View Full Version : Any info on Skylands Ice Rink in Stockholm, NJ

newskaker5
08-01-2006, 06:33 PM
I know Skylands Ice World, which closed in 2004 - is suppossed to reopen this month. Does anyone have any info on when it will open? Also, does anyone have any news as to if they will offer freestyle ice or basically just hockey :( Any info would be great - it will be so much closer for me :):lol:

Isk8NYC
08-01-2006, 07:43 PM
This article (http://www.njherald.com/286676404444859.php)says they're going for the all-hockey approach with two rinks. (Opening 8/15/2006)

Too bad -- sounds like they have a great facility with two NHL rinks, to support more than just one sport. Maybe they don't have the expertise, or they don't want to overreach.

ETA:

Hey! I found their new website (http://www.skylandsnj.com/) and they will have a LTS program as well as some "Skate Jams" public sessions.

Sounds like a good place for a SkatingForums meetup - anyone interested?

Emberchyld
08-01-2006, 09:14 PM
ETA:

Hey! I found their new website (http://www.skylandsnj.com/) and they will have a LTS program as well as some "Skate Jams" public sessions.

Sounds like a good place for a SkatingForums meetup - anyone interested?

*raises hand* Me! Me! This was/is my closest rink and I didn't have any idea that it closed until I showed up to sign up for LTS in February and found it dark and the lot empty!

I'd love to meet some of you (and then everyone can laugh at my dreadful skating! :D

Isk8NYC
08-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Anyone interested, give one of us a PM.

Is there a good, healthy, and not-too-costly place to eat in the area? We've gotten lucky the last two times we had meetups.

Emberchyld - There's no laughing allowed, or mocking yourself. I'm sure you're a great skater.

newskaker5
08-02-2006, 07:19 PM
I would - Im so excited to not have to commute almost an hour each way now! I still will for lesson, but otherwise I can practice more :)

Stockholm isnt the most happening place, but to eat - you can con;t down rt. 23 a bit and there are some small restuarnts in Franklin/ Hamburg or take 515 into Vernon and there's some deli's, pizza/ Italian, and Chinese -oh and a new Hooter's is opening soon ;) we can eat there too :lol:

Isk8NYC
08-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Where is it in relation to Lincoln Park? Wait - Vernon? As in the Ski town? Wow. That's a haul for me. One night's okay, though I wouldn't make a regular trip of it.

I miss the Calico Kitchen - my skating friends and I used to close it out every Tuesday night after the wine-and-cheese adult public session at Ice World.

Could the owners of Skylands Ice World be the same people that owned Ice World in Totowa?

renatele
08-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Not the closest ice rink for me, but I'm game for a meetup (assuming I can make it there on a particular day). Some weekend public session sounds good, except last weekend in August.

Isk8NYC: oops, I never got back to you, did I? :oops: Maybe we'll meet at skylands, then.

Isk8NYC
08-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Nope, entirely my fault. Between jury duty and the kids' camp schedule, I haven't had a free day to sneak out for a long lunch.

Emberchyld
08-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Lincoln Park-- it's wayyy up Rt 23, through the hamburg mountains where you lose radio signal. I'm in the boondocks of Bloomingdale (on the west milford border), so I'm "far" from every rink in the region, it seems!

Lincoln Park is about 20-25 minutes away from me and the rink is maybe 15-20 minutes, so I think you've got a good 1/2 hr to maybe 45 minute drive.

Seriously... I've seen renatale skate compared to me, and if the rest of you are even half as good as her... well... I'll just stand by the boards and aspire to reach your level! :lol:

newskaker5
08-03-2006, 01:06 PM
The rink is on 23 right after the vernon exit - its right where it turns from 2 lanes to 1 lane. About 30 minutes from lincoln park. About 15 minutes from the ski area.

I dont know anything about the owners - but its reopening under a new owner - someone I think associated with the Ice Vault in Wayne. The old owner closed it (not sure why) and isnt the one reopening it

Thin-Ice
08-04-2006, 03:34 AM
I've seen renatale skate compared to me, and if the rest of you are even half as good as her... well... I'll just stand by the boards and aspire to reach your level! :lol:

Meet-ups are just for fun.. they're not competition. We all learn things from each other. We even have a lovely should-test-up-to-Gold skater (her Axel is inconsistent.. and she says she doesn't feel confident testing) at our rink who asks the no-test and Pre-Bronze skaters for advice and input.. and offers the same when they ask her. The best part of adult skating (at least for me) is the fun of meeting other people who are crazy about and crazed by this sport as I am. So no one should or will laugh at your skating. The only people who are worth laughing about/feeling sorry for are those who don't have the courage to go out on the ice at all... and obviously that's NOT you!