View Full Version : Bronze Moves Notes: 8/5/2006

jazzpants
08-05-2006, 05:32 PM
As promised... ;)

Well, no surprises here!!! The butterflies in my stomach were definitely going full force here!!! I was skating "angry" on the first, second and fourth move. I didn't expect to pass on the power 3's. They were sucky to start and we all knew that going into the test and I concentrated on the first, second and fourth move to make up for it. 5 step mohawk was the wildcard move for me.

I had no retries to do!!!

Forward Perimeter Crossovers:

No surprises here! I had trouble during the warm up... and I really needed to slow down long enough to watch out for those toe pushes...

Judge 1: 2.5 - nice speed but steppy and toe pushes. Good extensions, but POINT YOUR TOES!!!
Judge 2: 2.5 - maintained flow throughout; extension fine; watch out for toe pushing; work on push under
Judge 3: 2.6 - maintained flow and power; extension OK

Back Perimeter Crossovers:

The "some flat edges on strokes" is partly b/c I was dealing with the ditch! The knee bend part is the part I'm concerned about... since in practice it wasn't that bad...

Judge 1: 2.5 - Again, excellent speed for level. Need to push through more. More knee bend and get off those toe picks!!!
Judge 2: 2.4 - Would like to see more knee bend, sit back more on blade to get less toe scraping.
Judge 3: 2.5 - maintained flow and generated power throughout; some flat edges on strokes

Forward Power 3-turns:

Yeah, yeah! I know this moves for me SUCKS!!! :roll: Almost killed myself on the 2nd half of the move! NEXT!!!

Judge 1: 2.4 - Good power/flow for level. Turn is OK - not on toe but back edges on toe/ leaning forward too much
Judge 2: 2.4 - Cautious, need stronger push and edge into 3 turns
Judge 3: 2.4 - Flow OK, Shallow lobes, on toes on 2nd half

Alt Back Crossovers to BO Edges:

VERY VERY happy about this move! Jay said it was my BEST move out of this test!!! :mrgreen: It's a bit slow for me, but as long as I kept the flow, I was happy!

Judge 1: 2.6 - Good speed/flow -> NOW you are NOT on toes!!! GOOD!!! BUT POINT TOE on free leg!!!
Judge 2: 2.5 - Maintained flow throughout, some scratchy on crossovers. Extension good
Judge 3: 2.6 - maintained flow and power; good ice coverage; good upper body control

5 step mohawks:

This was the wild card move... but thankfully I focused on the other moves to make up for this one! I needed it!!! I concentrated on KICKING thru the extensions!!! But I still have to work on those nasty mohawks!!! :x But WHEW, I got a passing mark from Judge 1!

Judge 1: 2.5 - Excellent lobes -> Scratchy on mohawk. Don't look down!!! POINT TOES!! Good speed.
Judge 2: 2.4 - edge quality of step 3, 4 and 5 OK Extension OK. Need to work on smoother transition in mohawks
Judge 3: 2.4 - Maintained flow & control; Some MOH hopped; Extension OK

Overall Total:

Judge 1: 12.5
Judge 2: 12.2
Judge 3: 12.5

Passing average: 2.5
Passing total: 12.5

Maineskate
08-05-2006, 05:50 PM
WooohOOOOOOOO Way to GO!!!!!

Congratulations!!!!!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Julie

Sk8pdx
08-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Nice goin', Jazz. Thank you for sharing the judges notes. This will help give some insight as I prepare for my first try at passing Bronze MIF in December. Hangin' out with the Pre-bronze Peanut Gallerians is nice, but I don't want to stay here forever. Reading about your struggles you have conquered over the course of time through your posts has given me much inspiration. Thank you, Jazzpants. I hope to meet you at AN someday.:D

e-skater
08-06-2006, 11:50 AM
As promised... ;)

I had no retries to do!!!

Plus, you got some "overs".....and YOU PASSED! :bow:

Loved reading the notes. I dug out my AB moves test sheets.......how strikingly similar our power 3 comments were! I was 2.4 from all judges on power 3's. Although each of them said power was "good", there were other issues...... Like completely freaking out and losing ALL FOCUS when I got to that move!!!!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

Thanks for taking your time to write these up, Jazz. I'm still smiling about it! :D

gt20001
08-08-2006, 02:13 AM
Nice goin', Jazz. Thank you for sharing the judges notes. This will help give some insight as I prepare for my first try at passing Bronze MIF in December. Hangin' out with the Pre-bronze Peanut Gallerians is nice, but I don't want to stay here forever. Reading about your struggles you have conquered over the course of time through your posts has given me much inspiration. Thank you, Jazzpants. I hope to meet you at AN someday.:D

I agree here i want to move up soon as well i am planning on trying bronze moves around the end of the year as well. Thanks for the comments.