View Full Version : Tucking in laces?

FallDownGoBoom
07-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Where in the boot, exactly, does one tuck one's laces? I've tried squishing them down each side, but a few minutes later that part of my ankle/leg is ouchy from the pressure of extra junk in the boot.

Sometimes I tuck them into the crossed-over parts of the laces, along the outside of the boot, but that tends to look a little goofball.:P

Solutions?

lovepairs
07-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Tuck them in inside the top of the boot, then either straight-leg pants over that whole area that has alastic at the bottom of the pants, or boot covers. I have a real phobia about my laces catching on the eye hook of my other boot. In my head it would be like being lassoed and having my legs pulled out from under me--fall down and really go boom. I always have my laced cemented away. I have such a phobia about this that when I see other skaters with their laces flying around, I get a really nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach--go figure!

vesperholly
07-23-2006, 01:48 PM
Tie the bows long enough so you can fit them over the top and bottom hook, then tuck the loose parts down the middle.

I personally can't stand having my laces tucked into the front of my boot. I practice with my tights pulled down over the top of the skate and the heel. When I compete freestyle (dance I wear over-the-boot tights), I tie my laces as above. I've never been worried about catching the lace on the hook because on my skates, there's barely enough room for the lace on the hook. I have however caught my blade in my tights before. :oops: Boom indeed.

TimDavidSkate
07-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Tie the bows long enough so you can fit them over the top and bottom hook, then tuck the loose parts down the middle..

I do the same thing, and for competition I put duct tape around my laces

luna_skater
07-23-2006, 04:07 PM
for competition I put duct tape around my laces

That must be tough to get off! I use hockey sock tape, packing tape, or sk8 tape. Sk8 tape is definitely the easiest to get off afterwards!

jazzpants
07-24-2006, 01:25 AM
What I do is... tuck laces over the top of the tougue of the boot, but have the top of my trouser socks roll out and over the top of my boots (with the tucked in laces.) Looks tidy and neat! Your laces will never come out of the folded trouser socks!!! :D

skating_life
07-24-2006, 08:07 AM
I never tuck my laces in.
That is probably because I always where over the boot tights.
They are just more comfortable to me.

quarkiki2
07-24-2006, 08:21 AM
I don't tuck, either. I wear my leggings over the laces and my Syncho team skated in over-the-boot tights.

Although, if I ever do a program on my own, I'll have to tuck because I don't care for the OTB tights, personally.

icedancer2
07-24-2006, 01:46 PM
I hook my bows on the 2nd to the top hooks and tuck the ends in. If that little aglet thing (the plastic bit at the end) is bugging me, I just re-turck.

Always have done it this way and generally it works for me. I also sometimes wear footless tights and that helps keep things neat, too.

flippet
07-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Tie the bows long enough so you can fit them over the top and bottom hook,

This is called (or at least I call it) 'butterfly tying'. I use it to create some extra tension and support across the front of the ankle (especially good if you're trying to squeeze a few more weeks out of a broken-down boot), and to take up the 'extra' lace. I tie the laces off with bows like normal, loop the loops over the top two, three, or all the hooks, depending, pull it tight, then tie what's left off with a bow again.

I generally wear nylon knee-hi's in my boot, so I usually just take the top of that and fold it down over the laces. And then I'm often wearing footless tights which also get pulled down over the laces (the layer of cheap nylon knee-hi's helps prevent snagging the more expensive tights on the hooks!). But if I'm just skating a public and wearing jeans, the nylons still tuck the laces in, and I don't have to worry about snagging a lace, or stuffing them into my boot somewhere.

sexyskates
07-24-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm also a non tucker. But I have started wearing over the boot tights for competition. After reading this posting though, maybe I should try some of that fancy lacing!

beachbabe
07-24-2006, 10:59 PM
well i just wear leggings, so i pull my skating socks over the boot and then the leggings on top, buuut...for a competition i use plain paper tape that you can get in the medical section in walgreens or the grocery store. its cheap, sticks well and comes off easy.

Mercedeslove
07-24-2006, 11:55 PM
I use OTB's so I don't tuck mine in.

TimDavidSkate
07-25-2006, 07:14 AM
That must be tough to get off! I use hockey sock tape, packing tape, or sk8 tape. Sk8 tape is definitely the easiest to get off afterwards!

I got used to it :lol:

NCSkater02
07-29-2006, 08:07 PM
I neither tuck mine, nor do I wear over the boot tights. Guess I'm the oddball here.

ouijaouija
07-30-2006, 05:32 AM
i just tuck them in the top of the boot...

BUT whenever i skate the lace gets loose and every so often I have to tie them up again!

that said i never tie them fully to the top because then I cant lean forward because they are on too tight with no space to bend