View Full Version : electricity or power outage... 7-14

flo
08-07-2006, 09:53 AM
In honor of the blinking clocks that greeted me this morning after a rain storm.

Electricity - had a good skate and stayed cool this weekend. Lutz loop loops doing well, taught a young skaterhow to do a camel-jump camel.

Power outage: My Harlicks are lemons. I've tried and tried, and now they are being widened. We'll see.....

LilJen
08-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Continuing from Friday's last LTS session lesson:

Electricity:
-Passed my adult basic 2s and 3s. Whee! On to 4s! (is that it for adult basics--pre-bronze follows basic 4??)
-got to skate a bit on Sunday's public session with DD and MIL.

Power outage:
-Still feeling unsteady since the layoff of vacation. I think it's a combination of my skates needing a sharpening plus not having my usual thrice-weekly workouts (30-35 min cardio + weights). I feel week and my stamina's not great.
-Most of yesterday's session was done with DD hanging on for dear life, so I didn't do much in the way of true practicing. Still, a good upper body workout pulling her around.
-Ended yesterday's session with a lovely face plant. See above regarding poor stamina. . .

Debbie S
08-07-2006, 10:54 AM
(is that it for adult basics--pre-bronze follows basic 4??)
From my (admittedly limited) understanding of what "Adult Basics" covers, I think after completing it, you need to move into one of the higher levels on the "regular" Basic Skills track - your instructor can tell you which one to sign up for. As far as I know, the Adult Basic Skills classes don't cover all of the elements in the standard Basic Skills track - I think the rationale behind the Adult Basics was to teach the basics to adults looking to skate recreationally, whereas the philosophy behind the general Basic Skills program is to give kids the background they need for freestyle, and ultimately, testing and competition.

Once you have "passed" the skills in Basic 8, you can move on to freestyle group lessons - at this point, many skaters (adults and kids) choose to supplement group instruction with private coaching, or just switch to privates altogether. While learning freestyle elements, your coach (if you are in privates) can also start working with you on Pre-Bronze moves, if you indicate to him/her that testing is your goal.

Skate@Delaware
08-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Yeah, what Debbie S. said! At my rink it works pretty much the same way. Once you've passed Adult 4 you move on to the Freestyle levels (1-6). Some stay in group lessons, some get a private coach, some do both. A lot depends on what your goals are.

Personally, I switched over to private lessons and dropped the group lessons. One of our adult ladies does group and private. A man that was in the class stayed and also took up private ice dance lessons.

tidesong
08-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Electricity:
I hit my sit-backsit-I spin at practically 90% today and similarly for the layback. Flying camel and combination spin was a little less steady but still generally a good spin day.

I did all my program run throughs one after another during lesson (footwork, artistic, freestyle) and didnt get nausea. So thats great too!

I also hit all my required elements!

I tried on all my skating dresses and they were finally looking decent (after quite a few modifications)

I am happy to be leaving for competition in this state :D

Power outage:
Really nothing much, just that if everything was 100% rather than 80-90% that would be better but I'm fairly happy today :)

kateskate
08-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Electricity
Well what a difference a day makes. I had a good skate today. I don't want to jinx it but I think spending 3 hours yesterday doing edges helped. Inside edges felt less swingy. Willow waltz overall is still not good - the edge before the mohawk can be quite diagonal and flat. But I think its better. I do hate our narrow rink though - makes the first step forwards after the chasse impossible. I will have to try to get to a bigger rink this week.

I did 2 axels without a thud landing. I did a few more like it but not fully rotated. Is my axel on its way back...........

flying camels were good - so good that I felt adventurous and tried a flying camel into back sit. Didn't work but it was fun.

Hit every sit-change-sit too. Yay! So I went for a sit-change-sit-change-sit. Didn't work but nevermind.

Step sequence in my free dance was better - coach said yesterday the power I previously had at the beginning had gone but I think I found it again today.

And thankfully camel spins were better. Still not good but better.

One of the other skaters on the session landed her flip for the first time today. I heard her coach cheer and I had to look over. She did about 5 or 6 more too. It was really nice to see - they were so happy. I don't even really know or like this girl but it made me happy that she got that jump. I love it when people get new elements! Some people at my rink get really jealous or just criticise or do the usual 'oh but they skate every day/have been skating for years/didn't really do it properly actually/have been learning it for ages about time they got it!'. I don't like that attitude. If someone else gets something before you then all you can do is work hard to get it yourself. What is the point of wanting to take that element away from the other skater? If you wish they couldn't do it then that is like saying you want to win or be the best without the hard work but instead by taking other people's achievements away.

Sorry slight diversion. But it bothers me.

Power outage
A week of not really practising jumps may have helped my axel but my lutz went all funny. I fell over on the 1st one 8O Got a bit better but I need to make sure it doesn't get neglected.

Double salchow - couldn't rotate any of them and only got 2 on one foot. Weird. Good axel day bad double salchow day. That never happens.

The 2 teachers on the ice today didn't have keys for the music box and neither did management (apparently - although I don't believe them - I think they just didn't want us to play our skating music - but it was patch ice!). There were only 3 of us skaters on the ice today and it would have been perfect for me to get some programme run throughs but I couldn't. Really a shame. Our rink is so silly.

Mrs Redboots
08-08-2006, 03:12 AM
Total Power Outage: Have some kind of coldy, fluey-type lurgy and can barely get out of bed, never mind skate. Grrrrrrrr...... especially as it means missing our couples lesson this week, and the Husband is going hiking with the Daughter next weekend, so he will be really stiff next week, and probably barely able to skate!

Just hope to goodness I'm back on the ice tomorrow!

Hannahclear
08-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Electricity:

Wheeee! I can do forward cross-strokes. Not like sort of do them. I can actually do the move. It's nice to have something I'm working on for silver come easily. Spent waaaay too much lesson time today trying to do a LBO 3 turn. I think I had a mental block. I did several after it was over. My LFI/RBO and RFO/LBI turns are better though, but controlling that axis is tough.

jazzpants
08-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Electricity:

Obvious one... BIG HUGE RELIEF to know that if I do my Bronze Moves it's b/c I WANT to do them, not b/c I HAVE to... (And I still did on Sunday afternoon and last night...well what little I can do with the Monday night crowds... b/c it's a good warmup routine! I also know that my coaches will put some of this stuff in future FS programs, so I better keep it fresh just in case.) :twisted:
I landed ONE flip!!! Barely!!! It stayed for 2 seconds and that's as long as it's willing to hold. But it's a clean landing!Power outage:

No Loops!!! GRRRR!!! :x :frus:
Right lower back is hurting so it took a while for my lower back to warm up to the point where I can do really good sit spins! I really need to go see my chiro!

Sk8pdx
08-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Power Outage:
Spirals today could have been more stretched. The free leg is at hip level at least but I want it higher.

Electricity:
my coach introduced me to silver moves today. Even as I get ready to test Bronze MIF in December, we are anticipating the next level.
Loops: still growing. landed some, didn't land some.

After my lesson I was practicing back spins. Finally did one 3 revs. After I brushed out, I caught a glance from my coach. From accross the rink, she points to me with this look: 8O and says aloud "I SAW THAT!" (whoo-hoo! another rare success sighting by my coach when it mattered!) way cool.
Also did a camel spin 2 revs. I held the enty edge a little longer instead of rushing it like I normally do. Also it felt more correct in that normally I feel a sensation of dragging backwards leading with the free leg behind. But today I felt more of a forward motion which felt more correct. So I know I had to be doing something right! I would love to do a beautiful catch-foot camel someday! they are my favorite spin.

Rusty Blades
08-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Power Failure! OOPS! Toward the end of last Tuesday’s session I was rolling from a RBO to an RBI when I heard and felt something pop in my right ankle. It didn’t hurt then but the next morning it was VERY sore and weak. I went to the rink the next day and it felt swollen and painful in my skates so I told my coach I was going to pass. It didn’t feel much better Thursday so I missed a second day.

(On Saturday I got my skates sharpened and also had the blades reset on my new custom Jackson Elites.)

Absolutely Electric! After being off the ice for a week, everything came back together quickly and almost all my elements (so far) were working well: forward and backward glides, forward and backward sculling, stroking, and slaloms, all forward edges, back inside edges, and forward CCW cross-overs. Back outside edges were poor and on forward CW cross-overs, I wasn’t getting enough hip rotation to get my left foot over my right.

In the second hour I switched from my (old) Jackson Competitors to my brand new custom Elites and was surprised to find that within 10 minutes I was doing all my elements in my new boots! My coach commented that I was WAY faster in the Elites (probably because they are a heavier boot). I found they fit extremely well and only need to be bumped out in a couple of places. Being a custom boot and a better fit, I was able to lace them tighter than my old boots and had more lateral ankle support and only a slight decrease in knee-bend.

All in all, an EXCELLENT session!!!

quarkiki2
08-09-2006, 08:34 AM
I'm posting from a lesson forever and a day ago (Saturday), LOL!!

Electricity: Warmed up on some lovely ice -- two other skaters and me! Back crossovers are far less toe-pick-y than they were, woo-hoo! I'm even starting to hear a rip on the first push. Used to be I could only rip if I were just pumping backwards, so this is much better!! Skidding all over on FO edges -- need to get my blades sharpened, so I left my skates and will pick them up tonight before Synchro.

Figured out a way to make the BO 3's not so scary -- I just convince myself that I'm skating backwards, then doing a slide chasse (which is a move I LOVE). Suddenly my BO3s are my best turns! Coach doesn't mind me thinking whatever I need to think to get the turn, but always appreciates the way I can explain myself into making a simple turn a BIG PRODUCTION.

Then she helped me realize that my spin isn't working well because I'm taking my outside edge the wrong direction -- once I re-aimed it was a smidge better. Again, I need to stop thinking about the step onto the FO so much and just do it. GRRR!!! Wind up is good and spin is good, albeit slooow and with three revolutions because I'm not pushing hard enough into it, but that choctaw sucks rotten eggs. Which is funny, because I have actually found that unless I'm going into a spin, I really like choctaws and enjoy practicing them. In fact, I'd rather do a trillion choctaws than any three turns or back swing rolls (my current WORST nemesis). They just make my feet feel pretty and I LOVE anything that makes me feel pretty on the ice.

Worked a bit on half-flip, getting more pop by picking behind my left ear instead of exaclty straight back from my right hip. Surprised myself a couple of times, but to anyone watching, I'm sure it looks like I'm only jumping high enough to pass a sheet of paper under my blade...

Also managed one or two BO pivots. We're considering putting a pairs spiral in the Synchro program and, though I have a darned good position on my spiral, I'm one of the taller skaters (ha! I'm 5' 5") on the team and think I may end up as the "man" in this move, rats!

Power Outage: Back swing rolls and back cross rolls. Why? I HATE, HATE, HATE BO edges. Blah! I actually get so far as to get my foot properly crossed behind, then I move it before I set it down. I struggle from the BO edge to BO edge, though I'm OK in line for our synchro footwork -- just not secure enough to do it on my own yet. GRRRR!!!!

Terri C
08-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Electricity:
Forward and back power perim moves are on edges!! Felt every powerful today!!
Spins were good too. Loop is starting to show up sporadically. Salchow just plain felt nice and smooth.

Power Outage:
I hate, hate, HATE power threes!! I push going into the three, push on the undercut, but it sure doesn't feel like it!!
For some reason, toe loops were just not present today.

icedancer2
08-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Electricity: Got up early and went to an earlier "freestyle" than usual. The ice was BEAUTIFUL and there were only 5 of us on the ice -- all adults, 3 of us doing figures. Fantastic.

Got to work on my Bronze Moves finally feeling like I could use the whole ice and not crash into anyone and they are getting better!!

Working on some dances, too -- I would like to take the Paso and maybe the Starlight sometime in the next year and so getting back into that more -- feels good! yea!!

Power Outage: POWER 3s!!! :evil: :oops: If I could get away with slow-motion power 3s (just on the one side) on the test I would take it tomorrow! That damn step forward!! (note to self: It's getting better, it's getting better..." - maybe hypnosis is the next step!!)

Wish I had more time to really work on everything!

Too much to learn -- so little time!!! :lol:

jazzpants
08-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Power outage:

Secondary coach is out sick with somethin' I can barely figure out what she was saying on her VM to me b/c her voice sounds like CRUD!!! :evil:
Body is still trying remember what a salchow is. I landed it clean and all, but the flow sure feels weird.
The ditch is WORSE than last Saturday morning's test session!!! :frus: :evil:
19 people on my FS session and the majority of them are high FS skaters!!! (Axels or above.) Never mind we have our one adult pair skater going platter lifts!!! EEEEEK!!! 8O SOOOOO relieved that I don't have to do those Bronze moves patterns today! With the ditch and 19 skaters on the ice (not including the coaches...) it's a MAD HOUSE this morning!!! YIKES!!! 8OElectricity:

Spins are there after warmup up the hips some...
Landed one loop cleanly (though quite unexpected!) and almost landed another one towards the end of the session. Also landed a couple of flips.
More well wishes and congratulations from my fellow skaters!!! REALLY appreciate the well wishers, though the next words coming out of their mouths are "So when are you testing Bronze FS???" :twisted: :lol: (For the record, depends on who you ask. If you ask me and my secondary coach, answer is "When I have a steady loop." If you ask my primary coach, answer is "SEPTEMBER!!!" 8O :twisted: :lol: )

Sk8pdx
08-09-2006, 02:00 PM
I hate, hate, HATE power threes!! I push going into the three, push on the undercut, but it sure doesn't feel like it!!

Power Outage: POWER 3s!!! :evil: :oops: ...That damn step forward!! (note to self: It's getting better, it's getting better..." - maybe hypnosis is the next step!!)

Wish I had more time to really work on everything!

Too much to learn -- so little time!!! :lol:

:twisted: Ditto!

jazzpants
08-09-2006, 02:05 PM
:twisted: Ditto!I hate 'em too!!! :twisted: (Note: I didn't pass this particular move on my last test session!)

Three words that will help you guys get more power though... BEND KNEES DEEPLY!!! It will give you more stability to push harder!!!

Rusty Blades
08-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Power Outage: Need SLEEP!!! - VERY tired - awakened by thunderstorms at 2 a.m.!

One of the senior coaches had commented to my coach about my reluctance to fall and how I manage to catch myself before going down so I took a spill on the CW cross-overs! Actually, there was a toe pick involved but we wont tell anybody that! ;)

Almost Electric: Despite being tired today’s session went well. We did everything from the previous session (except back outside edges) in addition to making some substantial improvements in my CW cross-overs and starting on 3-TURNS!

Considering I could hardly keep my eyes open, I did better than I had any right to expect (though I did cut out 15 minutes early)!

Skate@Delaware
08-10-2006, 06:42 AM
Power Outage: No skating today (or Sunday); which is just as well, I've finally got my sewing machines back and need to get some sewing done and some projects finished. I just ordered more fabric for 2 new custom dresses. I need to get them mostly done before we get ice. Probably won't be able to skate for about 2 weeks :cry: because of my schedule....

Electricity: my off-ice stretching is going very well, really working on that tight hamstring is going very slow but it's going. Painful but the physical therapist said it would be. Time to break out my maxi-flex strap.

flying~camel
08-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Electricity:

I wore my half-finished interp dress to practice yesterday and it felt great. The skirt length was fine (it's a dance dress) and, even though it's sleeveless, I really wasn't cold.

Power Outage:

During the run-through of my interp program, some people got in my way and I 2-footed my flip (which is my best jump!), plus, our sound system was acting up, so I really couldn't even hear my music.

After group lessons, our club held a farewell party for my coach, who is moving to Virgina Beach. One of my friends created a beautiful slideshow of pictures with very sappy music in the background and I don't think there was a dry adult skater eye in the house.

Just as she was getting in her car to leave the rink, we gave her a big adult skater group hug.

ETA - I hope this great testing streak continues, as one of my friends is taking her Pre-Bronze MIF & FS tests this Saturday!

Rusty Blades
08-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Blackout! NOTHING was working in the first hour today, nothing at all!

Let There Be Light! By the second hour and second lesson, everything came back! Ran through all the moves with my coach and she was happy with everything. Back outsides need some polish and 3-Turns are come-and-go but everything else was coming back together.

Only one more week of Summer Skate but I met my summer goals (all 8 edges) and a bit more (started 3-Turns and Brackets).

Terri C
08-10-2006, 08:09 PM
After group lessons, our club held a farewell party for my coach, who is moving to Virgina Beach. One of my friends created a beautiful slideshow of pictures with very sappy music in the background and I don't think there was a dry adult skater eye in the house.

Moving to Virginia Beach huh? Will she be coaching here in the area?

Electricity:
Moves are getting better and the threes had more power today!!
Loop is still on it's way back- not quite here yet, but not totally gone either.

Power Outage:
Freestyle was too crowded today with beginners on lessons!

LilJen
08-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Power Outage:

-Fell on my *other* knee at public session yesterday. I wasn't even doing anything fancy, just being klutzy old me.

Electricity:
-Um, now I have matching knee bruises??

flying~camel
08-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Moving to Virginia Beach huh? Will she be coaching here in the area?

She going to try! And she's got at least 6 skaters here who will give her excellent recommendations! :P

Mrs Redboots
08-11-2006, 07:31 AM
Electricity: We went skating this morning, although only for about 45 minutes, which was quite enough for me, I found! I was as stiff-legged as a dog scenting a potential rival at first - it all goes to show how quickly one gets out of training.

We spent most of our time working on the Fiesta Tango, which is coming along. Interestingly, we are now practising it faster than the music, and when the music actually played, it felt quite slow! We did at least one step to forward which worked perfectly, and another couple which weren't at all bad, but the rest were as ghastly as ever. Really we can't do much more with it now without a coachly pair of eyes to see whether I'm being pulled off-balance, thus causing the wide-step, or whether I am turning my shoulders too far, or not far enough, or......

So we decided the side pattern was being neglected and worked on that for a bit - we can do that quite well when we set our minds to it, but not all the time. Husband points out that the LFO edge on the restart is a bit shallow (he says his is when he solos it, too), and I think that's one of the things they really look at to see if you've mastered the dance or not, so we must work on that. We did Xavier's exercise for the cross-in-front/cross behind, which does help, every time, but the change-of edge wasn't as good as it could be - husband forgot to hold the swing forwards for quite long enough, so went away from me. That definitely was him not me!

So we left that for today and turned to our free dance. Did a good spin, despite the state of my sinuses (I wasn't too sure whether spinning would be a good idea or not!), and despite the fact that I realised, too late, that I was looking in quite the wrong direction! But we really do have to do something about the start of the step sequence - I've never liked those swings, and we do them badly, and I so can't do the turn at the end of them.... sigh....

Power Outage: Not much, just general lack of stamina today, but that's not too surprising, really. A good practice, although in one way I'd have liked longer than 45 minutes, but I don't really think my body would have!

Sonic
08-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Electricity:

I'm on vacation in sunny 'Vegas!
My foot has stopped hurting...is it finally getting better?

Power Outage:

I got food poisining, so most of vacation has been spent in bed/in bathroom
I just heard on the news about the suspected terrorists. Am a bad flyer as it is, now I dread the thought of flying back to the UK even more...
After my dance lesson before vacation, I overheard my ice dance coach and a couple of others making some really nasty comments about my skating. I don't care what people say behind my back, or if they laugh with me to my face, but this really got to me: it doesn't bother me so much that they think I'm a crappy skater, it's the fact they obviously thought I was deaf/stupid and couldn't hear them!:x

S xxx

Isk8NYC
08-11-2006, 10:26 AM
I got food poisining, so most of vacation has been spent in bed/in bathroomOh, I'm so sorry. Maybe that's why your foot feels better, though (silver lining) since you've been resting. Feel better.[/quote]
I just heard on the news about the suspected terrorists. Am a bad flyer as it is, now I dread the thought of flying back to the UK even more...Good luck. Go to the carrier's or MSNBC's website -- you have to check makeup, drinks, a ton of things. Check them or toss them. What a hassle. Safe journey home.
After my dance lesson before vacation, I overheard my ice dance coach and a couple of others making some really nasty comments about my skating. I don't care what people say behind my back, or if they laugh with me to my face, but this really got to me: it doesn't bother me so much that they think I'm a crappy skater, it's the fact they obviously thought I was deaf/stupid and couldn't hear them!:x You need to tell the ice dance coach to HIS/HER face that you overheard that and that you were terribly insulted. Be clear about dropping him/her and taking lessons from another coach. How unprofessional: you had just been on lesson and paid him/her money and he/she badmouths you? I'm sure you're doing fine for a newbie, they're the ones with the weakness and lack of sportsmanship.

phoenix
08-11-2006, 11:04 AM
You need to tell the ice dance coach to HIS/HER face that you overheard that and that you were terribly insulted. Be clear about dropping him/her and taking lessons from another coach. How unprofessional: you had just been on lesson and paid him/her money and he/she badmouths you? I'm sure you're doing fine for a newbie, they're the ones with the weakness and lack of sportsmanship.

Totally second that--If there are ANY other options for other coaching, I'd fire their a## in a heartbeat. Coaches are there to support us, nuture us, and guide us along. The ONLY thing a coach could justifiably complain about a student is if they don't work hard or ever practice. Mentioning faults or weaknesses in skating technique or whatever is one thing.....laughing/joking about your skating is absolutely unacceptable. I'm so sorry you overheard that, I would be devestated if I heard my coach doing something like that.

sarahg
08-11-2006, 11:12 AM
After my dance lesson before vacation, I overheard my ice dance coach and a couple of others making some really nasty comments about my skating. I don't care what people say behind my back, or if they laugh with me to my face, but this really got to me: it doesn't bother me so much that they think I'm a crappy skater, it's the fact they obviously thought I was deaf/stupid and couldn't hear them!:x
[/LIST]

S xxx

As I said in my post on the 'skirt thread' (but will repeat here) that is TOTALLY unprofessional of him/her. I pay my coach to tell me what I'm doing wrong and to work with me to improve my skating. I've only been skating for 3 and half months and if he ever laughed at me I think that would be the end of me having him as my coach. However, he is endlessly encouraging, endlessly patient and endlessly supportive. Even when I do something stupid and end up laughing at myself he will say how it is all part of the learning curve and that everyone, including him, has been there and done it.

And the last bit is so true. Every single one of us begins by looking like Bambi on ice when we first start skating. It is unforgiveable for coaches to take cheap shots at new students, or discuss their skating abilities in a negative way with fellow skaters. Any chance you could get a new coach?

doubletoe
08-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Electricity:
- I'm starting to get over the double toeloop mental block, landing another two this morning (but not until after I'd singled or aborted about 20! I need to watch it if I don't want my shin splints to get worse).
- Got through 2 program run-throughs this morning, with just a couple minutes break in between. Good for stamina building, at least.
- Completed the flying camel-back sit nicely in my second program run-through, as well as my opening combination spin.
- My change edge spiral is starting to KICK A@@! :D

Power Outage:
Skipped the axel in both of my program run-throughs. On the first one, my edge was curling too much as I stepped out for it (arrghh, need to fix that consistently?!), and on the second one, I was set up just fine but my legs were tired and just said no.

DallasSkater
08-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Electricity:
* During my private lesson I was tested for ISI. Apparently they do not send in the "report cards" from the LTS program as I had to start by testing all the basic skills including forward strokes..giggle. I guess that is great because I flew through the first couple tests. Ended in FS 2. Not too shabby for eight months so I was pleased. There were a few things in the next level that I was not familiar with so coach said we will work on those and test again in about a month for the next level.

*Getting more revolutions on spins and better consistency. Though I still am hit and miss on one footed out of a cross over I can usually get one or two revolutions and 3-5 from a stand still on one foot and tons on a two foot. This is a minor miracle for me! Since I consistently do the same mistake over and over which is dropping my right shoulder when I pick up my foot, I should be able to address it eventually.

*All edges are now strong after a few minutes warm up. Inside 3-turns in edges are easy for me while outside more difficult in doing the semi circle pattern. My coach says it should be opposite. I joked with her that should and is...really are two different things.

*Have been working on getting my waltz jump and half flip bigger since I am getting more comfortable with them. Noted some improvement there.

Power Outage: Took my niece skating several times. She thought I was awesome when she saw me in comparison on a public session. She watched my private lesson during a freestyle session and after watching with the others on the ice doing amazing things she said..."Gosh, you kinda suck at this"...eeeek...there goes my super aunt identity!

*During my group lesson Saturday, the instructor had us doing moves. I was totally confused and told her I needed the remedial version. giggle again. She then asserted that she did not know what it was about Saturday classes...but her students were more retarded on Saturday mornings....Did I mention she lacked social judgment? lol.

*I skate for free during public sessions as LTS students get that benefit at my rink. Instead I went and paid for another rink last night as there are typically so few people on the public ice there. I arrived to find a snotty skater doing her "thing" that seemed insistent on skating anywhere I went! Was she demonstrating that she is a better skater...What was her deal? I wanted to ask but just assumed she was in need of a little attention or something. There were only about 10 people on the ice but 8 were teens in need of professional help. They were throwing quarters on the ice to use as pucks. I asked them several times to cease with the tiny obstacles but it afforded opportunity for a display of teen attitude and disrespect for the "old lady." Did not get everything that I wanted to get done during that session.

At least I get to skate again today!

Skate@Delaware
08-13-2006, 09:26 AM
* During my private lesson I was tested for ISI. Apparently they do not send in the "report cards" from the LTS program as I had to start by testing all the basic skills including forward strokes..giggle. I guess that is great because I flew through the first couple tests. Ended in FS 2. Not too shabby for eight months so I was pleased. There were a few things in the next level that I was not familiar with so coach said we will work on those and test again in about a month for the next level.

did you have to do the ISI version of back crossovers? I found those so hard to do....picking UP the foot then placing it OVER the skating foot???? I almost fell over!!! I cant remember which level it was on when I tested. Thank goodness I don't have to do them (yet) buy my coach thought they were a good exercise for me :roll:
There were only about 10 people on the ice but 8 were teens in need of professional help. They were throwing quarters on the ice to use as pucks. I asked them several times to cease with the tiny obstacles but it afforded opportunity for a display of teen attitude and disrespect for the "old lady." Did not get everything that I wanted to get done during that session.
I would have chased down those quarters and put them in my own pocket....that would have ended it really quick!!! What could they have said??? NOTHING!!! Yup, I'm evil :twisted:

Mrs Redboots
08-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Power Cut: The ice was terrible, worse than it's been for ages. Of course, after half an hour it had been skated into submission, but it really wasn't much fun trying to warm up. And the sound system had been switched off up "in the office", so such music as there was, until one of the duty managers went up, was only as loud as the coach's CD players could manage, which isn't very!

Electricity: ad a good lesson, though. Coach2, like me, is turnout-challenged, so she quite understood that I couldn't put my feet down as open as I need to, so her suggestion was to think of putting my little toe down first. That worked quite beautifully, and I actually managed to do my back cross-cuts on edges! She said they had improved from last time she'd seen them, as had my cross-rolls, which was very pleasing.

In my practice, I also did a bit of work on the end of the Fiesta. Find I still tend to widestep even when on my own, although not as badly as I do with the Husband; still not quite sure why.

jazzpants
08-13-2006, 12:16 PM
I would have chased down those quarters and put them in my own pocket....that would have ended it really quick!!! What could they have said??? NOTHING!!! Yup, I'm evil :twisted:And just to really get on them, I would have bought a NIIIIICE refreshing cold drink with those quarters they threw on the ice right in front of them!!! :twisted: (I love being just as :twisted: as S@D!!!) :lol: :P

Electricity:

Did split runthru of program for the first time in six months. Glad to be visiting the program again.
Landed one loop and about another 2 flips.Power outage:

Realizing that I'm slow in spots where I'm supposed to be fast and getting out of one of the spins smooth and fast enough to do this. I may need to speed up my spins and or work on the transition a bit more!
Landed one loop and about another 2 flips... out of about 5 tries for each jump!!! :roll:
Took a splat tripping over a hole that some skater left and didn't fill in!!! :x

Terri C
08-13-2006, 01:06 PM
I would have chased down those quarters and put them in my own pocket....that would have ended it really quick!!! What could they have said??? NOTHING!!! Yup, I'm evil :twisted:

I would have bought the drink that Jazzpants suggested AFTER going to the front desk and speaking with the manager on duty!! Or better yet, saved the quarters for locker use at my pool during the week!

Went to a public session today (*yes you read that right Terri went to a public session*) figuring that it's such a nice day, no one would be skating at a ice rink in mid August.
Had the ice to myself for 20 minutes, (and the rink management let me on 4 minutes early-woo hoo!) where I took advantage and did moves patterns. Took a splat on power back crossovers when starting the second side of the rink, got distracted by the lights/sound of the rink "jukebox" and had a "Click of Death"
After that, there were 4 of us on the ice, then more people came.
Was able to do some spins, but that was really it. It wasn't elbow to elbow crowded, but crowded enough where sneaking in jumps was not a option.
I was a bit concerned over there being no rink guard after a lady fell and hit her head. While she seemed okay, it could have been worse. Then again, I would probably not have been able to practice spins if there were a rink guard

kateskate
08-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Electricity

Spending 3 hrs on edges on Sunday paid off! I did a good willow waltz on Thurs. Coach was pleased. We joked that it only took me 6 months but now thankfully finally I have 2 inside edges before the mohawk - rather than flats. Free dance was a lot better too. He even said good spin! Woohoo

Did some good (ok not good but better) axels. I took my camera to the rink and filmed them. Not as good as I want but better than before. Grrr. Also filmed me doing the willow waltz as I've never seen it. Wasn't as bad as I thought. May put it on youtube as a friend wants to see it.....

Had fun trying new spins. Did sit-change-sit-change sit and the cross toe back cross toe but keeping my arms up during the change. Looks cool but the backspin is FAST that way and scary.

Hit every sit change sit - yay!

Crossroll was better in the Fiesta tango. Still not quite right but much better.

Was asked to help the sweetest little girl with her 3 jump. She was 10 and has been skating since January but only having lessons for 3/4 months. She taught herself up to about Skate UK level 8 by herself from watching others. Amazing. She was really good - she listened and did everything asked. She is my dance coach's pupil. She had a 7 year old sister who was adorable and kept hugging him. So cute. I love helping the kids. And its really exciting when they get something. She did a really good three jump. I got really excited and she ran off the ice to tell her mum as she was happy.

Power outage

Had my blades sharpened so couldn't stop quickly or spin (I can never spin the first session after getting my blades done). Managed to fall on my knee on my twizzle sequence. And was told I looked lost on my double back inside threes as I kind of hold my arms out in a 'where am i' fashion. Also was doing weid claw things with my hand apparently.

I get very dizzy doing double back outside 3s on my right foot. More dizzy than from spinning. I can't skate afterwards - I feel really wobbly. I don't really know why. Its odd. But not good - I'll have to get over it otherwise I'll never beable to do the test!

DallasSkater
08-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Skate@Delaware: Yes, the testing had cross overs on it. I was initially taught by doing the full pick up the foot and place but no longer do it that way. It is a good exercise though for technique in getting a good cross. I have good skill on back cross overs. I think that is because it was my only more skilled than the other kiddos when I was growing up so it came back to me quickly. My coach says that I do mine with such power that I look like someone who has a better skill set...giggle. Since she is a non nurturing soul...I eat up the fact that she says my right over left is "smoking"! lol.

Too funny on the pocketing or spending quarters. Oh if I just would have thought quicker! lol. But they were pseudo hockey influenced and probably would have broke my neck chasing the quarters around...giggle.

Just back from the rink....had a few really good half flips with height! That was after about 20 smaller ones...now my back hurts..giggle. I think it is not a good idea to do a major step aerobics class then immediately go to the rink to practice even my little half jumps...eeeek...

jshbo724
08-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Electricity: I felt pretty good about today. Spins are getting better. My back sit is actually improving, so I was able to do camel-sit-change-sit a few times without too many problems.

I tried the axel off the harness for the first time!! I was kinda scared for a few minutes, but I just stood, breathed, and went for it. The first one wasn't even an axel, LOL. But at least I jumped. The second one I did the jump, but I leaned back on the take-off so I was leaning and fell on the landing, but at least I did the whole jump and got the rotation. I didn't try any more after that cause it kinda hurt my knee, LOL. :o My biggest thing though was getting passed the mind block of being off the harness. I wanted to do the jump on my own because it helps me get passed blocks faster. Now I feel a LOT more confident in it.

Power Outage: Flying camels aren't improving too much, I keep whiping around too much, and end up falling. There's so much to think about when doing them...... :frus:

My knee's a little sore, but it'll get better after icing it for a while..... Otherwise, today wasn't too bad! :D

kiwibabe
08-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Electricity:
I taught myself to do a 1 foot spin when my coach was away. She says its great and she doesn't need to fix it much. She decided I can start learning to do a sit spin.

Power outage:
My knee has been playing up again (stupid torn cartilage). I can't do a normal entrance into my spins due to the torque on my stupid knee so I'm doing them from a spread eagle. My spins disappeared on Saturday, very scratchy and travelled far just when I decided to practice sit spins. They kind of came back today but still very scratchy, stupid toe pick. Adult competition is coming up in October but my stupid knee will not cooperate with me and I may not be able to compete at all. I feel like I'm going backwards, things I was able to do have disappeared cause I can't practice them all the time, as I'm on restricted skating hours until my knee gets better.:cry: :cry: :cry:

jazzpants
08-14-2006, 12:31 AM
I would have bought the drink that Jazzpants suggested AFTER going to the front desk and speaking with the manager on duty!! Or better yet, saved the quarters for locker use at my pool during the week!
Or even better, put it towards the rink locker! :twisted: (For me, since I skate at two (at least!!!) different rinks, the idea of renting a rink locker on a monthly basis is not very financially sound.)

Thin-Ice
08-14-2006, 03:28 AM

You are NOT evil.. I was thinking the same thing... I prefer to think we're PRACTICIAL -- after all, someone has to pay for our skating.. why not some ill-mannered kids who don't know the value of money?:D

Clare
08-14-2006, 07:51 AM
As a beginner, I haven't been brave enough to post in this thread yet but I thought it was about time I started airing my minor achievements/total disasters :D

Electricity;

-Have today off work so took a chance on a daytime public session (1st time I've tried it since schools finished) and was glad I did :). Lovely fresh ice, just me and 2 children hanging on to the barriers for the first 20 mins and only a handful of people after that.

-I am finally seeing a definite improvement in my forward crossovers and am feeling confident enough with them now to pick up speed so am happy with that :)

Outage;

-It was seriously cold at the rink this morning- I wished I'd taken gloves even though I only ever worn them once or twice before. I'll consider it a lesson learned and make sure there is always a pair in my bag.

-My backwards skating seems to have gone to hell, my weight seems to have shifted towards the front of my blade because I am hitting my toepick constantly- something I've never had trouble with before :frus: . I have my first private lesson on Thurs, straight after my group class and I will be begging for help with this!

Clare

DallasSkater
08-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Clare: so glad you posted your achievements. Remember, everyone started as a beginner. I am excited for you as you start with private lessons. I do both group and private too. The private lesson has so much improved my abilities and allowed me to advance more quickly. I am sure that will be your experience as well. Good luck with that!

Clare
08-14-2006, 08:18 AM
The private lesson has so much improved my abilities and allowed me to advance more quickly. I am sure that will be your experience as well. Good luck with that!

Thanks! So many people have told me the same thing so I'm really looking forward to getting started :)

Clare

Isk8NYC
08-14-2006, 10:40 AM
My skating this week consisted of about an hour total while waiting for students. LOL But, I've got my car back, so now I can start cutting out for a long/late lunch and get some skating of my own in!

Electricity:

HEY! Figureskates - I can still do patch. I did serpentine, paragraph threes. Amazed myself. On a general session yet! LOL

Freestyle: I love my sit spins. It's the only consistently great thing I can still do without much practice.

I managed a camel, mostly to intimidate the punks that kept skating through the middle. (Given the SIZE of my skates alone, that should keep them away)

MITF: Other than learning the three turn patterns, I'm good to go with the Pre-Bronze and Bronze patterns. Now to get a coach. :roll:

Power Outage:

I'm back to struggling with my whole jumps. My knee still hurts when I land too many, so I've been making every one count. But, my split jump's getting better.

I wish we had rink guards with backbones - I actually took a cell phone away from one of them and told him to go pick up a kid that had fallen. (I should have said "He won't call you back!" and hung up, right S@D?)

Of course, rink guards with backbones wouldn't have let me do camels ...

Skate@Delaware
08-14-2006, 11:14 AM
I wish we had rink guards with backbones - I actually took a cell phone away from one of them and told him to go pick up a kid that had fallen. (I should have said "He won't call you back!" and hung up, right S@D?)

GO FOR IT!!!!!
(my rink's guards are wussy too....must be contagious; only when you threaten to go to the manager do they finally do something. I act like a rink guard at time and actually have people asking if I work there....I say "no, but I live here" they can't figure that one out!)