View Full Version : Skates too small?

MermaidSkater
08-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Hello! My daughter has gotten a blister on the back of her foot all of a sudden from her right skate. She has had these about 6 months. If a blister comes up all of a sudden like this, does that indicate that the skates are probably too small now? I have always gotten blisters when I wore things too big...but I know her feet are not shrinking :) Thank you!

flippet
08-03-2006, 04:52 PM
It could be that the padding in the skate has compressed somewhat, and now the heel area is indeed slightly 'too big'. That's happened to me with both of my pairs of Riedells--as they break down, they get looser. My first pair only lasted me a good 6 months, too, though I made them work for another 6 months. If she's skating quite a bit, I bet this is what's happening...especially if they're a lower-end model.

doubletoe
08-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Yes, that's actually very typical. The next time you buy skates for her, ask the boot fitter to give you your daughter's heel and ball measurements separately and see if she needs a combination width boot. That solved the heel slippage problem for me and it didn't cost much more. I now wear boots that are B in the ball and A in the heel.

SkatingOnClouds
08-04-2006, 03:44 AM
Just another thought, because this happened to my daughter. Ask her to make sure she is pushing her heel right back to the heel before lacing it up.

Easton-Skater
08-04-2006, 05:55 AM
If the blisters persist even after you slide the heel of the foot right to the back of the boot prior to doing up the laces, then just use the cheapest band-aids you can get, and stick the band-aids over the part of the foot that is having the rubbing problems. The the boot can rub all it wants on the band-aid and the foot will come out completely unscathed.

MermaidSkater
08-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Thank you, all! Bandaids worked today and will hopefully continue to work until we get new skates. Her coach is working on that so we should be good to go soon! Thanks, again!