View Full Version : Opinions please - foot problem is boot?

Sonic
07-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Hi folks

Well as some of you may have noticed, I've been whinging for the past month or so about my mystery foot problem...which incidentally flared up again today and stopped me skating. :cry:

Anyway, it has (finally!:frus:) occurred to me that the cause might be something really obvious.

I got my boots when I was 14 (now 32). They've had about 2 and a half years' wear in total so are still quite sturdy - BUT, they are very tight.

Now I know skating boots are supposed to be tight, but I can only just get into them and my baby toes are almost squished.

What do you guys think?

S xxx (who feels totally stoooopid posting this!):frus: :roll:

skating_babe11
07-25-2006, 05:58 PM
I dont think you want them so tight that they are squishing your foot. But you dont want them lose because them your heel can lift causing you to have blisters.

By the sounds of it i think they are to tight for you.

Hopefully your feet stop to hurt.

luna_skater
07-25-2006, 06:31 PM
You definitely want your boots snug, but certainly not painful! Even if the size of your foot hasn't changed much over the years, the shape might have. My advice is to take the boots to your nearest skate shop and have someone there take a look to see how they are fitting. You might be able to get them stretched out as a solution.

doubletoe
07-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Your toes should not be squished. Your feet have probably grown a bit, or at least gotten wider. Get fitted by a professional and get some new ones. :)

TashaKat
07-25-2006, 11:13 PM
Definitely sound too small. Could also be the cause of your problems. I almost wrecked my feet in boots that weren't quite the right fit and ended up breaking a blood vessel in my right foot in one pair 8O Not to mention the assorted bumps and lumps that I acquired along the way. Correctly fitting (Custom Harlick) boots sorted that out!

I learned the hard way that it's sometimes worth spending a little more to get a boot that actually fits you! I'd spent loadsamoney on good but not quite fitting boots, a false economy in the end!

beachbabe
07-25-2006, 11:32 PM
its definately smart to change your boots at least every 5 years even if you hardly skate...people's feet change.

It does sound a bit too tight, but when you get new boots make sure you don't over-compensate. The boots should be snug- preferably to a point that you cant stand in them for more than a few minutes. Get measured properly by an approved dealer for the boot brand you are getting if possible and if it doesn't fit dont try to amke it work- keep replacing untill the fit is perfect, your feet will thank you.

Mrs Redboots
07-26-2006, 07:28 AM
Do you know where to go to get fitted, Sonic - it does sound like you need a new pair?! If you go to Les Westaway (ask most of our mutual friends at your rink, they'll point you in the right direction), take your present boots with you - he won't sell you new ones unless you need them, and may even be able to punch your present ones out, if they are still good, so that they are more comfortable.

Plus a new pair of laces (which he sells) can often work wonders!

Sonic
07-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks to all of you for the advice.

Mrs Redboots - as it happens my good friend Mintypoppet (the poor soul who's put up with my complaining for weeks!) suggested Les, we're possibly making a trip to see him soon.

Phew! Boy do I feel more positive than I did 24 hours ago!:)

S xxx