View Full Version : Sleeping Feet

skating_babe11
07-26-2006, 05:52 PM
This past winter my feet have been falling asleep in my skates everyonce and a while. I havent been tieing my skates any different so i dont think it has to do with them being to tight. But i just cant figure out whats wrong and its a bugger trying to skate with one foot asleep!

Has anyone ever had this happen and if so how did you fix it?

Thanks

doubletoe
07-26-2006, 07:09 PM
In the wintertime, you say? If it's wintertime, when your feet fall asleep, it could be that your skates have been in a cold place and that caused them to stiffen up, cutting off your circulation a little. Tie your skates fairly tight in the toes and ankles, but a little looser in the instep/arch area in the middle of your foot and that should help.

lovepairs
07-26-2006, 07:24 PM
When it's too cold, I can't feel my feet. We skate at one rink that is colder than a meat freezer...towards the end of our lesson my feet become numb.

skating_babe11
07-26-2006, 08:06 PM
OK thanks ill try that. Ill have to find out if it is the winter coldness that is doing it to. I dont start skating for another 3 week and it should be nice and hot out when I skate so we'll see if it is the cold weather.

xofivebyfive
07-26-2006, 11:46 PM
I've been having the same issue kinda.. but I think it's because I clench my toes when I'm doing certain things that I'm trying to hard to do.

Easton-Skater
07-27-2006, 01:02 AM
yah....as somebody mentioned. Try lace the toes part reasonably tightly, and the ankles part. But the portions between the ball of the foot and ahead of the ankle can be just moderately tight....not too tight.

Another thing is, I find that when you put on the skates and then go onto the ice, the warmth in the boot seems to make the foot expand a bit for some period of time. And you get a real tight and uncomfortable feeling. Then after a longer time, maybe due to the low temperature of the rink and ice, and as the boot temperature cools, the feet shrink a bit again and feels better. Not sure if this is what really happens, but I kind of feel this.

Anyway, sleeping foot obviously means not adequate blood circulation in the foot, so probably good idea to back the tightness off a bit in that area.

samba
07-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Could be Raynards Syndrome, which is a circulatory problem usually triggered by cold, I get it in my fingers. My doctor says all you can do is stay warm :lol:

doubletoe
07-27-2006, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=Easton-Skater] Another thing is, I find that when you put on the skates and then go onto the ice, the warmth in the boot seems to make the foot expand a bit for some period of time. And you get a real tight and uncomfortable feeling. Then after a longer time, maybe due to the low temperature of the rink and ice, and as the boot temperature cools, the feet shrink a bit again and feels better. Not sure if this is what really happens, but I kind of feel this.
[QUOTE]

Yes, usually if it's just a difference between the temperature of your boots and the temperature of your feet, it gets better after you've skated for awhile. Although I think it's actually that your boots are cold, your feet are warm, and then your feeet heat up the boots and make the leather expand as you skate. :)

skatingdoris
07-27-2006, 03:14 PM
This used to happen to me all the time because I have bad circulation, both my fingers and toes go white and numb and I know how hard it is to do anything on ice when you can't feel your toes!!

I have found that doing a mixture of the following stops it and keeps my feet toasty :) .
1) do a good warm up before you get on the ice, it gets the blood moving round your body.

2) I put hot gel pads in my skates for a while to warm them up before putting them on.

3) wearing OTB tights and leg warmers, the extra layer makes a surprising difference.

hope some of this helps you

skating_babe11
07-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks everyone.
I hope that just tieing them a little osing in the ball of the foot area will do it. If not i will research some circulation issues on the net.

Easton-Skater
07-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Yes, usually if it's just a difference between the temperature of your boots and the temperature of your feet, it gets better after you've skated for awhile. Although I think it's actually that your boots are cold, your feet are warm, and then your feeet heat up the boots and make the leather expand as you skate. :)

I think you're right about that. I was always noticing that kind of feeling. Like once I put on the skates, and then skate hard for a lap or two, then start feeling the problems of the skate being real tight on the feet, whereas when I first put them on they felt just fine. Then after a much longer time, they feel just fine. Heating the boots up to make them expand sounds accurate.

samba
07-28-2006, 12:03 AM
If the loos/John whatever you call it, at your rink has a warm air hand dryer, try holding your boots under that for a while.