View Full Version : The perfect class? or instructor?

WannabeS8r
07-30-2006, 12:23 PM
I really really want to take classes or have a private coach starting this September!! But I can't deside whether to take some lessons with a private instructor first or start the Basic classes? Which "method" do you think is better for a skater with a 3-4 month experience on ice? (just incase you are wondering I can already do backward and forward crossovers, two foot spin, waltz jump, front and back arabesque spirals, turns/step sequence, etc)

thanx so much!

DallasSkater
07-30-2006, 04:31 PM
I started in learn to skate program...then added private coaching while still taking classes. The classes usually come with some practice sessions included for the semester in my area. This makes it a very attractive option for me as I get to skate any and all public sessions for free! I also pay for freestyle times and always take my private lesson during a non crowded freestyle hour. That way I can maximize the private time with the coach. It gives me two times per week with an instructor present to advance the skills.

I think it is important to have the instruction to learn good technique right from the start. A lot of self taught people have to unlearn bad habits. The choice depends on your budget of finances and time. Group classes are affordable, a great way to meet like minded folks, and a great way to get the basics. The individual coaching is more expensive but really gives opportunity to correct your individual form and advance your abilities quickly.

Good luck as you make your decision!

ouijaouija
07-30-2006, 06:27 PM
my one-on-one man i have only had 4 lessons, this man doesn't pay attention to me sometimes, always looking around, sometimes telling me to do somehting without even looking at me do it!

group option isn't available until it gets busy

Chico
07-30-2006, 10:32 PM
I never took group lessons but I've worked with several private coaches over the years. I've also watched and listened to my fair share. I think the best coach is what works for you and has sound skills as a teacher. My personal preferance is someone who pushes me as a skater, listens and talks to me, is reliable, knows my good as well as bad points and works with both, is open to my goals as well as theirs as a skater and understands that not everyone is going to learn the same way. Teaching to me and not at me is a biggie. Oh, I like hearing all the fixes but occasionally find something that I'm doing that is right. Think about what you want and need when looking for that coach.

Chico

beachbabe
07-30-2006, 11:35 PM
to make sure you havn't missed any elements- you should take the LTS program and they will move you up accordingly.

You'll know ehn you need to go on to privates- because you'll find that you're just not getting something and need more attention to sort it out.

NickiT
07-31-2006, 02:35 AM
I think it's always good to take a learn to skate class to start with, then progress to private lessons once you have some experience of the basics and have had a chance to see a number of different coaches at work.

Nicki

*lou*
07-31-2006, 03:37 AM
I started in group lessons and then chose as my private coach one of the instructors who I got on with really well and whose teaching style suits me. Different people want different things from their coaches, and group lessons are a great way to find out about the coaches at your rink and an economic way to learn the basics. For me, I agree totally with what Chico wants out of a coach, so that is a good checklist to use.

WannabeS8r
08-04-2006, 12:31 PM
thanks for all the advice! I might be doing the Basic classes first..:yum:

doubletoe
08-04-2006, 12:55 PM
to make sure you havn't missed any elements- you should take the LTS program and they will move you up accordingly.

You'll know ehn you need to go on to privates- because you'll find that you're just not getting something and need more attention to sort it out.

Yep, that's what I did and it worked for me! Privates are so much more expensive that it's best to do group lessons as long as you are still learning from them each week. Once you are doing spins and jumps, you might want to start taking one private lesson each week to work on those elements you aren't able to work on enough in class.