View Full Version : Some news - I'm pregnant!

NaomiBeth1
07-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that I'll be taking a break from skating in a few weeks. I do plan on making my annual trip up to Lake Placid for adult week and plan to skate minimally at the latter part of the week.

Then, I plan to take it easy until my Valentine's Baby is born!

I will miss seeing everyone for awhile.

-Naomi

flo
07-28-2006, 12:01 PM
congrats!!!!!!!:D

phoenix
07-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Congratulations!! :)

Debbie S
07-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Congratulations, Naomi! We'll miss you at HC and NYI, but look forward to your return. :D

Raye
07-28-2006, 12:43 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!! HOW AWESOME FOR YOU!!:bow: :bow: :bow:

sue123
07-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Congratulations!!!

Isk8NYC
07-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Wonderful news! Take good care of yourselves.

jazzpants
07-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Congratulations, Naomi!!! :D

sexyskates
07-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Hey Naomi!
Wow! Congratulations!

Easton-Skater
07-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Congrats! Although, if you're preggy, better not do strenuous stuff like skating or anything. Whatever the docs say about being ok to do strenuous stuff, don't believe em!

flippet
07-28-2006, 07:31 PM
You can do anything that you've been doing. Not a good idea to *start* skating while pregnant, if you've never done it before (or anything else that you're not used to), but if it wasn't too strenuous before, it won't be now.

Congratulations! :)

AndreaUK
07-29-2006, 06:27 AM
Hiya and congratulations on the pregnancy.

Please be careful if you intend to carry on skating during pregnancy. The reasons being are more for your concern rather than that of the baby.

When you are pregnant your body produces much higher levels of progesterone and this is present from early on. This hormone is released in larger levels becuase your body will have to change and adapt to the pregnancy in order to soften smooth muscle and help with the elasticity of your cardio vascular system. You will be carrying extra amounts of blood plus your muscles will have to become more elastic in order to accomodate the expanding uterus. Of course you need the extra play in your muscles and your bones will become softer so that you will be able to deliver your baby thus making the pelivs slightly wider.

All of your body systems will be affected with the pregnancy. Most of all you will notice that its easier to sprain and strain muscles and ligaments so what you were able to do before you will probably strain much easier (due to progesterone).
Your body chemistry will have also altered so you will deffinately become more tired. As your uterus rises above the symphysis pubis (pubic bone) you will find that your centre of gravity will have changed also, so the balance that you had before will also be altered.

Im not intending to put you off skating during your pregnancy but you will probably find that most health professionals would reccommend that you do something thats less impact on your joints and ligaments such as aqua arobics/natal or gentle swimming that are especially designed for pregnancy.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck with it and many congratulations on the pregnancy.

Andrea xx

LilJen
07-29-2006, 10:49 AM
Congratulations! Enjoy the journey! (And I"m with Andrea--be very cautious while skating during pregnancy--ligament issues, balance issues [due to wacky hormones], and obviously falling later on can be dangerous. Just use common sense and don't push yourself too much.)

quarkiki2
07-31-2006, 08:31 AM
Many congratulations! Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy!

As one who skated through her sixth month of pregnancy, I can attest that, though you body does change, if you are comfortable and not prone to falling, you can skate comfortably out there. In fact, I never skated better than when I was pregnant -- I FINALLY figured out where my weight was supposed to be on the blade -- I used to skate too far forward and the re-distribution of my body weight put me further back on the blade. I managed to keep that learned when I got back out there post-partum. I did stop all work on spins and jumps and removed myself from the Synchro team because they move so much faster than I do alone and have far more momentum than I was comfortable with when skating for two. I assisted our coach for months 4-6 and literally got off the ice one the first day of my seventh month.

I stopped stretching entirely during the pregnancy and didn't do anything resembling a lunge as I'm normally quite flexible through the hips and didn't want to become MORE so, LOL!

NickiT
07-31-2006, 11:12 AM
Huge congratulations to you.

As for whether to skate or not while pregnant, I guess that's really down to you and how you feel.

When I was pregnant my coach didn't want to carry on teaching me and advised me to stop skating while pregnant. I actually felt very poorly to start with when I was pregnant the first time around so skating was the last thing I wanted to do anyway. I actually suffered a threatened miscarriage early on and then went into premature labour with a placental abruption so it was right for me not to skate.

Second pregnancy and I was treated as a high-risk case. Given that I wasn't even allowed to swim, skating was totally off limits for me. However despite taking all the precautions and taking really good care of myself I still went into labour and delivered 10 weeks early.

Of course everyone is different, but skating while pregnant wasn't for me. Even in those really early weeks before the pregnancy was confirmed, I had this overwhelming urge to protect my belly and found it quite surprising just how much that maternal instinct took over!

Nicki

NaomiBeth1
08-01-2006, 07:50 AM
Thanks for everyone's feedback. My husband and I are very exciting and so far it's been a very uneventful pregnancy. I'm low risk and for the most part have felt fine.

Some might be critical of me as i'm still skating, albeit cautiously. Husband and doctor are fine with it. When I told my doctor about the skating, her response on a 95 degree day was "You're doing what?!" She was more mystified that people actually ice skate in 95 degree heat, and couldn't even believe there were places in summer to ice skate. The sport itself, she's actually fine with!

I still have complete balance and am not showing yet, and plan to skate for only one more month (until 16 wks pregnant). As a high-level silver skater, I am not concerned about falling until by balance goes. My issue right now is more tiredness than anything.

Isk8NYC
08-01-2006, 09:23 AM
People have opinions based on their own experiences or situations. Don't take it personally that people have voiced concern, it's to be expected. Get used to it, in fact: once you start showing, you'll be BARRAGED with well-meant advice from everyone! Just smile and say thank you. If they're persistant, write it down and throw away the paper later. Just act grateful, so they'll give it a rest. This is the time for passivity - don't let them get you upset. Do what's right and recommended for your health and situation.

Here's my well-meant advice:

Toward the last trimester, stock the pantry and freeze some quick-serve meals. That way, you don't have to worry about HAVING to go to the store. Spoken like a woman who made her MIL gasp when she took the newborn to BJ's. ("She hasn't been baptized yet! Horrors!") It was 90 degrees and I needed to walk for exercise after the c-section. So what if I bought a few things that I didn't really need?

Am I mistaken or are you about 4 weeks along? You won't see balance changes for a few weeks, but do keep them in mind.
If it's your first baby, you might not "show" until 6-7 months, but there are real shifts internally.

NaomiBeth1
08-01-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm about 12 weeks along with my first baby

Isk8NYC
08-01-2006, 10:18 AM
No insult intended - I'm calculator-dependent!

Best wishes for an uneventful pregnancy!

LilJen
08-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Best advice is to LISTEN to YOUR body and do what is comfortable for you. ITA with others--you will get so much unsolicited advice once it's obvious you're pregnant. Congrats again!

AndreaUK
08-02-2006, 07:24 AM
I agree basically yeah, if you feel ok and your comfortable then do what you feel is right for youself.

As a health professional in maternity services I personally wouldnt reccommend it after 16 weeks, more so for the balance and progesterone affecting bone and muscle issues but if your otherwise very physically fit and being a sliver skater you know what ur doing, just take care. Try not to wear yourself out because pregnancy will make you more tired.

With my pregnancies I was too ill to even go out the front door, was vomiting from as soon as my eyes opened in the morning until I fell asleep at night, thus losing tons of weight and felt very weak. Its great to know that you are feeling fit and well as many women dont.

Congrats again and dont be too hard on yourself

Andrea xx

Mrs Redboots
08-02-2006, 07:42 AM
I've known people who've skated until they practically gave birth on the ice - no jumping, and not much spinning, but working on edges and turns and crossovers and Moves - and others who gave up at once. It's your body - you must do what you are comfortable with!

Thin-Ice
08-03-2006, 03:41 AM
A friend of mine (who had had several miscarriages) decided THIS time she was going to skate until she didn't feel she could comfortably. She did give up jumping and spinning at about 4 months, but took her Pre-Bronze Dance tests when she was 8 months pregnant. She joked there was NO WAY the judges could write she and her coach/partner should be in a closer hold! (She passed too!)

Easton-Skater
08-03-2006, 03:57 AM
I've known people who've skated until they practically gave birth on the ice - no jumping, and not much spinning, but working on edges and turns and crossovers and Moves - and others who gave up at once. It's your body - you must do what you are comfortable with!

I think that the ones that just keep on skating are the types that don't care about their future kid or about themselves......or just not too bright. Not exactly the same as for those moms that smoke cigarettes throughout their pregnancy, but still crazy to have to put that kind of pressure on their body and the child they're carrying. Although, I do agree.....it's their body, so they should do what they want, but deal with any negative consequences that result from not being careful enough during their pregnancy.

Isk8NYC
08-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Medical needs aside, there are people that believe in "taking it easy" when they're expecting and then there are roadwarrior mamas-to-be that call their boss from the train station to say "Can you pick me up at the train, take me to the hospital, and give my apologies to the client?" It's a badge of honor among some working women here in the US to work until the very last minute.

In terms of skating, no one can give you the correct advice over the internet. We don't know you, your medical situation, your skating situation, or the baby's health situation. There are too many variables to consider.

Everyone who skates "knows someone" who had a unique situation. Let's let NaomiBeth have her own personalized situation.

NaomiBeth: Just do what's best for you and the baby, with the advice of your DH and MD's. Best wishes for an uneventful and healthy pregnancy.

Mrs Redboots
08-04-2006, 06:02 AM
I think that the ones that just keep on skating are the types that don't care about their future kid or about themselves......or just not too bright.Er - I think you probably need to know rather more about people's individual situations before making sweeping statements like that!

Don't forget that, as my brother (at the time working as a shepherd) told me when I was expecting my daughter, "Exercise is good for pregnant things!"

Easton-Skater
08-04-2006, 06:37 AM
Er - I think you probably need to know rather more about people's individual situations before making sweeping statements like that!

Don't forget that, as my brother (at the time working as a shepherd) told me when I was expecting my daughter, "Exercise is good for pregnant things!"

In that same post, I wrote "Although, I do agree.....it's their body, so they should do what they want, but deal with any negative consequences that result from not being careful enough during their pregnancy."

Mrs Redboots
08-04-2006, 09:05 AM
In that same post, I wrote "Although, I do agree.....it's their body, so they should do what they want, but deal with any negative consequences that result from not being careful enough during their pregnancy."There's a difference between "being careful" and not skating at all, though. But then, I think you suffer from the delusion that skating is a more dangerous sport than most....

quarkiki2
08-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Yeah... I was "not careful enough" and the result is a beautiful, healthy baby boy. Actually, a beautiful, healthy BUSY 13 month old.

It's not for everyone, but my doctor and I felt that as long as I was comfortable and careful and cut the intensity of my workouts, being active was just fine. I do know that I was absolutely comfortable the entire pregnancy until about four hours before I delivered -- when I was in active labor. Do I think that me staying active the entire pregnancy was part of why I felt so good? Yep -- even though I'd gone from running to walking to walking really slowly by the end, I needed the exercise to stay fit mentally and physically. And I did work until the day before I delivered -- I work seated at a desk in a non-stressful, enjoyable environment -- waaaay more fun that sitting on the couch watching soap operas and being bored.

I dont want to start an argument, but there's a difference between saying "It's not for me" and saying "You're stupid if you do."

NaomiBeth1
08-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Quarkiki2 and other nice responses - Thank you for the nice and SMART thoughts. Many of the responses I've gotten have been wonderful and nice well wishes. However, I'm still having a hard time believing how obnoxious and opinionated a few of the others have been.

I am happy to continue being active during pregnancy and hope to continue having an easily pregnancy and healthy child as many other pregnant skaters have.

For those critical of what I'm doing - my doctor says it's 100% fine with her and that works for me. God for bid my child is not "normal", it certainly won't have anything to do with skating.

Easton-Skater
08-04-2006, 09:07 PM
There's a difference between "being careful" and not skating at all, though. But then, I think you suffer from the delusion that skating is a more dangerous sport than most....

You thought wrong unfortunately.... unless you're lying or just simply conjured up what you said (which is a bad habit).

You seem to forget that not only you can make mistakes on the slippery and hard ice, but others can also make mistakes on the ice and slam into you, and how things like hairpins etc on the ice can cause even the best skaters to go for unexpected tumbles. No point in having a fall and risk damage to the baby and yourself.

doubletoe
08-04-2006, 10:33 PM
I think that the ones that just keep on skating are the types that don't care about their future kid or about themselves......or just not too bright. Not exactly the same as for those moms that smoke cigarettes throughout their pregnancy, but still crazy to have to put that kind of pressure on their body and the child they're carrying. Although, I do agree.....it's their body, so they should do what they want, but deal with any negative consequences that result from not being careful enough during their pregnancy.

Wow, what a judgmental comment.

samba
08-05-2006, 01:52 AM
Hi Easton-Skater

Just as a matter of interest, are you a man or a woman?

Easton-Skater
08-05-2006, 02:52 AM
Hi Easton-Skater

Just as a matter of interest, are you a man or a woman?

Hi Samba. I'm a guy.

Easton-Skater
08-05-2006, 03:08 AM
Wow, what a judgmental comment.

True....but put it this way. If you're preggy and skating along and somebody runs into you or you skate on a hairpin lying on the ice, and you take a tumble, and complications result......the husband and his family and your family would probably say 'you fool!', and the doc would say 'oops! oh darn it....that's too bad I guess' (because the doc isn't your family member or anything, so the loss isn't going to affect the doc much at all.....maybe a little bit only, but no real loss to the doc).....or would say 'oh ....unfortunately, I didn't take spills into account when I said it was fine with me'.

Mrs Redboots
08-05-2006, 07:33 AM
You thought wrong unfortunately.... unless you're lying or just simply conjured up what you said (which is a bad habit).There is no need to be offensive, and, in fact, I understand that it is against the T&C of this forum.

You seem to forget that not only you can make mistakes on the slippery and hard ice, but others can also make mistakes on the ice and slam into you, and how things like hairpins etc on the ice can cause even the best skaters to go for unexpected tumbles. No point in having a fall and risk damage to the baby and yourself.

My husband has a really rather nasty graze on his knee. This was caused by his tripping and falling on the pavement (sidewalk). Are you, perhaps, suggesting that a pregnant woman should stay in bed for nine months lest she, too, trip and fall over something on her bedroom floor? That would be a sure and certain way of giving birth to an unhealthy baby.

Easton-Skater
08-05-2006, 09:08 AM
There is no need to be offensive, and, in fact, I understand that it is against the T&C of this forum.
*snip*

Then please follow your own advice. Recall that you typed....

"I think you suffer from the delusion that skating is a more dangerous sport than most...."

It is against the T and C of this forum, as you pointed out.

Also, please cut the jive about grazes on knees and things like that. The chance of falls on slippery and hard ice is not negligible. A lot of people have fallen due to hair pins and things on the rink floor. They are too small to see sometimes and you just slip when the skate blade crosses over one. For your husband, or whatever, who is not pregnant.....a little graze on the knee. But for a pregnant person, much more damage is at stake from a fall. And sometimes, natural instinct to prevent a fall is to do sudden adjustments on the body/muscles to stay balanced. This sudden adjustment could also be damaging to the mother and baby within. You yourself should know better than to continue skating while being pregnant. And sure....exercise is necessary.....but low risk exercise....not exercise where you could slip over and fall hard on the ice.

crayonskater
08-05-2006, 09:15 AM
I expect most conscientious women know their limits and do not put their baby's health at risk on a whim. And NaomiBeth has cleared her skating with her doctor, who, y'know, might be knowledgeable in these things. Exercise is recommended for pregnant ladies and there's no reason why skating can't be done early on.

With a pregnancy and skating, there's far likely more risk to the mother (flexible joints) than there is to the baby, even taking falls into account. (Pregnant women have tripped! in the past! and it doesn't mean they miscarry or their kids grow third arms or develop Down's syndrome because genetic diseases happen from falls, dontch'a know. :roll: )

Easton-Skater
08-05-2006, 09:42 AM
I think it's time to cut the nonsense about skating while pregnant. There are various sources of information, not just the random link that I pasted below, that recommend pregnant people not to ice-skate. The reasons for not doing it are completely obvious.

http://healthresources.caremark.com/topic/exercisedangers

"Certain sports and activities are not recommended during pregnancy because they are potentially dangerous for you or your baby. You should use your best judgment, of course, but if the activity seems risky, skip it. Definite no-no's include horseback riding, snow- and water-skiing, ice-skating, soccer, and any other sport where you may be inadvertently hit by a ball or other object."

That's all I'm going to add in this thread about this.

Debbie S
08-05-2006, 11:01 AM
That's all I'm going to add in this thread about this.Oh, good! I've heard enough. :twisted: :roll:

Terri C
08-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Oh, but I bet that if men got pregnant, doing sports during preganancy would be a entirely different ballgame (yes then pun is intended!).

jazzpants
08-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Easton-Skater: WHATEVER.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

NaomiBeth1: If your doctor says it's okay to just do gentle stroking and moves, go for it! Use your best judgement! You know what's best for your body!!!

crayonskater
08-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Well, an internet link surely settles it. Because all information on the internet is so trustworthy it should always be regarded over the advice of one's personal physician.

doubletoe
08-05-2006, 11:27 AM
True....but put it this way. If you're preggy and skating along and somebody runs into you or you skate on a hairpin lying on the ice, and you take a tumble, and complications result......the husband and his family and your family would probably say 'you fool!', and the doc would say 'oops! oh darn it....that's too bad I guess' (because the doc isn't your family member or anything, so the loss isn't going to affect the doc much at all.....maybe a little bit only, but no real loss to the doc).....or would say 'oh ....unfortunately, I didn't take spills into account when I said it was fine with me'.

I think you have just made a very good point for all pregnant women staying out of automobiles for 9 months. In fact, the number of bad falls I have had on the ice (caused by me or someone else) are about the same as the number of car accidents I have been in during the same period: about one every 2-3 years. And none of these falls has been onto the front of my body, a fall that rarely happens and usually only happens when first learning forward spirals. I don't know how bad a fall it takes to cause a miscarriage or damage a fetus --a good thing to ask the doctor--but that's exactly what amniotic fluid is for, and why our species is still thriving.
I think the key is to only practice things you are used to practicing, not to start working on anything brand new. If you practice things you are used to doing, your body has already figured out how to do a controlled, low impact fall when you make a mistake. Not true of new jumps or edgework. And as for freak accidents, well, might as well stop riding in cars.

Mrs Redboots
08-05-2006, 01:36 PM
And as for freak accidents, well, might as well stop riding in cars.Or even getting out of bed. Eastonskater has made it quite clear, whatever he says, that he considers skating a dangerous sport - well, nobody is asking him to do it! But getting out of bed in the morning is dangerous.....

crayonskater
08-05-2006, 02:54 PM
*snip*

I think the key is to only practice things you are used to practicing, not to start working on anything brand new. If you practice things you are used to doing, your body has already figured out how to do a controlled, low impact fall when you make a mistake. Not true of new jumps or edgework. And as for freak accidents, well, might as well stop riding in cars.

This accords with the general advice my friend who is doing his residency in OB/GYN and pediatrics would give. During pregnancy it is fine to exercise your normal routine, modifying it as it becomes more difficult or uncomfortable, but pregnancy is *not* a time to start anything new that's particularly challenging. It's not the time to begin a powerlifting regimen or to begin training for a marathon, or to start working on your throw-double axel. But if you're already a weightlifter, continuing to train under supervision won't hurt. If you're already a marathoner, running a few miles a day won't shock your system.

(And yes, contra Easton-skater, the doctor thinks about slipping on ice and falling.)

It *used* to be conventional wisdom that a woman shouldn't do anything strenuous at all while pregnant, but that's no longer true! Pregnancy wouldn't be a time to begin learning to skate (or to mountain climb, or run marathons), but it's surely not that risky for an experienced skater practicing familiar moves, especially in the first trimester before most of the balance issues set in. It's nowhere near smoking or binge drinking in terms of risks.

What should drive it is the mother's comfort level, not misogynistic worries that someone's husband would say 'you're a fool!'

It's not like people miscarry when they sneeze.

Easton-Skater
08-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Well, an internet link surely settles it. Because all information on the internet is so trustworthy it should always be regarded over the advice of one's personal physician.

The same will be said about information from just ONE personal physician. But you already knew that I mentioned VARIOUS SOURCES (which doesn't necessarily mean from the internet), but you chose to ignore that part.

Isk8NYC
08-05-2006, 07:33 PM
This thread is done,
We've all had our say,
Time to move on,
To another thread today!

All the best for a healthy delivery, NaomiBeth.