View Full Version : PADS vs VANITY!

DallasSkater
07-29-2006, 08:24 AM
I experienced several falls during my lesson yesterday. OUCH! I am very sore this morning and now have a group class and 2 practice sessions today. Wondering what brand/style of butt, hip or other pads you folks might recommend. I think there are more falls predicted for my future since starting freestyle jumping and spins. I typically wear athletic pants rather than a practice skating dress and tights. I also already anticipate by wearing wrist guards and knee pads....

Any recommendations of pads for use under athletic pants? I am willing to forego vanity for some comfort!

ouijaouija
07-29-2006, 12:37 PM
i bought some knee pads, the ones you use for weight lifting to support your knnes. They have defintely prevented a lot of bruises, but actual hard falls still obsorb int he knee so I sitll get pain when I fall on my right knee, just no bruises.

montanarose
07-29-2006, 01:58 PM
I swear by the Skating Safe knee and hip pads (too bad I wasn't wearing the knee pads on my recent trip to London :lol: ). They are very thin, mold easily to your contours and are, if not invisible, at least less obtrusive than most padding. And because they are so thin they can easily be worn against the skin under tights, or between two layers of tights (my preference).

The only drawback is that they are VERY expensive . . . it's been a few years since I ordered mine but I think the kneepads were something like $30 US each. OTOH, they should last forever. You can check them out at www.skatingsafe.com.

Ellen

jazzpants
07-29-2006, 09:38 PM
I second the SkatingSafe pad recommendation.

I have no VANITY!!! Unfortunately I have to forgo the pads b/c my COACHES doesn't allow me to wear knee pads or any pads except for special circumstances (like if I was practicing sliding on the knee, for instance.) If secondary coach sees knee pads on my knees, she would say "Down with the pads [to my ankles], Jazzpants! NOW!!! :evil: " 8O 8O 8O

Sk8pdx
07-29-2006, 10:55 PM
It is good that you are falling. My coach tells me I don't fall enough because I am too cautious. That is why it is taking me forever to learn the loop. I have never got in the habit of using knee pads or elbow pads. I did not want to have to rely on them come competition time. I even was sensitive when I did not skate with gloves the first time. Gloves are my security blanket. I did wear knee pads under my leggings for a brief time when I was learning waltz jump, salchow, and toe-loop jumps to begin with. That was before I could control balance though and I felt less steady. This lasted about 4 months. As you progress and learn to compensate in practice for jumps and spins, and as your balance on 1/8 inch blades improves (plus if you can get the rest of your body to agree with your brain that it is OK to do a 2 foot blurr spin :lol: he he he) eventually, you will rely less on your pads and just go with it. All that extra gear is for Hockey players in my opinion. When I learn the Axel jump later on down the line, I will likely return to using knee pads and hip pads again. Use it temporarily, but don't rely on it so much. If you think you are going to fall, then you will. (and from your background you know that for a fact.) Think about spinning, or waltz jumping -- not falling. I choose to deal with the consequences later. :) That is why my Chiropractor loves me and epsom salt has become my best friend. Now, ... if I would just stop breaking my falls with my hands down, my wrists would not hurt as much. :?? Practicing falling will help ease your mind too. It is all mind over matter. Practice shoot-the-ducks and try and get real low and fall on purpose. It looks nerdy at first but during a public session in the back corner of your world, who cares. When I practice falling, there is no vanity there either. :P

DallasSkater
07-30-2006, 08:52 AM
Ouijaouija: I have only fallen down on a knee one time. That was all it took to decide I needed knee pads. giggle.

Montanarose...thanks for website...I think I will have to eventually break down and wear the tights so I can use something like that. They are so thin!

Jazz: Too funny that your coaches will "de-pad" you! My coach said she does recommend them for me since I am only beginning freestyle. I know I will have to break the habit of them later. In 7 months, I had only come down hard 3 times until recently....Friday I came down 4 times in one session! I feel like I have been a car accident or something...lol.

Sk8pdx: I promise to not get too use to them. I think for now it will allow me to have better practice sessions. Since I can only really practice on weekends, a serious crash on Friday effects what is left for me on the following two days.

I skated with sk8pdx this weekend...she can attest to the fact that my wrist guards are actually kinda cute! giggle.

Sk8pdx
07-30-2006, 09:40 PM
I know I will have to break the habit of them later. In 7 months, I had only come down hard 3 times until recently....Friday I came down 4 times in one session! I feel like I have been a car accident or something...lol.

Sk8pdx: I promise to not get too use to them. I think for now it will allow me to have better practice sessions. Since I can only really practice on weekends, a serious crash on Friday effects what is left for me on the following two days.

I skated with sk8pdx this weekend...she can attest to the fact that my wrist guards are actually kinda cute! giggle.

Yeah, I should have used them when I fell on my toe loop. I h:evil:te that jump! I have such a bad habit of breaking falls with my hands down too.