View Full Version : How long does it take to have an axel?

oz01
08-02-2006, 09:32 AM
For kids and adults (I mean not so fit adults)

Thanks!

doubletoe
08-02-2006, 12:50 PM
For adults, it really depends on the person. I'm pretty athletic and it still took me about 3 years to get my axel after getting my lutz (which I had by the time I'd been skating for 2 years). It would have taken less time if I had worked harder on my reverse spin first, though.
I don't know many adults who have landed their axel much sooner than that, and there are many skaters who start as adults who never do land a clean axel. But it's really a function of determination, persistence and fearlessness. There's no reason you can't land your first axel when you're over 50 (and that has happened) but you need to stick with it.

skating_life
08-02-2006, 06:23 PM
I was very lucky. I landed my axel the first day i tried it.
But it still took me about a year to get it 90% constant.

rf3ray
08-03-2006, 05:30 AM
Took me 6 weeks to get my axel after only skating for 18months, it comes and goes

fmh
08-03-2006, 02:06 PM
it is different for everyone...It took me about 2 years to get mine then another to get it consistant :P but after i got it consistant everything else came...but i was young when i started trying axels (10 or 11)..it is probably different for adults, it also depends on how often you skate

2loop2loop
08-03-2006, 03:47 PM
I learned mine at 14 going on 15. It took me two weeks to land the first one then a good 8 months before I could do it again. It has been with me for the 12 years since.

John

daisies
08-03-2006, 03:49 PM
There's no set time for everyone. Some get it quickly, some don't. I think it took me a year to get it clean when I was 12. I remember landing it flat-footed for a while before one day -- boom! -- I landed it backwards and on the toe. Just keep at it and it will come!

kateskate
08-03-2006, 03:57 PM
I've been learning it for about 2 years. Have done it more than once but its currently left me. I've known people who got it within a week of learning and some pretty good skaters (even kids) who took years.

Good to know someone else had the flat footed landing thing - I make a nice thud when I land at the moment!