View Full Version : Backward Spirals

SkatingOnClouds
08-06-2006, 03:33 AM
My coach seems to have set her sights on my completing the Aussie Skate program, which comes before the ISA tests here in Australia, even though I passed Prelim & Bronze back in 1984.

She announced this weekend that I am to take the Dance 1 and 2 tests next Saturday. Nothing fancy, just a variety of chases and progressives. But if I do those, I may as well try to pass the final untried challenge - Ballet 2.

Main barriers to Ballet 2 are Ina Bauers - and I am just not built for those, but I can probably scrape by if I work at them - and backward spirals.

The spiral has to be done in the arabesque position, with free leg at least as high as the hip. I can get my leg that hight - just - going forward, but for some reason doing it backwards is really hard for me.

Maybe I just need no-one else on the ice with me, or maybe I'm doing it wrong. Hints and tips desperately needed here.

samba
08-06-2006, 03:48 AM
Main barriers to Ballet 2 are Ina Bauers - and I am just not built for those, but I can probably scrape by if I work at them - and backward spirals.

The spiral has to be done in the arabesque position, with free leg at least as high as the hip. I can get my leg that hight - just - going forward, but for some reason doing it backwards is really hard for me.

Maybe I just need no-one else on the ice with me, or maybe I'm doing it wrong. Hints and tips desperately needed here.

I think this is more a fear or injuring someone rather than anything else, I had the same problem and still wont do it unless my coach is with me to give me the all clear and alert me if anyone comes my way. If you have the leg position going forwards, then I guess its a matter of getting used to the backwards direction, look at it this way, for you it's much safer, less chance of a face plant, I imagine a big circle that I am leaning in on and find something to focus on to keep my head up, when I took my test I focused on one of the coaches behind the barrier who gave me a big smile in return. Its mainly confidence and I'm sure with the right guidance you can and will do it.

Good luck
Samba

Paulie86
08-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Do you do your backward spirals on the same leg as your forward spirals??? If not, try switching legs. I know some people who do them on opposite legs.

Isk8NYC
08-06-2006, 08:45 AM
For the backward spiral, get a "spotter" to skate behind you and make sure you don't slice anyone. Then, DON'T LOOK where you're going. Trust me, it works. Push onto a bent skating knee, lift your leg behind you, then straighten the skating knee a bit and finish the lift.

Bauers get easier if you just keep stretching into that position. Do the dishes while standing like that and s-t-r-e-t-c-h. Stretching after exercise helps lengthen those muscles. (I know, some people have a real turnout problem. Doesn't mean you can't try to improve it.)

doubletoe
08-06-2006, 09:27 PM
On backward spirals, you have to really feel like you're pulling back against the heel of your skating foot.

SkatingOnClouds
08-07-2006, 03:55 AM
I think this is more a fear or injuring someone

yeah, me !!!!

I am actually more worried about face plant going backwards.
I do feel more comfortable using the opposite leg to forwards, but can't lift the leg quite as high on that leg.

What's the best position for arms going backwards? When I go forwards I usually have them rounded back towards my hips, but when going backwards I have trouble committing to that.

Skate@Delaware
08-07-2006, 07:29 AM
What's the best position for arms going backwards? When I go forwards I usually have them rounded back towards my hips, but when going backwards I have trouble committing to that.
I use the same position forwards as I do backwards-out to the sides, slightly to the front. I don't put them back any further-I like to see them out of the corner of my eyes. In that position, they help me balance and steer a bit.

I worry more about face plants going forwards-it's the mechanics of it. You are more likely to catch a toepick going forwards than backwards. Going backwards you are more likely to decapitate children...:twisted:

mintypoppet
08-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Going backwards you are more likely to decapitate children...:twisted:

Now, that's why I want to learn a camel spin! :lol:

Skate@Delaware
08-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Now, that's why I want to learn a camel spin! :lol:
ah yes, the whirling blades of death spin!!!!

Thin-Ice
08-08-2006, 02:59 AM
My coach always tells me not to worry about people on freestyle sessions staying out of my way when I practice camels. She says if skaters want to see what food feels like in a food processor, I should allow them to experience it for themselves. :lol: (Of course, I'm not nearly fast enough on these yet to give them that experience!)

SkatingOnClouds
08-08-2006, 03:36 AM
Tee-hee, love the comments about camel spins. On our tiny rink, it is all too likely to happen.

Correct me if I am wrong here, my understanding on forward spirals is that I should have the weight towards the heel. That way the blade rides up over any bumps (or small children) and I am less likely to fall. But does that mean when going backwards I should have the weight towards the front, like around the spin sweet spot?

Skate@Delaware
08-08-2006, 07:56 AM
Tee-hee, love the comments about camel spins. On our tiny rink, it is all too likely to happen.

Correct me if I am wrong here, my understanding on forward spirals is that I should have the weight towards the heel. That way the blade rides up over any bumps (or small children) and I am less likely to fall. But does that mean when going backwards I should have the weight towards the front, like around the spin sweet spot?
I don't know about anyone else, but that's the way I do it. And on front spirals, I really PUSH the skating foot forward so it's past my hips. It really helps on extension.

doubletoe
08-08-2006, 12:40 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but that's the way I do it. And on front spirals, I really PUSH the skating foot forward so it's past my hips. It really helps on extension.

On either the backward or forward spirals, you still need to pull back against the heel of your skating foot (or push the skating foot forward as Skate@Delaware put it). If I don't do that, I end up scraping my toepick on my back spiral, so I would have to say the part of the blade you're on is exactly the same as the forward spiral. I suppose you just need to play with it and see what works for you.