View Full Version : notes/observations from Lake Placid

phoenix
08-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Hi everyone, I'm back! Still a little groggy (work? you want me to WORK now??!). I had a *great* time at Lake Placid, it was huge and overwhelming and soooo much fun.

First of all for the skating: My waltz went about as well as it could have. I was thrilled to be 13th out of 15 after the first round. Then the tango.....I skated pretty well & did all the elements, but very cautiously with very little confidence or attack. I was 14th in the tango & 14th overall. But since I had figured I'd probably be last, I was happy with that result!

I watched some of the other competitors & could clearly see that my choreography was much much simpler than the others. In fact, in my last official practice I changed my straightline footwork to add another twizzle to try to ramp up the difficulty a bit! It worked out okay, but then I missed the step after the new twizzle in the actual performance. Oh well, that was a learning experience too.

Some other things I saw/did/learned:
• I skated on an open practice session w/ Vitaly Novikov & high level student, a few junior teams, & some high solo skaters. I'd never been on such a session before! After total panic for the first 5 minutes or so, I settled down to work & was determined to hold my own, and furthermore, look like I belonged out there with the rest of them. I worked really hard, stayed focused, stayed out of everyone's way (mostly), and came off the ice in total triumph. I actually skated too hard & used up too much energy instead of saving it for the comp the next day. So I learned a little something about pacing yourself too. But that practice was the most fun I had all week!

• I took care of myself on my practices & monitered my own skating (coach wasn't there). I managed a choreography change last minute, and did it pretty well in the competition. But I also realized I hate being at a comp without my coach, & probably wouldn't do that again.

• I met Jerod Swallow (one of my heroes) & gushed a little too much instead of just talking like a sane person......:oops:

• I watched all the levels of free dance skaters & decided I'm currently skating at a juvenile level......and not even a great juvenile. I have so much work to do! (ETA, for the freestyle skaters out there who aren't familiar w/ dance levels--juvenile would be pretty little kids, not much polish, pretty slow. Test requirement is preliminary dance, juv. moves. On paper, I'm much higher than that. But not in the real world as it turns out, so that was an eye opener!)

• I have great new images in my head of what I'm trying to look like.

• I see a much, much bigger picture beyond the daily practices at the home rink, & I need to remember that when I get all caught up in my little practices, test sessions, etc. I need to get over myself and get on with it and get to work.

• I learned a lot about pacing yourself at a long comp, & how important it is (esp. for the kids) to try to maintain some sort of schedule/structure with meals, sleep, etc.

• I stayed in a house w/ (among others) a coach who has 2 senior teams & one of the members of those teams. I asked them tons of questions & listened to them discussing the competition, partner stuff, judge stuff, parent stuff, etc. It was fascinating & I learned a lot.

• AND, the final triumph: at the airport in Albany, I ate a Milky Way Midnight candy bar.....in front of Igor Shpilband. :twisted:

Debbie S
08-07-2006, 10:42 AM
AND, the final triumph: at the airport in Albany, I ate a Milky Way Midnight candy bar.....in front of Igor Shpilband. :twisted:LOL! That is too funny. What sort of expression did he have on his face as he watched you? :lol:

Seriously, congrats on a great competition! Sounds like you had some good personal achievements. And you got to meet Jerod Swallow to boot! (was he there as a coach?)

I gather you got to Lake Placid via flying to Albany? I guess you took a train to LP? How long did that take and was it easy/hard to do?

jenlyon60
08-07-2006, 11:28 AM
I hope you had fun in spite of everything. Hope the drive to Albany wasn't too bad.

I will be PM-ing you re some other stuff.

phoenix
08-07-2006, 12:14 PM
I hope you had fun in spite of everything. Hope the drive to Albany wasn't too bad.

I had a fabulous time!!! It was awesome. The drive wasn't bad at all, no traffic, whipped right through. Getting out of Chicago was not great, but I lived.

Jenlyon was the catalyst for my going in the first place, she talked me into it, and invited me to stay with the group from her rink. Really nice people & it was very fun to hear about their training & everything. She was great helping out w/ the kids & everyone's schedules (COMPLICATED!! to find out where you need to be today, consult 4 different schedule printouts, cross reference them, and you *might* end up in the right place at the right time).

Debbie S.--I don't think there's a train you can take from Albany to LP. I rented a car & drove--it's about a 2.5 hour drive. Once your'e out of Albany & enter the Adirondacks, it's a really pretty drive. And yes, Jerod was there coaching some kids.

twokidsskatemom
08-07-2006, 03:10 PM
glad you had good time !!
We had a novice girl do a solo od who placed 4th overall and a novice dance team from our club.
I know its an experience which you took alot from. Glad you went and had fun !!

CanAmSk8ter
08-09-2006, 02:44 PM
I'm back and regaining some semblance of energy (I'm always borderline comatose for a few days after Lake Placid).

Phoenix, I think I may have seen your OD- was the music by Bond? I remember mainly because that was my friends' SP a few years ago. I much appreciate that you used something other than Moulin Rouge :lol: (I think four or five of the fifteen skaters used that Tango, which I love, but I think it'll be another few years before that's not the first Tango that everyone thinks of to use).

I skated ok, not great, but tons better than last year, and I actually placed higher in Junior than Novice, even though I thought I skated better in novice (go figure). I was hoping to place in the top six in Novice and I missed that by a long shot, but I was hoping to place tenth or higher in Junior and I was eleventh, and actually I was tenth in the second round, so that was ok. My coach thought I could have been a bit higher, especially in Novice, but we were both reasonably happy with how I skated. In some ways I had more fun last year when more of my friends were there but at the same time last year I skated pretty badly and was miserable about that.

Is anyone here planning to go to the Lake Placid Pro-Am in September?

phoenix
08-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Phoenix, I think I may have seen your OD- was the music by Bond? I remember mainly because that was my friends' SP a few years ago. I much appreciate that you used something other than Moulin Rouge :lol: (I think four or five of the fifteen skaters used that Tango, which I love, but I think it'll be another few years before that's not the first Tango that everyone thinks of to use).

Is anyone here planning to go to the Lake Placid Pro-Am in September?

Yep it was "Duel" by Bond. I skated 2nd in the first group. I love the music, but I think it was too fast to do a good job of interpreting it as a tango--I had more speed than some of the girls, but much less intricate footwork. I probaby saw you skate & didn't know it! I watched a lot of the skaters after I was done.

I wish they'd either combine the pro-am w/ the other, or else do it at a completely later time---can't make that trip twice in the space of....what is it? 6 weeks? Seems they'd draw more if they spaced them out a bit more.