View Full Version : Axels landings - Is it normal

rf3ray
08-01-2006, 06:19 AM
Is it normal to get the axel and then have it go bad to double footing them all the time? is this normal or am I a freak

jp1andOnly
08-01-2006, 08:07 AM
Perfectly normal

My friend got her axel, it went away and returned a year later.

Is it normal to get the axel and then have it go bad to double footing them all the time? is this normal or am I a freak

TreSk8sAZ
08-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Believe me, it's normal. Almost everyone goes through it. And it's normal on double loops.... and double sals.... (Can you tell I've been having trouble with my jumps :roll: )

flo
08-01-2006, 10:01 AM
rf3ray - what if we said you were a freak? Would you stop trying?????
The important thing is that it's normal for you. Don't worry about the norm for skating, it will drive you nuts. Everyone learns in different ways and rates, so go for it, and most important, enjoy yourself.

skating_life
08-01-2006, 11:56 AM
My coach told me once I got my axel, that it would go away for maybe a few weeks. And that it happens to everyone!
Unlucky me it happened competition season. :(

doubletoe
08-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Yes, the axel is a strange creature. You never really "have" an axel; the axel has you! I've been landing axels for 3 years and I still 2-foot it if I don't get the takeoff and transition right. Focus on keeping your shoulders level on the takeoff edge (not dropping the takeoff side shoulder) so you don't curve your takeoff edge. Then try to get backward over your landing hip quickly once you've left the ice.

badaxel
08-01-2006, 03:34 PM
I hope it is normal... I haven't seen my axel in two weeks. My coach insists that when it is lost, it is usually because of not pulling in tight enough or long enough. It sounds logical, but, like I said, I still can't get it together. Maybe we should start a support group or search party...

ouijaouija
08-01-2006, 05:10 PM
iam curious, how long does it take to learn the axel, I mean does it take syears of skating? thanks

doubletoe
08-01-2006, 05:54 PM
I started skating at 27 and had all of my single jumps consistent within 2 years, but after that, it took me another 3 years to land my first axel on the floor and then another year after that to land it on the ice. To land the axel, you need to have good single jumps in combination, a good backspin and total control over your fear, LOL!

beachbabe
08-01-2006, 05:58 PM
perfectly normal, I had mine on and off for 6 months before i finally had it at about 90%. I had a double toe more consistently.

My coach said i started letting my leg swing out and my arms wern't pulling in all the way. It sorta came back by itself though.

Don't give up on it and keep on practicing it every time you are on the ice. Eventually it will just click. Do lots of watz-backspins, waltz-loops.

luna_skater
08-01-2006, 06:50 PM
iam curious, how long does it take to learn the axel, I mean does it take syears of skating? thanks

It depends on a million different factors:

- your coach's teaching methods
- your quickness/slowness to learn
- how often you practice
- how often you have lessons
- fear level
- "natural talent" level (i.e., for some people, skating and jumping come totally naturally, and others really have to work at it)

etc...

I have been skating for 20 years, but only just started to learn free skate last year (before that, I did synchro, dance, and skills). I have been working on my axel on and off for almost a year. Some days I am braver than others. Sometimes life gets in the way and I can't practice for two weeks at a time. I think that if I were able to have a lesson with my coach every single day, I would have landed it by now, but that's not realistic given where I am in my life. So I'm just patient and keep taking baby steps, and I know I'll land at least one of those suckers one day!

ouijaouija
08-01-2006, 07:20 PM
yikes, sounds scary.

I mean today,when I was having my most depressing session, there was a girl there who was head and shoulders above us all, she did a double axel and it looked amazing. I wish I could do that.

Hydroblade
08-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Don't worry about losing jumps such as the axel cause it will aways come back. Even the top skaters in the world lose jumps and get them back, it's just that are made all competition ready and look good when the cameras are on.

I lost the axel for a little while when I had first had it. All you have to do is think about the basics of the jump.

-take off from a clean and straight forward edge
-jump then rotate
-land with control

So thats all you have to do and you'll have it back in no time!

cutiesk8r43
08-05-2006, 05:50 PM
IT IS PERFECTLY NORMAL :mrgreen:

when I got my axel it would come and go,it did that for a year. It is finally consistant now *jumps for joy*:lol: