View Full Version : I got my Double 3's, but.....

miraclegro
08-04-2006, 06:33 AM
I was so excited to finally achieve my double 3's yesterday! I am also working on brackets (ugh). I am wondering, though, how do i keep my speed and power throughout? I seem to fizzle after the 2nd three, and also after the "bracket" part of the bracket. I'll never pass on power if i don't get some help. I am mostly working without a coach on these right now and spending most of my money workihng on Adult Silver freestyle, so any tips will be appreciated.

miraclegro
08-04-2006, 06:34 AM
I didn't think it got posted the first time, sorry about the "double three" double question!

Isk8NYC
08-04-2006, 09:17 AM
I saw and deleted the duplicate. No problem - duplicate happens to all of us!

There's a rythm to each of these maneuvers - your turn has to be in synch with your knee bend, upper body rotation and actual edge/direction changes. Lots of practice, preferably to music, really helps solidy these and keep the momentum.

For the bracket, the knee bend will help continue the speed, as will doing a clean turn. The less scraping, the less loss of momentum.

CFP
08-04-2006, 03:04 PM
hi there,
i'm in the early stages of learning bracketts and choctaws.. [ love the quick, dance like pace..:yum: ],, but WHAT is a double-3? i've 'heard' of it, but have never been shown.

techskater
08-04-2006, 03:36 PM
Double threes and brackets are generally the same problem if you don't flow out - not enough knee bend and check. You have to check hard at the end of both the double threes and the brackets. When you are up in your knee on the exit, you scratch and have no flow.

doubletoe
08-04-2006, 09:02 PM
When you exit the bracket turn, bend really deeply and use your ankle a lot.

Thin-Ice
08-07-2006, 03:13 AM
I have not really worked on brackets.. but a friend of mine said getting the rhythm of them really helped her maintain the flow. She said her coach said to find a phrase that worked for her to maintain that rhythm. The coach said she would not help her find one.. but said she found that "slow in-turn-and-out" worked for three turns. My friend said she inadvertently found her bracket rhythm when she was thinking about doing them and was a little fearful... and started saying "oh! my! god! oh! my! god!" -- She said that turned into her bracket mantra... and even helped her relax a little on her tests. One judge even told her afterwards, she was the first skater the judge had ever seen smile during brackets... but she didn't tell her judge her secret.

techskater
08-07-2006, 04:13 PM
We used to have code phrases for patch too. I used the Alka Seltzer (old) commercial for back outside and inside 8's for the movement of arms, head, and free foot.

Thin-Ice
08-08-2006, 03:07 AM
Which "old Alka-Seltzer commercial"? I remember them all the way back to "I can't believe I ate the whole thing"... which really shows I've been around "a while".:roll:

techskater
08-08-2006, 07:40 AM
No, the tune - Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is

Thin-Ice
08-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Oh cool!!! I'm going to remember that.. we work on those from time to time and that will certainly help. Thanks for the "inside" information.:P