View Full Version : Kind of new here . . . just wanted to say HI!

Laura H
08-08-2006, 09:45 PM
I have posted a couple of times about my 8 year old son who skates, but I didn't mention at the time that I am also taking lessons (actually, at the time, maybe I wasn't)! But I have been back in lessons for about 12 weeks now and my enthusiasm is beyond that of any of my friends/family so I figured I'd better introduce myself and start chatting!!

I am 39 years old (no really!! :D ) and I started skating in January 2005 (our rink was on the ISI program then) and took lessons that whole year, took a break in the first part of 2006, then started back again in May and have been taking lessons since then. I live down south so did not have a chance to ice skate as a child, although I roller skated and rollerbladed as much as possible. When the rink opened near us a few years back, I kept meaning to go, and finally went with my kids on a "school night" and as soon as I stepped on the ice - I was HOOKED.

Our rink switched to USFSA (not sure if that is the right acronym?) so we have been adjusting to new elements and going back and picking up some things that we didn't learn in ISI. We are lucky enough to only have 4 adult students at the moment and we are all about the same level (somewhere around the Basic 7-8 level, although we do a few things from FS1) so we are still learning lots in group lessons. I also watch DS' lessons very carefully ;) he is somewhere in the FS 1 to 2 level so I get to see what the kids are doing too!

Right now I am ecstatic over a breakthrough with the one-foot spin - I just started getting comfortable last night in adult group - and took a private today and got a few more pointers, and then I skated with the kids' Basic 7 & 8 class this evening (had to make up a class, and the adults class is ONLY on Monday). I was so tickled that I could KEEP UP WITH THE KIDS! (DS wanted me to skate in his Freeskate class, but I respectfully declined ;) ). I have had a really hard time with spins (I love to jump though!!) but have been plugging away at the two foot spin and finally have gotten it steady enough to start lifting that foot. But yesterday was the first time when it started feeling natural . . . before that I just didn't get it at all!!

The other good thing yesterday was learning the waltz jump/ballet jump in combination . . . actually my first combo and it was fun to finally put 2 things together. So far I can do a waltz jump and the half flip, and DS says I did a toe loop the other day (he was trying to show me how it is done during the public session, but I would say it was very cheated at best!!).

OK, anyway, that's my story . . . hope to chat more with you in the coming weeks and beyond!!

Isk8NYC
08-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Welcome to SkatingForums! Glad you joined us.

DallasSkater
08-09-2006, 06:24 AM
Laura: Hi and welcome. I just joined this board recently too. Started in January 2006 in group lessons and private coaching. How neat that your rink switched. Mine has ISI but there is talk of adding USFSA.

I am working hard at the one footed spin as well. Over the last week I seem to have had improvement and was tickled to get a few revolutions without dropping my shoulder which seems to be an issue when I pick up my foot. In the group lesson this week we were introduced to a scratch spin. Better immediately improve my one footed on left! eeek.

Skating is so addictive. I bet it is a blast for your son to see his mom advancing especially if his skills stay one step ahead of yours...giggle.

Hope to see you posting often. Sounds like our skill level is similar.

flo
08-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Welcome! Have fun!

Sk8pdx
08-09-2006, 02:05 PM
8-) Welcome!

jazzpants
08-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Welcome to our humble home!!! 8-) :D (I turn 39 this year, BTW...) 8O :oops: ;)

doubletoe
08-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Wonderful! :D
Heck, 39 is nothing. I didn't land my first double toeloop until I was 39. ;)
Welcome to the group!

Casey
08-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Wonderful! :D
Heck, 39 is nothing. I didn't land my first double toeloop until I was 39. ;)
Welcome to the group!
That gives me hope that I might actually figure out how to do one some day, even if it does take me until I'm 39 to do it! I'm only 26 but am insecure enough about being "too old to skate". Seeing you older people accomplishing stuff I can only dream of is really inspiring.

Welcome to skatingforums, Laura!

doubletoe
08-09-2006, 03:34 PM
That gives me hope that I might actually figure out how to do one some day, even if it does take me until I'm 39 to do it! I'm only 26 but am insecure enough about being "too old to skate". Seeing you older people accomplishing stuff I can only dream of is really inspiring.

Welcome to skatingforums, Laura!

Ouch! 8O Did you actually say, "you older people"?? Please don't shock me out of my denial by using such language. :roll:

jazzpants
08-09-2006, 04:02 PM
That gives me hope that I might actually figure out how to do one some day, even if it does take me until I'm 39 to do it! I'm only 26 but am insecure enough about being "too old to skate". Seeing you older people accomplishing stuff I can only dream of is really inspiring.(And now a brief thread hi-jacking break...)

Errrrr, yer YOUNG WHIPPA SNAPPAS!!! :twisted: :lol: :P (Raising my walking cane...)

You still got some years ahead of you! Keep in mind also that Todd Eldridge and Michael Weiss didn't go pro 'til just after they turned 30's... and Irina S. is OLDER THAN YOU!!! So work those bling-bling skates, Casey!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

(...and now back to our regular show...."welcoming Laura H...")

Mrs Redboots
08-10-2006, 04:16 AM
(And now a brief thread hi-jacking break...)

Errrrr, yer YOUNG WHIPPA SNAPPAS!!! :twisted: :lol: :P Jazzpants, you're a young whipper-snapper, do you mind????? Those of us in Age Groups IV and V are apt to think of you in Age Groups II and III as mere infants.....

Welcome, Laura, and don't mind us - we're all crazy here! You have to be, I think, to be an adult skater.

Laura H
08-10-2006, 07:30 AM
coooool . . . I think I have found the right place . . . ya'll are crazy!! In a good way! 8-)

I can't wait to get back to the rink - I am now obsessed with spinning - I am spinning on the kitchen tile and anywhere else I can find a suitable place! Of course, it is MUCH easier on ice!

I am ROFL about the "old timer comments" - actually we were comparing ages in the skating class one day and the two girls/women/ladies?? who are younger than me (i.e. late twenties) were SHOCKED that I was 39. Actually they realized with an 8 year old son I had to be somewhere up there. 8O For better or worse, I've always looked young for my age - it was a PITA at first but now I am reaping the benefits. Our adult male skater actually IS an 'old timer' - I don't know how old, but we're awed by him - he spends a LOT of time on the ice - way more than we do.

I would LOVE to have had some experience as a kid with ice skating, I have to work really hard "not to skate like an adult skater" (KWIM?) But the roller skating translates somewhat - and actually, I'd much rather fall on ice than concrete.

I'm so looking forward to spending more time here - I just want to talk all the time about skating . . . I guess I'm in the right place.

sandyk
08-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Age is all about your mindset anyway. I'm 38 and just started to learn how to skate this year. I know I will never be the skater I could have been if I had started at 3 years old, but that is no reason I can't still work hard and be as good as I can be now. Someone on this board (I think it's this board anyway) has the signature "accept no limitations and impose none on yourself" and I think that is the very best advice for any adult skater. If we put the time and effort in, who knows what we might accomplish.

Being good at any sport is mostly about attitude and determination anyway. Talent alone never got anyone anywhere.

techskater
08-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Just remember, if you started 5 years from now, you'd still be in the same boat as a beginner except you'd be 5 years older

jazzpants
08-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Jazzpants, you're a young whipper-snapper, do you mind????? Those of us in Age Groups IV and V are apt to think of you in Age Groups II and III as mere infants.....

Welcome, Laura, and don't mind us - we're all crazy here! You have to be, I think, to be an adult skater. http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d030.gif

Geez, I just came from my doctor and he said "outside of your borderline high blood cholesterol, you're in pretty good health, blood wise anyway. You're still young and very strong!!!" :roll: (Of course, the guy was probably in his 50's too...)

Yup! Gotta lose the ponch again!!! :frus:

(See, Laura!!! We're really adults here!!! I have proof now with the borderline blood cholesterol count!!! LOL!!!)

Casey
08-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Ouch! 8O Did you actually say, "you older people"?? Please don't shock me out of my denial by using such language. :roll:
You know, I wondered when I typed that if it would come off as offensive, but I really didn't mean it as such - I meant only the best of compliments. Just couldn't think of a better way to say what I meant...sorry! :D

VegasGirl
08-11-2006, 07:35 AM
Actually they realized with an 8 year old son I had to be somewhere up there.

Why's that? With an 8 year old son you could be anywhere from 22 up... ;) though I'm not quite that young I do have you beat since I have a 12 and a 14 year old and am just 40. :) But who cares, as was said before, age is not just counted by years but rather by attitude!

Btw, your rink schedule sounds just like the one where I started to skate about 2 years ago... adult class just on Mondays and that was in the South too (though more like SW) and the rink was ISI (don't know if they still are or not, haven't been there in about a year).

Good luck and loads of fun with your skating!