View Full Version : Adults who have skated at Marlborough,MA NEFSC

cecealias
07-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi folks, I will be visiting the Boston area and I was wondering if any adults have any experiences to share about the New England skating complex in Marlborough, MA. I am interested in possibly skating there, but now i'm being asked for my USFSA membership and test level.

Please let me know if people are nice or snobby there. THanks!

stardust skies
07-24-2006, 01:49 AM
Hi folks, I will be visiting the Boston area and I was wondering if any adults have any experiences to share about the New England skating complex in Marlborough, MA. I am interested in possibly skating there, but now i'm being asked for my USFSA membership and test level.

Please let me know if people are nice or snobby there. THanks!

You're being asked because NESC is one of the very few rinks who actually takes the safety of freestyle skaters SERIOUSLY. They divide all of their skating sessions by test level, no exceptions. Doesn't matter how old you are, but it matters what test you've taken (and obviously that you can still do the skills from those tests, if you're an adult who skated as a kid or something). I do believe there are a couple of "no test" sessions towards the end of the day that are full of little learn to skate kids and really not worth it. Either way, they do have a rule that you must be a member of the USFS to skate on freestyle sessions. This is pretty much "the norm" around there, Boxborough (aka Colonial) does it, too.

If you are not of a relatively high test level (Juv. and up), then I'd suggest their morning public sessions, instead. They are always empty, and adults do freestyle on them nearly every day. You might find it's more comfortable for you, both in finding peers and in the fact that yes, the freestyle sessions ARE a little bit snobby. This never bothered me, but it's something to keep in mind. The publics are usually held 10:30am to 12 noon, every weekday.

The complex is hands down THE most beautiful and spacious in the nation, though. Enjoy it.

Thin-Ice
07-24-2006, 04:24 AM
I hope you're not visiting there THIS week.. ISI Worlds at being held there and it will be crowded with lots of people at most times of the day and night! But it's a GORGEOUS facility with GREAT ice.. so I hope you have the chance to skate there.

flo
07-24-2006, 08:45 AM
I use to skate fs and pairs there. it was a very nice group of people!

cecealias
07-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback. I gave them my tests passed and they gave me back 6 different FS sessions throughout the day so its' quite flexible. What's up with the no weekend ice (not even public?) I don't know. I'm happy. There is also no public ice in the summer.

So thank GAWD i passed all those MITF and FS tests.

Stormy
07-24-2006, 06:15 PM
That's my home club and I worked there for a few years in the FS office. They're VERY VERY NICE! Stardust skies, do you skate there....do I know you??? Thanks for all the nice words, it's the best rink in the country! :)