View Full Version : Bronze FS test expectations

Hannahclear
08-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Love to hear from anyone who has passed bronze FS as to what was expected, how you skated etc. If you passed, how strong were you? If you had to retry, what was the problem? Do they expect you to "sell" it?

I'm testing soon, and of course, we have some members who just passed moves this week and I thought they might be interested too. :)

flying~camel
08-06-2006, 07:06 PM
I took & passed my Brone FS test last November. Here are the comments & scores I got from the judges:

Technical Merit
Judge #1 (2.5) - Sit spin was nicely centered with good position. Jumps executed cleanly.

Judge #2 (2.6) - No comments.

Judge #3 (2.7) - Technically well-skated. Nice spins.

Presentation
Judge #1 (2.5) - Graceful use of hands and arms; transitioned well with tempo changes.

Judge #2 (2.6) - Overall good execution of elements. Good variety.

Judge #3 (2.7) - Well-skated performance. Nice selection of music (I skated to music from Shrek).

Hope that helps :)

doubletoe
08-06-2006, 09:26 PM
From my experience and a few other Bronze tests I've seen, the most important thing is just to complete all of the required elements and get the required number of revolutions on the spins.

MusicSkateFan
08-07-2006, 02:42 AM
I agree with DoubleToe.

Spins were my hardest thing and I did not pass the test the first time. The second test(1 month later) was much better and I passed with excellent comments.

Stay focused and make sure you can do double run throughs of your program. Do a good off ice warm up....all will be well!

Debbie S
08-07-2006, 08:17 AM
the most important thing is just to complete all of the required elements and get the required number of revolutions on the spins.Well, that's good. I mean, it's good to know the judges are just looking for completion of elements and not some great artistic performance.

Lately, my tough elements have been the backspin (well, that's always been my toughest element on the test) and the sit spin. My problem is that I can do the elementts in isolation in practice, but then when the music goes on, they disappear. :oops: I have resolved to run through my program twice each session (so 4 times when I skate 2 sessions in a day) until test day to address that problem. I want to pass this test the first time.

LoopLoop
08-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Debbie, remember that the judges can ask for reskates of two elements on a FS test! If you miss any thing during your runthrough, do that element(s) again right afterward and treat it as part of the runthrough process.

Joan
08-07-2006, 10:13 AM
From my experience and a few other Bronze tests I've seen, the most important thing is just to complete all of the required elements and get the required number of revolutions on the spins.

Flow is also important - but as long as all the required elements are completed and there is adequate flow from one element to the next, it is likely to pass.

sexyskates
08-08-2006, 09:29 PM
When I took my Bronze FS Test 6 years ago, the hardest parts for me were the backspin and sitspin. I thought I had done them in the program but the judges said I only had 2 1/2 revolutions on each! I reskated those two elements (the backspin was really wobbly) and was passed by 2 judges - Yay! I just wanted to pass so I could go to Adult Nationals.
So my advice would be to complete your elements. If your spins are weak, then make sure you get all your jumps on the test, and practice getting extra revolutions on your spins. If you can get 4 revolutions in practice then you can probably get 3 when you are nervous.
Good Luck!

techskater
08-09-2006, 04:04 PM
As for shaky spins, make sure you don't count until you are actually IN THE POSITION. Judges are very picky about that.

doubletoe
08-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Yes, everyone is right about the spins. It's hard to count revolutions when you're the one spinning, so try to get 5 revs on each spin and that will mean you've probably got 3. And yes, wait until you are locked into the seated position before counting the revs on your sitspin.

The Pre-bronze and Bronze FS tests were the first tests I ever took. I took them on the same session, just before the MIF test requirements came into effect. I had never skated a program in front of an audience or judges before, so I had no idea how to focus, and that's what messed me up! So you are very wise to skate your program twice each session and really get it into your body so that you won't blank out in the middle of your program because you're so focused on trying to "present" LOL!

I found myself way ahead of my music and had to do a little mental rewind to figure out what I'd skipped. It turns out I'd skipped the whole section where I had my loop jump. So then I just started improvising, doing the loop jump and then coming around to do the next thing. It messed up my concentration and my rhythm and that made me mess up my sitspin. I didn't pass. I got comments like, "Should have skated to the music." Uh. . . yeah! ;)

jazzpants
08-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Here's a question that was running thru my mind...

I am a jump short of doing the Bronze FS test. My issue is that I tend to toe tap the landing on the loop. Everything else about the program is/should be pretty steady and ready to go...

My question is... should I go ahead and try it anyway, or should I keep working on that loop jump 'til it's consistently clean before I sign up for it?

Debbie S
08-14-2006, 01:52 PM
My question is... should I go ahead and try it anyway, or should I keep working on that loop jump 'til it's consistently clean before I sign up for it?Well, if you've never landed it, I would say to wait, but since you've landed it plenty of times in the past and can land it at least half the time, I say go for it. You'll never know unless you try....yeah, I know - famous words. ;)

If your flip is more consistent, you can always do that instead of the loop. The third single jump doesn't have to be a loop, and I've seen skaters do a flip instead - whatever's easier for them to do.

I've never done a passable backspin in competition (I got 3 rotations once, but stumbled out of it instead of exiting on the spinning foot). It's been consistent in practice (knocks on wood/head) so I decided to go ahead and give testing a shot. The good news is that if I mess up on it in the program, I'll get a reskate (assuming everything else was fine) and the backspin is more consistent when done in isolation than in the program, so hopefully, I'll at least be able to do it then. :oops:

jenlyon60
08-14-2006, 01:54 PM
What will you do for your 3rd jump (since the test sheet says "At Least 3 single jumps, including Salchow, Toeloop")?

Is that other jump secure enough that if you need a reskate of a jump other than the salchow or Toe loop, you would generally land it correctly such that it is recognizable for what it is supposed to be?

jazzpants
08-14-2006, 01:58 PM
What will you do for your 3rd jump (since the test sheet says "At Least 3 single jumps, including Salchow, Toeloop")? My third jump is the loop.

Is that other jump secure enough that if you need a reskate of a jump other than the salchow or Toe loop, you would generally land it correctly such that it is recognizable for what it is supposed to be?I have not consistently landed them. (I land them cleanly maybe about 20% of the time.) Most times I tend to toe tap the landing but I still come out gliding.

I also thought about doing the flip too, since I land those cleanly more often, but I also have the same issue with those as I do with the loop too! :roll: :frus:

Isk8NYC
08-14-2006, 02:29 PM
My issue is that I tend to toe tap the landing on the loop.Meaning, you land it then immediately pop into a toe tap? Hmmm.
The judges' requirements would include holding the landing edge, which you know you need to master anyway. From seeing you skate, I know you tend to drop the hip on 3-turns; maybe that's the problem with the jump landings? Try keeping your free leg more in front when you land, then sweep it to the back without dropping your hip. That should help keep you from tapping out of the landing.

The loop is required on the Silver FS test. The Bronze FS requires a salchow, a toe loop and another single jump. You could do a flip instead. Stay with what's more reliable and master it.

jazzpants
08-14-2006, 03:00 PM
The loop is required on the Silver FS test. The Bronze FS requires a salchow, a toe loop and another single jump. You could do a flip instead. Stay with what's more reliable and master it.Sure, if I didn't have the same problems as the loop too. Flip is more like 30-40% clean landings.

flo
08-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Jazz - I use to do the same thing for some new jumps. what worked for me was to land and delay the check out a tiny bit. In this way I knew that I was securly on the ice before I made any changes in body position. Also remember to keep your head up. If the head drops, the toe will follow.
You'll get it!

Hannahclear
08-14-2006, 03:14 PM
I'd give it a try, you might hit the jump that day or the judges might let it slide. Or you could get it in a reskate.

But if the flip has a higher percentage of successful landings, why not go with that one?

jazzpants
08-14-2006, 03:19 PM
But if the flip has a higher percentage of successful landings, why not go with that one?I'm actually playing with BOTH options now. We'll see which one gets it for the test session! :lol:

Thank you you guys that are giving me tips here!!! 8-)

doubletoe
08-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Since you already need to have 3 revs on a backspin for your Bronze test, why don't you try pointing your toes and leaving the ice at the end of your reverse spin so that the last revolution happens off the ice (i.e., you do a loop jump). It might help you stay backwards over your right hip and keep the left foot from coming down on landing. Not that you would do a loop that way on your test, but it might give you the feeling of it, KWIM?

e-skater
08-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Here's a question that was running thru my mind...

I am a jump short of doing the Bronze FS test. My issue is that I tend to toe tap the landing on the loop. Everything else about the program is/should be pretty steady and ready to go...

My question is... should I go ahead and try it anyway, or should I keep working on that loop jump 'til it's consistently clean before I sign up for it?

Hi, Jazz! I would go with whatever other jump is the most consistent within your program AND that you can do in isolation (just in case.....:) ).

I thought your flip had the most consistency?

Also, at an AB Freeskate test I saw over a year ago, the skater finished rotation on the ice on her loop AND kind of scratched/stepped out and was passed. The rest of her program was strong, so..........

Just a thought--- if everything else is pretty darn good, give it a shot and test when you want!

Debbie S
08-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Here are some questions that maybe those who have tested, and the judges among us, could answer :) :

What happens if a toe loop looks like a toe waltz? I worked on it tonight in lesson and my coach pointed out that even though I'm not actually doing a toe waltz, I tend to jump without drawing my right foot back toward the left toe (I jump CCW) and a judge might think I'm taking off forward when I'm really not. She pointed out that a judge can't come over and look at the tracing on the ice. Of course, I'm working on it but if I do it like that in my test, I wonder what would happen? Would I fail those elements (waltz-toe and solo toe)?

Also, I tend to jerk my left arm and shoulder to the left as I take off for the loop. We worked on this again tonight - trying to keep my left arm in front - but old (bad) habits die hard. Is this something that would get a deduction/retry?

jenlyon60
08-16-2006, 04:40 AM
For me, it would largely depend on the overall quality of the program, and the egregiousness of the faults.

For example...

If the toeloop appears to be a toe-waltz, AND

the sit spin barely sits, AND

the backspin barely makes 3 revs, AND

the overall flow is weak and slow (within the realms of Bronze skating)

or in other words, if the whole test appears to be a struggle for the skater (just not soup yet),

then I probably wouldn't pass it.

Just my $.02 worth.

OTOH, if the elements are basically there, with good flow, but the toeloop is the only marginal element, then I would probably pass the test. I might ask for a re-skate of the toeloop, I might not. It would also depend on what the rest of the panel wanted.

doubletoe
08-16-2006, 01:19 PM
I was having the same problem on the toeloop takeoff (for my double toe). What finally got me to pull back properly after picking was to think of it as a 2-footed takeoff. Try it; maybe it will work for you, too. :)

icedancer2
08-16-2006, 01:37 PM
For me, it would largely depend on the overall quality of the program, and the egregiousness of the faults.

For example...

I feel the same as Jen -- the "toe-waltz" would only bother me on a Bronze FS test if the rest of the program also lacked technically and performance-wise.

I was trialing on a panel once for a Novice FS where the skater did a toe-axel instead of a double-toe. One of the judges on the panel was like, "what is that?" and had her do it again. She did the same thing and then we had a discussion with the skater -- the rest of the program was really strong, so they passed her. Might not happen every time, but that time it was okay, even on the higher test -- I think her presentation mark brought the whole thing up.

e-skater
08-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Here are some questions that maybe those who have tested, and the judges among us, could answer :)

What happens if a toe loop looks like a toe waltz?

Also, I tend to jerk my left arm and shoulder to the left as I take off for the loop. We worked on this again tonight - trying to keep my left arm in front - but old (bad) habits die hard. Is this something that would get a deduction/retry?

Hi, Debbie. Well I just passed AB Freeskate. I think if the rest of your program is strong, has flow, and you complete the other elements, I doubt you would get a retry due to the toe loop. However, if, for any reason, they should ask you to reskate that one element, you wanna make sure you can do it in isolation, right? If it is just a matter of it's "looking like a toe waltz" that would be clear on reskate in my opinion.

As for the loop, lucky me, I did not develop that particular problem, though I certainly had many others while solidifying the jump. My coach has a student who is doing that with the L shoulder.....using L shoulder to help with takeoff. I only heard part of what she was telling the girl, so....whole tip is unknown, but she had the girl at the boards, practicing lengthening her entry and not rushing the jump, and staying over the R hip.....

FWIW

Hannahclear
08-18-2006, 11:52 AM
Done done and done. :D

It's a great feeling knowing that I can go to Adult Nats now! I'm still going to go for Silver, but I'm planning on being at the 08 Adult Nats for sure, whether it winds up being silver or bronze.

I had a decent skate and remembered to sell the program and look like I was enjoying myself. The thing my coach really emphasized is to make sure that you get the required number of revs on the spins. I had at least five for the backspin and one foot and I think 4 for the sit.

Ironically, the jump I almost flubbed was the loop, which is absolutely my best. I landed on the inside edge. :o But I held that landing for dear life. Then I had to muscle my way into a sit off of a funky edge, but I settled into it and held held held.

One judge marked me with 2.6 and 2.7 and the other two went with straight 2.5s. I don't really care! Just glad to be done. :D

Mrs Redboots
08-18-2006, 12:25 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!

Wonderful news. Not competing in Chicago, then?

That's two down, you and Janet.... the big question is, can Jazzpants make it three in a row?

Hannahclear
08-18-2006, 12:30 PM
No I'd really like to make silver or at least try to.

doubletoe
08-18-2006, 12:32 PM
EXCELLENT JOB!!!! :bow:

I don't know why it is, it seems that everyone always makes mistakes they *never make* when it's a competition or test (myself included)! But you passed without even having to re-skate anything! That's fantastic! And if they had asked for a re-skate of the loop, I know you would have nailed it.

Congratulations and see you at AN! :D

jazzpants
08-18-2006, 02:42 PM
WOO HOO!!! Congratulations, Hannahclear!!!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

(Okay, slightly jealous too! :mrgreen: But I think my Bronze FS test is coming sometime this year... soooo close to getting that loop now...)

ETA: Would you mind sharing your Bronze FS test notes on another thread??? ;)

Thin-Ice
08-21-2006, 05:10 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so happy for all our positive test results lately! Sounds like all the nitpicking we all do is paying off! Hurray! I hope we see you in Chicago -- silver or bronze!

Debbie S
08-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Congratulations, Hannahclear!

Hannahclear
08-21-2006, 04:16 PM
ETA: Would you mind sharing your Bronze FS test notes on another thread??? ;)

Which notes? You mean the judges comments?

jazzpants
08-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Which notes? You mean the judges comments?Yup! I mean that!

Debbie S
08-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Which notes? You mean the judges comments?Not to speak for Jazzpants, but I think that is what she means, yes. :)

Edited to add: LOL, Jazz, we both posted at the same time! :)

jazzpants
08-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Not to speak for Jazzpants, but I think that is what she means, yes. :)

Edited to add: LOL, Jazz, we both posted at the same time! :)Yeah, I was gonna post another post saying "Yeah, what she said!!!" and quoting your quote. LOL!!! :P :lol:

Hannahclear
08-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Judge 1 said:

All items completed for test, all spins and jumps good. Program moved well. 2.6/2.7

Judge 2 said:

Spins good. Jumps ok. Footwork good and spiral good. Presentation ok. 2.5/2.5

Judge 3 said:

No comments. 2.5/2.5

ETA: I have had Judge 3 before, for my bronze moves test, which she seemed to have liked better. :D

jazzpants
08-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Yup! Sounds very uneventful... go in, skate, pass test, go home!!! (My type of test!!!) ;)

Thanks for the notes! :)

Terri C
08-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Yup! Sounds very uneventful... go in, skate, pass test, go home!!! (My type of test!!!) ;)

No No!
It should be more like, go in, skate, pass test and GO TO A BAR AND DRINK!!!:lol:
At least this is my plan for when I go for retry #5 on the Bronze Free!

jazzpants
08-21-2006, 06:32 PM
No No!
It should be more like, go in, skate, pass test and GO TO A BAR AND DRINK!!!:lol:
At least this is my plan for when I go for retry #5 on the Bronze Free!With me, it would be "Go In, skate, pass test, go home, CRASH in bed and catch up on a good few year's worth of sleep!!! http://smilies.vidahost.com/cwm/3dlil/sleep.gif When I wake up from the sleep, THEN go to a bar and PARTY!!!" ;)

Mrs Redboots
08-22-2006, 04:59 AM
No No!
At least this is my plan for when I go for retry #5 on the Bronze Free!Here, test sessions start at about 6:30 am and finish no later than 10:30 am, usually earlier - and there are precious few bars open at that hour of the morning!

You could, of course, always have a bottle of champagne in the fridge and make yourself a Bucks Fizz (mimosa) to celebrate when you get home....

Skate@Delaware
08-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Hooray!!!!! Well Done!!!

doubletoe
08-22-2006, 12:01 PM
Here, test sessions start at about 6:30 am and finish no later than 10:30 am, usually earlier - and there are precious few bars open at that hour of the morning!

You could, of course, always have a bottle of champagne in the fridge and make yourself a Bucks Fizz (mimosa) to celebrate when you get home....

Or keep the champagne on ice (make sure it's in a corner of the rink that's harder for the judges to see!) and then pop it when you get those passing score sheets back, LOL!

jazzpants
08-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Or keep the champagne on ice (make sure it's in a corner of the rink that's harder for the judges to see!) and then pop it when you get those passing score sheets back, LOL!Actually, better to have an extra bottle of champagne with OJ chilled IN FRONT OF THE JUDGES!!! Give 'em incentive to pass you so you can celebrate and share the bubbly with them! ;) :twisted: :lol:

e-skater
08-23-2006, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE=Hannahclear]Done done and done. :D

It's a great feeling knowing that I can go to Adult Nats now! I'm still going to go for Silver, but I'm planning on being at the 08 Adult Nats for sure, whether it winds up being silver or bronze.

I had a decent skate and remembered to sell the program and look like I was enjoying myself.

Hey, GREAT JOB and CONGRATULATIONS! Sounds like so many people are on a test roll..........sounds like you had a good skate during your test, as well as good marks!

doubletoe
08-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Actually, better to have an extra bottle of champagne with OJ chilled IN FRONT OF THE JUDGES!!! Give 'em incentive to pass you so you can celebrate and share the bubbly with them! ;) :twisted: :lol:

Ahh, the true testing veteran! Such wisdom! LOL!