View Full Version : Checked out the 'skate care' thread but......

sk8_4fun
07-26-2006, 04:00 AM
I checked out the 'skate care' thread but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I have just bought a brand new pair of Gam boots with leather soles. I've had the no maintainance(sp) plastic ones, but these are the first good quality ones I've had and i have no idea how to look after them!:?: Is there some kind of oil or treatment I need to apply? and how often should I do them?

NickiT
07-26-2006, 04:53 AM
I've had my Gam boots for six years now and have never treated the leather sole or heel part. As long as you ensure they are totally dry after use, then they should be fine. All I do is clean the white leather, apply white sports polish and wash the laces once in a while.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
07-26-2006, 07:44 AM
I like to polish our boots with Renapur leather balsam (http://www.renapur.com/balsam.htm) every so often, and normally before a competition - I do apply it to the soles as well, but don't think it's totally necessary to do so. As Nicki says, make sure everything is totally dry after use, store the blades in towelling-lined soakers, and, in an ideal world, each boot in a separate fabric bag inside your skate bag.

sue123
07-26-2006, 09:19 AM
I pput SnoSeal on the leather sole before I started skating. It's supposd to make the soles and heel waterproof, and prevent it from rotting. Although I didn't do it on the skates I had before, and never had a problem, but better safe than sorry.

BTW, when you say soles, do you mean the part that the blade is attached to, or the insert that is inside the boot? It it's the latter, than I think you can disregard the Sno Seal advice.

beachbabe
07-26-2006, 04:24 PM
if you are talkign about the soles having varnish on them- no you don't need to do anything as it fully protects the sole.

As for the boot itself- i reccomend skate tape to protect from both scratches and minor scuffs. Don't bother with polish, it doesnt protect from nicks by your blades.

Mrs Redboots
07-27-2006, 08:24 AM
As for the boot itself- i reccomend skate tape to protect from both scratches and minor scuffs. Don't bother with polish, it doesnt protect from nicks by your blades.I beg to differ - even though polish doesn't protect the leather from nicks (and skate tape starts to show after a time), it does nourish and feed the leather, and all leather shoes and boots should be polished regularly (as well as skates!) to prolong their lives and so on.

Mercedeslove
07-27-2006, 02:53 PM
I like to polish our boots with Renapur leather balsam (http://www.renapur.com/balsam.htm) every so often, and normally before a competition - I do apply it to the soles as well, but don't think it's totally necessary to do so. As Nicki says, make sure everything is totally dry after use, store the blades in towelling-lined soakers, and, in an ideal world, each boot in a separate fabric bag inside your skate bag.

Do you know of a site that possibly sells this stuff in the US?

sk8_4fun
07-27-2006, 03:17 PM
thanks guys, for all your feedback. much appreciated:) and for the link too mrs RB!