View Full Version : Overcoming my fears.

crazi4sk-8-ting
07-31-2006, 06:52 PM
ok well I know a couple of jumps and now i am working on the toe loop. I got the basic idea of the jump, but for some reason I can't get in the air. I guess its because i'm alittle scared. Got any advice?

froggy
07-31-2006, 07:28 PM
can you do a waltz? if so try doing just for starters a toe waltz, (ccw) doing a right inside 3 turn, pick your free/left leg in the ice, turn your body like about 1/4 to the left, bring your right leg around do a waltz, land like you would on a waltz, hurray you just did a toe waltz, as you get more confident and can add maybe a little more speed into the 3 turn enterance and more lift on the waltz then try jumping up without turning your whole body around, i know i may open a can of worms saying this, but in essence a toe loop is really a 3/4 turn since there is an allowable 1/4 turn cheat in the beginning when you sorta hook the outside edge take off, the outside edge itself helps bring you around ccw.

good luck hope i explained it well.

beachbabe
07-31-2006, 10:24 PM
to beat fear, my trick is to try it once and purposely fall on the jump just to feel that its ok to fall. Once i've fallen, i kinda loosen up and can go for more without as much fear.

try not to contemplate how painful the falls might be, youll just psych yourself out. Instead do the technique to your best ability and go for it, or the fear will just keep building and you'll never go for it.

skating_life
08-01-2006, 12:00 PM
I just keep on doing the jump off the ice until I get sick of it.
Falling is kind of scary at first but now I am into my doubles and I fall millions of times per lesson. And yes sometimes it doesn hurt, but it doesnt stop me from keeping on trying.

flo
08-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Try some pads to make yourself more comfortable. Remember when you do fall not to fight it, but bend your knees. Once you fall a couple of times you'll be fine.

doubletoe
08-01-2006, 12:37 PM
On the toeloop, it's very important to remember to "jump from down" instead of "jumping from up." It's impossible to jump off a straight leg, so make sure you have your skating leg (your right leg if you pick with your left) bent deeply as you stick your toepick into the ice. Then stay down and get your weight onto that toepick before jumping up off of it. Most people don't bend deeply enough and they rush the pick so they don't get enough weight on the toe and it slips. It's also important to make sure your foot is pointing down and compeletely backwards when your toe goes into the ice. If it is starting to turn, you won't get a solid pick into the ice and it can slip for that reason as well. So, get down low, stay backwards to pick, get all your weight onto the toe, then jump up off the toe. :)

crazi4sk-8-ting
08-01-2006, 02:25 PM
can you do a waltz? if so try doing just for starters a toe waltz, (ccw) doing a right inside 3 turn, pick your free/left leg in the ice, turn your body like about 1/4 to the left, bring your right leg around do a waltz, land like you would on a waltz, hurray you just did a toe waltz, as you get more confident and can add maybe a little more speed into the 3 turn enterance and more lift on the waltz then try jumping up without turning your whole body around, i know i may open a can of worms saying this, but in essence a toe loop is really a 3/4 turn since there is an allowable 1/4 turn cheat in the beginning when you sorta hook the outside edge take off, the outside edge itself helps bring you around ccw.

good luck hope i explained it well.

i can alreasy do a waltz ,but i never tried or heard of a toe waltz i'll give it a try thanks.

itfigures
08-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Hi, I am also confused about the toe loop. I do not have a coach :cry: but plan on getting another one soon. I have taught myself how to do a toeloop but I don't think I am doing it right, and after reading the "toe waltz" i think I am doing that instead. When I do a toeloop I start with CCW backwards crossovers, skate backwards than hit my left toe pick into the ice and spin on it untill i am facing fowards again and then jump fowards.
If I am doing a "toewaltz" how do you do a "toe loop" ??:?:

Isk8NYC
08-02-2006, 07:11 PM
In a Toe Loop, you take off backwards by picking in and "vaulting" off the toepick up into the air, then turn in the air to land backwards.

One way to master it is to not turn in the air. Just pick and jump straight up, then land without rotating. It helps build height and strengthens your landing. Most people aren't really fearful of the jump - it's the "coming down" part that scares them most.

One way to beat the fear is to start doing the jumps multiple times in a row. Do a waltz jump, land, step into the next waltz jump. The momentum and repeated preparation/jumping distracts you from the "I'm in the air!" panic.

doubletoe
08-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi, I am also confused about the toe loop. I do not have a coach :cry: but plan on getting another one soon. I have taught myself how to do a toeloop but I don't think I am doing it right, and after reading the "toe waltz" i think I am doing that instead. When I do a toeloop I start with CCW backwards crossovers, skate backwards than hit my left toe pick into the ice and spin on it untill i am facing fowards again and then jump fowards.
If I am doing a "toewaltz" how do you do a "toe loop" ??:?:

Make sure you are still backwards with your left arm still extended in front of you and your right arm back when you feel your toepick go into the ice (or the opposite if you pick with your right foot and rotate CW). Pick a little to the outside instead of picking directly behind your skating foot (say, at 7:00 instead of 6:00). Get your weight onto the toe and pull yourself back, and as you leave the ice, aim your right knee 90 degrees to the left, so that your right thigh crosses your left thigh on takeoff and you leave the ice facing 90 degrees to the left (instead of 180 degrees, which turns you to face completely forward). In the air, straighten the right leg and transfer your weight to the right hip before landing backwards on the right foot.

Skate@Delaware
08-02-2006, 08:22 PM
I think the thought of picking into the ice with any speed is sometimes scary! If you build up to it slowly you can overcome the fear and trepidation. Start slow and pick in, then gradually speed up. Eventually you will be going at a good speed for the toe-loop (and for any jump) and soon you can add even more speed and steps preceeding it. That's what I do (I still work on it).

doubletoe
08-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Yes, and the more speed you have, the deeper you need to bend your skating knee and the farther you need to reach back with your picking foot. When you bend deeply and reach way back, it gives you a chance to get your weight onto the toepick before your skating foot catches up to the picking foot and you need to leave the ice.

beachbabe
08-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Make sure you are still backwards with your left arm still extended in front of you and your right arm back when you feel your toepick go into the ice (or the opposite if you pick with your right foot and rotate CW). Pick a little to the outside instead of picking directly behind your skating foot (say, at 7:00 instead of 6:00). Get your weight onto the toe and pull yourself back, and as you leave the ice, aim your right knee 90 degrees to the left, so that your right thigh crosses your left thigh on takeoff and you leave the ice facing 90 degrees to the left (instead of 180 degrees, which turns you to face completely forward). In the air, straighten the right leg and transfer your weight to the right hip before landing backwards on the right foot.

am I the only one that has notices she's doing a toe loop from back crossovers. Never in my life have I seen anyone do, or been taught to do a toeloop from backcrossovers.

It is done from a LFI endge, to RFI edge into a RFI3-turn and then pick in. or in combination. You can't just skate backwards and pick in, its not a lutz.

dont teach yourself, because you willl lern weird habits that are hard to undo later. Better wait and get it right with proper instruction.

itfigures
08-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the help! I actually did a real toeloop!!! Now all I have to do is work on my spinning!

doubletoe
08-04-2006, 09:06 PM
That's true, it is rather unusual to do a toeloop from back crossovers. It isn't *wrong* to do it that way (from L/R CCW back crossovers), but you just never see it done. Have you tried it from a right forward inside 3-turn? Or try it from the landing edge of a waltz jump and see if you can do it like a combination jump.

techskater
08-05-2006, 05:10 AM
I've seen that entry before in a Novice test program. It was really great because the skater was doing some connecting steps, crossed over, picked and voila - double toe! Very surprising and different. So long as the skater's on a back outside edge and picks with the non-landing foot, it's a toe loop. I've also seen:
forward outside 3, step, pick (it wasn't a toe walley because the step down was onto an outside edge, not inside)
Mohawk, step, pick
Axel, 1/2 loop, step, pick
Outside Mohawk, pick

And I'm sure some smart persons has done it from an inside bracket, outer counter, and outer rockers before, I've just never gotten to see those.

beachbabe
08-05-2006, 08:36 PM
I've seen that entry before in a Novice test program. It was really great because the skater was doing some connecting steps, crossed over, picked and voila - double toe! Very surprising and different. So long as the skater's on a back outside edge and picks with the non-landing foot, it's a toe loop. I've also seen:
forward outside 3, step, pick (it wasn't a toe walley because the step down was onto an outside edge, not inside)
Mohawk, step, pick
Axel, 1/2 loop, step, pick
Outside Mohawk, pick

And I'm sure some smart persons has done it from an inside bracket, outer counter, and outer rockers before, I've just never gotten to see those.

its true there are many ways to do a move once you've learned it, but surely it should be learned properly as I suggested from a FI3. Just like you can adjust moves however you want when you've learned them, the same is for a toeloop. You can always change it up but you have to get comfortable with the conventional toeloop entry that most skaters learn from- a FI3

techskater
08-06-2006, 07:04 PM
It could be a situation where the coach is teaching it in a way that is more comfortable for the skater. These days, there is NOTHING "conventional". I know if you take from my coach, she looks for the method that works best for YOU!