View Full Version : Pre Bronze Moves and Freeskate Test Questions

gt20001
07-30-2006, 10:45 PM
I was wondering if anyone on here could possibly give me some advice i am scheduled to take my pre bronze moves and freeskate test on tuesday. It is my first time trying this test. I have never ever tested before and was wondering if anyone could give me any helpful advice that has taken this test that may make it a little easier for me. Also when you took your pre bronze freeskate test did you just skate each element then stop and then do the next one my coach wanted me to do it in a program type format with no music but i thought i would prefer doing it in individual elements. Less chance for a mistake on one element to mess up the next. If you do it individually do the judges tell you what to do and do you wait for them to tell you to do the next element this question pertains to the moves test as well any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

icedancer2
07-30-2006, 11:57 PM
I haven't taken the pre-bronze freestyle but I have judged it. Most people don't do a program style -- they just go through the elements. The judges on your panel will let you know what they want -- they know you haven't tested before. Usually people go through the elements in order. Just make sure that all of the judges are looking up from their boards before you start the next element. If you don't go in order it is really no big deal generally as the judges can see what you are doing and mark accordingly (hopefully they can figure out what you are doing!!).

Good luck and have fun on your test!

Joan
07-31-2006, 07:16 AM
On the moves test, you should wait after each part and look at the judge panel for a nod, or indication that they are no longer writing notes from the move you just did. For the free skate part, you can probably do it more seamlessly.

Debbie S
07-31-2006, 07:49 AM
When I tested Pre-Bronze FS, I did not do a program. I did each element individually, then came back to my starting point (in my case, the center of the center hockey circle b/c I was the only one on the ice - if you are testing with others at the same time - frequently for this test, 3 skaters (either Pre-Bronze or Pre-Prelim) will be out there, each with 1 judge - you will start at a different spot - the judge will direct you). I looked to make sure the judges had finished writing comments and were looking up before starting the next element. Usually, they would nod their heads when ready.

If in doubt whether the judges would like you to do the elements individually or continuously (like a program), ask them before you test (you'll go up to the judges and introduce yourself before you start each test).

Good luck!

gt20001
07-31-2006, 11:17 AM
When I tested Pre-Bronze FS, I did not do a program. I did each element individually, then came back to my starting point (in my case, the center of the center hockey circle b/c I was the only one on the ice - if you are testing with others at the same time - frequently for this test, 3 skaters (either Pre-Bronze or Pre-Prelim) will be out there, each with 1 judge - you will start at a different spot - the judge will direct you). I looked to make sure the judges had finished writing comments and were looking up before starting the next element. Usually, they would nod their heads when ready.

If in doubt whether the judges would like you to do the elements individually or continuously (like a program), ask them before you test (you'll go up to the judges and introduce yourself before you start each test).

Good luck!

In my case i know i will be the only one out there there are only 4 other skaters testing 2 are intermediate one is junior and the other is juvenille or something so i know i will be the only one out there and i have to go first so i cant even watch what the others do i didnt know you went up to the judges before you skate. I wont be doing the freeskate if i cant pass the moves my back inside edges are still messing me up a bit. Most of my other stuff is pretty strong but the back edges are my weakest and that waltz 8. My coach thinks i will pass but i am just not sure whether i can manage to do them under pressure becuase they are still a little weak.

Hannahclear
07-31-2006, 12:39 PM
Generally, they want to encourage you on this test. Don't worry too much, if your coach thinks you can pass, you most likely will.

I don't remember what I did on prebronze FS between elements, but I don't think they will really mind either way. :mrgreen:

jazzpants
07-31-2006, 01:22 PM
I've never taken the Pre-Bronze Moves test, but my understanding of moves test is that you need to do each moves in order of the test forms (http://www.usfsa.org/membernews.asp?id=248&sid=20822).

For Pre-Bronze FS, I've seen them do a string of elements to no music -- sorta like a mini-program but no music. (Recalling from 2000... 8O ) I didn't do them in test form order but I passed anyway. I have seen Pre-Bronze tests where the coaches wants their student to do them in order... one coach's "no music Pre-Bronze FS program" is shared amongst all his students.

Good luck on your tests!!! :)

Debbie S
07-31-2006, 02:44 PM
I've never taken the Pre-Bronze Moves test, but my understanding of moves test is that you need to do each moves in order of the test forms (http://www.usfsa.org/membernews.asp?id=248&sid=20822).Yep! And I noticed that the order of the elements on the Pre-Bronze FS test has changed (at least, it was different 2 years ago, when I took it), presumably to bring the order in line with what is in the rulebook. There had been a discrepancy between the two - I did the elements in the order of the test sheet, but I'd seen others do it the other way - actually, I don't think the judges will have a cow if you do the FS elements out of order, but it's good practice to stick to whatever the test sheet says. MIF must be done in order. If for some reason, you blank out and forget what's next, you are allowed to go over to your coach between moves, so you can ask.

Yes, at the beginning of your test, when the test chair announces your name, or in some other way tells you the judges are ready for you, you'll skate over to the judges' box, smile, introduce yourself (you should also thank them for coming), let them know what test you are taking (it's rare that they get the wrong test sheet, but it happens), and they'll give you any special instructions if there are any. Generally, all they will tell you is to move to your starting position and before beginning each move, look at them to make sure they are ready for you to do the next one (they'll nod or wave or something). They will also probably ask you if you know the order of the moves - this is a standard question that they ask everyone.

When you finish your test, you skate over to your coach and wait for the judges to dismiss you. They won't dismiss you until they have finished writing all of their comments and are ready to begin the next test, so don't freak out if they keep you waiting for a few minutes. If they need to see an element reskated, they'll call you over and tell you, and then you can go back and talk to your coach before starting. I don't believe you can warm up a MIF element before reskating, although your coach may have you do something right where you're standing while the judges are writing, if your coach thinks you might be asked to reskate something. If you have to reskate a FS element, you can warm that up before doing it "for real".

Also, keep in mind that you can go back to your coach at the conclusion of a move, not between parts of the same move - so you can't go to your coach between the two directions of the forward stroking or between the BO and BI edges, for example, but you can go over after the edges and before the crossovers.

Good luck and remember to skate confidently - it makes a big difference - if you're borderline, it may convince the judges to pass you.

gt20001
07-31-2006, 10:57 PM
Good luck and remember to skate confidently - it makes a big difference - if you're borderline, it may convince the judges to pass you.\

This is what i was telling my coach today i was like maybe they will have mercy on my backward edges since my other elements especially crossovers and stroking are so strong and solid. I hope i can do this. :roll: 8O

Thin-Ice
08-01-2006, 03:51 AM
When I judge tests -- and especially Pre-Pre and Pre-Bronze since they are Pass/Retry -- I always ask myself "Is this skater ready to start working on the next test level?". If overall, the skater looks ready to start working on it, I try to find a way to pass the test... with lots of comments on what needs work.. since those elements are the basis for something on the next test or the test after that. I also try to put some comments on what is above my expectation level.

It's much easier to do that on the Pre-Pre and PB tests, since there are no actual marks given.. just P/R.

Obviously that's not always possible if an element is not completed and there are other problems. But overall, if PB or Pre-Pre skaters complete all the elements without falling and basically look like they know what they are doing, I pass them. That's one reason the suggestion to look confident helps. And remember, if you do MOST of the BI edges ok.. and one goes a little wide or short or flat... it's ok... it's the overall element.. not each individual lobe. Oh, and if you forget the element that comes next, don't be shy about telling the judges.. they can also tell you what comes next on their test sheets.

And they know this is probably your first test! They're not expecting amazing edges and a perfect waltz 8. I've found some skaters (and some judging panels) do better if the skater introduces him/herself, says "Yes, I'm ready to take my Pre-Bronze Moves test" and then admits "But I have to say I'm really nervous." I've only seen one judge who didn't give an encouraging smile at that point.

I don't know if that will work as well when you are taking your Novice Moves test! But you don't have to worry about THAT just yet. Good luck!

slusher
08-01-2006, 09:43 AM
I was wondering if anyone on here could possibly give me some advice i am scheduled to take my pre bronze moves and freeskate test on tuesday. It is my first time trying this test. I have never ever tested before

Good luck on your test today!!

gt20001
08-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Good luck on your test today!!

Thanks for the good luck i am going to need it. I ran through the test yesterday and did ok i am just worried about doing ok under pressure. I thought those back edges looked dreadfull but coach said they werent that bad. And of course yesterday i couldnt land a salcow for the life of me and that is usually one of my good jumps. I was going to do salcow and waltz jump. I dont feel i can do any of my half jumps becuase landing them has become hard because i am using the hinged skates and mine are faulty i think they are creasing in the upper cuff on my left skate only which makes landing my half jumps real sturdy somewhat difficult because i dont seem to have the support i need. All my singles land fine though.

Debbie S
08-01-2006, 12:20 PM
I dont feel i can do any of my half jumps becuase landing them has become hard because i am using the hinged skates and mine are faulty i think they are creasing in the upper cuff on my left skate only which makes landing my half jumps real sturdy somewhat difficult because i dont seem to have the support i need. All my singles land fine though.Well, if you don't have support for half jumps, you probably don't have support for singles, but I suspect that's not the problem. I don't know how tall/heavy you are (and you don't have to respond - lol!) but there's no reason someone at your level should be in those hinged skates. Yes, they bend more than traditional skates, but they are very stiff and are designed for elite skaters (like Alissa Czisny). I know of one girl at my rink (she's 12) who uses those but she is Prelim, working on axels and doubles, and I also think she had significant issues with stock boots, so the hinged boots were the only option. I know adults need a little bit more support than kids at the same level, but I don't think an adult needs them to learn singles. The adults I know that use them are working on axels and doubles and have been skating for quite some time.

gt20001
08-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Well, if you don't have support for half jumps, you probably don't have support for singles, but I suspect that's not the problem. I don't know how tall/heavy you are (and you don't have to respond - lol!) but there's no reason someone at your level should be in those hinged skates. Yes, they bend more than traditional skates, but they are very stiff and are designed for elite skaters (like Alissa Czisny). I know of one girl at my rink (she's 12) who uses those but she is Prelim, working on axels and doubles, and I also think she had significant issues with stock boots, so the hinged boots were the only option. I know adults need a little bit more support than kids at the same level, but I don't think an adult needs them to learn singles. The adults I know that use them are working on axels and doubles and have been skating for quite some time.

Actually i was in traditional skates initially and was being injured by the boots all the time. I was having so many problems and these skates have fixed my problems. They are broken in now and they feel absolutely wonderful. But those skates are not supposed to crease on the upper cuff and i have an inch deep crease on both sides of my left skate. I dont find them stiffer they bend in the ankle if they were stiffer in the lower boot ie foot part then it didnt take me more than a month to get them to feel great there. I was having problems with my knees and lower legs in the other skates that is what promted me to get these ever since getting them the problems have disappeared and my toe pick scratching disappeared immediately and i can hold my edges so much better every thing improved so much and all the pain subsided. The only skate that is creasing is the left skate i land on my right foot there for single jumps arent affected but half jumps land on the left toe pick so they are.

gt20001
08-01-2006, 06:26 PM
I PASSED BOTH TESTS!!!!!! I did very well on my tests on my stroking almost all judges said good flow and extension and strength on both directions, on my crossovers all said they were solid with good flow and large circles on both directions, on my edges they said forward outside and inside were good with even lobes, back outsides good with even lobes, back inside wobbly not on edge, and shaky, on my waltz 8 they said good but 1 touch down early and one off balance but good edges, My three turn pattern some said good others said a little toe scratchy on some 3 turns. On my freeskate test they said the jumps were good with good height i did 1/2 flip and waltz, my 1 foot spin they said 3 revolutions good but with some travel, 2 foot spin they said well centered and 4 revolutions, the crossovers they said were good and they said the spiral look nice. I am so happy i passed it the first time with no reskates. Just thought i would share how i did. Thanks for the help.

renatele
08-01-2006, 07:18 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

slusher
08-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Congratulations!!:bow:

Scarlett
08-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Congratulations!!!

I am planning to test pre-bronze myself sometime in the next millenium. Any advice or further details would be great? How was the experience? What did you wear? How long had you been skating before you took the test? What jumps and spins do you have in your arsenal. I'm really nervous about the whole thing and the more information I have the better.

Thanks

And yes I am planning on watching a session before I test. I'm just a nervous nelly about all this.

Terri C
08-01-2006, 08:27 PM
Congratulations!!! Welcome to the Pre- Bronze Peanut Gallery!! :)

jazzpants
08-01-2006, 08:38 PM
WHOO HOO, gt20001!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

gt20001
08-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Congratulations!!!

I am planning to test pre-bronze myself sometime in the next millenium. Any advice or further details would be great? How was the experience? What did you wear? How long had you been skating before you took the test? What jumps and spins do you have in your arsenal. I'm really nervous about the whole thing and the more information I have the better.

Thanks

And yes I am planning on watching a session before I test. I'm just a nervous nelly about all this.

I actually found it easier than competing i know that some people prefer competing i thought it would be scary having to go up to the judges before the test but i think it actually helped me to feel more relaxed. I wasnt all shaky while doing the test. I have been skating 8 months and i am doing up to the loop but i only did the half flip and waltz jump for the test and i have up to my backspin in spins. I have never seen a session before today so that did make it scary it would probalby help you if you do go watch a session i wished i had. Ask your coach lots of questions thats what i did to help prepare and run through it in test format prior to testing.

Debbie S
08-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Congratulations!:D

Thin-Ice
08-02-2006, 03:22 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Now you're halfway to being eligible to compete at Adult Nationals! Hurray!

Mrs Redboots
08-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Many congratulations! Lovely feeling, isn't it......!:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Isk8NYC
08-02-2006, 08:31 AM
What a wonderful achievement - we're very proud of you!