of these so called professionals taken against me in my area prove it differently.

Steven

samba
08-11-2006, 12:35 AM
I always think more along the lines of Maria in West Side Story....Pretty, I feel pretty, ...... when wearing a dress (esp. for ice dance because I'm supposed to look pretty and graceful).

Gosh I thought I was the only adult that felt like that 8O or maybe few of us want to admit to it, I love prancing around in a pretty dress, it's one of the many reasons I skate, I hope I never grow out of it.

I must admit though when I first wore one I felt naked!!

Rusty Blades
08-11-2006, 03:18 AM
I think a point has been missed here . . . .

wearing a dress draws attention to you immediately and people expect to see a certain level of skating

coaches have a laugh when some 10 yr old stepped out on the ice like a little diva in a pink frilly dress

Anybody who has been around for any length of time (in almost any sport or endevour) has seen the new-bie show up all decked out in the best equipment money can buy expecting to be able to perform like the old pros - THAT'S what people laugh about! It isn't the equipment but the attitude and naivety. We see it every Olympic year - the non-skater who expects to be doing double axels by the end of the first week - and we see it often inbetween.

In my humble opinion, if you have been around for awhile and shown you are serious about your skating, you have earned that dress! You may take some good-natured ribbing from your friends and maybe raise a few teenage eyebrows but who the h@!! cares!

SkatingOnClouds
08-11-2006, 04:02 AM
I am very overweight, sometimes I wear a skirt though. I made my daughter unitards with skirt sewn into them, and made myself a 1/2 version; just from the waist down with skirt sewn in. I have tried making myself other outfits but end up tossing them out. I think I have to face facts that I don't look good in a dress.

Having said that, I totally agree that wearing pretty things helps you skate prettier. I also feel that it is the one time most ladies get to wear really pretty outfits, an excuse to dress up and it's okay to be graceul.

Go ahead - indulge your inner ice princess!

sk8_4fun
08-11-2006, 04:34 AM
I am very overweight, sometimes I wear a skirt though. I made my daughter unitards with skirt sewn into them, and made myself a 1/2 version; just from the waist down with skirt sewn in. I have tried making myself other outfits but end up tossing them out. I think I have to face facts that I don't look good in a dress.

Having said that, I totally agree that wearing pretty things helps you skate prettier. I also feel that it is the one time most ladies get to wear really pretty outfits, an excuse to dress up and it's okay to be graceul.

Go ahead - indulge your inner ice princess!

I'm over weight too, so I know what you mean . I have no desire to wear spandex and spangles, I wouldn't have done at 19 so I'm not going to start at 39! but an elegant black ensemble would do me just fine if I could find the right skirt. I think I may have to get my sewing machine out! Oooh and some magic knickers!!!

SkatingOnClouds
08-11-2006, 04:51 AM
Just think you should be aware that black tights show up all the lumps and bumps that you might have and that the flesh coloured skating tights are very much more flattering. The reason is that you are skating on ice which is white - black against white is the highest contrast you can have and therefore you see the outline very, very clearly.

:lol: you obviously have better lighting at your rink :lol:

Mrs Redboots
08-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Cheers Mrs RB, I never thought of using non-skating tights, and I already have a good stock of those form M&S- my winter essentials, I love them!The essential is that they don't have a hard line at the thigh - that looks most odd under a skating skirt. Oh, and I swear by Sloggi control knickers (black ones) on the top, to preserve my modesty and keep the tights up!

The fact is, wearing a dress draws attention to you immediately and people expect to see a certain level of skating.That's certainly true on a public session, but on teaching ice, most people are too busy with their own work to notice what other people are wearing, or even notice them, other than just be aware of where they are on the ice.

I love prancing around in a pretty dress, it's one of the many reasons I skate, I hope I never grow out of it.I remember a conversation in one competition dressing-room (Dumfries two years ago; I don't think you were there, were you?); I was removing my lenses & make-up and just putting on my normal "don't frighten the horses" make up. Skater A said that she never bothered with make-up, not even for competition. Skater B, on the other hand, said, "Oh, that's the only reason I compete - it gives me an excuse to glam up!" I agree with skater B - although it's not the only reason I compete, of course, and nor was it for her, I don't suppose. But it does help.....

VegasGirl
08-11-2006, 07:46 AM
I always find it really funny when some terrible skater gets on the ice in a skating dress and can't even skate without tripping. Wearing a dress is somewhat of a statement (especially if its a very heavily decorated one) and you'll look extremely stupid if you wear a cute dress and are a terrible skater.

And I find it really petty to make such a comment or rather to think this way... especially the last part of the second sentence is simply arrogant and demeaning!!!

Evelina
08-11-2006, 08:47 AM

I used to skate in jogging bottoms, until I started catching my blade in them on my jumps. Also a friend of mine said it is more comfortable for her to skate in a skirt, and when I tried it I would have to agree; I find it more comfortable.
I am also 24 and I have to admit I felt the same way as you; that if you're wearing a skirt you're expected to be of a certain skating level. However a few falls on my flips as a result of catching my blade and I decided to try it. Now I am used to skating in a skating skirt and tights, so I say give it a try. :)

jwrnsktr
08-11-2006, 08:48 AM
You can have all of my skirts and dresses! I have a closet full of them and don't feel "qualified" to wear them yet! Why? Because "people" might think that I think I can skate! It's definitely a confidence problem. The other thing I've been telling myself is that when I lose the 15 lbs that are clinging to me I will start wearing my skirts and dresses. I did wear them for one trip to the Lake Placid summer camp and I felt like a real skater. I really enjoyed it. Don't know if anyone else did, but I had a great time wearing skirts and dresses. BTW the 15 lbs hadn't shown up yet. Anyway, Jerry's makes a great skating skirt. If you want a ballet skirt, go to DiscountDance.com. Good website for all things ballet and dance related.

Sonic
08-11-2006, 10:07 AM
I've toyed with the idea of skating in a skirt, but I have to admit that to a certain extent I can relate to what beachbabe said...there's nothing worse than a clumsy skater (and, in my case, a clumsy skater who's also a little overweight), poncing round trying to look like a professional.

I've caught my ice dance coach and some others who attend one of the early morning patches laughing at me as it is, and don't want to feel I'm giving them any more ammunition.

I know the right thing to do would be to just say 'what the hey' and wear what I want...maybe when my foot's better and I can get my jumps back I will do just that....

Sxxx

sk8_4fun
08-11-2006, 10:22 AM
I've caught my ice dance coach and some others who attend one of the early morning patches laughing at me as it is, and don't want to feel I'm giving them any more ammunition.

why would they laugh at you sonic????? I know people can be #####y (jealous)but thats not very proffesional of your coach.8O

mintypoppet
08-11-2006, 10:30 AM
why would they laugh at you sonic????? I know people can be #####y (jealous)but thats not very proffesional of your coach.8O

Absolutely right! Sonic, I'll start turning up earlier to your patch session and REALLY give them something to laugh about. Your Canasta's far more respectable than mine, and if we're both wearing skirts, they most definitely can't single you out :twisted:

Seriously though, that's mean-spirited as well as unprofessional. They were in your position once too, and are nowhere near the top of the ladder themselves.

sarahg
08-11-2006, 10:56 AM

Sonic, that's dreadful 8O At my rink a lot of the adult skaters wear skirts or dresses to skate in, and it isn't an issue. One of the ladies who started in January has just had a skirt made. She's retired and says she doesn't care what people think, she just wants to skate in a skirt and tights. She has had the full support of everyone at the rink, and I can honestly say not a single person has made fun of her that I know of. In fact, most people have taken the name of the dressmaker who made it and are thinking of doing the same.

Honestly, how can people make such a fuss over a skirt :?? Especially if it is worn with leggings or black tights, it doesn't seem so much different to jogging bottoms. In fact, I'm getting sick of my coach to tell me to straighten my legs on swing rolls when they are already straight - he just can't tell because jogging bottoms always go baggy at the knees for me. It seems to me that a skirt and leggings are far more practical.

As for your coach, that is extremely unprofessional of him/her. I pay my coach to tell me what I'm doing wrong and to work with me to improve my skating. I've only been skating for 3 and half months and if he ever laughed at me I think that would be the end of me having him as my coach. However, he is endlessly encouraging, endlessly patient and endlessly supportive. Even when I do something stupid and end up laughing at myself he will say how it is all part of the learning curve and that everyone, including him, has been there and done it.

So Sonic, if you want to wear a skirt, go for it :D

Skate@Delaware
08-11-2006, 11:16 AM
As for your coach, that is extremely unprofessional of him/her. I pay my coach to tell me what I'm doing wrong and to work with me to improve my skating. I've only been skating for 3 and half months and if he ever laughed at me I think that would be the end of me having him as my coach. However, he is endlessly encouraging, endlessly patient and endlessly supportive. Even when I do something stupid and end up laughing at myself he will say how it is all part of the learning curve and that everyone, including him, has been there and done it.

So Sonic, if you want to wear a skirt, go for it :D
I agree. I have a lot of respect for my coach, even though she is half my age. I would no longer have her as my coach if she was mean enough to talk behind my back and make fun. It's one thing to laugh at the stupid things I say (I'm laughing too :lol: ) though. I do respect and value her input as far as what dress looks better on me as far as competition wear.

I wear what I want when I skate. If someone doesn't like it, tough. They don't pay my ice bill. But, I hope they can keep their snide comments to themselves and act like big children and not jealous little puppies. Word usually floats back to me about words said on the ice-my rink is not that big and everyone knows everyone else.

I have talked to young girls about being mean. That doesn't float at my rink. I know it happens but we have low tolerance for it because of our low attendance. It usually takes a few words to the offending person and the comments stop.

samba
08-11-2006, 11:19 AM

Not exactly loyal and you dont have to pay for it, 3 words "dump the coach".

SDFanatic
08-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Think about it.

Isn't it all a bit silly?

Some of you think that someone has to be a certain level to skate in a skirt, isn't that your opinion and a reflection of your own ideals?

Some of you think you need a skirt when you skate as it better helps your mind and workflow, there's nothing wrong with that, some of us need a little something but it's not as critical as trying to skate without blades.

Some of you think you look ridiculous in a skirt in a skirt, that's a mind over matter thing and if you want to wear a skirt, and let it bother you, it will.

Some of you skate in whatever you want and don't care, good for you.

You should skate for yourself, if you can't, then maybe you should do something else as you will become what others want you to be and not who you are. Speaking of personal experience however, this is no easy task as sometimes skating for yourself is exactly that.

Some people let what someone wears bother then to the point of ruining their passion, I remember the day I visited a competition and the one girl was miserable because another girl was wearing the same dress she was.

You want to skate and not worry about what to wear? Skate as a guy.

Steven

doubletoe
08-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Sxxx

I agree with what everyone else said and believe it is absolutely unacceptable for your coach to make fun of you. It's his job to defend you, if anything! So did you actually hear what was being said? Is there any possibility they could have been laughing at something else? (I just find it so shocking that a coach would do that, so I'm trying to offer up any possible benefit of the doubt!).

Emberchyld
08-11-2006, 12:25 PM
The first day that I wore a skirt and tights was the first day that I learned forward crossovers.

And, instead of getting comments or wierd looks from the other adults in class, I had people (a million times better than me) saying that they might start wearing skirts, too. No one commented on my level, only how cute the skirt and (black) tights looked.

And honestly, if someone had made negative comments, I wouldn't have cared one tiny bit.

After years of ballet classes in just a leotard and tights or dance recitals in all manner of crazy outfits (like the very beautiful but very revealing harem girl outfit from last year's ballet... dancing in something like that two nights in a row in front of a crowd of strangers really desensitizes you to almost anything-- and motivated me to lose 10 lbs), I really have learned not to care what others think of my body or clothing-- all that I care about is learning to do what I want to do RIGHT. My opinion is that the money that I pay for classes and skates, and the hard work that I put in regardless of my level is what earns me the right to dress however I want to when I skate. And a skirt and tights is a million times more comfortable to me than pants (That's what I'm used to being in, anyway!).

And if I want to look "pretty" and be more comfortable, so be it.

Besides, if someone wants to laugh or point at you, they'll find a reason. For example, at a public skate last week, I was working (in jeans and a fleece) on my forward stroking (and straightening the back leg and gliding for longer and longer times) and crossovers, and two teenage girls in rental skates whose ability to skate was limited to mincing around on the toepicks and holding onto each other started to mock the fact that I was holding my arms out :roll: . But while they were making fun of me, I was improving and they were still toepicking. If I let it bother me, I would have gotten nowhere and wasted a perfectly good session.

So, I suggest that you do what makes you feel comfortable (and, like I tell my family every time they worry about what others think-- "Think of it this way-- in 100+ years, we'll all be dead and no one will care what I'm wearing or doing. In the meantime, I'm going to do what I want and enjoy it, because time moves by way too fast to waste it.")

skatingdoris
08-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Besides, if someone wants to laugh or point at you, they'll find a reason. For example, at a public skate last week, I was working (in jeans and a fleece) on my forward stroking (and straightening the back leg and gliding for longer and longer times) and crossovers, and two teenage girls in rental skates whose ability to skate was limited to mincing around on the toepicks and holding onto each other started to mock the fact that I was holding my arms out :roll: . But while they were making fun of me, I was improving and they were still toepicking. If I let it bother me, I would have gotten nowhere and wasted a perfectly good session.

I've had this before aswell, at a mornining public session that was quite empty any populated mostly by adult skaters like me, these two girls seem to find the fact that I had my arms out while doing outside edges hilarous. They started doing the same everytime they went paseed me while making airplane noises :roll: I think this shows them up more than anything it was so childish and they had to be at least 17.

I've also had such people try to do spirals when they see someone doing them, saying things like 'this is soo easy' loudly as they go passed you. What they don't seem to realise is the fact that there not doing a spiral. All they have done is lift a foot up and bend there knee so it is behind them :?: oh and they also seem to hold their arms out in a mock bee type manner and flap their hands :lol: quite funny really

So yes I think people are going to laugh at you at some point no matter what, so it might aswell be for doing something you want to do.

Sk8pdx
08-11-2006, 02:37 PM
I saw a blurb in the latest Skating magazine (Aug/Sep issue) on page 54 (purple box) was asking for Adult Skating Ambassadors. Basically (if I understand this correctly) you are a point-of-contact between adult skaters and the USFSA to report adult numbers, distribute information to adult skaters, promote adult skating, etc.
I was thinking about putting my name in...maybe it would help, maybe not but what they hey? I'm tired of the adult skaters at my rink getting screwed or forgotten...and if I have the USFSA over my shoulder maybe that would count for something!!!!

I saw this too. I thought it would be kind of fun to recruit others into our addiction. he he he.:) Our rink is new and growing. I want to make sure that it stays around for a while. Plus it seems to be a great venue to share my passion for skating with others too.

LOL. Just need to mention that I saw no glitter, tights, or dress on you for our shared ice! black leggings and a wrap skirt sounds nice.

I should have busted out my cell phone. It has *bling* all over it. I get compliments on it all the time :). I am a little more humble in my attire for public sessions. I switch back and forth from leggings to skirts & tights for freestyle sessions though.

Mrs Redboots
08-11-2006, 02:54 PM
I've had this before aswell, at a mornining public session that was quite empty any populated mostly by adult skaters like me, these two girls seem to find the fact that I had my arms out while doing outside edges hilarous. They started doing the same everytime they went paseed me while making airplane noises :roll: I think this shows them up more than anything it was so childish and they had to be at least 17.I do that at my husband, but that's because, if he's going to dance Intermediate (and he is), he should have his arms under better control than he actually does! Honestly, you'd think he was about to take off, not start a Fiesta Tango! And it's a great pity, because once he gets going, his Fiesta Tango's very good, but it does give an unfortunate first impression. And skating against the likes of Kateskate and Chantelly and FRBSkate, he can't afford that!

My coach sometimes laughs at me, but not wit other people - that's a difference. Time was, some of the other skaters/coaches used to laugh at me, but they don't now. They are actually apt to make complimentary comments about me to my coach, which is most gratifying. I've worked hard for their respect and I deserve it.

beachbabe
08-11-2006, 04:08 PM
And I find it really petty to make such a comment or rather to think this way... especially the last part of the second sentence is simply arrogant and demeaning!!!

well i find it to be the truth. I am not going to tell you what to wear or tell anyone else what to wear. I'm not asking you to agree with me. I'm showing one way of lookign at it that I know many girls would agree with.

if you misunderstood please refer to my previous example- the boy with $400 swim trunks who finishes last in the race.

Please wear what you are comfortable with, I am in no way responsible if it results in you looking stupid.

Isk8NYC
08-11-2006, 04:19 PM
ok, I can see how my comment may have come off sounding rude but its the same situation as a skier completely decked out in brand new gear stepping their way down the mountain, or the swimmer who has the $400 swim trunks on and loses the race to a boy in $10 swim shorts.

The fact is, wearing a dress draws attention to you immediately and people expect to see a certain level of skating.

Its not something thats to do with adults necesarily. I've seen coaches have a laugh when some 10 yr old stepped out on the ice like a little diva in a pink frilly dress and was doing miserable 2 foot spins for her mom. If you wear a dress and skate at a low level people will laugh at you- even if they don't make it obvious.I agree that, on a public skating session, a dress or skirt draws attention, but it should not draw ridicule to the skater. It's wrong, especially on the part of the coaches you've described. Obviously, this is a common occurrence at your rink, so you're right to avoid overdressing.

As a coach, I really hate it when rank beginners come out wearing dresses because the first thing they have to learn is falling down and getting up. Once little ones get a chill or get hurt, teaching them becomes more difficult.

However, when I see a skater (even a slow one with bad form on a public session) wearing a skirt, I figure it's a motivational tool. Whatever works and I pledge not to mock anyone (even Steven) for wearing a skirt.

As for swimming, the spectators don't really notice the suit unless it's a bodyskimmer. A fancy (or skintight) suit takes microseconds off your time, rarely enough in youth swimming to win or lose the race. Plus, someone has to come in last,whether by a nose or a length. I assume your $400 swim trunk example is made up. Unless the trunks were made of gold and the weight held the poor kid back! LOL

Back to original topic: it takes some courage to change over from sweats to a skating outfit. As some posters pointed out, make sure the skirts/dresses fit properly. Try wearing the clothes at home so you get more comfortable in them. I know that, after wearing skirts/dresses for many years, you get used to wearing them. Which makes walking into Barnes & Noble after skating much more interesting. (Why are these people looking at me? Oh yeah...) What do the other skaters wear? Do they change afterward?

Skate@Delaware
08-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Back to original topic: it takes some courage to change over from sweats to a skating outfit. As some posters pointed out, make sure the skirts/dresses fit properly. Try wearing the clothes at home so you get more comfortable in them. I know that, after wearing skirts/dresses for many years, you get used to wearing them. Which makes walking into Barnes & Noble after skating much more interesting. (Why are these people looking at me? Oh yeah...) What do the other skaters wear? Do they change afterward?
It is a huge leap to change from street clothes into skating clothes. I switched for several reasons: needed stretchy clothes that would allow me to bend; the clothes would help me "feel" like a skater; less baggy clothes helps my coach see the line of my leg (good or bad).

When I switched, I felt less like a person in Learn-To-Skate and more like a freestyle skater...more mental than anything but it did help.

If I am going straight home after skating, I usually don't change (unless it's summer, then I do). If I have another place to go (lengthy visit or something like that) I will change. I usually don't change if I'm running into the market for milk and stuff. I usually wear legging type pants, but will occasionally wear dresses or leotard/skirt combos. With those, I can put pants on and go out. If I am going into the store, I throw on my skating jacket....usually covers me for any weird looks I get.:lol:

CFP
08-11-2006, 06:32 PM
yep, i can relate.
i think it's pretentious unless your competing. sorry if that sounds crass!:halo:
the 'naked-est' i get is maybe shorts with tights.:)
as for dance clothing,,, i just my recieved catalouge yesterday,,,wish i could remember the name! i'll check and pm you later.
also try dancediscountsupply... i've bought alot knit shorts, leg warmers and unitards from there,, not bad prices! lots of frilly ballet-jazz clothing too.:)

beachbabe
08-11-2006, 08:01 PM
I agree that, on a public skating session, a dress or skirt draws attention, but it should not draw ridicule to the skater. It's wrong, especially on the part of the coaches you've described. Obviously, this is a common occurrence at your rink, so you're right to avoid overdressing.

As a coach, I really hate it when rank beginners come out wearing dresses because the first thing they have to learn is falling down and getting up. Once little ones get a chill or get hurt, teaching them becomes more difficult.

However, when I see a skater (even a slow one with bad form on a public session) wearing a skirt, I figure it's a motivational tool. Whatever works and I pledge not to mock anyone (even Steven) for wearing a skirt.

As for swimming, the spectators don't really notice the suit unless it's a bodyskimmer. A fancy (or skintight) suit takes microseconds off your time, rarely enough in youth swimming to win or lose the race. Plus, someone has to come in last,whether by a nose or a length. I assume your $400 swim trunk example is made up. Unless the trunks were made of gold and the weight held the poor kid back! LOL

finally someone understands what i was getting at! Wearing a dress draws attention (good and bad). Not necessarily ridicule. And unfortunately it happens even more on freestyles where the 10 year olds stand around and talk instead of practicing.

as for the swim trunks example- I meantioned it because i have a guy friend who does swimming very seriously and I have had to sit through hours of complaining by him about how his mom won't give him money to buy this special bodysuit for swimming that supposedly all the prfessionals wear and it costs $400 and many of the other boys bought it.

What I was trying to point out is that my friend who swims in plain ol' speedos has won more races than like 20 of the $400 swim trunk boys combined and made it to state championships in his good ol' speedos. Proving that looking the part- doesn't make you a world class athlete.

Chico
08-11-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm sorry sonic. =-( Folks can be poops.Your coach SHOULD be your skating support system.

I think Steven said things in a great way. Life is to be enjoyed and if wearing something makes you feel good do it. You should make skating be what you want because you won't get another chance to do things different some other life. Some kid skaters are great friends and supporters to adult skaters, coaches too, and others aren't at the rink. (Same with skating parents. Some of the nastiest wouldn't try skating for anything, they just talk about it.) You will learn unfortunately. Enjoy the one group and avoid the others. Thankfully I don't have but a few at my rink. Please don't fret about your skating clothes so much. Enjoy yourself.

Chico

shutterbug
08-11-2006, 10:54 PM

Delurking briefly to add my $.02……. I’ve tried pretty much the entire spectrum of skating apparel over the years, and have found that the longer I skate, the less I care about what I wear. I’m at the point now that when I’m on the ice, I’m so focused on my skating, that what’s on my body is the last thing on my mind. I don’t skate any “better” or “prettier” in a skirt/dress – my coach expects my best effort regardless of what I’m wearing. I choose to skate in pants because the rinks I skate are very cold and require numerous layers of polar fleece, both top and bottom, to stay warm enough to be flexible. I consider myself an athlete first, and as an athlete I dress to maximize my performance. If I skated in a very warm rink (in my dreams, LOL), a dress or skirt might be the most appropriate. My advice is to wear whatever clothing allows you to perform your best, just like you did when you were swimming and not worry about what people think. What you wear doesn’t define you as a skater – your skills do.

SDFanatic
08-11-2006, 11:45 PM
What you wear doesn’t define you as a skater – your skills do.
If only that were true in Cleveland Ohio.

Steven

VegasGirl
08-12-2006, 07:50 AM
Please wear what you are comfortable with, I am in no way responsible if it results in you looking stupid.

And yet another arrogant comment... :roll:
Sorry to hear that apparently there are quite a few petty people out there that just 'look' bad no matter what they wear or at how high a level they skate...

VegasGirl
08-12-2006, 08:14 AM
I agree that, on a public skating session, a dress or skirt draws attention, but it should not draw ridicule to the skater. It's wrong, especially on the part of the coaches you've described. Obviously, this is a common occurrence at your rink, so you're right to avoid overdressing.

Very well said... thank you!

Back to original topic: it takes some courage to change over from sweats to a skating outfit. As some posters pointed out, make sure the skirts/dresses fit properly. Try wearing the clothes at home so you get more comfortable in them. I know that, after wearing skirts/dresses for many years, you get used to wearing them.

So true, which in a sense is sort of said since it shows that there is a fear of ridicule which really shouldn't be there.
I started out skating in jazz pants, had the same thoughts as many hear, that I felt only a good skater was supposed to wear dresses. Silly, really and purely a thought adult skaters have... no little girl would feel/think this way, quite on the contrary! And to take that thought further, don't we rather encourage than discourage it at that (a young) age thinking how cute and feeling it almost a necessary piece of equipment?

Any way, after some encouragement from my coach back then I decided to give competing a try (being a Gamma level skater at the time) and with that came the need to wear a dress. As I couldn't imagine anything worth than being nervous and uncomfortable in a dress getting on the ice during a competition, I figured I better get used to the feeling and bought a practice dress. The first time I wore it during group lesson I was soooo nervous and selfconcsious barely wanting to face the other skaters as they stepped on the ice! To my surprise though they were all very positive in their responses even those in much higher levels than me (and noone else wore a dress during adult class at the time). Then came the coach and I almost ran off the ice I was that nervous... silly I know and unfounded to boot... he looked at me and said "Nice, you finally look like the figure skater that you are!"
Never felt selfconscious about wearing a dress again. :)

Not just that but as the weeks went by other skaters started earing dresses as well... first the two teens in the class then the mother of one of them... it was just that one had to make the start to get everyone to realise that there was no reason to fear ridicule!!!

By now, almost 2 years later, I barely can imagine practicing in pants again... now there's another 'mind block' in that pants seem hindersome even if or when they're not. :)

Which makes walking into Barnes & Noble after skating much more interesting. (Why are these people looking at me? Oh yeah...)

Know the feeling... in Vegas I never changed after skating, just wore my skating dresses to do my shopping... no biggy there any way, not even any funny looks and only on occassion the question which casino I worked for. :lol:

Here I changed that habit a bit mostly because of the weather but right now, with the weather nice and warm you can still find me doing my grocery shopping in skate wear.

P.S. My competition dress is ofcourse reserved for solely that purpose, I don't wear during classes or practice time except for the last practice or so before a competition... dress rehearsal so to speak.

Mrs Redboots
08-12-2006, 09:36 AM
I do think it varies enormously from rink to rink. At some rinks, it's perhaps not "done" to wear a skirt and tights unless you are an elite skater. At others, it doesn't seem to matter what you wear.

At my own rink people wear anything from skirts and leggings to shorts and tights - some people ring the changes nearly every session, others always wear the same kind of thing. I prefer skating in tights and a skirt (I found some wonderful 100-denier tights last winter, which made it possible to do so all winter - usually I end up in trousers simply for reasons of temperature) for reasons I've already given, and I've noticed that most, but not all, of our women ice dancers do the same.

Rusty Blades
08-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Shutterbug? Oh oh! Is that YOU? (Another lady from my home rink!)

I guess I am committed to being the giant grape popcicle now - LOL!!! 8O :mrgreen:

sk8_4fun
08-12-2006, 02:03 PM
well I've just ordered my first pair of skating tights, I just have to find the right skirt now!!!!!8O

SkatingOnClouds
08-13-2006, 03:35 AM
I first made my daughter a couple of bright coloured lycra unitards with skirt sewn in. She had a competition coming up, and I figured she would spend more time admiring herself in her dress than concentrating on her skating, so I wanted her to get used to that feeling. I am very glad I did that, it worked. The first couple of sessions her outfit and how she looked in it were all she could focus on. She was fine in her competition dress.

And lots of others started wearing skirts and dresses as well, regardless of their level.

Since the competition pretty much everyone has gone back to their pants, but I know that they'll start wearing skirts again if others do.

I think it is sad that there be any ridicule for wearing the uniform of a sport. There is plenty to ridicule about how I look when skating, however, because of my age and size, so I am determined to wear what makes me feel comfortable on any given day.

Skittl1321
08-13-2006, 07:56 AM
I'm a bit late in the game- but I figured I'd chime in.

When I was a little girl I always wanted a cute skating skirt, but never really skated much more than at the mall. Luck had it that I was able to buy a bunch of skating attire from a friend who was quitting. However, I didn't think I was "good enough" to wear a skirt.

I decided to use it as a reward- when I learned backward crossovers, I could wear a skirt. I did, and so I did. I found out that I love skating in a skirt. I got a kind of rude comment from my instructor (oooh, look at the pretty skater in a not nice voice, IMO, he might not have meant it that way) but I also noticed I got better corrections because he could see my legs. I got lots of compliments from the adults in my class.

However, that session has since ended and I haven't worn a skirt yet. I still don't feel "good enough" to wear one on a public session, and I'm not in a class of people I know yet.

I think it's sad the stigma attached to wearing skirts. Because they are fun to skate in.

Anyhow, I plan to skate in it again once I get to know the people at my new rink better.

Emberchyld
08-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Proving that looking the part- doesn't make you a world class athlete.

But remember, we're not wearing these clothes to become world class athletes. We're wearing them because we want to, and feel comfortable doing so. In no way did I believe that I suddenly would magically be able to do a triple axel as soon as I put on a skirt and tights.

And as for the line of thinking that other people have on here about pretensions.... then does that mean:

1. Adult (or teen) beginner ballet students aren't allowed to wear a leotard and tights because they haven't "earned" them? Or maybe they can wear a leo and tights, but they can't be nice looking ones-- just basic tank? Or no thigh-high legwarmers or knit shrugs or dance skirts or shorts from discount dance supply? I'm sure there are some close-minded people in the dance community who would say so. I guess everyone who is not planning on joining a professional dance company should just wear tight-fitting clothes.

2. Beginner fencers (and I used to volunteer coach fencing in college) can't wear fencing sneakers because that would raise expectations about their abilities? How about only using standard knickers and jackets and lames instead of some of the cuter (competition approved) colored lames and jackets stenciled with their names? You can only move into "good" uniforms and bags once you've moved from C strip to B strip or A strip.

3. Everybody going to the gym has to wear only Target or WalMart work out clothes until they earn the right to wear UnderArmor or Champion? And joggers can't wear the better sneakers until they can run at least 5 miles at a clip?

4. And even if you have the disposable income to do so, you can only buy $10 swim clothes unless you're a world-class swimmer?

Strapping a pair of skates onto your feet and practicing from age 2 every minute of the day won't guarantee that you'll be a world-class athlete, either-- does that mean that you can only wear a skirt and tights the day that you reach seniors and not before? Then again, there are also a lot of people who feel that skating isn't a sport, so does that make any argument about athletes moot?

Everyone has a right to wear what they feel comfortable wearing. Especially as adults, because hopefully by now we have become comfortable with ourselves and confident with our choices. (of course, I feel more uncomfortable when I'm wearing my Flyers fleece or T-shirt on a public session in North Jersey Devils country than a skirt (or even being naked). But that's just because, when one of the irate Devils fans decide to take me out, I'm not fast enough to avoid them! Then it becomes a matter of safety!)

VegasGirl
08-13-2006, 08:35 AM
*LOL* Suuuper post Emberchyld... I especially love the last part!!! 8-)

Skate@Delaware
08-13-2006, 09:19 AM
I rarely wear street clothes anymore when I skate....on private/club sessions OR public! I just feel more comfortable wearing skating attire. It's warmer and allows me to bend more. If I fall and get wet, it dries faster. Nothing like the feeling of wearing jeans that stay wet for the whole session :cry:

I also encourage people at my rink to skate in stretchy-type clothing (not necessarily skating duds, just stuff that moves with them) for the same reasons. Whether they get dresses or pants is entirely up to them.

At my home rink, you see everything from ski pants (on the little tykes), goth looks and farm coveralls to competition dresses during LTS and public. I rarely hear anyone laugh. No one really cares.

If I see laces dragging, or pants too long and posing a safety hazard, I will speak up. If I see a cute dress I will say so. But I won't pick on anyone for their choice in fashion. Nothing shoots down a young person's positive self-worth faster than ragging on what they choose to wear. Especially if done by an adult (who should know better). C'mon, we are supposed to be role models and positive influences on these kids (and even other adults).

Mrs Redboots
08-13-2006, 09:34 AM
I rarely wear street clothes anymore when I skate....on private/club sessions OR public! I just feel more comfortable wearing skating attire. It's warmer and allows me to bend more. If I fall and get wet, it dries faster. Nothing like the feeling of wearing jeans that stay wet for the whole session :cry:

I also encourage people at my rink to skate in stretchy-type clothing (not necessarily skating duds, just stuff that moves with them) for the same reasons. Whether they get dresses or pants is entirely up to them.

Yes, one cannot skate well in jeans, as you really need something a bit more flexible. Very old, tatty jeans are one thing, but fashionable ones probably aren't a great idea. Some coaches teach in jeans, but few skaters train in them.

I have to admit, I wish I'd trained in trousers of some kind this morning, since Husband wasn't there so I could have, or perhaps my 100-denier tights instead of summer-weight 40 denier ones! It was cold! And I didn't have any gloves with me, either - I seldom wear them, except for a few minutes when I need to, but I really wanted them this morning.

Skate@Delaware
08-13-2006, 09:38 AM
And I didn't have any gloves with me, either - I seldom wear them, except for a few minutes when I need to, but I really wanted them this morning.
My coach makes me take my gloves off when I run through my program....It was so funny the first time she asked me to, "So, can you skate without your gloves on or do you really need them for security or something?" 8O I was like what???? Plus, she wants me to be very aware of what my fingers do (i.e. spreading apart and not looking pretty).

So, I have to take them off and pretend I'm holding a sandwich or do the Barbie hand thing. I just hate the thought of falling and getting that nasty ice on my hands (do you know what's in that ice?) Plus, my hands get a bit cold.

beachbabe
08-13-2006, 09:29 PM
So, I have to take them off and pretend I'm holding a sandwich or do the Barbie hand thing. I just hate the thought of falling and getting that nasty ice on my hands (do you know what's in that ice?) Plus, my hands get a bit cold.

too true...some boy over here spit on the ice multiple times during a public session. It had to be scraped off lol

Chico
08-13-2006, 11:01 PM
I can relate to the glove thing. =-) I HAVE to wear my gloves or I feel naked. Like your coach, my old coach made me take them off occasionaly during my lessons. I HATED this and was on the brink of tears a few times. Stupid, but there ya go. I'm glad I have company.

Chico

Sk8pdx
08-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I can relate to the gloves thing too. I feel like the Peanuts character Linus and that little blue security blanket. I feel more naked without gloves than skating in a skirt and tights versus leggings etc...from time to time, I practice without gloves just to become more comfortable without them.

sk8_4fun
08-14-2006, 05:36 AM
too true...some boy over here spit on the ice multiple times during a public session. It had to be scraped off lol

eeeeewwwwww!!!!!8O

Skate@Delaware
08-14-2006, 10:22 AM

Yeah, when I see the little kids scraping up ice for "snowballs" and eating it :yum:....makes me want to PUKE!!! I let them know what goes onto the ice....they stop. I tell them to go wash their hands too (if they aren't wearing gloves). My rink only disinfects the ice once a month.

Gloves are also a nice place to tuck a tissue if you have no pockets!

Isk8NYC
08-14-2006, 10:31 AM
I've actually stopped kids at public sessions WITH THEIR PARENTS next to them who were trying to eat ice scrapings. Ughhh.

I teach my beginners not to look at the ice by saying: "There's nothing to see there but hockey player spit, who wants to see that?"

dbny
08-14-2006, 11:23 AM
I teach my beginners not to look at the ice by saying: "There's nothing to see there but hockey player spit, who wants to see that?"

Love it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hannah
08-14-2006, 09:48 PM
My rink only disinfects the ice once a month.

The ice gets disinfected? 8O (I hope they do it at my rink...)

mikawendy
08-14-2006, 10:04 PM

Wow, I've never heard of that.

On occasion, some of the rinks I skate at replace the rubber mats around the rink and lobby. But they do it so infrequently that anything that falls on the floor is immediately biohazard anyhow. (Especially the benches on the far side of the rink near the penalty box. It REALLY reeks over there permanently. I try not to relace over in that area because it's so gross.)

Rusty Blades
08-15-2006, 04:34 AM
I am SOOOO glad figure skaters are not THAT gross!

Isk8NYC
08-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Ah, yes, figure skaters aren't *that* gross. Except for the younger kids, who really should be supervised, that leave food laying around (fries with ketchup), spill things, litter with used tissues, and stuff up the toilets with too much paper. Don't forget the lovely toilet-paper ceiling decor. But at least they don't spit or urinate on the floor, you're right! ;)

Mrs Redboots
08-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Ah, yes, figure skaters aren't *that* gross. Except for the younger kids, who really should be supervised, that leave food laying around (fries with ketchup), spill things, litter, and stuff up the toilets with too much paper. Don't forget the lovely toilet-paper ceiling decor.What, even on training ice? Here, the ones who use the training ice are serious skaters - it's the public session lot that make the mess.

Isk8NYC
08-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Absolutely during public sessions, mostly during LTS group lessons, but also during freestyles. Usually the freestyles are shorter, so there's less time for them to get messy. The used tissues are awful, though. One rink I worked at put a tissue box right next to the trash pail, which was a great idea: they blew their noses and tossed it right out, PLUS they were neater with throwing away other trash since they might have had to go back to that spot later.

I am talking about the little kids, not the 11-and-up crew. Adult figure skaters make the least amount of mess, IMHO. I just don't understand why rinks don't cater to us more.

Skate@Delaware
08-15-2006, 10:40 AM
Maybe it's a state health requirement....once a month, they spray the surface with a chemical that really stinks but it disenfects the ice. They also spray the hockey boxes.

We are lucky because our entire rink is drained and disassembled at the end of April every year and reassembled in late-August. I'm told the stuff gets sprayed in between. Maybe that's another reason we don't have MAJOR ice problems (just minor ones).

The floors are done with a sweeper/squeegie machine, but it doesn't do that great a job-they are still sticky so you NEED to wear blade guards!

Rusty Blades
08-15-2006, 05:49 PM
They also spray the hockey boxes.

They ought to just spray the hockey players and get rid of the problem 8O :roll:

SDFanatic
08-15-2006, 10:36 PM
They ought to just spray the hockey players and get rid of the problem 8O :roll:
Seconded :twisted:

WannabeS8r
08-18-2006, 05:56 PM
I've also had such people try to do spirals when they see someone doing them, saying things like 'this is soo easy' loudly as they go passed you.

Lmao that happened to me too!! I was doing a Biellmann spiral and this guy (at least 17 years old, by the way) skating right parallel of me tried to do it, only grabbing his hockey skate completely differently. And smirking. I was like "he!! with you!!"

Seriously the way out is: Don't care what everyone else thinks!

Thank you. *bows*

Skate@Delaware
08-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Lmao that happened to me too!! I was doing a Biellmann spiral and this guy (at least 17 years old, by the way) skating right parallel of me tried to do it, only grabbing his hockey skate completely differently. And smirking. I was like "he!! with you!!"

Seriously the way out is: Don't care what everyone else thinks!

Thank you. *bows*
or you say, "Cute! just add a skirt and you'll be ready!-TWIRL GURL!!!" I think that would shut him up.

Seriously, the best thing to do is ignore people like that....tune them OUT and look right through them as if they don't exist. That takes all the wind out of their sails!!!!

Mrs Redboots
08-19-2006, 07:46 AM
Things to say to hockey wannabes:

"Wouldn't you rather skate with a woman than a stick" (only they usually say things like "No, sticks don't argue" or "No, sticks are cheaper to replace when you break them!")

"Of course, if figure skating were easy, they'd call it hockey!"

sk8_4fun
08-19-2006, 12:55 PM
"Of course, if figure skating were easy, they'd call it hockey!"

:giveup: lol lol!!!!!

Sonic
08-19-2006, 01:03 PM
:lol: :lol:

S xxx

mikawendy
08-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Absolutely during public sessions, mostly during LTS group lessons, but also during freestyles. Usually the freestyles are shorter, so there's less time for them to get messy. The used tissues are awful, though. One rink I worked at put a tissue box right next to the trash pail, which was a great idea: they blew their noses and tossed it right out, PLUS they were neater with throwing away other trash since they might have had to go back to that spot later.

I am talking about the little kids, not the 11-and-up crew. Adult figure skaters make the least amount of mess, IMHO. I just don't understand why rinks don't cater to us more.

I remember last fall being at the rink and a fairly high level dance team was getting a lesson. As they used tissues, they placed them in a line on the barrier until there was about a 4-foot line of wadded, used tissues on the barrier. Yummmmmy! :x

WannabeS8r
08-20-2006, 09:09 PM
"Wouldn't you rather skate with a woman than a stick"

Lol I tried that one, it worked! :P

(By the way, I didn't actually say "he!! with you"! lol)

DressageChica
08-20-2006, 11:36 PM
If you want to wear a skirt, wear one.

Those skaters who stand and make fun of other people soon become not so great skaters...and the skaters who make the most of their practice time and money become the better skaters. Quite honestly, I can barely remember who I see at a freestyle session let alone what other people are wearing. I have too many spins and jumps to practice. I can't even practice everything that needs to be practiced in the short amount of time that I'm there.

The best skaters will not stand on the boards and make fun of someone. They will be out on the ice busting their you know whats to stand their ground of being one of the better skaters.

Emberchyld
08-21-2006, 11:08 AM

You know, now I can barely stomach touching the ice since this part of the thread began!

I guess that's one way to work on avoiding falls....

itfigures
08-21-2006, 11:41 AM
Don't worry about wearing a skirt! Many people are affraid to wear a skirt, expecxially there first time! I thought it would be uncomforatable but actually i think it is better than wearing pants. If you were to buy skating tights I recomend a better brand they are a little bit harder to rip. (They are more expencive though)

Has any one ever had a hocky player spit at them!? I was tring to land a flip the hockey players were waiting for the session to end and wammo! One of the girls spat right next to my boot! yuck! Thats the last time I look at hockey players the same way again!

Isk8NYC
08-21-2006, 12:00 PM
You know, now I can barely stomach touching the ice since this part of the thread began!....I guess that's one way to work on avoiding falls....Sorry - gross but true! I always wash my hands before I eat or leave the rink.

Chico
11-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Hi,

I felt like you once. I didn't want to wear tights or a skirt. In fact, I wanted to stay in my jeans. The harder my coach pushed the more firm I became in my resolve. He was right, being in tights and leggings is much easier. However, I had to come to terms on my own to try. I have a new coach and she brought the topic up once and then let me be. I did it on my own and under my own power when the time was right for me. I have worn leggings with a skirt over the top but have ditched the skirt of late. I find them annoying...and I had the embarassing experience of spinning a wrap skirt off. I almost killed myself stepping on it as I came out of my spin. =-0 Personally I was shy about having everything about my figure showing...tights/leggings don't hide much. I also was aware of the "good" skater image and wearing tights/leggings. I didn't want folks watching me when I didn't feel worthy. I feel more worthy nowadays, and I forget to worry about the body image thing as I concentrate on my skating too much to think about it. I've learned that most folks really don't "look", their busy skating, so if you want to wear the gear do so. It's okay not to be ready...

Chico

blue111moon
11-20-2006, 07:39 AM
Way back in Neanderthal Times (the early 80's) when I first started skating, if you wanted to skate on club ice, then you HAD to wear skating attire. The club had a dress code and if you didn't follow it, you were asked to get off the ice. So for my very first non-group lesson, I had to wear a skirt, tights and a zip-front Inga sweater. I thought I'd be mortified - and frozen - but since everyone else was wearing pretty much the same uniform (the boys wore black skating pants), it wasn't a big deal.

Now, there's no dress code and I rarely wear a skirt to practice - but it's mostly because it's too cold at the rink for my aging bones.

As for the snotty twits on public session who make comments about other skaters wearing skirts, well, I think it says more about the twits' characters - or lack thereof - than it does about the skaters wearing the skirts.

LilJen
01-09-2007, 08:32 PM
So many of you said you wear yoga pants to skate in. I thought that maybe yoga pants would flare so much at the bottom that they'd be dangerous--well, recently proved my theory right when I ripped the heck out of a pair. . . I'm pegging them before I get back on the ice again. Anyone else had this problem? Other ideas on what to do to rein in the dangerous amount of extra fabric?

tidesong
01-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Well I've been skating in Jazz pants, Yoga pants, granny stretch pants... anything thats stretchy because they are usually much cheaper than skating tights I can get the pants for $3-$15 whereas my skating tights are $15-$30 so I keep my precious skating tights for tests and competitions.

For the flare on some of the pants, I just hand sew them in. Simple back stitch on the reverse side to make sure the pants taper along the shape of my lower leg. That solves all the tripping problems for me.

But I do enjoy wearing the skin coloured tights and a dress, its fun to "dress up" for me, but its just not worth the hassle (apart from wanting to keep those expensive things in good condition) like because I hand wash my skating dresses and skating tights but I just toss my tank tops/t shirts/pants into the washing machine.

Hannah
01-09-2007, 10:02 PM
If I tried to sew my pants, they'd turn into curtains or something. :giveup:

So I cut the bottom 5 inches off two pairs of cheap sweatpants (resembling yoga pants, flared bottoms), and now they hang at the top of my skate. Haven't caught them yet, but I don't do any jumps.

Mrs Redboots
01-10-2007, 12:34 PM
So many of you said you wear yoga pants to skate in. I thought that maybe yoga pants would flare so much at the bottom that they'd be dangerous--well, recently proved my theory right when I ripped the heck out of a pair. . . I'm pegging them before I get back on the ice again. Anyone else had this problem? Other ideas on what to do to rein in the dangerous amount of extra fabric?Two words: Boot covers.

Or make a casing at the bottom and thread elastic through them.

jenlyon60
01-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Fold or wrap the extra fabric around bottom of leg and put a leg warmer over it.

Helen88
01-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Haven't tried skating in a skirt or dress yet - although you lot have COMLETELY put me off wearing my jeans ;) . I hate it when I go to the rink - in my black combats, and my black hoodie, and my black eyeliner - and you can see people thinking, "why is she wearing FIGURE skates!?" I'm just not the stereotypical skater I guess.

NickiT
01-10-2007, 01:49 PM
So many of you said you wear yoga pants to skate in. I thought that maybe yoga pants would flare so much at the bottom that they'd be dangerous--well, recently proved my theory right when I ripped the heck out of a pair. . . I'm pegging them before I get back on the ice again. Anyone else had this problem? Other ideas on what to do to rein in the dangerous amount of extra fabric?

I don't practise in any sort of trousers/pants that flare out at the bottom. I've caught my blade in them on back spins before and it wasn't pleasant.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
01-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Haven't tried skating in a skirt or dress yet - although you lot have COMLETELY put me off wearing my jeans ;) . I hate it when I go to the rink - in my black combats, and my black hoodie, and my black eyeliner - and you can see people thinking, "why is she wearing FIGURE skates!?" I'm just not the stereotypical skater I guess.Are any of us? At my rink, go to any patch session and you'll find all ages and both sexes, skaters from seven (or younger) to over seventy.....

Do you have black skates, or the white or beige ones that the majority of women wear?

(And yes, skating in jeans isn't a great idea - you'll do much better with something that moves with you and doesn't get clammy when wet!).

Ellyn
01-10-2007, 04:05 PM
I have worn leggings with a skirt over the top but have ditched the skirt of late. I find them annoying...and I had the embarassing experience of spinning a wrap skirt off. I almost killed myself stepping on it as I came out of my spin. =-0 Personally I was shy about having everything about my figure showing...tights/leggings don't hide much.

My solution to this issue is to wear tights or leggings with shorts over them. (Short shorts that I would NEVER wear in public without tights or leggings:) )

crayonskater
01-10-2007, 11:24 PM
At my rink, usually no one beyond the little kids wears practice dresses unless they're competing or performing. The elite skaters wear leggings or stirrup pants with tank top type shirts or leotards.

For an adult woman to walk in wearing a cutesy little skirt would probably raise some eyebrows. Why? Because adults here generally don't wear cutesy skirts, and it would probably be seen as betraying a Michelle Kwan wannabe complex.

But I don't think anyone would be out and out rude about it.

It's probably just local culture, too. Embrchyld gave some good examples, but my experience runs contrary to it. If you showed up in my ballet class, all beginner adults, in a leotard, pink tights, and a perfect bun, you'd look woefully out of place. In the intermediate class, where they've figured out their right from their left, you'll see a few more leotards.

The beginning fencer who rushes out and buys the Olympic level jacket with her name across the back and the orthopedic grips on the foils before she masters point control is going to be thought of as silly. (Former collegiate fencer here; and yes, we did practice in ill-fitting equipment.)

The beginning swimmer who wanted Ian Thorpe's swimsuit before he'd managed a good crawl stroke would be giggled at. Same thing with the newbie skier who insists that the reason he's slow on the bunny hill is the wax on his skiis.

None of this really matters if you don't care, or if you're more comfortable in skirts. But I think there's a tendency among relative beginners in sports to want to show that they belong in the sport they've joined up, and a tendency by seasoned veterans to giggle at the newbies in their new togs. If that bothers you, that might be something to consider. If it doesn't, go for it.

Personally, I freeze my butt off anyway, so skirts aren't an option.

mikawendy
01-10-2007, 11:57 PM
But I do enjoy wearing the skin coloured tights and a dress, its fun to "dress up" for me, but its just not worth the hassle (apart from wanting to keep those expensive things in good condition) like because I hand wash my skating dresses and skating tights but I just toss my tank tops/t shirts/pants into the washing machine.

Once you have a pair of tights that has a run or a snag in them or something that makes them not wearable for competition, you could wear them for practice if you like the "dressed-up feeling" of wearing tights and a dress. I have a pair that I reserve for practice (plus I wear an old pair of non-skating tights beneath because I get cold and to keep my knee pads from moving around). That one has holes where I've caught my ankle with my blade, so I'd not wear them for competition, but they're fine for practicing.

Hannah
01-11-2007, 12:51 AM
I hate it when I go to the rink - in my black combats, and my black hoodie, and my black eyeliner - and you can see people thinking, "why is she wearing FIGURE skates!?" I'm just not the stereotypical skater I guess.

I dare you to do a show in a get-up like that. :D Today, I saw a woman with hot pink hair (at college, not at the rink), and I wanted that color! Too bad the people in the MBA program respect me already. :roll:

(Edit: It occurs to me that that might be taken offensively, given the lack of facial expressions and body language in type- I meant it nicely!!!)

Rusty Blades
01-11-2007, 03:27 AM
Once you have a pair of tights that has a run or a snag in them or something that makes them not wearable for competition, you could wear them for practice . . . .

LOL!

I am quite "tight" and tend to get my money's worth out of things but some of the tights I see on the ice here even I would have thrown away! Oh well, it IS just practice :roll:

Mrs Redboots
01-11-2007, 04:03 AM
At my rink, usually no one beyond the little kids wears practice dresses unless they're competing or performing. The elite skaters wear leggings or stirrup pants with tank top type shirts or leotards. It does depend on local culture, as I've been to rinks where everybody - at least, all the females!!!! - wore a practice-dress, and others where nobody did. At ours, the dancers do tend to wear skirts and tights (you really don't want to have someone grabbing your leg to haul you in the air if you've got something round your leg that might move), but anything goes, and nobody cares!

I remember a thread on the old, long-defunct uDel mailing list on similar lines - in some areas, you went to the rink wearing full make-up and with tidy hair, and expected your (female) instructors to show up similarly-attired; in others, make-up is never worn until the session has finished!

Emberchyld
01-11-2007, 12:35 PM
It's probably just local culture, too. Embrchyld gave some good examples, but my experience runs contrary to it. If you showed up in my ballet class, all beginner adults, in a leotard, pink tights, and a perfect bun, you'd look woefully out of place. In the intermediate class, where they've figured out their right from their left, you'll see a few more leotards.

The beginning fencer who rushes out and buys the Olympic level jacket with her name across the back and the orthopedic grips on the foils before she masters point control is going to be thought of as silly. (Former collegiate fencer here; and yes, we did practice in ill-fitting equipment.)

The beginning swimmer who wanted Ian Thorpe's swimsuit before he'd managed a good crawl stroke would be giggled at. Same thing with the newbie skier who insists that the reason he's slow on the bunny hill is the wax on his skiis.

It's unfortunate that the seasoned veterans that you've mentioned have giggled at newbies... In all of the above (note, I don't swim, so I can't speak to that), we were always encouraged to do what's best for us.

I've been to many ballet schools (adult, kid, teen, and open classes with professional dancers) where some teachers will actually throw you out if you don't have a black leo and pink tight-- why? Because this is equipment that allows the teacher to assess if you are doing the movements correctly. You cannot see if someone is forcing their turnout from their feet or knees in baggy pants (or even black tights), or if your hips are uneven in a t-shirt or jazz pants. Some adult classes that I have attended did allow the adults to wear whatever they felt comfortable wearing, but that was because, well, just like there are some adults in the skating world who don't feel comfortable ever wearing tights and a skirt, there are many adults who don't feel comfortable in a class, with a big mirror, in tights and a leotard. The informal dress code was not because they didn't earn it, or because anyone would laugh It's sad to hear that you've had the opposite experience.

As a former collegiate fencer and coach, and as someone who has friends who still coach, I have to say, I've never thought of anyone as silly for getting excited enough to get their own decent fencing equipment (rather than deal with the loaner equipment that I was always sewing back into shape or that some of the other fencers would patch back together)-- even high quality fencing equipment. I was glad that they were excited enough about fencing to invest in equipment, and we always encouraged them to get the better quality if they could afford it because, to be perfectly honest, a lot of the beginner kits were absolute junk, too thin material, and didn't always fit all fencers. My friends who coach are also always happy when their newbies "get into" the sport-- the only time that any one of us felt bad was when they would drop all of the money and then decide that fencing was not for them before the mask even got sweaty.
Personally, I had to purchase my own grips sometimes because I was a french grip fencer, but when I had to fence american grip, I could only use certain styles-- ditto for gloves for my tiny hands and chest protectors for my chest. And while I was recognized as a good coach, I wasn't an olympic level fencer-- no JOs or even ranking.
The most that I saw from anyone whenever a newbie went out and bought REALLY nice santelli equipment, their own lames, amazing blades, etc, was envy from some of the other fencers (hey, we were college students, and the guys would rib each other about "rich mommies and daddies"... before getting back to serious work), but never, ever ridicule.

Then again, I would bust their butts if they ever got so high and mighty to think otherwise:twisted: . And most other coaches I know do the same.

My point? It's very sad when anybody speaks of ridicule and laughter, and those who do ridicule, imho, must either be just plain mean or insecure with themselves.

Like I said in an earlier post-- I get little hockey goons and teenage toe-picking public skaters who toddle around me and the other people working hard in the center "imitating" the "figure skaters". Someone is always going to find something to say about you, no matter who you are or what you wear... you can't let things like that bother you.

Sonic
01-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Like I said in an earlier post-- I get little hockey goons and teenage toe-picking public skaters who toddle around me and the other people working hard in the center "imitating" the "figure skaters". Someone is always going to find something to say about you, no matter who you are or what you wear... you can't let things like that bother you.

I totally agree with you. I was skating today in a fashionable (and fairly flattering) pair of jeans today and still had a few idiots in hockey skates taking the p*** - but who cares? They looked even stupider than I did, not to mentioned nearly maimed themelves!:lol:

I don't usually wear skirts on a public session, apart from ones where there are dance intervals, but have totally been converted into a skirt-wearer, I feel less 'clumpy' and inelegant. Plus, I am hoping that wearing a skirt regularly will stop it feeling so wierd (and cold!) when wearing a dress for competitions.

S xxx

crayonskater
01-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Let me be clear: I'm not endorsing laughing at anyone. And the laughing that would occur wouldn't rise above friendly ribbing, most likely. No one would laugh in my ballet class, but leggings and tank tops are the standard, not leotards, and if you're self-conscious, you might feel worse.

But judging *does* go on, and it's not always intentionally mean, but if it is the sort of thing that would really bother someone, it might be something to keep in mind.

mikawendy
01-11-2007, 10:58 PM
I dare you to do a show in a get-up like that. :D Today, I saw a woman with hot pink hair (at college, not at the rink), and I wanted that color! Too bad the people in the MBA program respect me already. :roll:

(Edit: It occurs to me that that might be taken offensively, given the lack of facial expressions and body language in type- I meant it nicely!!!)

There's a girl who gets lessons on one of the freestyle sessions I attend, and she had really awesome looking magenta hair a few weeks ago. Then she changed it to black, and then I think a different color. It always looks very cool (and so does her makeup).

Helen88
01-12-2007, 09:56 AM
I thought about dyeing my hair black, but I decided against it. Didn't think the school would be too please...:halo:

Emberchyld
01-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Waay off topic, but since the corporate world would never let me get away with odd-colored hair, I've gotten into the clip-in hair extensions. Then I can have my blue or red or green or purple streaked hair anytime I want.

I got mine at Ulta-- and for the colors that I really wanted but couldn't find, I just dyed blonde extensions with manic panic. If you clip them in just right, it actually looks like your real hair is streaked!

Mrs Redboots
01-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Waay off topic, but since the corporate world would never let me get away with odd-colored hair, I've gotten into the clip-in hair extensions. Then I can have my blue or red or green or purple streaked hair anytime I want.You can buy wash-out ones here, that you just put on your hair (even I, at my advanced age, enjoy being crazy occasionally!) with your fingers, and there are spray-on ones, too, and it washes out in the shower next morning.

Bunny Hop
01-16-2007, 11:07 AM
As a former collegiate fencer and coach, and as someone who has friends who still coach, I have to say, I've never thought of anyone as silly for getting excited enough to get their own decent fencing equipment (rather than deal with the loaner equipment that I was always sewing back into shape or that some of the other fencers would patch back together)-- even high quality fencing equipment. I was glad that they were excited enough about fencing to invest in equipment, and we always encouraged them to get the better quality if they could afford it because, to be perfectly honest, a lot of the beginner kits were absolute junk, too thin material, and didn't always fit all fencers. My friends who coach are also always happy when their newbies "get into" the sport-- the only time that any one of us felt bad was when they would drop all of the money and then decide that fencing was not for them before the mask even got sweaty.
Personally, I had to purchase my own grips sometimes because I was a french grip fencer, but when I had to fence american grip, I could only use certain styles-- ditto for gloves for my tiny hands and chest protectors for my chest. And while I was recognized as a good coach, I wasn't an olympic level fencer-- no JOs or even ranking.
The most that I saw from anyone whenever a newbie went out and bought REALLY nice santelli equipment, their own lames, amazing blades, etc, was envy from some of the other fencers (hey, we were college students, and the guys would rib each other about "rich mommies and daddies"... before getting back to serious work), but never, ever ridicule.

Off topic (sorry!): Another former fencer here. Aren't you glad that figure skating blades don't need to be replaced as often as fencing blades (usually through breakage)? Figure skating is an expensive sport, but nowhere near as expensive as fencing in terms of equipment (at lower levels anyway) - which has a lot of ongoing costs, particularly when you get to a level where a certain quality of clothing & equipment is mandatory!

Emberchyld
01-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Off topic (sorry!): Another former fencer here. Aren't you glad that figure skating blades don't need to be replaced as often as fencing blades (usually through breakage)? Figure skating is an expensive sport, but nowhere near as expensive as fencing in terms of equipment (at lower levels anyway) - which has a lot of ongoing costs, particularly when you get to a level where a certain quality of clothing & equipment is mandatory!

I know! Unfortunately, since our university didn't "get" that fencing equipment was so expensive, we had such a tiny budget that we learned how to fix everything (luckily, most of us were engineers, and we could sucker the electrical engineers into building us testers, etc).
Fortunately, I'm a foil (and randomly an epee) and I rarely broke blades... but I got very good at rewiring, fixing the tips to pass shims, and convincing one of the guys to fix the body cords (as a trade-off to sewing their jackets and knickers back together, fixing masks...). I need to replace my equipment, but I've been weighing it out-- 20hrs of freestyle or a new lame'?

(it's funny, because one of my best friends was telling me the other day about his new sabre-- he got a fantastic new blade for Christmas-- perfect balance, flexible, with an $80 blade... used it in practice, and in the first bout, it bent 90 degrees 8O Luckily, he was able to bend it back, but he say from now on that he's saving it for competition only!)

Ice Dancer
01-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Back onto topic, does anyone in the UK know of any good websites to get skating skirts and the like from?

I have decided once I can do crossovers and it gets a bit warmer to transfer across. I live in skirts in the summer so I can't see the difference.

Sonic
01-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi ice dancer

Yeah, here are two sites I've found to be quite good:

http://www.ice-dancer.co.uk/

the other one is bunty sportswear, though there seems to be a problem with their website at the moment.

S xxx

NickiT
01-18-2007, 01:50 AM
Another worth trying is www.topskate.co.uk.

It is run by the parents of a girl who used to skate at our rink and although it's been some time since I've bought anything from there, my friend does and says they're pretty good at getting stuff in. Handy too because they're not too far so you can drop in and collect if need be.

Nicki

dumpling
03-19-2007, 06:11 AM
hi Hannah,

this site might help:

http://www.pickyguide.com/sports_and_recreation/figure_skating_apparels_guide.html