View Full Version : boots for juniors and adults

mimi
07-27-2006, 01:06 PM
I am wondering if you know how the same boots are different between junior boots and adult boots. I have very small feet. Junior boots actually can fit my feet. My curents boots are for adults. But I am interested in buying junior boots next if the quality of junior boots is same as that of adult boots because junior boots are cheaper than adult boots.

Debbie S
07-27-2006, 01:48 PM
It depends on your height and weight, but if you are an adult, it's generally not a good idea to skate in kids' skates. Most kids' skates that I've seen have a smaller heel, and a ankle that is cut lower (in one example, the kid ankle had 3 hooks and adult had 4). Even though your feet are small (so are mine), you still need a boot that can support an adult's height and weight. A smaller heel is less likely to be able to handle the impact of an adult's jumps, so the boot could break down a lot faster (or possibly just break). A lower ankle won't give you the ankle support you need and you'd be more likely to twist your ankle or get some other type of sprain.

The stiffness of a boot is an important part of the support, but so is the cut and size. You didn't say what your skill level is, but if you want skates for anything other than recreational skating, I would recommend you get adult boots.

mimi
07-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Thank you so much. I am very small (both hight and weight) but is bigger than small kids:lol: I am now practicing single jumps. I am planning to buy new skates when I move to double jumps.

froggy
07-27-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm 5 2" with weight of 96 pounds and wear a riedell junior boot size 3 1/2 there are only 3 hooks on it not the usual 4 seen on adult skates. i'm doing single jumps and i find the boot supportive. it would not make sense to me to purchase a boot size 4 which would be adult...it would be too big.

if your foot is small and a junior size is what you need buy the junior, in terms of support when you begin working on doubles and such at that time you can buy a junior boot with more support. anyhow be happy your foot is small...the junior boot is cheaper than the adult version! :lol:

mimi
07-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Hi Froggy, I am actually shorter and lighter than you:!: I am now using Riedell size 4 (adult). I thought Riedell adult size 4 was same as Riedell junior size 3 (not 3.5). But I may be wrong. I do not know how I will feel with only 3 hooks... I am happy with my current boots with 4 hooks. I need to check more about junior boots...

froggy
07-27-2006, 08:51 PM
my understanding of riedell is that up to a size 3.5 is juniors and then 4 and up is womens. at least that is how it is listed on thier website and how it was told to me at the pro-shop where i bought my boot. mimi what size shoe do you normally wear off ice? i usually wear a 5.5

mimi
07-28-2006, 06:37 AM
My off ice shoe size is 5.
See http://www.skates.com/Fitting_Riedell_skates_and_size_charts_s/136.htm
Based on the charts on the web,
kids 3 = ladies 4 and kids 3.5 = ladies 4.5.
Does this sound correct?

Debbie S
07-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Based on the charts on the web,
kids 3 = ladies 4 and kids 3.5 = ladies 4.5.
Does this sound correct?Um, I'm pretty sure they are sized to the same scale - so a kid's 3 is a ladies 3, the size is just called a kid's size b/c it's smaller. It's just like shoe sizing - once you get up to 5, shoes are then called "ladies" (which makes them more expensive - unfortunately for the parents of kids with big feet).

I wear a 5 1/2, and I am a size 4 in most stock boots. However, Riedells are cut big, so in those I was a 3 1/2, which would have meant getting a kid's size, which I didn't due to the issues I mentioned in my post above. The price difference is only $10, IIRC.

Unless things have changed, I believe with higher-level Riedell boots, the lowest adult size is 3 instead of 4. I think Gold Stars are the first boot where that happens. If you are doing doubles, that is a boot you might want to look into. Right now, I'd say that based on what you are working on, they are probably too stiff and heavy.

If Riedells fit you well, you may want to look at Harlicks - I've heard the cut is similar and their adult boots may be available in smaller sizes.

icedancer2
07-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Why not call the boot fitter or manufacturer and ask them? Maybe in a "kid's size" you would just need a stronger boot (the next level of boot). I don't see what the big problem is, really.